8.5

1. Dodge should issue a recall (373 reports)
  2. replace dash (114 reports)
  4. bought a dash cover (7 reports)
  5. glue it back together (5 reports)
  6. dodge needs to pay for 1/2 or all the cost of parts/repair (2 reports)
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Dodge Ram 1500:

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 29 of 30)

Sep 062007

Ram 1500 3.5L

I bought the truck about one year ago. It was all very well kept the dashboard was all shiny and new looking then I started to see a small crack near the passenger side now it has extended all over the top area. It has a deep deep hole all the way from top of the heater area to the bottom of the floor board. I thought it was due to the sun damage then I noticed that other Dodge Rams had similar problems. I looked up on the internet how to get a dashboard and I noticed all the complaints about it.

- , Uvalde, TX, USA

Sep 012007

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

It first started as a crack, but now I have a huge hole in my dashboard. I've sent an e-mail to Dodge, but have not received a response yet. Seems to me this is a known problem with this year, make and model-they need to do something about it. I've seen cars 20 years old and they didn't have this problem.

- , Ventura, CA, USA

Aug 202007

Ram 1500 5.9L V8

My dash started out with a small crash. Although, I have a sunshade, matters have worsen. I am missing a chunk of the dash, an approximately 4" square piece.

Get this fixed Dodge. I don't understand why my 1997 Caravan has a flawless dash. Did Dodge take a step back from 2001. Did they actually produce a better product in 97. I don't understand this. Know when I drive the dash makes an annoying noise.

Fix it!

- , Whitehouse, TX, USA

Aug 182007

Ram 1500 V8

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500. I noticed the problem about a year ago when i found a crack in the center of the dashboard but didn't think anything of it. But over time it got worse and now the whole driver side portion has broken into pieces. I got an estimate to fix it and the dashboard cost around $250 plus close to $500 for labor so screw that. Haven't gotten it fixed yet and it is only getting worse. Right now I'm searching for a replacement online for a lil cheaper and I'll just install myself.

- , Keller, TX, USA

Aug 182007

Ram 1500 SLT 318 V8

My vehicle was only 3 years old when the dash started cracking and I always used window shades when it was parked outside. This truck spent a lot of time in the garage in those three years but the dash still cracked. I called Dodge and even talked to a factory rep and was told they would replace it if I paid half the cost ($700), I believe I was getting ripped off. I chose not to fix it. I KNOW THAT I WILL NEVER EVER OWN ANOTHER CHRYSLER OR DODGE PRODUCT.

- , Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jul 042007

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L

Had the dash crack twice. Once at approx. 20 to 30k. The second at approx 70k. The dealership in Gainesville, Fl replaced it (no charge). However, Tallahassee Dodge would not replace it. They were aware the dash was only 3 years old. Chrysler says because I live in Fl and I kept my truck in the garage that they would not replace the dash due to negligence on my part. I guess if I lived up north they would have said it was due to snow.

- , Tallahassee, FL, USA

Aug 072007

Ram 1500 SLT 318 V8

I own not 1 but 2 dodge ram 1500 pickup trucks and I have the same problem with both trucks. My brother and dad both own 1999 and 1998 3500 1 TONS and both of them have the same problem, so it is not just a 2001 problem. Why don't DODGE DO A RECALL AND MAKE THE PROBLEM RIGHT!!!!!! MY wife says NO MORE DODGES AND I TEND TO AGREE IF I DON'T GET SOMETHING DONE!!!!!!!!!!

- , Kingston, OK, USA

Jul 092007

Ram 1500 Larame

So my dash starts to crack near the defrost vent. Then the crack suddenly spread all across the dash. I can now see all of the wiring. I called Daimler Chrysler and they told me that there wasn't anything that they could do since my truck's warranty expired years ago. I didn't want to start having all the trouble that the people in Florida were having so I decided to go ahead and pay for a new dash. The stupid dealership went ahead and ordered it since they don't keep those kinds of parts in stock. I have to wait for a whole week to get my truck back. They estimated that it would be about $850.00 to get it replaced. I'll never buy a Dodge again! I have a 1985 GMC Suburban; its dash it still intact!

