8.7

1. dodge should make this a major recall (84 reports)
  2. recall & replace at no cost to owner (73 reports)
  4. replace dashboard (24 reports)
  5. recall defective dash (4 reports)
  6. never buy another dodge (3 reports)
2000 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Dodge Ram 1500:

2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 8 of 11)

Aug 312006

Ram 1500 Sport

My dashboard had a minor crack about a year ago. Over the past year, the entire dashboard has caved in causing pieces to get clogged in my a/c vents. Finally replaced it but certainly seems like a factory defect because I've seen so many trucks like mine with the same problem.

- , Denham Springs, LA, USA

Apr 202005

Ram 1500 5.9L

Well, it's progressed to the point that large pieces have fallen in now.

And I can't even find a damn website to order a DASH (NOT A F'ING DASH COVER)!

- , Bogue Chitto, MS, USA

Jul 242004

Ram 1500 V8

Dodge should fess up and replace all the dashes. They know they were made very cheap while us buyers have to pay outrageous prices for their products. After years of owning American made cars and having nothing but problems I finally switched. I am happier now than I have ever been with my other autos. No wonder our auto industry is sinking under!

- , Arlington, TX, USA

Sep 092008

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L V8

Just wanted to add to the long list of dash problems !!!!!!!! 2000 Ram 1500 with cracked dash!

- , San Jose, CA, USA

Jan 012004

Ram 1500 Laramie V8

The dash is just falling apart. It is ridiculous. I really believe that this is a serious safety issue. If I am in an accident, even a minor accident and more pieces of the dash come loose it could go right through me. Unfortunately I do not have the convenience of waiting for a recall. I need to get this fixed to keep my family safe.

- , Sierra Vista, AZ, USA

Jan 152009

Ram 1500 5.2L V8

I have a 2000 Ram 1500 and the dash has all but disappeared. The dealer was no help and I have covered the dash with a cover, but the bezel around the instrument panel has cracked, and the clips are broken on the dash where the bezel should clip on. It seems somewhat odd that I should foot the bill for a couple of defective parts that now present a dangerous situation.

- , Sebastian, FL, USA

Feb 152004

Ram 1500 SLT

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

Same problem as most of you. The dashboard is falling in on itself, the front face is starting to crack, even the retaining ring on the lighter socket has cracked causing the lighter to disappear. I can only suggest going to NHTSA.gov and filing your beef under Recalls, Defects and Complaints Databases. If we all file, someone will notice!

- , Thibodaux, LA, USA

Jul 042004

Ram 1500 Sport 1500

I bought my Dodge Ram in the summer of 2000. By 25,000 miles the dash had cracked and within 6 months the dash fell in on the passenger side. This is a huge safety issue and my children have cut their hands on the huge hole thinking its a hiding place in the truck. I have glued it back together, taken pieces out to prevent them from bouncing around while I'm driving and put towels in the hole to hold the remaining parts of the dash in place.

I paid $24,000.00 for a truck that has been very reliable. Now that the truck has 75,000 miles the dash is pretty much fallen apart and the clear coat on the paint has come off. I stored the truck in a garage from nov 2005 to oct 2006 while I deployed to Iraq. I stored the truck again from Dec 2007 until Feb 2009 due to another trip to the sand box of Iraq only to find my truck even in a controlled environment falling apart "literally". I want to buy a new truck but I'm seriously considering buying a FORD that wont deteriorate while I'm deployed.

Dodge should step forward and do what's right. Fix the Dash boards for all these people who have to drive around in a safety hazard, waiting for a death caused by negligence of a company responsible for quality not quantity.

- , Colorado Springs, CO, USA

May 012001

Ram 1500 LX 3.2L V6

I wanted to add my name to the list, although I am sure Dodge won't do anything about it. Their attitude is they made the sale, your stuck with the problems. Wish I would have stuck with Toyota.

- , Amarillo, TX, USA

Jan 122002

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

I got in the truck to go to work and as the engine warmed up a little, I turned on the defrost for the windshield and heard a pop life a firecracker.The dash cracked from the defrost vent to the instrument panel. Since it was just a hairline crack,I put some all purpose glue on it that afternoon. I drove to work the next day, parked and went inside. That afternoon when I came out to my truck, the dash had cracked all the way across to the passenger side. Later that week I had glued so many pieces together, it looked like a jigsaw puzzle. Now all the pieces have fallen out.

One good thing about it is, when I go on vacation now, I can store all my luggage down behind the instrument panel. The dash has completely gone. Makes it easy to replace dash lights and access to anything else behind the dash.Dealer wanted $350 for another cheap pad. Don't think soooo! Maybe that's why they have had this problem, so they could make millions replacing that piece of shhhh! It wont happen with me.

