8.5

1. Dodge should issue a recall (373 reports)
  2. replace dash (114 reports)
  4. bought a dash cover (7 reports)
  5. glue it back together (5 reports)
  6. dodge needs to pay for 1/2 or all the cost of parts/repair (2 reports)
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Dodge Ram 1500:

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 11 of 30)

Aug 122010

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard

I had a 00 Ram,beautiful truck.After about 6mos after I bought it dash started cracking and kept getting worse.Called Dodge but got the runaround they said it was because of heat.And would not do anything about it.So I had to replace it myself $1100 dollars worth.Finally sold it and swore I,d never own another one.But about 6mos ago I found another one I liked an 01 the dash was crack free so I bought it about a mo. later this dash also cracked and the transmission is making noise in reverse.Have been trying to sell it $2000 below what I paid for it but no luck.truck is nothing but a money pit.I don't think dodge will ever fix the problem.As for me NO MORE DODGES!!!!

- , Norton, Va., USA

Jun 122006

Ram 1500 LarietSLT

The complete dashboard has broken up like a potato chip and is falling into the bottom of dashboard. If the airbag is deployed due to accident the passenger will be hurt severely by these chunks of plastic which are different sizes and sharp. I am twice the age of the State Farm agent and he told me it was caused by the sun. I have lived through 50 Texas summers and not one vehicle I have ever own looked this bad.

- , Richland Hills, TX, USA

Nov 012005

Ram 1500 5.9L

After a long search, I have found that this is a common problem with the Doge Ram trucks. If Dodge does not do anything about this then we need to. Everyone having this problem with Dodges needs to call 1800-992-1997. We need to get together as a group and get these dashes recalled.

- , Tyler, TX, USA

Oct 222009

Ram 1500

Well I love my dodge but I was absolutely done with Dodge not taking action when it came to the severe cracking in the dash and bezel of my vehicle. After a lot of research I found a company here in Pompano that makes dashboard replacements. About a year ago I replaced it myself and it only cost 329 for the replacement which wasn't as bad as some other solutions I had found. If you're to the point where you can't deal anymore look them up (Plastic Parts, Inc.)

- , Wellington, FL, USA

Mar 052005

Ram 1500 4x4 5.9L

I don't know why I never took the time to investigate about Dodge problems before buying this peace of S#$"!!, I bought it used with the dash broken, the guy who I got it from said that it cost very low ($50.00) for a new one, 'till I found out myself later, and now i know that this is a defect from manufacturer, I am so pissed and disappointed. Why the heck if government already knows about it, don't help?, maybe we should join our voices and ask our congress to act immediately.

- , Minneapolis, MN, USA

Aug 142009

Ram 1500

Cracks, Cracks, Holes and both dash and bezel fell apart. This is ridiculous to have to deal with and Dodge refuses to step up and take care of an obvious factory issue. Nice vehicle low quality will never buy from Dodge or Chrysler again.

- , Groesbeck, TX, USA

Dec 012010

Ram 1500

Looks really bad, Dodge screwed this up so they should fix it.

- , Jenks, OK, USA

Feb 142004

Ram 1500 V8

We love our Dodge Ram except the dash board is cracked really really bad it has just crumbled....It would be really nice if Dodge would have a recall and just fix the problem.

- , Beggs, OK, USA

Feb 122003

Ram 1500 5.9L V8

I think that the auto maker should fix the problem. After all we buy something new and something like this happens,if anyone has an accidental the broken pieces could hurt someone or it could fall into the wireing and short something out.also it could cause problems with the airbags.I think ir should be fix real soon, I am sure that any of the people that think it isn't a problem aren't driving a truck with a broken dashboard.If they are they sure have had it fixed by now.

- , Miami, AZ, USA

Dec 032010

Ram 1500 Sport 4X4 5.2L V8

The dash on my truck started cracking about 5 years ago. At first it was just one crack. This year it has really deteriorated. There are lots of cracks and a number of holes where chunks of plastic have fallen in. The bezel around the instrument panel also started cracking this year - and is now partially detached and flapping.

I am glad I found this site and am not alone in having this problem. Chrysler should recall these vehicles or offer a replacement dash / bezel problem - as there is clearly a manufacturing defect with these components. I will be contacting them to complain and ask them to pay all (or part) of the cost of replacing these parts.

Other than the dash I love the vehicle - it's been pretty reliable.

- , League City, TX, USA

Oct 102003

Ram 1500 XLT 360

Extremely unhappy! I'll never but Dodge again! Dodge take care of this.

