7.9

1. enough complaints to dodge will get a recall-1-800-992-1997 (224 reports)
  2. replace dashboard (121 reports)
  4. replace dash (15 reports)
  5. band together class action suit- imply fit/merchantability (13 reports)
  6. call 1-866-726-4636 (Dodge) & 1-888-327-4236 (NHTSA) (13 reports)
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Dodge Ram 1500:

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 17 of 26)

Sep 012010

Ram 1500 3.6L

When I bought my truck it had a small crack in the dashboard but over the past 5-6 months it has been cracking like crazy!! I have 5 cracks that extend all the way over pretty much making columns and then more cracks in between those!! I have a piece that completely fell out because it cracked so many different ways. My entire dashboard has cracks all over it now and I've only had it for 9 months....

- , Joshua, TX, USA

Jan 082010

Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi

First of all I love my truck. The only issue I have is the dashboard. It started as a small crack on the passenger side of the dash. It almost seemed like over night it turned into several cracks to the point where large pieces can be removed. The small slats over the vents are broken and have fallen into the defrost vents. Now when I turn on the defroster it sounds like I have pebbles in the vents. I was planning on buying another Dodge next year, but now I may have to look at other makes, unless Dodge steps up and makes things right.

- , Ocala, FL, USA

Oct 042010

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

2003 RAM 1500 QUAD CAB Truck has 27500 miles well taken care of, has cracks in dash. contacted chrysler they told me to bring in to take pictures, mileage, an such. well after all that service manager said I'm sorry we can't help you. earlier the chrysler guy told me " being out of warranty doesn't matter we still honor our product" yea right. you don't see other trucks dash cracking. what if i or my wife get in a front end wreck will pieces of the dash come flying like shrapnel?????. don't what to do. thanks

- , Abbeville, LA, USA

Nov 012009

Ram 1500 V6 3.7L

I really like the truck but my friend has the same model and his dash is cracked in the same places. That would tell me they should replace the cracked dashboards or at least offer a better deal to buy them and have them replaced. I am sure they dont need anymore bad publicity.

- , Gilbert, AZ, USA

Jun 042008

Ram 1500

For the price that we payed for this Dodge Ram 1500, I can't believe how bad my dashboard looks and it happened so fast and looks awful. I always take care of the interior and exterior really good, but it does not matter how clean I've got it, it just looks awful with all the cracks on the dashboard.

- , Lucedale, MS, USA

Aug 182010

Ram 1500 LX V6

I love my truck, my daughter who is 4 named her. She is a 2003 White Dodge Ram she calls snowtrain. A few month ago the dash just cracked in multiple places. It really got to me and I am not sure how to fix it. My daughter now says whenever she get in the truck that "?Snowtrain needs a bandaid." I would like my truck fixed, I am extremely disappointed that I come to the internet and find out this is a known issue. Recall the dash! I pray a piece of the dash doesn't come off and hit me or my daughter.

- , Marble Falls, TX, USA

Apr 222009

Ram 1500 4.6L V8

I thought this was a problem with just my truck, but was I surprised! I've taled to at least ten people in my area with the same problem. My dash is splitting, cracking, and falling down into the dash. There are numerous sharp edges, and in the case of a wreck, will be many flying pieces. Now that I know this is a rampant problem, if I get in a wreck, and my children are injured because of the dash, I will sue the hell out of Dodge. They will need Obama on speed dial for another bailout to pay off all the lawsuits. Do not be quiet about this people!!!!!

- , Perry, GA, USA

Oct 232010

Ram 1500

Love my Dodge, but seriously annoyed by the cracked dash. I feel the cracked dash is unsafe and dangerous. Should be recalled!

- , Clinton, MS, USA

Mar 012010

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

I have had this truck since Nov of 2003, and I love it. This just showed up in the spring time (2010) and I have not found a good option for replacing the damaged panel. OEM dealer pieces cost $500+ and that is ridiculous. I don't have time to go all over exploring junk yards either. Other options like a cap or pad just cover up the problem. There is an insufficient amount of aftermarket support for a real fix. I don't want this covered up, I want it repaired with OEM or similar quality for a reasonable price.