- , Helena, 35080, USA

Nov 012007

Ram 1500 1500 V6

What is the deal with the Dodge Ram Dashboards? It sounds like a common problem, and Dodge needs to recall and replace everyone's broken one with a new one! Mine is like a massive cave in!

- , Lake Winnebago, MO, USA

Sep 072004

Ram 1500 Larimie 5.2L

Mine cracked in 04 and my neighbor has a 2001 and his cracked in 2005 after he told be that he keeps his under a cover that it would not crack.WRONG!!!! ALL are junk and they ALL should be replaced. Also I'm in the process of changing out motor due to the sorry pick-up screen on the oil-pump pick-up tube. Spoke to a local mech. and he said that he replaced a couple of oil pumps for low oil pressure but it was too late for the motor. same here replaced the oil pump good pressure for about a couple of months and the pressure would drop suddenly. the bearings are worn and no telling what else. service department said that it came from using SLICK-50, it comes from the stupid pan on the pick-up tube not letting all of the debris come out with the oil change. the opening is about the size of your thumb back to the first joint and all around the sides sets any debris. Quaker State oil part of the problem also, notice walmart has changed from Quaker mis-State Oil also. LAW SUIT SHOULD BE SOON

- , China Grove, NC, USA

Mar 242007

Ram 1500 1500 5.8

I THINK THAT A COMPANY AS BIG AS DODGE SHOULD RECALL THESE DASHBOARDS IT IS BULL SH*T THAT WE AS CONSUMERS SPEND THIS MONEY ON A VEHICLE NEW OR USED AND THEY FALL APART LIKE THIS I COULD UNDERSTAND IF IT WAS ONLY A FEW BUT FROM WHAT I HAVE READ AND THE PEOPLE I HAVE TALKED TO EVERYONE IS HAVING THE SAME COMPLAINT THAT I DO. I AM ASHAMED TO DRIVE MY TRUCK BECAUSE IT LOOKS LIKE TOTAL SH*T!!!! IT IS NO WONDER THAT PEOPLE ARE BUYING FOREIGN VEHICLES AT LEAST THEY STAND BY THEIR PRODUCT AND DO WHAT THEY CAN TO REPAIR IT!! NOT ONLY DOES A BROKEN DASH LOOK LIKE TRASH BUT IT IS ALSO DANGEROUS. I CAN'T COUNT HOW MANY TIMES THAT I HAVE GOTTEN CUT BECAUSE OUT OF HABIT I SET SOMETHING ON THE DASH AND IT FELL INTO THE GREAT PIT!!!

- , Lewisburg, TN, USA

Mar 182009

Ram 1500 5.7L V8

I was wandering around on the internet, browsing for typical problems with my new truck. Apparently, this is a more than common problem. My dash is cracked all to hell and it definitely should be recalled. I smell bullshit on the part of dodge; the least they could do is to replace these with a higher quality one.

- , Decatur, IL, USA

Sep 152007

Ram 1500 Quad V8

My husband and I had a construction company and purchased three Dodge Ram 1500 Trucks to help in our business. Six months after the purchase of the 2000 Ram 1500 Truck my husband died. I had to shut down the company and get rid of the other trucks but kept the 2000 Ram 1500 because it was the one my husband drove. I still have it and drive it daily. He always kept his vehicles in perfect running condition and looking like new. It was a weekly ritual for him to get out and maintain the vehicles keeping them like new. I still get compliments on the truck looking like new because I have kept as he would have in his memory. In the fall of 2007 I noticed a small crack coming from the defrost vent on the dash board. A few days later there was a larger crack - then it started traveling across the entire dash. I tried everything from keeping the dash lubricated to trying to stop the crack progression with glue. Nothing worked. It only took a couple of weeks before the dash board started falling apart in chunks. I removed two large chunks as they started to fall into the dash system under the dash board. I put a cover over the holes because they were so awful and I was always so proud of the appearance of the truck and was trying to keep it from looking like a hunk of junk. The holes also glared back at me in the windshield imparing my vision. They are located just above the steering wheel and instrument panel. (A definite safety problem) Being a widow and very little income, I don't have extra money to spend on these kind of repairs right away. I have been trying to save up to replace the dash board but have been told it would cost over twelve hundred dollars plus labor and taxes. A while after the dash board chunks came out I started having problems with my head lights. The low beam will not work. I have to use high beam whenever driving after dark so I try to make sure that I don't have to go out after dark very often. (Very inconvenient to have to leave early form a gathering to make sure I get home before dark or chance getting a sitation for not having low beams) I have had them checked and have been told that the problem is in the system that has to be accessed through the steering column or the dash board. Sounds to me like the problem started with the system being left without the protection of the dashboard. This is a major repair for cost as they have to remove the steering column to make the repair. Until today, when I was trying to find a dash cover on line, I didn't know that there were so many others who have the same problem and who are also having extended problems that are more than likely caused from the dashboard holes and cracks. Chrysler-Dodge should have more pride in their product than to allow this to continue without satisfaction of their once proud owners. We understand that there are sometimes problems for consumers and as long as the manufacturer of the products/vehicles stand behind their product they will always have loyal customers. This is just awful and shameful that Chrysler-Dodge has not made it their priority to make sure that this problem is taken care of for their customer. I have seen where many are changing or have changed to other make of vehicle. This is a terrible because I have always been proud to say "I have a Dodge Ram" but can no longer carry that tune. My truck still looks like new on the outside but when you get inside and see the dashboard it makes you sick. How can this company think they will remain customer choice for truck or cars if they don't handle the customer service with more pride of their product? These are hard times for our companies and our people. We can no longer stick with the same companies just out of our past loyalty. The company must prove their ongoing loyalty to us as their customer. I do think that a complaint to the Better Business Bureau or a Class Action Law Suit is in order if these problems are not handled. My truck had approximately 86 thousand miles on it when this problem happened and was under an extended warranty that was sold to me after the death of my husband by my dealership. It just breaks my heart to see the truck that he was so proud of - looking like this. Now I have to tell people that Dodge is not the company to purchase from if they want good customer relations. From what I have read it will not matter even if I put all the money into the replacement of the dashboard because of the replacements having the same problem. This is a definite product liability problem. Sad to loose my confidence in Chrysler-Dodge.

