8.5

1. Dodge should issue a recall (374 reports)
  2. replace dash (116 reports)
  4. bought a dash cover (8 reports)
  5. glue it back together (5 reports)
  6. dodge needs to pay for 1/2 or all the cost of parts/repair (2 reports)
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Dodge Ram 1500:

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 13 of 30)

Mar 012010

Ram 1500 2DR 3.9

DODGE SHOULD HAVE A RECALL ON THESE BAD DASHBOARDS OR HAVE THEM FIXED. MINE IS SPLIT RIGHT DOWN THE MIDDLE OF MY DASH. DEALER SAID IT WILL COST AT LEAST 700.00 DOLLARS TO FIX.

IF THIS IS A DEFECT WHY WON'T DODGE FIX THEM. IT'S NOT OUR PROBLEM IF IT IS BAD MATERIAL FROM THE FACTORY

- , Durham, NC, USA

Jun 052005

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

I've read a ton of complaints about cracked dashes on Dodge Rams so I felt inclined to post. Originally it was just a couple of cracks and I had planned to put on a cover when I returned from deployment. The blender door in my A/C unit had stripped so I had to remove the dash to replace it. When I removed the screws from the dash, it crumbled and fell apart. Now I have gaping holes in my dash and don't even think there is enough dash left to attach a cover to. This is clearly a manufacturing defect and I'm now very concerned. I've read many complaints about exposed wiring. I now have this problem. I've spoken with a couple of master mechanics from Dodge off the record and they claim that even to this date Dodge is using the same process for dashboards. Dodge needs to issue a recall for this problem or at least pay for the replacement.

- , Middleburg, FL, USA

Jul 152005

Ram 1500 5.7L V8

life long dodge owner very disappointed in this problem. dodge should stand behind with a recall or compensation to all the owners.

- , Marshalltown, IA, USA

May 122009

Ram 1500 LX 3.2L V6

Went out from work and the dash had cracked straight across on the passanger side then it contued to break apart ,My question is what effect will this have on the air bag since it is mounted under the dash , I think dodge should replace each one since this was a defect on all the 1998 through 2006 they can not say it was from abuse.

- , Farmington, AR, USA

Aug 082010

Ram 1500 V6

I just want this fixed. I am concerned that this is an electrical safety hazard especially when my family is riding with me. No vehicle should fall apart like this dashboard did. It just crumbled and cracked to pieces.

- , Byram, MS, USA

Oct 012005

Ram 1500 V8

Purchased truck summer of 2005 from dealer. Second owner. Only 32,000 miles when purchased with an extended Gold warrenty to 75,000 miles. By October 2005 we noticed significant cracks forming on dash top and the sunglass holder clip broke off and would not stay closed. Tried to keep it conditioned and covered but dash began breaking into pieces. Took to dealership but our expensive bumber to bumber extended warrenty excluded interior trim! Quoted $700 to replace dash but told most likely all would need to be replaced as it would break as they started to take things apart. They knew it was all crap! Replacement would be same crap plastic and told most likely would do the same.

Began looking for other options when we started seeing other people with same problems. It's Sept. 2010 and we have no dash...front dash plastic now also cracking and breaking off...glovebox broke off...junk! Truck only has 46,000 miles on it. Looks new till you look inside! Will buy a Ford or Toyota Truck next time!

- , Smithville, TX, USA

Aug 192010

Ram 1500 ES 5.9L V8

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard

I've been told this is common on dodge trucks. After reading about all of the complaints on on this vehicle's dash cracking, it is bullshit that the dodge company is not having a recall on this cheap ass plastic.

- , Richmond, VA, USA

Jul 142009

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

Dash board cracked even though I used a dash protector every time I parked the truck outside. The truck is normally stored in a garage. I do not know why they say American made when they contain so many import parts.

- , Arlington, TN, USA

Sep 022010

Ram 1500 Laramie SLT 5.2L

The cracks in the dash were first noticed back in summer of 2007 when they made a noticeable vibration noise,,,,,I had hoped that they would not get worse but today as I was driving to work a large piece of the dash top just caved in on an angle right infront of the steering wheel. I reached up and pulled out the large totally fractured piece and when i took it out, another piece caved in and then another and then yet another.....In total, 5 pieces just snapped off ....I couldnt believe it...I thought my truck was desintegrating right before my eyes and as I was driving it. I had never seen or even heard of dashboards breaking up with this kind of severity......When I got to work and showed some co-workers what had happened, They too could not beleive it until they looked at it themselves. One co-worker suggested I google "Dodge Ram recalls" with the reasoning that if it happened to me then it must have happened to other Dodge Ram owners as well.....Obviously he was right....On this site alone the cracked dashboards of Dodge Ram complaints numbred over 300...Exactly how many Complaints must be noted for the exact same problem before Dodge decides to treat there customers with some amount of Respect and appreciation

Billy

- , Mechanicsburg, PA, USA

Aug 012008

Ram 1500 4.6L V8

Well my dash has almost fallen thru...this is ridiculous!! I thought it was just me, but come to find out all these models do it. This is a MAJOR SAFETY issue. I went to trade my truck in and come to find out the salesman told me that all the Dodge's he has seen have the same problem with cracking dashes. So, of course they didnt want to give me what my truck was worth due to my dash. DODGE NEEDS TO RECALL THIS PROBLEM!! I am really concerned especially if I had a wreck there is nothing there to protect me. My dash is at the point where its getting ready to fall completely thru..I mean its in pieces. I shouldn't have to pay to fix it, when all these models are having the same problem. Its dropping the value on the truck. DODGE YOU NEED TO HAVE A RECALL!!

