1. dodge should make this a major recall (84 reports)
  2. recall & replace at no cost to owner (73 reports)
  4. replace dashboard (24 reports)
  5. recall defective dash (4 reports)
  6. never buy another dodge (3 reports)
2000 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Dodge Ram 1500:

2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 5 of 11)

Jan 012005

Ram 1500 Sport V8

With as many people having the exact same problem DODGE should stand by their obvious defect and replace the product. Not with the same defective plastic, but with something that will last. Great truck still going strong. TRASH for the DASH!!!

- , Elton, LA, USA

Jun 012008

Ram 1500 5.9L V8

love my 2000 dodge ram pickup nothing but great service out of it but about 3 or more years ago i noticed a crack in the dash then another than another now the dash has cracks all over. i can get a dash skin through lmc trucks for about 130 dollars or a cover for about 50. i have other people having the same problem. i first thought was sun and heat problems but my truck is garage kept. what have any of you experienced and what have been your solutions?

- , Lebanon, KY, USA

Dec 102006

Ram 1500

We finally got our truck paid off the truck is in excellent condition other than the dashboard....the dash looks hideous... I have seen numerous dodge trucks he same model as ours and it is absurd that we have to pay to have the dashboard fixed when it is obvious to me that the manufacture knows it is a problem and they continue to use the same material over and over again

- , Dayton, TN, USA

Oct 232010

Ram 1500

My dash started to crack about 4 months ago and finally last month it totally caved in. My wife bought the truck brand new and I have never had any problems with it until last month which is about 10yrs in. My transmission went up and the dash caved in last month. Reading all of these complaints makes me wonder why Dodge hasn't recalled or at least make available a replacement part at there cost. They need to step up and see what can be done about these dashboards.

- , Lula, GA, USA

Aug 262010

Ram 1500 ES 3.2L V6

A large chunk has fallen on my dash. There is a large gap in the dash on top of the glove compartment

- , Knoxville, TN, USA

Jun 252006

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L

There is not much to say other than my truck looks like sh*t with the dash like this.I cant believe you can pay so much for something to fall apart so quick.Dodge needs to step up and take care of the problems they sell you.Transmissions were bad enough,and then throw in some sh*tty plastic to top it off.WHAT THE HELL GUYS..MAKE IT RIGHT FOR YOUR VALUED CUSTOMERS!!!!!!

- , Saint Clairsville, OH, USA

Oct 152007

Ram 1500 V8

This 2000 Dodge Ram is seldom driven and has just over 50K miles on it when the cracks first started. It was purchased in Memphis and we stayed there 1 year with no cracks, moved to SC and lived there 4 years with no cracks, moved to PA in Feb 2006 and I noticed my first 12"- 14" crack. From there I began having cracks initiating from the windshield up.

This type of problems are the reason why the imports are taking over the auto industry.

The manufacturers should step up to the plate and acknowledge that this is not an isolated incident, I know it's not a safety issue but it is a clear workmanship and product issue that effects everyone's investment in their product, resulting in our loss on a resale

- , Lanfrum, SC, USA

May 012006

Ram 1500 1500

My main complaint is that there is NO fix for this problem. I could get at least another 5 years of driving out of this truck, as it is only used as an emergency vehicle, mainly because of the dash. I don't feel safe driving it, especially with children. The dash shards would certainly shatter with any significant impact and I feel would cause severe injuries. Dodge could at least provide the replacement part at a discount, but I want it recalled and replaced for free.

- , Spring, TX, USA

Jul 192008

Ram 1500 Sport 5.2L

My dash began to crack and I knew that it wouldn't be much longer till it was in pieces. My cousin has a 98 ram 1500 and I saw what had happened to his dash. I decided to remove the dash while it was still in one piece and then I took it to a body shop that does rhino liner bed linings. They prepared it and covered it in a light layer of the bed liner material. So far it is holding up great and looks great too. It is available in many colors and has a nice textured surface. I would think it could be used even on a dash that is in several pieces as long as you still have all of the pieces. It only cost me about $80.00 and I believe it's pretty much indestructible now, even if the original continues to crack underneath the bed liner should hold it all together and I can't see any of the original cracks underneath it . I figure if it holds up well in the beds of trucks it should last forever on a dash.

- , Lewistown, PA, USA

Jan 102009

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L V8

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

I've had my truck only since January 10, 2009 (84,800 miles on it at the time) and I've taken care of it as if it's family. When I bought the truck I noticed two small cracks that ran down the dash. At the time, I didn't think anything of it, but soon realized that this is an EXTREMELY common problem among dodge rams in my year range. As the days go by, more and more cracks develop all over the dash. I now have multiple HOLES in it and some pieces have fallen through (luckily I was still able to pull them out). If you look up "cracked dash" SO MANY things come up for it. I read through most of the complaints on this site and now I'm only waiting for my dash to completely fall through. This is the crappiest plastic I've ever seen, it just disintegrates in front of you! In some of the complaints I've read on this site, people were talking about possible pieces cutting through a person in the vehicle in the case of an accident (can the airbags launch these pieces of crap through the air)? How can Dodge NOT recall this? Is this not serious enough for them to own up to it? I don't think anybody who owns a Ram has an extra $500-$800 for a new dash considering how fast they burn through gas (especially anybody else that has the 5.9).