SS in Ga.

- , Douglasville, GA, USA

Feb 012007

Ram 1500 SLT Laramie 5.9L

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

I have a new dash I paid out of pocket for, about 360 bucks. Thanks to Dodge I have to replace the heart of my cab after only 80K miles. This is a safety issue if I've ever seen one. Mine is busted all around the passenger side airbag. If that thing were to ever go off the wreck wouldn't kill me, the plastic daggers ejecting themselves into my internal organs definitely would tough.

I mean, come on, Dodge. You charged me 24 grand for this truck in 99. You're telling me a truck that's mostly been garage kept, and has had shushades in it's windshield all it's life, cant hold up any longer than this? My 96 has about 160K on it. It sets outside day in and day out. NO cover. It's dash is perfect. (Though I have heard of many others with 97 and earlier dashes splitting like ours.

This is not merely an aesthetic problem. My clearcoat didn't peel after about 7 years of use. Only the core matrix that supports every driving function and safety feature in the cab is all. But I guess that is not a problem for a soon to be defunct automaker, now is it?

- , N. Richland Hills, TX, USA

Feb 122002

Ram 1500 Laramie SLT 5.2L V8

My Dodge dealer told me to use plastic epoxy to mend the ever growing crack in my dash. And then told me to buy a dashmat to cover it! What a nut! He even had the gall to tell me he has never had any complaints about the dash in the Dodge Rams! However, I brought evidence with me, he didn't expect that! Among the 250 page book I handed him was a full list of all the complaints from this website, among many others. His face turned red, than white as a ghost. He was caught! I had this planned for a while as I knew what would happen, that being total denial. Of course I told him I would like to file a formal complaint with his dealership and Dodge about this problem. He didn't know what to do, so he referrred me to the owner. I was not hesitant, I presented my book to him as well. In denial, he did allow me to file a complaint and promised to refer the problem to his Dodge Contacts. Right! Some of you did better than I. At least they offered some a new dash. Plus installation mind you, what 3-4 hundred dollars? I got the shaft, like most of you. It is obviously going to take a Civil Suit against Dodge to make good on this major problem. Any attorneys out there own a Dodge Ram? Want a challenge? Let's take on this big Dodge Empire and prove to them that when Americans buy an American Truck, they want a reliable truck that includes something that they have yet to discover: Good, ethical, reliable and "Care about our Customer's", Customer Service! I'm in if you guys are! It can be done! Thanks for reading. If there is anyone out there that is willing to help us thousands of Ram owners.....please contact me using the Send Comment link below.

- , Frankfort, KY, USA

Mar 252008

Ram 1500 V8

Dodge has pos dashes.... I will never own one again. This is BS.

- , Lubbock, TX, USA

Jan 052009

Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 5.9L

Just wanted to add my name for the list. It amazes me that on this site alone there are literally hundreds of people complaining about this exact problem. Ram dashes have been cheap throughout the entire 2nd generation line. Since I bought this truck used I just bought a DashMat for $55 and covered it up.

- , Livingston, IL, USA

Jan 062006

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

I bought this used with one tiny crack that turned into more than a dozen throughout and actually falling inward. Every dodge truck owner I have talked to have said there are cracks in their trucks also. I used to love dodge but now I'd go ford or metric. Ashamed of our auto industry.

- , Ormond Beach, FL, USA