2007 Dodge Ram 1500 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Dodge Ram 1500:

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Oct 012013

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph, the vehicle suddenly began to shake and vibrate. The contact had the front tires replaced and a front end alignment performed on the vehicle but the failure continued to occur. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contacted notified the manufacturer of the failure. The failure mileage was 48,000.

- Brooksville , FL, USA

Oct 082013

Ram 1500

When driving at speed and hit joint in road, steering wheel starts to shake violently. A search of the web describes what is called a "death wobble." This vehicle has this condition. Everything in front end checks out fine. Stock truck. This happens a few times a week. My wife refuses to drive truck.

- Street, MD, USA

Mar 132014

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Safety recall notice N62/ NHTSA 13V-528 - left tie rod. After going to Chrysler for a replacement, I was told that it would take 52 weeks before the Dodge service department will receive the part for replacement. I believe this an acceptable time frame and not acceptable considering that failure of the part as described in the recall notice, could be a high risk event, placing myself and my family at risk.

- Camas, WA, USA

Feb 082014

Ram 1500 8-cyl

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 mega cab 4X4 with previous recall for front steering linkage drivers side tie rod snapped while driving making me loose control of the vehicle. Recently notified by dealership during a routine maintenance that a recall for this item had been issued. I never received recall notice from Dodge. Dealership confirmed that the left tie rod needs to be replaced under the N62 recall. Dealership inspected per Dodge direction and confirmed it was safe to drive vehicle. I was placed on waiting list for part. Part would not be available until may possibly. Dealership is only allowed to order 1 recall kit per week per the service manager. I noticed Dodge customer service and was issued case number. Vehicle is at dealership service at this point and I am waiting for response.

- Berlin, CT, USA

Jan 282014

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that he attempted to have the vehicle repaired under NHTSA campaign id number: 13V528000 (steering) but was informed that the parts were not available and that the dealer was only receiving one part per week. The contact felt that since the failure was reported in November 2013, there should have been a remedy available before January 2014. The contact stated that the manufacturer had exceeded a reasonable time for repair. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Fairfield, NE, USA

Nov 152013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

This is a megacab (solid front axle) and the front end started shaking so bad that I was not able to steer and it was very hard to slow the truck down. Only reason it did not cause a crash was because the cars next to me were able to get out of my way fast enough. I replaced the track bar bushings, the steering damper, aligned the front end and installed an aftermarket steering box brace. The issue happened again 3 more times and I am no longer able to drive the truck because it is way too unsafe to operate on public roads. I have seen thousands of other Dodge Ram owners complaining about this same issue and it is nick named Dodge death wobble. Something needs to be done before someone dies, this is a very serious safety issue.

- Centreville, VA, USA

Jan 162014

Ram 1500 6-cyl

My family and I were driving home a few days ago when suddenly the steering wheel jerked hard left while the front end of the truck started sliding into oncoming traffic. I corrected the wheel but it was so loose that we fish tailed the other direction. The steering wheel was violently whipping back and forth as I tried desperately to gain control. Finally the truck straightened out and seemed to be functioning normally after the near catastrophic accident. The following day I took the truck and it started screeching like dragging metal under the drivers side floorboard. I got out to see if anything was dragging from the truck, but didn't see anything. I made it home but it was screeching off and on. The next day when I jacked the wheel off the ground to check under the car I found that the wheel was very loose. I started doing some research online to diagnose the problem and I soon found two recalls for my truck. The first recall was a faulty left tie rod assembly and another was an unreliable wheel hub assembly. I called Chrysler Corp. To get my truck fixed but I was told that it was not part of any of the recalls. I verified that my truck was on both recall lists and she agree while explaining every vehicle in that particular production wasn't recalled.

- Evansville, IN, USA

Jan 022014

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that in early January 2014, he received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 13V528000 (steering ). the contact stated that he attempted to have the vehicle repaired but the dealer informed him that the parts were not available. The manufacturer was not notified. The contact did not experience the failure.

- Rock Springs, WY, USA

Dec 072013

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that while driving in reverse, she turned the steering wheel and heard an abnormal squeaking noise. The contact noticed that there was also fluid leaking from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection where they stated that the contact gear box needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 54,300.