- , Coxs Creek, KY, USA

Nov 042009

Ram 1500 318

The dash started cracking in the middle of the dash and went all the way into the trim . The whole dash is now cracked and pieces are falling through .I believe it to be very unsafe.

- , Wakeman, OH, USA

Jul 192007

Ram 1500 Quad

I bought the truck used in 2005 ,small crack in dash. Slowly but surly crack got larger and additional cracks kept on appearing.

I literary have a dash board of cracks and holes.

- , Naples, FL, USA

Jan 012006

Ram 1500 Slt Lariat 5.9L V8

We bought the 2001 Dodge 1500(SLT Lariat 5.9L V8) in Jan 2000 to replace my used 92 tempo that never had a cracked dash. my now ex wanted to get a tiny Mazda, but I insisted on this truck b'c i felt safer in it-and I do. Plus if you are a True Texan you get an American truck. And I love this truck but I hate the makers-I am not sure who they are because the label says US/MEXICO/CANADA- (Thanks NAFTA). But my dashboard started w a crack, then it made a quarter size triangle shape that caved in that rattled. Then in the past 3 years the cracks started appearing like crazy, and the frame hangs on. Fortunately, No one hardly sits in the passenger side, as my son sits in the back. But when people get in-they get the warning "DON"T TOUCH!"- or better yet my scream, as if it were protecting a work of art. Now I have to remove the Heater core-ANother DODGE problem-cooling/heating system-Since 2003(minus 1 yr of driving while I was in Korea) I already replaced Hoses water pumps thermostats radiator caps, radiator, and it's still leaking!!!.The dealership has done the major work on this too. I am wondering if this is worth it? But w everyone complaining about the crappy craftsmanship of this dashboard, it is not hard to see that it can't be replaced cheaply by going to the junkyard-they are broken there too! And the dealership probably will sell you another crappy dashboard. i am not willing to risk the 700-1000 on a dashboard. They are already trying to charge that for the heater core! Next time I would say I am, going foreign, but I wonder about the Tundra being made right here in SA, Tx?

PS Does anybody know where the dashboard was made?

Adios mi Dodge!

- , Texas, TX, USA

Aug 012009

Ram 1500 Sport 5.2L

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

Dash is cracking for no reason. I'm afraid to even touch it because it will cave in. I've seen numerous complaints over the internet describing the same problem. Due to the all the cracking pieces my dash board sounds like a bowl of rice krispies.

- , Hollywood, FL, USA

Jun 032008

Ram 1500 4x4 5.2L

IF DODGE WONT FIX THE PROBLEN I WILL NEVER BUY ANY THING FROM THEM AGAIN AS LONG AS I LIVE AS FAR AS I AM CONCEREND THE CAN SHOVE IT UP THEIR ASSES

- , Hammond, LA, USA

Jul 232008

Ram 1500

The dash was cracked when I purchased the vehicle over two years ago. There were cracks running over the area above the steering wheel and over the glove compartment, running into the area of the passenger airbag. It has steadily gotten worse. Just yesterday the front cover quite literally exploded into fragments. The dash is currently not attached, it is just hanging. It stays in place for the most part but can very easily be lifted.

I have seen, heard and read of many other Dodge dashboards with this same problem. If it is so prevalent, the manufacturer should be held responsible. A solution to this defect, be it a recall or reimbursement for repairs, is seriously past due.

- , Tallahassee, FL, USA

Nov 102009

Ram 1500 5.9L

I to have a dodge ram 1500 with a cracked dash. Has anyone had it fixed? If so how much did it cost and where can u go to have it done or is it easy enough to do on your own?

- , Hemet, CA, USA

Oct 012008

Ram 1500 V8

Numerous, spontaneous cracks all over dash. Manufacturer claims no fault of theirs. DO THE RIGHT THING!!!

- , Knoxville, TN, USA

Jul 152008

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

Great truck except now the dash is coming apart. Started out just a small crack and now has spread into 6 different cracks across the dash. Every crack has started around the screw holes that hold the dash in place up by the windshield. Need to throw away the power tools when installing and just use good ole hand power is my guess on why it is cracking in these spots

Update from Nov 17, 2010: Just got off the phone with Chrysler today. They wil give me a $250.00 co-pay towards a new dash and pick up the rest of the tab. Not a free dash but very much can live with this. Just took some time and a phone call to Chrysler, am happy with the results.

- , Springfield, MO, USA