DODGE, you should really own up to this and make it a recall or you're going to lose a LOT of once-satisfied customers. I love my truck, but I hate the cosmetic problems. Keep in mind, my first choice was a SILVERADO. -Leah P. Spring, Texas

- , Spring, TX, USA

Oct 012009

Ram 1500 5.2L V8

Noticed a big crack right above the steering wheel one morning, went to work to Google a replacement and that's when I saw all the complaints about the crappy plastic used to make them. I found plenty of sites selling covers, but I want to replace the dash so it doesn't disintegrate underneath and catch something on fire. Good luck finding a "Replacement" dash, you really gotta read the fine print on all these web sites, it's crazy. To ad insult to injury, my tape deck went out, and when I went to replace it instrument bezel practically fell apart in my hands as I removed it. Every single metal clip stayed in the dash with a broken piece of the bezel still in it. :'( Once again, good luck finding a replacement, everything is a cover, which in my current bezels condition does no good at all, unless I just plan on gluing it back onto my cracked dash.

To this date no big chunks have fallen out, but there are three separate cracks now slowly working their way across my dash, and once they meet up I'll defiantly have a hole or two.

Dodge, do the right thing, please...

- , Wichita Falls, TX, USA

Jan 012003

Ram 1500 SLT 5.2L

I have been trying to look for a fix for about 2-3 years between deployments and now retired from active duty. I have discovered that this is a common problem among owners of Dodge Rams. I have mine covered with an after market "carpet". The biggest complaint is that after years of owning this Dodge the dash cracks and small particles of debris can get into the air vents and blow inside of the truck. I am concerned that the quality of air is further hampered by this "dry insulation" that is being vented into my truck cab.

- , Smyrna, GA, USA

Jul 152006

Ram 1500 Sport 5.2L V8

Dash is all cracked to pieces and keeps getting worse.

- , Provo, UT, USA

Sep 152010

Ram 1500 5.9L V8

I could not believe that I was just sitting in my truck and the dash just fell in in front of my eyes. I noticed small cracks in the dash a few weeks back but did not really investigate the severity of it. It is abosolutely a situation where as the consumer having no control over the defect that, the manufacturer, YES I MEAN YOU Diamler Chrysler, should do something about it. From one side of the truck to the other are cracks and splits and I am waiting for it all to cave in like a avalache!! I am very upset about this and have never seen anything like it before, and no one else I have spoke to has either. THIS NEEDS TO BE A RECALL!!

- , Ferndale, MI, USA

Jul 012007

Ram 1500 Laramie 5.9L V8

The dash started with a one little crack, then many more started forming and converging. Now entire chunks of my dash have fallen apart. It is very dangerous as there are sharp shards of plastic. I frequently use a windshield shade to protect my dash, but apparently this dash is just crap and from what I hear there are thousands of people with this same problem. Dodge should really address this. I could pay $900 for a replacement dash, but it will be made out of the same crap material.

- , Grapevine, TX, USA

Aug 022010

Ram 1500 V8

I bought this Dodge Pick-Up Ram 1500 new in 2000, I now have a problem with my A/C and have not found anyone that will fix it due to My Cracked Dash. I have found out that Many Dodge Vehicles have had this problem and I feel that Dodge should replace this dash or at the least share the cost to replace the Cracked Dash. I have taken extra good care of this Truck, It looks as good today as it did the day I bought it, and now the Dash looks like Crape ! Dodge should put a recall on these cracking Dash Boards and replace the ones that are in Bad Need ! I feel that this could be unsafe and could cause major problems while driving this vehicle. I Know that Dodge could care less, But I feel that If Dodge wants to keep me in the Dodge Family,, HELP Me with this issue.

- , Rock Spring, GA, USA

Apr 072005

Ram 1500 Sport 4x4 5.9L

i want a major recall and a new dash. this is ridiculous. a bomb wouldn't have broken it into more pieces.

- , Garland, TX, USA

Jun 012009

Ram 1500 ES 3.2L V6

Dash is cracking in several lines across from the windshield to the front edge.

- , Knoxville, TN, USA

Dec 102008

Ram 1500 V8

Purchased this truck used in 2002, looked great, still does. Kept clean, nothing placed on dash, other than occasional atlas or map. Noticed cracks in winter of 08 started with 3 running from windshield to bezal. Looks like crap. I keep thinking of getting a cover such as coverlay but with every one talking about holes and pieces falling in I'm afraid the pieces will cause damage inside and I won't know. Love the truck other than this issue.

- , Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Jun 012008

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

My truck has 52,000 miles on it and I hardly drive it. The dashboard is disintegrating before my eyes! I drove it today and it had two more major cracks! The car looks like new, the dashboard looks like it was smashed with a hammer. I will not buy another Dodge.

- , Plantation, FL, USA