7.9

1. enough complaints to dodge will get a recall-1-800-992-1997 (223 reports)
  2. replace dashboard (119 reports)
  4. replace dash (15 reports)
  5. band together class action suit- imply fit/merchantability (13 reports)
  6. call 1-866-726-4636 (Dodge) & 1-888-327-4236 (NHTSA) (13 reports)
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Dodge Ram 1500:

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 17 of 25)

Jun 042008

Ram 1500

For the price that we payed for this Dodge Ram 1500, I can't believe how bad my dashboard looks and it happened so fast and looks awful. I always take care of the interior and exterior really good, but it does not matter how clean I've got it, it just looks awful with all the cracks on the dashboard.

- , Lucedale, MS, USA

Aug 182010

Ram 1500 LX V6

I love my truck, my daughter who is 4 named her. She is a 2003 White Dodge Ram she calls snowtrain. A few month ago the dash just cracked in multiple places. It really got to me and I am not sure how to fix it. My daughter now says whenever she get in the truck that "?Snowtrain needs a bandaid." I would like my truck fixed, I am extremely disappointed that I come to the internet and find out this is a known issue. Recall the dash! I pray a piece of the dash doesn't come off and hit me or my daughter.

- , Marble Falls, TX, USA

Apr 222009

Ram 1500 4.6L V8

I thought this was a problem with just my truck, but was I surprised! I've taled to at least ten people in my area with the same problem. My dash is splitting, cracking, and falling down into the dash. There are numerous sharp edges, and in the case of a wreck, will be many flying pieces. Now that I know this is a rampant problem, if I get in a wreck, and my children are injured because of the dash, I will sue the hell out of Dodge. They will need Obama on speed dial for another bailout to pay off all the lawsuits. Do not be quiet about this people!!!!!

- , Perry, GA, USA

Oct 232010

Ram 1500

Love my Dodge, but seriously annoyed by the cracked dash. I feel the cracked dash is unsafe and dangerous. Should be recalled!

- , Clinton, MS, USA

Mar 012010

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

I have had this truck since Nov of 2003, and I love it. This just showed up in the spring time (2010) and I have not found a good option for replacing the damaged panel. OEM dealer pieces cost $500+ and that is ridiculous. I don't have time to go all over exploring junk yards either. Other options like a cap or pad just cover up the problem. There is an insufficient amount of aftermarket support for a real fix. I don't want this covered up, I want it repaired with OEM or similar quality for a reasonable price.

- , Katy, TX, USA

Jan 012008

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L

My dashboard is cracked all over, and one piece has even fallen out leaving a big hole with sharp plastic exposed. This is a serious problem as I see from the internet. DODGE NEED TO 'MAN - UP' and come up with a fix (recall) for this issue. I will not buy another Dodge truck again unless they fix this issue with these dashboards. The plastic used for making these dashes is obviously defective formula. No other brand of pickup has any where near as many cracked dashboards as dodge.

- , Spring, TX, USA

Nov 192010

Ram 1500 5.7

I was driving on the expressway with my windows down when a piece of dashboard flew up and struck me in the face. I will not risk getting seriously injured while driving this vehicle...Dodge needs to take care of this known problem and make their vehicle safe!

- , Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Jul 282010

Ram 1500 3.7L V6

It just cracked out of nowhere. One day I went to work in the company truck and when I got home I went to get something out of my Dodge and there was a 16 inch crack in the dash. I always lock my truck and I take good care of my things so this was no accident. I found out later on that Dodge may have used defective plastic in the fabrication of their dashboards from 1998-2006. I have worked in manufacturing before and I understand that sometimes when a problem comes up it is "too far gone" to solve on that lot number or batch, so you adjust it for the next one... but 8 years!! You've got to be kidding me! If it is true about the defective plastic then shame on Dodge for not providing their customers with the best product possible. I still love my Dodge but this was a very poor manufacturing decision to move forward for 8 years with defective plastic.

- , Canutillo, TX, USA

Nov 202010

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

bought pickup from bank. Repo. noticed last year that a crack began right over the passenger side airbag (topside). Just kept going and has covered the whole dashboard. Another started this year from the windshield and met the other. In cold weather the crack is very visible, warm weather you can hardly tell that it is there. Dodge should really do something about it.

