8.7

1. dodge should make this a major recall (84 reports)
  2. recall & replace at no cost to owner (73 reports)
  4. replace dashboard (24 reports)
  5. recall defective dash (4 reports)
  6. never buy another dodge (3 reports)
2000 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Dodge Ram 1500:

2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 4 of 11)

Apr 152005

Ram 1500 5.2L V8

Like many others, I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500. There isn't much to say except the dash is falling apart, and disintegrating every day. There are super sharp edges, and should I get in a accident I fear that the airbag may not deploy, or get cut up in the process.

I currently bought an aftermarket cover to hide the holes, but I still hear pieces falling.

- , McKinney, TX, USA

May 102004

Ram 1500 SLT 5.2V8

The problem started with just a crack, but progressed rather rapidly until huge chunks were gone. The vehicle was recently in a collision, but the dash was not completely shattered. The insurance company that's fixing the truck said they wouldn't fix the dash because there has been a recall on the dashes ----WRONG!!! Dodge needs to fix this!!!!!!

- , Marshall, TX, USA

Apr 122011

Ram 1500 4x4 5.9L V8

love my truck except when I noticed some cracks appearing from nowhere and then it turned into a gaping hole. it really looks like junk. I can't afford a new one and I think Dodge needs to step up to the plate and address this issue now.

- , Hatboro, PA, USA

Jul 042009

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L

I have a dash that looks like a jigsaw.Cracks all over the dash...WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER DODGE.

- , Mercer, TN, USA

Nov 012004

Ram 1500 318

It started with a few cracks (on a 4 yr old vehicle?) and just went crazy from there. The entire dash has disintegrated to a point that there is no dash! I think it's disgusting that, with the number of complaints that Dodge hasn't done a recall or offered a fix. When you pay almost $30k for a vehicle, you expect it to last...especially a truck. I used to be a Dodge fan. I won't buy another one... I can't sell this one!

- , Ladson, SC, USA

May 222005

Ram 1500 V Twin

I love this truck but I don't think it should be my responsibility to pay for this. If this is a defect Dodge SHOULD replace them all for NOTHING! I'm afraid that one day it'll fall off completely in my lap if I go over a railroad crossing or speed bump of huge proportions. HELP!

- , Altamonte Springs, FL, USA

Dec 052010

Ram 1500

if you have a problem with something, then it looks like you'd made a recall.i like the truck but need the dash to stay in good shape.who wants to pay a good price for something that tears up due to faulty equitment.please try and help people out with this problem.i can't afford to pay the amount they want just for the part alone.

- , Union, SC, USA

Jul 062004

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L V8

Bought my 2000 Dodge Ram new in Feb 2001. At approximately 75,000-80,000 my dashboard starting cracking on the driver's side where the vent is. I immediately took it to the dealership where I was abruptly advised "That isn't under warranty, try epoxy. You are on your own". This was when Colorado Springs Dodge was Carlin Dodge. Now, Dealin' Doug has Colorado Springs Dodge and Andy Varela, the Service Manager said he would cut me a screaming deal of $1000 to replace it. Now, this is AFTER many conversations with Chrysler Corporation where I stated my mechanic said it was a safety issue, this is a widespread, almost epidemic problem and that I gladly make repairs to parts that are electrical or mechanical in nature. Chrysler will lull you into false security and hopes. Jessica, the case agent agreed with everything I noted to her. I followed her instructions and had my mechanic take the truck to the dealership so one of their techs could see the dash. Bud Smith looked at it and said "Yep. That is a defective dashboard". This was on December 29th, 2010. On January 3rd, 2011 (5 days after Bud rendered his opinion) Bud is miraculously no longer with Colorado Springs Dodge. So, after many cellphone minutes wasted, my truck sitting in limbo at my mechanic's garage, I got the "We sure sympathize with you and we understand how you must feel" speech that they train their agents to say. They agree it is a problem. They agree it is widespread. They agree the plastics used were not of the best quality and perhaps workmanship. They agree to all of this and STILL no help. Andy Varela is a crook and I hope he sees this post. A $1000 screaming deal??? How do you live with yourself, Andy?

- , Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Jul 012006

Ram 1500 V6

I bought the truck in July 2006. The dash was cracked like a dry riverbed. Since then pieces have fallen down inside the dash and the rattle driving down the road is awful. I tried to reach inside to remove loose pieces. I only succeeded in cutting my hand on the sharp plastic edge of the remaining dash. My truck runs like new works great but looks like it belongs in a junkyard. It is hard to be proud to own a Dodge when the company that makes them does not care what they produce or what the product looks like.

