Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2002 has the well-known and documented problem with their dashboards falling to pieces, but it also has engine failure from oil sludge. That's a doube shot of awful in your morning coffee.

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 engine problems

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments

Sep 112008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

Truck started rapping, had tappets and rocker arms replaced in 2nd and 4th cylinders, cost 369.00 at my mechanics shop. Blew again , I found out truck still had drivetrain warranty, had it towed to dealership, paid 100.00 for "deductible". The replaced same parts, drove it for 28 days noise started again and finally really blew off parts, returned it to dealership. They were going to replace parts again all 16 tappets/rocker arms but decided to take top end off to find out why it kept happening. Motor pieces are all over floor and they said there was sludge in the oil and now I'm at fault. I have oil change receipts (every 3000 miles) for the last 2 years. My mechanic did the last oil change 7/26/08 and THERE WAS NO SLUDGE OR CRAP in the oil.I called Chrysler direct the woman was RUDE and would not send me a copy of the "inspection" report by an "outside inspection co.(?) She told me I couldn't fax my oil changes receipts so I had to go back to dealership and have them do it. I took pics of all the parts out of the vehicle and all over the floor. I don't know what to do next. I will also call Tampa's Cannel 8 on your side , contact an attorney or whatever it takes. I live alone and it's difficult to get things done without my truck. From all the internet info, Chrysler knows this problem exists and is common but skates out of it by blaming the owner for not maintaining the vehicle. Pure bull!

- , Lecanto, FL, USA