1. Dodge should issue a recall (372 reports)
  2. replace dash (112 reports)
  4. bought a dash cover (7 reports)
  5. glue it back together (5 reports)
  6. dodge needs to pay for 1/2 or all the cost of parts/repair (2 reports)
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Dodge Ram 1500:

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 13 of 30)

Jul 142009

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

Dash board cracked even though I used a dash protector every time I parked the truck outside. The truck is normally stored in a garage. I do not know why they say American made when they contain so many import parts.

- , Arlington, TN, USA

Sep 022010

Ram 1500 Laramie SLT 5.2L

The cracks in the dash were first noticed back in summer of 2007 when they made a noticeable vibration noise,,,,,I had hoped that they would not get worse but today as I was driving to work a large piece of the dash top just caved in on an angle right infront of the steering wheel. I reached up and pulled out the large totally fractured piece and when i took it out, another piece caved in and then another and then yet another.....In total, 5 pieces just snapped off ....I couldnt believe it...I thought my truck was desintegrating right before my eyes and as I was driving it. I had never seen or even heard of dashboards breaking up with this kind of severity......When I got to work and showed some co-workers what had happened, They too could not beleive it until they looked at it themselves. One co-worker suggested I google "Dodge Ram recalls" with the reasoning that if it happened to me then it must have happened to other Dodge Ram owners as well.....Obviously he was right....On this site alone the cracked dashboards of Dodge Ram complaints numbred over 300...Exactly how many Complaints must be noted for the exact same problem before Dodge decides to treat there customers with some amount of Respect and appreciation

- , Mechanicsburg, PA, USA

Aug 012008

Ram 1500 4.6L V8

Well my dash has almost fallen thru...this is ridiculous!! I thought it was just me, but come to find out all these models do it. This is a MAJOR SAFETY issue. I went to trade my truck in and come to find out the salesman told me that all the Dodge's he has seen have the same problem with cracking dashes. So, of course they didnt want to give me what my truck was worth due to my dash. DODGE NEEDS TO RECALL THIS PROBLEM!! I am really concerned especially if I had a wreck there is nothing there to protect me. My dash is at the point where its getting ready to fall completely thru..I mean its in pieces. I shouldn't have to pay to fix it, when all these models are having the same problem. Its dropping the value on the truck. DODGE YOU NEED TO HAVE A RECALL!!

- , Nicholasville, KY, USA

Mar 012009

Ram 1500 SLT 5.2L V8

A piece of the broken dash top fell through the dash and lodged behind the gas pedal. I was able to coast to a parking lot where I was able to remove it. I can only imagine how much worse this would have been had it fallen behind the break pedal.

- , Columbus, GA, USA

Sep 132005

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

- , Georgetown, TN, USA

Feb 102005

Ram 1500 5.9L

2001 Dodge Ram dash is falling apart , theres nothing left just a big hole, can't believe dodge hasn't done anything about it !

Can't even trade this crap in for a new truck dealers say its worthless.

- , Tampa, FL, USA

Aug 102010

Ram 1500 5.2L V8

I'm really ashamed at Dodge for not even sending a letter of some sort to let their customers know that they are aware of this existing problem with the dashboards. It's a terrible thing to hear that the problem really hasn't been fixed because the NHTSA hasn't determined this a "SAFETY HAZZARD"! I read some of these complaints and learned of people cutting themselves just trying to fix the problem.

One would think that Dodge would have someone looking into this to correct the problem. I have a young son who was getting out of my Dodge one summer and when he put his hand on the dash, it went right into it! Luckily he wasn't cut. My air conditioner vents are broken and the dash is covered with a towel. Although the truck itself is fine. Maybe if we the cusumer stop purshasing their trucks,something will become of this. The Ford plant here in norforlk, Va. closed it's doors to alot of families here in the area, maybe if this happend with Dodge it would open some eyes.

- , Portsmouth, VA, USA

Aug 012004

Ram 1500

During the first years of ownership, we mistakenly blamed our kids for hitting the dashboard, etc to cause the cracks!! Now the kids are all grown, and the cracks have steadily continued - don't really know what's actually holding the remaining pieces in place!!! Checked a few websites, TOO COSTLY to repair - Dodge - stand behind your product!!!!!!

- , Riverview, FL, USA

Jun 222004

Ram 1500 5.9L

Think of a jig saw puzzle, well thats what my dash looked like before it fell in, thats right "NO MORE DASH" from the windshield to the trim. Looks like $#@%!!!!!. The case manager told me to take it to the dealership so they can take a look at it. I want to know, how are they going to look at my dash when it's GONE, FELL APART, CRUMBLED. The case manager told me that maybe, "just maybe" that they may pay a percentage of the cost to replace it. A percentage is like a slap in the face. They knew they had a problem, but just like everything else, they sweep it under the rug, all they are worried about is where the next BUCK is coming from.