- , Katy, TX, USA

Jan 012008

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L

My dashboard is cracked all over, and one piece has even fallen out leaving a big hole with sharp plastic exposed. This is a serious problem as I see from the internet. DODGE NEED TO 'MAN - UP' and come up with a fix (recall) for this issue. I will not buy another Dodge truck again unless they fix this issue with these dashboards. The plastic used for making these dashes is obviously defective formula. No other brand of pickup has any where near as many cracked dashboards as dodge.

- , Spring, TX, USA

Nov 192010

Ram 1500 5.7

I was driving on the expressway with my windows down when a piece of dashboard flew up and struck me in the face. I will not risk getting seriously injured while driving this vehicle...Dodge needs to take care of this known problem and make their vehicle safe!

- , Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Jul 282010

Ram 1500 3.7L V6

It just cracked out of nowhere. One day I went to work in the company truck and when I got home I went to get something out of my Dodge and there was a 16 inch crack in the dash. I always lock my truck and I take good care of my things so this was no accident. I found out later on that Dodge may have used defective plastic in the fabrication of their dashboards from 1998-2006. I have worked in manufacturing before and I understand that sometimes when a problem comes up it is "too far gone" to solve on that lot number or batch, so you adjust it for the next one... but 8 years!! You've got to be kidding me! If it is true about the defective plastic then shame on Dodge for not providing their customers with the best product possible. I still love my Dodge but this was a very poor manufacturing decision to move forward for 8 years with defective plastic.

- , Canutillo, TX, USA

Nov 202010

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

bought pickup from bank. Repo. noticed last year that a crack began right over the passenger side airbag (topside). Just kept going and has covered the whole dashboard. Another started this year from the windshield and met the other. In cold weather the crack is very visible, warm weather you can hardly tell that it is there. Dodge should really do something about it.

- , Amarillo, TX, USA

Jun 202005

Ram 1500 4.7

The dash cracked several times over the years and disintegrated upon removal during heater core replacement last week. New dash vent is required and is definitely defective quality from the manufacturer.

- , Cary, NC, USA

Mar 012010

Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab 4.7L

The dashboard is cracking more and more little by little. I am afraid that the dash caves in and causes more and more problems.

- , Duson, LA, USA

May 132009

Ram 1500 Hemi

Dash Board split in 3 different spots. We have the truck parked in the shade with a sun shield. It is our secondary vehicle and not used often.

- , Peoria, AZ, USA

Oct 242010

Ram 1500 5.7 hemi

I've been taking really good care of my truck. It is a 2003 and it only has 60K miles. NOW, a huge crack appear on the dashboard (passenger side by airbag). I have other older cars that just sit in the sun all day and NO problems with those dashboards.

- , Woodland Hills, CA, USA

Sep 162009

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L VR

Just got the second crack a year after the first. Looks like it will eventually cave in.

- , Decatur, GA, US

Apr 152009

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

First crack appeared in April of 2009. Since then I've had seven more cracks appear. Not just the inner part close to the windshield but the large heavy duty plastic dash has cracked in several places. The truck has never been wrecked or abused. I will never buy a Dodge or Chrysler product again. Seems that the problem started in 1998 and lasted all the way through 2006. 8 years of them ignoring complaints from their customers. Not good.

- , New Braunfels, TX, USA

Jul 012009

Ram 1500 5.7L

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 looks great except for a few scratches (its a work truck). Used to love to drive it and laugh at all the Hemi jokes. Now it looks like a ghetto truck, dash cracked in multiple places, vents have no grids. I'm afraid its going to completely cave in. I have to pick my daughter up from school in this truck with her 3 friends. After reading all the complaints I'm afraind its become a saftey issue. Got a quote from the dealer to replace it for $1,700, no offer to pay for half. I'm really ticked now that i know about all the others.

- , Jacksonville Beach, FL, USA