8.3

1. replace dashboard (50 reports)
  2. recall on dash would help (31 reports)
  4. file class action to mandate dodge to replace safety hazard (6 reports)
  5. install pre formed plastic dash (3 reports)
  6. replace dash with quality material (3 reports)
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Dodge Ram 2500:

2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Owner Comments (Page 6 of 7)

Aug 062007

Ram 2500 5.9L

Love my Dodge 2001 2500. Although I have taken great care of the truck, the dash is seriously cracked. Really lowers the vehicle value. Bought a fitted carpet dash mat from J.C. Whitney catalog. The only affordable solution. With so many complaints regarding this same issue, Dodge should be mandated to do a recall.

Update from Aug 16, 2010: This has become a safety issue as the crack continues and there is the danger of wires becoming exposed and of sharp pieces from the plastic. This could also interfere with the airbag function. This is a safety hazard all the way around. Would very much like to see a Class Action filed. Surely there is an attorney out there that would take the case. Would love to get the word out to all Dodge Ram owners.

- , Davie, FL, USA

Jun 272008

Ram 2500 LS 5.9L V8

I CAN NOT BELIEVE THAT DODGE IS NOT STANDING BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT! IT'S OBVIOUS THAT THE CRACKED DASHBOARD IS A DEFECT BUT THEY DO NOT SEEM TO CARE! MY DASH IS COMPLETELY FALLING APART AND IT HAS MADE THE VALUE OF MY TRUCK $00000! CHRYSLER CORPORATION CAN NOT BE TRUSTED BUT THEY CAN TRUCK THAT I WILL NEVER, NEVER PURCHASE ANOTHER ONE OF THEIR PRODUCTS! THANKS ALOT GUYS

- , Lumberton, TX, USA

Jun 012008

Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L V8

Purchased a used (from Dealer) Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 - 48,000 miles, now has about a 3" crack in dash.

After reading much on internet its a common factory fault with these dashes. I am going to try. After reading extensively on the internet.

1:) Clean dash thoroughly to remove any Armor-all or sealants that may have been used prior. (mild soap and warm water, dry with cloth)

2;) Apply Vasoline and rub in (not to hard so to crack it more) - try to use once a month.

3:) Get a Molded carpet dash cover from customer covers (best price I have seen so far)

4:) Keep my fingers crossed that this will slow down the cracking problem.

- , Harrison, ID, USA

Jun 232006

Ram 2500 360

Dodge should have a recall on this dashes. I have seen alot of this trucks with the same problem. Go to any used car lot and look at trucks of the same year or close to it.

- , Jackson, MO, USA

Jul 012007

Ram 2500 Diesel

Ended up getting dashboard mat to cover cracks and help protect the dash from any more until it can be replaced. Pick up was under warranty, still is, however dash would not be covered to replace/fix.

- , Cottage Grove, OR, USA

Sep 072005

Ram 2500 2500

WE HAVE A 1990 CHEVROLET THAT HAS A PERFECT DASH AND TO SPEND 34,000.00 DOLLARS ON A TRUCK TO HAVE THIS HAPPEN AND DODGE NOT TO WANT TO EVEN HELP REPLACE IT JUST GOES TO SHOW WANT TYPE OF VEHICLE WE ALL SHOULD PURCHASE NEXT TIME. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER DODGE NO MATTER WHAT UNLESS THEY DO OFFER TO REPLACE IT.

- , Winnsboro, TX, USA

Apr 012007

Ram 2500 Cummins

My dash is not only cracked all over, it is actually falling in!

- , Conroe, TX, USA

Mar 012008

Ram 2500 2500 Quad Cab 5.9L Diesel

Just bought the truck it has 80,000 miles on it and the dash is cracked all over and pieces missn. Spoke to dodge they said to go to one of there 5 star dealership what a crock of sh*t that was, they were no help at all. They gave me a price of 475.00 and they wont do a thing. Keep written to dodge to see if they will help in anyway or resolve ther problem with there dash problems. Love the dodge p/u and the diesel hope they fix it soon.

- , Bound Brook, NJ, USA

Jul 072004

Ram 2500 4x4 Diesel LST 5.9L Diesel

Dodge 2500 Diesel

Dodge Dash problem. I live in South Texas and on day I parked my truck in the shade the South Texas Marksmanship Training Center for about two hours. When I left the Center, I turned on the AC and after driving a few minutes I heard what I thought was gun shot. I thought someone had taken shot at my truck with a rifle. The noise was a very loud CRACK. I ducked down and continued to drive for about one mile. I pulled over and checked the out side of my truck for bullet holes. No holes! I got back in my truck, and that is when I saw the DASH Cracks. As I drove home the cracks migrated across my dash and opened up to about � inch gaps. I keep my truck parked under my Car-Port when at home and it was in immaculate condition. My truck was under the 36,000 miles at the time so I took it to the Dealer (Fiesta Dodge � San Antonio, TX). The dealer�s service writer told me the cracked dash was not covered under the warranty. So I have been driving with a cracked trashy Dodge Dash. Dodge has a problem with their dashes and is not willing to make good on any dash repairs /replacements.