- Cape Core, FL, USA

Jul 232011

Ram 1500

During normal driving conditions on the interstate 64 in richmond va, I experienced the so called "death wobble" after going over a bridge expansion joint. The front of my truck began to vibrate and shake uncontrollably. It stopped once the vehicle slowed to approx. 45 mph.

- Charlottesville, VA, USA

Dec 222011

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Hit a bridge connecting strip, the truck vibrated violently it shook so bad the stuff in the door pouches came out of the pockets. I had to pull over to the side of the road an slow down to 25mph. After that I could only drive 48mph. I was on the interstate when this happened, luckily there was no one beside us, or there would of caused an accident. Chrysler isn't owning up to the problem. The problem has happened about eight times now, I was told it was the stabilizer shock. I had the shock replaced, it would be ok for a wile, then back to the same issue. ( I was told this was the [death wobble].

- Bloomingtonsprings, TN, USA

Sep 012012

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

The outer tie rods are worn again. I had them replaced already once, at approximately 22,000 miles. Don't think that they should wear so fast, this will be the 3rd set including the originals. I see that Dodge has recalled the 2008 my and greater, but not 2007. I think with a late model 2007, chances are the parts are the same as the 2007 my. I think Dodge should pay for this 2nd repair and provide some sort of warranty for it for the future.

- Spencer, WI, USA

Nov 072011

Ram 1500

My steering wheel makes a clicking sound when you turn the wheel. I was told by the dealership that there is only a recall for this on some models. If my vehicle is doing what the recall is stating and I have the vehicle that the recall is on why is it not replaceable free of charge? this makes no sense to me. NHTSA # 09E001000, component : steering linkages. Is out there and I cannot get this replaced under the recall rules. Please explain this to me.

- Frederickburg, VA, USA

Feb 142012

Ram 1500

I received a frantic phone call from my son stating his truck died in the middle of the road. At this time he couldn't start the vehicle and the area was pitch black and he was on a blind curve. My 17 year old son was driving home at approx. 10:00 P.M. on the winding, dark, mountain roads of our community. He was driving his 2007 Dodge Ram hemi 5.7 litre pickup. This pickup has very few miles on it for it's year. As he came into a corner at approximately 40 mph and began to navigate his turn the engine completely stalled leaving him with no brakes, no power steering and no engine. There were no warning lights and he was not able to navigate the turn and could not use the breaks at that point. He was on a dark road at the back side of a blind turn with no power and no brakes. After several minutes he was able to start the vehicle and safely get it off the road. Fortunately there were no cars in the several minutes it took him to restart the vehicle. This is the second occurrence, the first was on a country winding road with less traffic and at a lower rate of speed. As I have researched, it appears that there have been thousands of complaints regarding Dodge / Chrysler 5.7 engine problems with these exact specifications and circumstances. When are we, the consumers, going to get results" will it be after someone is killed and their family is forced to sue Dodge before they will admit the ongoing problem" as I googled this problem I literally found thousands of forums dedicated to this specific problem and over 100 plus websites from consumers warning others that this could happen to them. I even found fleet mechanics from Dodge chiming in on forums stating that Dodge knows of the issue but refuses to correct it. I am asking that the NHTSA take heed and force Dodge / Chrysler to do the ethical thing and correct this problem before an innocent life is taken.

- Clovis, CA, USA

Oct 012010

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

My truck shakes violently when I drive in excess of 57 mph. When I hit a bump in the road (specifically the seems between the road pavement and the concrete bridges) or am in a curve, the shaking is even worse. The only solution is slowing down to 20-30 mph. I have replaced my steering suspension, had my tires rebalanced, had my tires rotated, and had diagnostics checks on tie rods, struts, bearings, etc. To no avail.

- Edgewater, MD, USA

Jul 302008

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

When driving on highways at 70mph or more if you hit any bumps in the road you get a violent shaking in the front end that is so severe that you have to slow down to about 30mph for it to stop. While this is happening its hard to control the vehicle and to keep it in your lane, its even harder to maneuver around turns. This even has a name for it with front end shops"Dodge death wobble" while this is happening all other vehicles tend to move away from you and I've even had people follow me into a gas station to tell me they thought I lost a wheel because of how violent my truck shakes. The dealerships tell me there's nothing wrong and shops say they have changed the entire front ends on vehicles and it still doesn't fix the problems. I feel that this is wrong and dangerous and the nickname is fitting. Please help make Dodge fix this dangerous problem.