- , Amarillo, TX, USA

Jun 202005

Ram 1500 4.7

The dash cracked several times over the years and disintegrated upon removal during heater core replacement last week. New dash vent is required and is definitely defective quality from the manufacturer.

- , Cary, NC, USA

Mar 012010

Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab 4.7L

The dashboard is cracking more and more little by little. I am afraid that the dash caves in and causes more and more problems.

- , Duson, LA, USA

May 132009

Ram 1500 Hemi

Dash Board split in 3 different spots. We have the truck parked in the shade with a sun shield. It is our secondary vehicle and not used often.

- , Peoria, AZ, USA

Oct 242010

Ram 1500 5.7 hemi

I've been taking really good care of my truck. It is a 2003 and it only has 60K miles. NOW, a huge crack appear on the dashboard (passenger side by airbag). I have other older cars that just sit in the sun all day and NO problems with those dashboards.

- , Woodland Hills, CA, USA

Sep 162009

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L VR

Just got the second crack a year after the first. Looks like it will eventually cave in.

- , Decatur, GA, US

Apr 152009

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

First crack appeared in April of 2009. Since then I've had seven more cracks appear. Not just the inner part close to the windshield but the large heavy duty plastic dash has cracked in several places. The truck has never been wrecked or abused. I will never buy a Dodge or Chrysler product again. Seems that the problem started in 1998 and lasted all the way through 2006. 8 years of them ignoring complaints from their customers. Not good.

- , New Braunfels, TX, USA

Jul 012009

Ram 1500 5.7L

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 looks great except for a few scratches (its a work truck). Used to love to drive it and laugh at all the Hemi jokes. Now it looks like a ghetto truck, dash cracked in multiple places, vents have no grids. I'm afraid its going to completely cave in. I have to pick my daughter up from school in this truck with her 3 friends. After reading all the complaints I'm afraind its become a saftey issue. Got a quote from the dealer to replace it for $1,700, no offer to pay for half. I'm really ticked now that i know about all the others.

- , Jacksonville Beach, FL, USA

Aug 202008

Ram 1500 5.9L

Mr Brother-In-Law, My Next Door Neighbor, the internet searches, it seems everyone has a cracked dash when they own a Dodge Ram truck! Mine started around two years ago and it just keeps getting worse. When I went to the Dodge dealer, again two weeks ago there is no recall and he thought the replacement dashes were of a better material, but it sounded like he was guessing! After reading about every Dodge truck owner's similar issue why is it nothing is being done? Dodge should be ashamed of itself for it's usual lack of caring for their customers, unless your willing to buy a new vehicle! My dash keeps getting worse, I'm not sure a cap is the solution, aka www.txdashcovers.com, well it may be the only one! I'll keep searching! If anyone knows of a better method I'm All Ears!!!!

- , Houston, TX, USA

Jan 042010

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L

I take pride in my Ram. This was my "Dream Truck" and I have spent more than $10,000 in upgrades for the truck. The exterior of the truck is in excellent condition and the interior is as well with the exception of the dash. it is embarassing to let someone inside and see that the dash is caving in.

- , Sebring, FL, USA

Jul 152008

Ram 1500

My dash on my 2003 Dodge Ram cracked about 3 months after I paid it off. My Ram was the first Dodge I owned, as well as the first pickup I owned. The next $30,000 I spend definitely won't go to Dodge, especially with the garbage they are selling (and won't fix).

- , Knob Noster, MO, USA

Apr 302010

Ram 1500 1500 Hemi

Does anyone have a dodge ram truck that has a cracked dashboard? The cracks look like they were cut with a saw. This is a major problem all over the internet . I have a 2003 dodge ram and reported this to chrysler. They will not repair it and take responsibility for a problem with that is inherent. They told me I would have to pay $800 for repair. We have been loyal Chrysler customers, having had 6 vehicles in the last 20 yrs. Will this be my last? It will depend on Chrysler's response. There are numerous complaints on the internet for the same problem. Customers are not being helped by Chrysler for defective materials that make up the dashboard. This problem has been featured on an Orlando, Florida television station.

- , Port Saint Lucie, FL, USA