GF Becquet

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

Jan 042008

Ram 2500 SLT Diesel

I bought this 2001 2500 Diesel about a year ago and now the dash is falling apart along with the Bezel for the Speedo and radio etc. Looks like Dodge really stuck it to a lot of us.

- , Mansfield, TX, USA

Jul 012007

Ram 2500 SLT V8

'01 Ram 2500. Crack in dash appeared one day. A week later the whole dash is cracked and falling through. Very poor product. I called Chrysler customer service 1-800-992-1997 spoke to three different reps. Leslie, Christine, and their supervisor Kelly. I registered the complaint. They told me Chrysler WILL NOT fix the problem since the truck is not within the 3 yr. warranty. I have researched this defect and MANY '01 Dodge Ram owners have experienced this defect. Some have gotten theirs repaired anby Chrysler at little or no cost to the customer. Basically the customer service reps at Chrysler told me I was S.O.O.L.! I WILL NEVER BUY A DODGE/ CHRYSLER PRODUCT!!

- , Keedysville, MD, USA

Feb 102006

Ram 2500

First of all I can't believe that Dodge has not recalled this problem. Or that there hasn't been more complaints on the 2500. You all should look at the 1500's complaints, there are lots. I'm sure if you add up all the dash complaints from all their trucks it should be a sufficient enough for a recall. I'm really disappointed in dodge for not handling this problem more professionally. Might have to go back to Chevy.

- , Merritt Island, FL, USA

Apr 022007

Ram 2500 Sport 5.9L V8

I had no idea that this was such a widespread problem. Dodge needs to get this fixed!!! My 2001 Dodge Ram had 21,000 miles on it when the dash started cracking in 2007. This truck is in immaculate condition. I have a company vehicle, so my truck is rarely driven. Hence, the low miles!! The dash is cracked in numerous places. It is to the point where large cracks are meeting and pieces of my dash is going to start caving in. I spoke with my local Dodge dealer service manager about the problem which he stated that he had not heard of the problem. He was going to give me a number to call to attempt to get the problem corrected but never did. He even said that they are difficult to deal with and not to take no for an answer. He blamed it on me not having enough miles on it and letting it sit in the sun!!!! I am a faithful Dodge buyer, but this lack of help resolving a potentially dangerous problem has me reconsidering.

- , Sulphur Springs, IN, USA

Jun 162007

Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L

This is a major and not an isolated problem with 1999 - 2002 Dodge Rams. When i first noticed the cracking the truck was just out of warranty. Dodge service manager said just put a cover over it or I could spend a 1000 dollars and have it replaced. He all so said his 1999 Ram dash was cracking too, it's a common problem.

This should not be happening and Dodge should stand behind there product and replace the dash board.

I took the truck to a Dodge dealer for a trade in. The first thing they ask me was the dashboard cracked and if it was it would effect my trade in price. If this isn't a major problem with the Dodge Ram, why was that the one of there first questions?

- , Sacramento, CA, USA

Jun 192007

Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L

Poor materials,my dashboard has 8 cracks in it

- , Trafalgar, IN, USA

Jan 012008

Ram 2500 5.9L V8

Same story as these other complaints I have an immaculate interior one day I am sitting in my Dodge and noticed a brand new death crack right through my dash top, two days later I had another one at the other end.

There is a definite defect in the dash of these models, my buddy has a 1500 model and his looks like a jigsaw puzzle with its cracks and pieces missing.

Personally I think its the molding its is just to thin.

- , North Hollywood, CA, USA

Jan 012003

Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L Diesel

Dodge just sucks about refusing do to anything about the issue. I will never buy another Dodge truck again. Dodge and all of the dealers equally suck.

- , Fort Collins, CO, USA

Jun 012007

Ram 2500 Diesel

The dash began with small fracture type cracks that have progressively gotten worse. The vehicle has been well cared for with reflective shields used when parked outside of cover. It's a shame that a truck that has othewise served well has a dashboard that the manufacturer will not cover to repair. With this and another recent problem with Chrysler products I can certainly understand why consumers are moving back to foreign autos. I know this will be my last (in addition to three other family members) purchase of a Chrysler product. And if they did manage to make a good product, there service centers would manage to screw it up!

- , Huntsville, AL, USA

Jun 132007

Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L Cummins Diesel

Saw one small crack one day...then after a month the entire dash was crap! Big chunks of plastic missing, all kinds of problems. I would recommend using Armor all or some other protectant all the damn time!

- , Coloma, MI, USA

Jan 292007

Ram 2500 5.9L

Bought my 4x4 second-hand, but love the heck out of it. First noticed a crack running parallel to the steering column, then the second (bigger) crack began over the glove compartment.

I live in Hawaii, so I've always used window shades to protect my dash from the UVs. Since the truck is second hand, I'm not sure how well the first owner cared for the interior.

This raises an interesting question of whether new truck owners used window shades and STILL had cracks on their dashboards.

- , Waimea, HI, USA