1. Dodge should issue a recall (372 reports)
  2. replace dash (112 reports)
  4. bought a dash cover (7 reports)
  5. glue it back together (5 reports)
  6. dodge needs to pay for 1/2 or all the cost of parts/repair (2 reports)
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Dodge Ram 1500:

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 16 of 30)

Oct 102009

Ram 1500 SLT Magma V8

dash crack just as it about to turn cold. not one crack but three. try to clean it the other day and damn near cut my rest open. to me this is bad no point in fixing it if dodge has not made a better one. dash looks like sh*t what can one do?

- , Wichitha, KS, USA

Apr 032002

Ram 1500 LX V8

We have always bought Dodge vehicles but maybe never again , I kept this dash covered in Armor All and Vaseline and it cracked like a son of a gun . Defective material for sure . Dodge should pay to have it fixed . I am going to complain to them next .

- , Augusta, GA, USA

Apr 222009

Ram 1500 5.2L V8

dashboard is in bad shape i have a football sized hole in the dashboard and is cracked all the way around went to dodge because i called an 800 number to tell me to have it inspected by a mechanic their and boy, i will never buy a dodge again the people there were nasty and got jerked around for a couple days on the phone call so and so and call someone else then finally i get in touch to have them tell me it is $750 for installation and no way will i pay that. from there they would not even sell me the piece, no longer will i mention a dodge to someone else.

- , Ringwood, NJ, USA

Aug 262009

Ram 1500 1500 5.9L

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard

Best truck in the world but its going to piss me off to replace the dash, I keep pretty good care of my truck just spent over 3k for new rubber and wheels that ride like a Cadillac compared to the others i had just to see the the dash and bezel cracked all the way to the windshield at the same time in 2 places. Honestly never thought the dash would be the first piece of interior to go... also the sunglasses holder is a piece of sh*t tab breaks off to easy.

- , Battleground, WA, USA

Feb 282009

Ram 1500 Sport V8

Love my truck, BUT - my dash looks horrible. I was told, by my mechanic, that all of this model is coming in with cracked dashes. Has anyone started a petition yet? Please let me know, I'll sign it. Someone is going to get hurt. Also my cup holder is broke and glass holder. What's up..??? I bought it new, I have used the 4X4 one time. It is in emaculate condition. They joke I cleaned it to much HA HA. Please help

- , Washington, MO, USA

Dec 082009

Ram 1500

my dash is cracked all to hell. it has holes all over the place dodge should issue a recall this is bullsh!t i like dodge but if they dont do something about this i won't get another

- , Westplains, MO, USA

Nov 182009

Ram 1500 Sport 5.2L

very cheap needs to recall the cheap dash!!!!

- , Des Moines, IA, USA

Apr 162008

Ram 1500 5.9L V8

I agree with everyone else, Chrysler should fix the problem. I had contact with someone through Chrysler through a friend of a friend and they said that they do not know who made this product for the 2001 ram and ram quad cab (which I own). I say that is a bunch of horse s#%t they know who made the product but they do not want to handle it until someone gets badly hurt. I have owned my Ram 1500 quad cab since Jan 2001 ( I bought it new).

I don't do any heavy 4-wheeling with it nor have I. my dash looks horrible I am almost embarrassed to drive it down the road in the daytime. I can hear and watch it crack whenever I drive it down a rough road. THIS SHOULD BE TAKEN CARE OF BY CHRYSLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Clio, MI, USA

Oct 012006

Ram 1500 Sport 5.2L V8 Magnum

I bought this Truck used in 2006. I loved the way it looked on the outside! Always loved The way Dodge Rams looked! Truck had low miles when I bought it, looked amazing, but had 2 cracks on the dash. One coming from passenger airbag, and one right above steering wheel, which was shorter than pass. airbag. I thought, sh-t! Two cracks? I can deal with that! Well after only a year, I was wrong! The damn dashboard started spider webbing everywhere! Now after 3 years, I have gaping holes, and chunks laying everywhere! There's absolutely NO REASON for this! I'm sooooo friggin annoyed! And all my friends bash my truck, because its a Dodge! I always fought for it, but I think I'm agreeing now, after the dash AND not to mention my paint peeling/rusting,and interior lights ceasing to work! I love how Dodges look too...aaaaww o well, HELLO CHEVY.