- , Inverness, FL, USA

Oct 012006

Ram 1500 4WD V8

Fixing the problem of a cracked dashboard is not affordable. What caused it to crack in the first place? Must be a design flaw that should be addressed by Dodge - and replace at no cost to owner.

- , Charlotte, NC, USA

Jan 142009

Ram 1500 ST 5.2L

I see alot of my fellow Ram owning Americans are having the same problem as I am having with my 01 quad cab and no one knows or has a civil suit attorney in their little black book or family that would be willing to sue the dog5h1t out of chrysler corp. I am an auto tech by trade so I see some big pieces of it on a daily basis but I can tell you that the dashboards are still in tact and serving their purpose. I am ready for my court appearance so I can Ram some chrysler corp officials in the courtroom. Backing the cause but I don't know of any lawyers myself that would touch it cause chrysler seems to have made to much money off these pieces of 5h1t dashboards so they can afford a high dollar suit defense team. Looked it up and my fine dash was made in Mexico, nice non-American American craftsmanship.

- , Mesquite, TX, USA

May 042007

Ram 1500 1500 3.2L

The dash has cracked front to back, starting at mounting holes. Large pieces of the dash have broken away. I feel that the dash may be a significant safety problem in the event of a significant collision to the front or sides of vehicle.

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

Jun 162010

Ram 1500 5.9L

Bought my truck with a broken dash but didn't think much of it considering the truck had been in a minor accident damaging the front and rear bumpers as well as the a/c condenser. I had planned on pulling one from a salvaged vehicle but now after reading all the complaints, I'm not sure it won't just crack again. If there is a defect in the dash material, Dodge dealers should admit it and at least sell the replacements at discount!

- , Denver, CO, USA

Oct 312003

Ram 1500 1500 5.02

every truck and van that I have seen from friends, work, visitors, (whom ever has a dodge van, or truck,) the dash board is either cracked, broken, pieces missing, and it is a poor excuse when it comes to quality. I should have bought a Toyota just like i was advised to do so by an ex-dodge owner. Please, i have owned lots of cars in the years and this is the first one that i dislike due to it's poor quality plastic products used to make doges. Believe me, word of mouth is like wild fire, if dodge does not do anything about this issue, their next project will be who will be laid off first while they watch their profits plummet down the toilets like the plastic on every dodge van and truck. Even Toyota admitted that their vehicles were suspect of being defective and recalled lots of cars.

Just wait till some one gets a piece of that brittle plastic plunged in their eye due to a minor accident, then see how quickly they fix these dashboards. someone is bound to sue. I guess, now that i think of this , I'll fix it myself cause i have the means, but it aint right.

- , Santa Rosa, TX, USA

Aug 252009

Ram 1500 XLT 5.7L

I am very unsatisfied with this Dodge product. I have taken great care of the vehicle since I bought it new in 2001. I never expected to see the dash come apart like it has. It is not only embarassing to me, but also to Dodge, since it shows the lack of quality in the type of materials that the company uses in their products. My faith in Dodge has been shaken and I do not believe that I will ever buy a Dodge product again.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Feb 082008

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

You cant sell a dodge with problems especially the dash board i drove it to work while my husband is gone for military and the crack grew another 2 foot in different directions and it has HOLES yes HOLES in it!

- , Norton, KS, USA

Jun 062010

Ram 1500 5.2L

I think Dodge should have had a recall. Now the dash has cracked bad and when the windows are open it lifts up when driving and rattles. This is dangerous. I just ordered a replacement from a company on the internet.

- , Greensburg, PA, USA

May 052009

Ram 1500 Laramie SLT 318 V8

Dodge, now a part of Fiat, I know you are not listening (because I called you and you blew me off), and it is obvious you don't care about your customers.

Like so many people here on this board and all over the USA, my Dodge truck dash is a mess. I make a point of talking to Dodge truck owners whenever I see them and ask about their dash. Every time, same answer, LOOK AT THIS!!! LOOK AT MY DASH!

Almost everyone then goes on to say – I will NEVER buy another DODGE.

Goodbye DODGE – Your existence is coming to a close. You just don't get it.

Trucker in the great state of South Carolina

- , Fort Mill, SC, USA

Jan 012007

Ram 1500 XL 5.9L V8

I called Dodge, which yeilded no results. They gave me a price of $1200 to have them to replace it ,or $600 for them to sell me one to install myself. I feel that they should stand behind their product. I loved my Dodge, but after this, I don't think I'll buying a Dodge again. Chevy here I come !!!

- , Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jun 262006

Ram 1500 5.2L

My husband has this 2001 dodge 1500 2x4 5.2lL and the dash is completly caved in now!!!! If Dodge paid off there bank rupse so fast with the goverment then WHY can't they fix these problems with the dash boards caving in? WHY should we pay to fix there problem!!! I think if everyone write or goes to oour goverment or the main plant for Dodge something would get done about this problem!!!!!!!!! or even hire a Attoney's to make dodge pay there problem!!!!

- , Wimauma, FL, USA