- , Nicholasville, KY, USA

Mar 012009

Ram 1500 SLT 5.2L V8

A piece of the broken dash top fell through the dash and lodged behind the gas pedal. I was able to coast to a parking lot where I was able to remove it. I can only imagine how much worse this would have been had it fallen behind the break pedal.

- , Columbus, GA, USA

Sep 132005

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

i THINK DODGE SHOULD TAKE CARE OF THIS . IF IT WAS ONE OR TWO OK BUT ITS EVERONE OF THEM THAT YOU SEE.

- , Georgetown, TN, USA

Feb 102005

Ram 1500 5.9L

2001 Dodge Ram dash is falling apart , theres nothing left just a big hole, can't believe dodge hasn't done anything about it !

Can't even trade this crap in for a new truck dealers say its worthless.

- , Tampa, FL, USA

Aug 102010

Ram 1500 5.2L V8

I'm really ashamed at Dodge for not even sending a letter of some sort to let their customers know that they are aware of this existing problem with the dashboards. It's a terrible thing to hear that the problem really hasn't been fixed because the NHTSA hasn't determined this a "SAFETY HAZZARD"! I read some of these complaints and learned of people cutting themselves just trying to fix the problem.

One would think that Dodge would have someone looking into this to correct the problem. I have a young son who was getting out of my Dodge one summer and when he put his hand on the dash, it went right into it! Luckily he wasn't cut. My air conditioner vents are broken and the dash is covered with a towel. Although the truck itself is fine. Maybe if we the cusumer stop purshasing their trucks,something will become of this. The Ford plant here in norforlk, Va. closed it's doors to alot of families here in the area, maybe if this happend with Dodge it would open some eyes.

- , Portsmouth, VA, USA

Aug 012004

Ram 1500

During the first years of ownership, we mistakenly blamed our kids for hitting the dashboard, etc to cause the cracks!! Now the kids are all grown, and the cracks have steadily continued - don't really know what's actually holding the remaining pieces in place!!! Checked a few websites, TOO COSTLY to repair - Dodge - stand behind your product!!!!!!

- , Riverview, FL, USA

Jun 222004

Ram 1500 5.9L

Think of a jig saw puzzle, well thats what my dash looked like before it fell in, thats right "NO MORE DASH" from the windshield to the trim. Looks like $#@%!!!!!. The case manager told me to take it to the dealership so they can take a look at it. I want to know, how are they going to look at my dash when it's GONE, FELL APART, CRUMBLED. The case manager told me that maybe, "just maybe" that they may pay a percentage of the cost to replace it. A percentage is like a slap in the face. They knew they had a problem, but just like everything else, they sweep it under the rug, all they are worried about is where the next BUCK is coming from.

- , Inverness, FL, USA

Oct 012006

Ram 1500 4WD V8

Fixing the problem of a cracked dashboard is not affordable. What caused it to crack in the first place? Must be a design flaw that should be addressed by Dodge - and replace at no cost to owner.

- , Charlotte, NC, USA

Jan 142009

Ram 1500 ST 5.2L

I see alot of my fellow Ram owning Americans are having the same problem as I am having with my 01 quad cab and no one knows or has a civil suit attorney in their little black book or family that would be willing to sue the dog5h1t out of chrysler corp. I am an auto tech by trade so I see some big pieces of it on a daily basis but I can tell you that the dashboards are still in tact and serving their purpose. I am ready for my court appearance so I can Ram some chrysler corp officials in the courtroom. Backing the cause but I don't know of any lawyers myself that would touch it cause chrysler seems to have made to much money off these pieces of 5h1t dashboards so they can afford a high dollar suit defense team. Looked it up and my fine dash was made in Mexico, nice non-American American craftsmanship.

- , Mesquite, TX, USA

May 042007

Ram 1500 1500 3.2L

The dash has cracked front to back, starting at mounting holes. Large pieces of the dash have broken away. I feel that the dash may be a significant safety problem in the event of a significant collision to the front or sides of vehicle.

- , San Antonio, TX, US

Jun 162010

Ram 1500 5.9L

Bought my truck with a broken dash but didn't think much of it considering the truck had been in a minor accident damaging the front and rear bumpers as well as the a/c condenser. I had planned on pulling one from a salvaged vehicle but now after reading all the complaints, I'm not sure it won't just crack again. If there is a defect in the dash material, Dodge dealers should admit it and at least sell the replacements at discount!

- , Denver, CO, USA