- , Hobart, IN, USA

May 102007

Ram 1500 5.2L V8

This truck was bought new in 2001,have owned another Dodge product in the past but mostly GM products.The truck has been a great truck but last year started expierencing cracks in my dash,started small and just out of no where they were everywhere.First crack started on drivers side and advanced to the middle,now I am watching my dash break off and fall in piece by piece,actually I don't have a dash anymore I have a bunch of holes and it looks like CRAP.I hope to get it fixed but when I went searching I found all these complaints.I thought I just the only one,but guess I am not alone.I think they need to live up to their slogan Ram Tough because I think they should be saying Crappy Stuff cause that's what they have and I want be driving another one if I ever get rid of this one!Who don't stand behind their product knowing it is a piece of S_ _ _!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.Need to recall all of them!I think it is a bad hazard waiting to happen!

- , Crowley, TX, USA

Jan 072003

Ram 1500 318

why would the company not won't to stand behind there auto's this is a recall for sure.

I am so disappointed i have 2 of these trucks now an there dashes are no longer there at all.

I paid a lot of money for these trucks , BUT I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER ONE INTILL THERE IS A RECALL. also the heater core's are a big problem to.

- , Maxville, FL, USA

Nov 192008

Ram 1500 5.9L

My Dash started cracking now I have a huge hole on the drivers side just as all the other pictures I have seen.This is a problem that can lead to other things. We don't want to wait till someone gets hurt.

Dodge need to get up off their A@$ and own up to the problem. They will get their money back from the company that did the injection molding and or the plastic manufacture. Come on Dodge fess up before this gets messy

- , Augusta, GA, USA

Nov 142009

Ram 1500 4x4 5.9L 360

The dam bleeep bleeep heater core is a bi to get out still trying to get it out and it does not help when you look at all the books and they do not tell you about the eight screws that hold that Dam cracking falling apart dash in. You have to take the windshield out to take the dash off or it breaks all up in your hands. I thought it was the sun that caused it till I have been reading all the complaints. I smacked a fly on my dash a year ago and put my hand through the dash and cut myself. I thought it was just the sun. So when I tried to take the dash apart to get to the heater core and now I have pieces for a dash. Not to mention cuts all over my hands. I'm so mad.. You would think they would make the truck to be worked on

- , Georgetown, CA, USA

Aug 012001

Ram 1500 Laramie SLT 5.9L

I cannot believe Dodge has not issued a recall. This is clearly a manufacturing defect that can seriously hurt someone!!! While I was trying to glue my million pieces back together, I was cut! What's it gonna take for Dodge to fix this? Maybe a person injured or maybe even worse, dying, after getting into a car accident and the airbags throwing pieces of dashboard around the vehicle, maybe in someones eye, etc.? I hope that a lawyer sees this and has enough heart to do something about this to prevent any further problems!!! We are already in a recession and car companies got such a huge stimulus package, why havn't "the people" seen this to fix our problems? I'm very disappointed with Dodge! I'll never buy a dodge again if this issue continues!

Update from Nov 11, 2009: I cannot believe Dodge has not issued a recall. This is clearly a manufacturing defect that can seriously hurt someone!!! While I was trying to glue my million pieces back together, I was cut! What's it gonna take for Dodge to fix this? Maybe a person injured worse after getting into a car accident and the airbags throwing pieces of dashboard around the vehicle, maybe in someones eye, etc.? I hope that a lawyer sees this and has enough heart to do something about this to prevent any further problems!!! We are already in a recession and car companies got such a huge stimulus package, why havn't "the people" seen this to fix our problems? I'm very disappointed with Dodge! I'll never buy a Dodge again due to their lack of customer service!

Update from Nov 11, 2009: My issue actually started at 55000 miles. There was a small crack in the corner and I didnt pay much attention to it then but as time went on the cracks became significantly noticable. Now I just have a bunch of pieces that I've super glued and I'm waiting on a dash cover that I ordered from ebay.