- St George, UT, USA

Aug 192011

Ram 1500 4WD

I just bought the truck a week prior to the first time this happened. I hit a small bump in the road going about 55 mph. When I hit the bump the whole truck and the steering wheel began to violently shake. I could not control the truck. It felt like the front end of the truck had broken and was coming apart. I hit the breaks and it finally stopped shaking when I got down to about 30 mph. I pulled over and got out and looked around the truck, and I found nothing wrong with it so I slowly drove it back home. Had it looked at the next morning and was told since it had only done it once that I shouldn't worry about it. It has been about 3 weeks since the first time it happened, and it has done it 5 times now. I took it to the dealership where I bought it and let them look at it, and they said they could find nothing wrong that everything looked like it was supposed to. 2 of the 5 times it has happened on the interstate while I was going about 65-70 mph and had to slam on my breaks in traffic to slow it down to try to get it to stop before I lost control of the truck, almost causing the driver behind me to hit me. I have done alot of research on the issue and found that lots of people are having this same issue with the same trucks and they are calling it a "death wobble", yet nothing has been done about it? I am scared to drive my truck on the interstate now because im afraid that has the potential to cause serious damage to my vehicle and others on the road if I lose control of the truck when it starts the violent shaking. This is a very dangerous problem, and I feel like there should be something done about it asap.

- Edmond, OK, USA

Jul 162011

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl Diesel

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge 1500. The contact stated that the tie rod assembly was repaired under warranty approximately two years ago, but the tie rods have again broke. The vehicle was taken back to an authorized dealer where the contact was informed that the tie rods were no longer covered under warranty. The contact expressed concern over the fact that the tie rods only lasted 20,000 miles. The failure and current mileages were 54,000. The VIN was unavailable. Updated 09/08/2007

- Perrysburgh, OH, USA

Jul 192011

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

I own a 2007 Dodge mega cab 1500. I purchased the vehicle new and have had this issue almost from the beginning. This wobble has not just happened a couple times, it happens every time it is driven. I have tried to get the death wobble fixed several times. Each time I was told it was fixed but for me to do something else too. I have added a leveling kit, replaced tires to the shops specs, shocks, front steering stabilizer and all of the work the Dodge shop has done. The most recent event is that I picked up my truck from the dealer today from it being in the shop for the same reason I had it in the shop 4 other times. I was told the whole front end was fixed and promised the problem was taken care of. I paid the bill and left. I was 20 minutes away from the dealership and it started again. I pulled over and called the dealer. I was told no one was in service even though they did not close for another 30 minutes and to bring the truck back. The truck had already been there for almost a month. I turned around to go back to the dealer my wife was in front of me in her vehicle and the wobble started again. She moved over 3 lanes of highway because she thought I was going to flip the truck. The front right tire appeared like it was going to shake right off. I returned to the dealer and was told the only thing they could do was have me leave it again and someone would look at it tomorrow. Someone is going to be severally hurt with this problem. I have tried everything I have been told to do and nothing works. There are no recalls, no investigations, no one seems to care. Someone is going to have a serious accident or cause a death because of Dodge's faulty equipment. What are we going to have to do before this problem is fixed" is it going to be another Firestone tire issue" I cant afford to another vehicle but I can't imagine what could happen if it does not get fixed.

- Santa Fe, NM, USA

Apr 282011

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

I have a 2007 Dodge Ram megacab, I experience what ive come to hear people call "death wobble" in the truck. I bought the truck in November of 2010, the truck was inspected, I drove the truck on the highway, was driving at 100-120km/hr then experience a shaking in the truck, a violent shaking, much more severe then misalignment or part wear. I arrived in fredricton, got service done on vehicle, and had front end checked out, all was good. Recently I was driving on highway and death wobble happened again, and sheared my outer tie rod end off. It wasnot a failure from the ball in the socket, it was the shaft that goes through the steering knuckle that was sheared off. Called and asked Dodge if they had any issuses with uncontrollable shaking in their trucks, aka death wobble they said they havent. I have a pretty good background in mechanics, I know the death wobble is not right, and ive never seen a tie rod shear off like that before.

- Labrador City, 00, USA