- , New Bern, NC, USA

Jan 012010

Ram 1500

dash looks like a jigsaw puzzle. cannot be glued or capped since there is nothing left to attach anything to. definately needs to be replaced. was told by local dodge dealer that with parts and installation will run between $1000-$1200 to fix completely. this is complete and total b.s. since it appears that this is a manufacturer problem that has been going on for some time.

- , Camp Hill, PA, USA

Aug 312005

Ram 1500 STD V8 Magnum

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

I TOOK IT TO A DEALER WHEN I NOTICED THE PROBLEM....THEY SAID IT WAS A DASH SHINE PRODUCT THAT CAUSED THE PROBLEM.....ANY FULL SERVICE CAR WASH COMPANY USES A DASH SHINE....NEVER NOTICED THIS PROBLEM ON A CHEVY OR FORD......AT LEAST NOT THIS BAD.....NOT IMPRESSED WITH THE PLASTIC MATERIAL DODGE USED FOR THESE DASH BOARDS.....ALL OWNERS SHOULD COMPLAIN.....THIS IS A MAJOR SAFETY HAZARD IN CASE IS AN ACCIDENT....THE DASH COULD CAUSE MAJOR CUTS WITH THESE SHARP EDGES....I WILL NEVER BUY A DODGE PRODUCT BECAUSE OF THE WAY DODGE HANDLED THIS SITUATION....NOR WILL I ENCOURAGE ANY ONE I KNOW TO PURCHASE A DODGE PRODUCT....

- , Katy, TX, USA

Oct 122005

Ram 1500 Offroad 5.9L

I just recently purchased a dodge 2000 and there is many crack on the dashboard and some missing pieces, dodge should be willing to repair this problem, with no cost to the owner.

- , Sidney, OH, USA

Jan 282010

Ram 1500 Quad Cab Sport 5.9L V8

Dash is falling apart, cracked and just unacceptable material used to make the plastics in this truck! Dangerous

- , Salina, KS, USA

Sep 042010

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

I got the truck in Sept. 2010 and saw that there was a protective cover on the dash. Thinking not that they were hiding anything, i took it of and the dash is cracked in numerous places. BUY CHEVY!!!!!

- , New Milford, PA, USA

May 152004

Ram 1500 Laramie

just the frigging dash is busted all over and falling inside the dash. even the instrument cluster cover is broken.

- , Lake City, TN, USA

Jun 262004

Ram 1500 5.9L

The 3 different dealers said your out of warranty and there is nothing I can do. My whole dash except for a few edge pieces are left. The bezel that covers the dash edge is also cracked and the plastic frame that holds the instrument panel and ac/heat fan is broke.

Just recently when accelerating to merge in to traffic the instrument panel tilted toward the the steering wheel. I'm a dodge fan when it comes to trucks. But ford and Chevy are starting to look pretty right now. I was told to day 1/26/2011 the dash and broke frame would cost me right close to $2000.00. I would almost part out the truck if it wasn't just under 60k miles.

- , Warner Robins, GA, USA

Feb 192008

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L

I have talked to several different people that own dodges and have the same problem what is taking dodge so long to fix this issue if they cant tell they have an issue by now what else would they just let go and turn there head on brakes,engine i guess someone has to get hurt or even worse before its a problem what a joke dodge,

- , Sullivan, IN, USA

Feb 012006

Ram 1500 LX 5.7L V8

there was a dash cover. when i bought the truck. i decided to take it of one day and to my suprise there wasn't no dash there. i don't even know how the cover stayed up on it. anyways i just saw this sight and decided to say somethingr about it. the truck is still in great shape but the dash looks so sick. i think there should be something done about it

- , Robards, KY, USA

Jan 012008

Ram 1500 Larime 5.9L V8

well....it started as one crack then went to several now all the cracks connected and the whole dash fell in ..... i have absolutely no dash at all in my truck .... my truck is still in perfect condition except for the dash I think dodge should fix the problem

- , Nocona, TX, USA

Mar 012010

Ram 1500 V8

Why does Dodge think that they don't have to stand behind this defect, they should have to let the buyer know when they have a problem like this. This should be a law, especially when they knew about this since 1998. This is a safety issue. When you pay as much as we did for a truck, we were expecting it to last longer then this. Dodge should own up to all of the bad dashboards and replace them with no cost to the customer. We will think twice before we buy another Dodge, because you don't know what they will hide next. They don't stand behind their vehicles.

- , Sheboygan, WI, USA