- , Franklin, NC, USA

Oct 302009

Ram 1500 SLT 5.2L V8

I purchased my Ram 1500 in 2002 with a nearly perfect interior. I purchased a dash cover at that time to protect the dash when it spent what little time it did in the sun. The truck is garaged or shaded at all times- unless of course, I am driving. The dash was perfectly fine until a few days ago, and then all of the sudden it started to disintegrate. I am now having trouble with my headlights, etc. I have filed a complaint with the NHTSA and contacted Dodge, but based on my research, it seems as though neither the Government nor Dodge is paying any attention to this widespread problem. This is no little problem- it could well be VERY dangerous and a definite safety hazard. Dodge and its owners the US Government NEED to recall and repair these problems before someone is seriously injured or there is a death caused by an airbag or other electrical equipment failure.

- , Snellville, GA, USA

Oct 162008

Ram 1500 360

I can't believe Dodge would stand behind a product that would fail and not replace or fix it. At this point I have two huge HOLES in my dash and I'm almost embarrassed to drive it out of the garage. I'm not sure I would buy another Dodge at this point.

- , Oskaloosa, IA, USA

Oct 312009

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L 360

I am mad I just bought this truck from a friend and it is great shape yes it has a few miles on it but runs like it has half that. I am very happy with the way my 2 wd ram 1500 runs the body dose have some dings and dents but it was used for work all of it's life but it was very very well taken care of yesterday it was warm in Ohio about 75 for this time of year that is warm then today it was cold and damp and raining turned on the heat then the dash made a small 3 inch crack now I know it is not going to stop I have had many cars older then this that have not done this the dash fill cheap very cheap my step father owns a 2002 KIA Rio and guess what no cracks in his dash that is a dam KIA why is dodge doing this to us my truck says it was built in the USA right parts from god knows where my grandfather has a 1988 Chevy no cracks in it and he don't take care of it at all wants up Dodge fix this our I will never buy an other truck from dodge I hope someday I can make them pay for it but I know my truck is to old and they don't care about me I hope if you buy an 09 our 2010 it is better then this we got a cheap peace of crap dash

- , The Plains, OH, USA

Oct 062009

Ram 1500 4X4 Off Road 318

Just recently I noticed a crack in the dash on the passenger side. It starts at the indentation above the glove box and is about 6 inches long. Today I was cleaning my truck and I see a new crack on the extreme left near the window pillar on the drivers side. This crack is about 3 inches long. When I googled for a possible fix I was shocked to find hundreds of other owners with the same problem. This really blows! Other problems..... The A/C quit working, but the most expensive was the trans torque converter replacement. The transmission just quit without warning. I parked at a grocery store and when I came out the truck wouldn't move in any gear. But this BS with the dash is crazy. From what I understand there is no way to stop it and the only fix is a new dash. I should have kept my Ford.

- , Saint Robert, MO, USA

Oct 012008

Ram 1500 1500

I just want Dodge to step up and act right. I support American autos- have all my life. Will never own foreign. BUT, such support needs to be acknowledged by Dodge and fixed!

Update from Apr 23, 2010: I called Chrysler customer support at 1-800-992-1997. My neighbor got his fixed after making a little noise. They opened a case and I will hear back from them by Monday, 4/26/10. I better anyway cause I ain't goin' away!

- , Ocala, FL, USA

Sep 012006

Ram 1500 SL 3.2L V6

I purchased this truck new in 2001. I work nights, so it is garaged during the day on all of my work days. On the little time it was in the sun, there is no way Dodge can implicate sunlight as the cause. The dash is still not faded in 2009, but the Dealerships continually tell me it is not covered under a recall. This truck was never wrecked, never used off road, and never driven hard ( it couldn't be, it's a 6 cylinder !!! ). If Dodge doesn't acknowledge defects in their products when they exist, maybe a class action law suit will wake them up. If anyone out there knows of one, please let me know so I can add my name.

- , Alexandria, LA, USA