- , Cotulla, TX, USA

Jul 212007

Ram 1500 5.9L

I'm Raleigh, and have a beautiful 2001 1500 ram 4X4. The dash has cracked all to pieces. It started in the middle and spread outward. I went to the dealership about four years ago and they said it was not a recall item. I have at least three buddies with the same problem. We need help getting this problem resolved. I have owned a 69 dodge superbee, 88 dodge custom van, a chysler, 87 daytona charger shelby and now have the truck an 69 roadrunner. We need help!!! This should be a recall

- , la Grange, NC, USA

Jul 182007

Ram 1500 Bronze 5.2LV8

Dash Cracked in multiple areas 80,000 miles

Called Dodge dealer got run around and screwed

- , Ringgold, GA, USA

Jul 152007

Ram 1500 SLT V6

Hey why make a kick ass truck and put a piece of crap for a dash board. Hey I go on a 4month deployment and then when I get back the whole inside looks like sh*t. Come on guys what is going to be done about this. I am not the only one with this same issue.

- , Dyess AFB, TX, USA

Jul 032007

Ram 1500 ST 5.2L

I have owned my dodge for about 3 years now. It was purchased used and appeared to be taken care of. When i took it up to Oklahoma for college the weather changed from hot to cold quite a bit, worse than north texas. It was left outside in the elements and took some abuse. As a result the dash cracked in 4 places. It was a pretty easy fix. I decided to stay away from the plastic dash covers because they look cheasy. I used the website, newmoparparts.com they have the cheapest prices for authentic mopar replacement parts. I have used them many other times before and had good experiences (turned ram into sport model). There price was $364 for the dash plus tax and shipping. So the grand total was $430. Install was not difficult just 4 screws located near the windshield and 2 on the side. Turned out great. Avoid the dealership if possible. They will overcharge like no other. There is nothin else to do because these dashes are a piece of junk.

- , Plano, TX, USA

May 262007

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

My problem began with a small crack on the right side of the dash, and escalated to 5 or 6 large gashes over time. The truck is otherwise in perfect condition, and has always been waxed and washed and I maintain a coat of Armor All on the interior plastics including the dash. Looking on the web, I have found that the sun is NOT the cause of this problem, as one man in Maine had the same issue. My truck was also garaged/shaded most of its life so that should not be a problem. The dealership wanted to charge $700 to repair it, and they quoted my friend $1200 to fix the dash in his 2002 Ram and that and gas prices caused him to sell the truck.

- , Vero Beach, FL, USA

May 012007

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

The problem started within two years of owning the car. It started with a hairline crack down the middle and progressed to several chunks missing (dropped through) and cracks from driver to passenger side. I've only got around 40,000 miles on the car at the moment, and I've babied it. It's moved downwards into the black plastic of the console around the radio and towards the spedometer. It looks awful and is extremely embarrassing.

- , Casselberry, FL, USA

Mar 172007

Ram 1500 3.9 V6

Dodge better get their heads out of their ass. We Dodge truck owners deserve better than this. I wonder if they care about Quality or Quantity? I'm considering going back to a Japanese truck.

- , Jacksonville, FL, USA

Mar 142007

Ram 1500 SLT Laramie 5.9L V8

Dashboard is cracking in three different places, not horribly noticable, but I do feel that Dodge might want to consider recalling the dashboards because they are made with inferior quality plastic. It really makes me laugh when people freak out about the dashboard cracking even though it is not a big problem, if they would take their own time to fix it, they could do it for less than $150.00, which is not a problem. I honestly think that you should stay away from this truck because it has been a great truck other than that. I will still buy Dodge products in the future. People also need to remember that each vehicle brand has its issues and this is the big issue that Dodge has.

- , Zeeland, MI, USA

Mar 062007

Ram 1500 5.9

Another who will NEVER buy Dodge again.

My dashboard was cracked all over in less than two years of buying it new. It is now missing huge pieces that have fallen into the firewall area. Dodge Dealership wants over $400 in just labor. They know they had a defective product, but do not care. Take a look at their own forum! http://www.dodgeforum.com/m_196287/mpage_1/key_/tm. htm

SPREAD THE WORD!!

- , Buckeye, AZ, USA

Feb 092007

Ram 1500 Quad Cab V8

In 2004 it started with a small crack on the right side. Now it is cracked all over with huge cracks. The truck looks like new except for the cracked dash. I think the dodge people should. replace it. If they don't I will never buy another Chrysler product.

- , Keller, TX, USA

Feb 082007

Ram 1500 360

Dashboard literally exploded for no apparent reason into about 20 different pieces. I think Dodge should replace this dashboard as I only have 22000 miles on this Pickup, and the shattered dash makes it look like a piece of junk.

- , Port Charlotte, FL, USA

Jan 032007

Ram 1500 SLT V8

My Ram 1500, which has less than 20,000 miles has a dashboard that looks like a broken mirror. After reading other complaints about this problem I thing it only fair that all the model years involved be recalled and the dashes replaced with one that will not crack. That is whenever they start making it. It appears this trouble is still happening.

- , Shelton, CT, USA