2004 Dodge Ram 2500 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Dodge Ram 2500:

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Owner Comments (Page 6 of 7)

Jun 012010

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact was driving approximately 50-55 mph when the vehicle began to vibrate and shake violently. The contact experienced difficulty in maintaining control of the vehicle and then regained control and continued normally. There was no prior warning of the failure. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where they were unable to locate the problem to determine the cause of failure. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 120,000.

- Cottonwood, ID, USA

May 012010

Ram 2500 4WD 8-cyl

I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 pickup 4X4. When going about 60 mph and hit a bump in the road or a bridge, the truck shakes so violently that I have to pull over to the side of the road. We bought this truck 3 mos ago and the problem described has happened approximately 20 times. I have replaced the stabilizer shock. I have made sure everything under the front & rear end is tight.

- Cleveland, VA, USA

Apr 052010

Ram 2500

While driving under normal conditions truck began shaking violently while traveling about 60 mph and striking bump in road. Truck began to shake so violently that items were falling from visors and items were falling from various storage locations in vehicle. I attempted to gradually slow down and problem actually became worse, until I achieved about 25-30 mph. This is commonly called the "death wobble" and to my understanding Dodge is aware of this. This has occurred on 3 occasions and has caused me to nearly loose control of truck. The first occurrence was so severe I actually called 911 center and asked them to come and check highway, due what I had thought was a to buckle in the pavement. The truck at that time had 30K miles or so. After this occurred I assumed it was due to road condition. Recently when it has occurred again and I began investigating its cause, now realizing its the vehicle, and not the road causing the shaking. This could be deadly as vehicle becomes uncontrollable.

- Ripon, WI, USA

Oct 142009

Ram 2500

Clicking and shaking when in 4X4 mode. Sounded like U joints. After having it checked by a mechanic, he found both sides needed ball joints and the U joints on the axle was worn out. This was an expensive repair of over $1200. Also the tie rod ends needed replacement. He said that the weight of the diesel engine was the cause. He said that all of these front ends with the diesel engine needed to be replaced after about 70K miles. I am disappointed.

- Whitefish, MT, USA

Jun 012009

Ram 2500

I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500. I have been experiencing death wobble for about 1 year now. I have spent approx. $1000 replacing balljoints (available), trackbar bushings, steering stabilizer, axle U-joints, complete 2008 Dodge steering system to include tie-rod ends, pitman arm, and linkage (available), and shocks (available) with no successful results. At this point I am at a loss of where to go next. This is my only vehicle and my wife and daughter have to use it for transportation everyday. After experiencing this for so long I worry everyday. I have researched this online and found out that many other Dodge owners are experiencing the same problems and receiving no help from the dealerships. Please review this and help us Dodge owners repair this problem before someone is killed.

- Riverview, FL, USA

Aug 232009

Ram 2500

My 2004 Dodge 2500 series Ram truck is experiencing the "death wobble". I am unable to go past 55 miles an hour as of today. This problem has been occurring for the last year and I have replaced every part that should have made this problem go away. When I hit a bump or pot hole or anything that will make the truck bounce at all, it violently shakes. This problem is putting everyone around me both on the road and in the truck at risk for a horrible collision. This vehicle is my only vehicle and I have no other choice but to drive it. I have read and experienced myself that there isn't a fix for this problem. All of the owners are now stuck with a vehicle they can't drive but have to pay for. This is not right by any means. Isn't there something we can do to correct this ongoing problem before someone gets killed?? come on Chrysler, step up to the plate and do what is right.

- Riva, MD, USA

Oct 242007

Ram 2500

Out of control ran of road and hit a boulder at about 50mph.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Jan 212010

Ram 2500

Dodge death wobble. I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 that has the death wobble. I see not many have been reported, but everyone ends up with it at one point. Read message boards. They all talk about their experiences. I have to pay 300 bucks to replace parts that are recommended to possibly solve the problem. It is not deadly if handled correctly, but it causes you to have to stop immediately. I had to stop 3 times on the pa turnpike over the weekend. Just got back from dealer. Only suggested to try changing the steering dampener. That is not the issue though.

- Greensburg, PA, USA

Aug 282008

Ram 2500

Severe front end shake (death wobble).

- Owasso, OK, USA

May 052008

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500. While driving 60 mph he struck a pothole, and then the front end of the vehicle began to shimmy. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for inspection. The technician replaced all four tires. After the repair the failure resurfaced. The technician recommended the replacement of the tie rods, ball joints and steering damper. No repairs were made. The failure mileage was 27,000. The current mileage was 35,000.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Sep 192009

Ram 2500

When driving my 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 and I hit a bump in the road the truck shakes uncontrollably. This is has happened before and I took it to the dealer who says there is nothing wrong with it. We have replaced all parts in front end that might have been bad and it still continues to happen, this truck only has 40,000 miles on it. We have a friend with a 2005 that has the same problem.

- Johnson City, NY, USA

Jul 172009

Ram 2500

We own a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500, they had a recall on it was H46, which was a steering linkage, we took it our dealer and they said that it was ok, but the steering shaft was about to fall out. Failure is imminent, they said vehicle is unsafe for the road, I tried to buy the lower shaft, but I can't get it without buying the upper shaft, because of a design change. Why would they change the design if there wasn't a problem, we ask this question to Chrysler and they couldn't or wouldn't answer our question. We drive this vehicle daily and could not feel any play or difference in the wheel. If not for the recall H46 we could have had an accident. Why do these companies wait until somebody get seriously hurt or die before they decide to take action with a problem they know they have. Why we are sending this to you because they redesigned apart and no explanation why.

- Windsor, NH, USA

May 252008

Ram 2500

Steering column has clicking noise. Dodge said it needs to be replaced. The truck only has 47K miles. (already had to replace computer because truck would shut off while going down the highway). I'm concerned I will just lose steering. This truck has been nothing but trouble.

- Wylie, TX, USA

Mar 032008

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl Diesel

I have had several problems with the front end of my 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 3/4 ton four wheel drive ranging from poor ride (shaking and shimmying), tire wear, and several gearboxes being replaced. I originally took it in with 35,000 miles on it to the dealership and they told me the problem was due to the tires being out of balance and that the tire were wore wrong causing the shimmy feeling. Now, two years later the tires on the right side are destroyed, so I took it back to the dealer and they told me it needed an alignment. I took it to local tire company to have new tires and an alignment done and they informed me that the upper and lower ball joints the need to be replaced along with one tie rod at 52,000 miles, costing $1,500 for the work on the front end and $900 for tires. For a vechicle that has never been abused or seriously taken off-road this is ridiculous.

- Sand Springs, OK, USA

Jun 032007

Ram 2500 4WD 8-cyl

When truck is at highway speeds - 65mph and above, and hits a bump, pot-hole, or other in the road, it develops a severe shimmy/shake (aka death wobble) in which the truck becomes out of control and has to be brought to almost a complete stop in order for the driver to regain control.

- Morganton, NC, USA

May 102007

Ram 2500 4WD 8-cyl

I too have recently experienced the violent shaking/shimmy or death wobble"with the 2004 Ram 2500, the first time at 75-80 mph and could do nothing to stop the problem, . I figured I was going too fast and hit a bump at a weird angle. Then, it happened again at 60-65 mph with the same results. You have to just hang on and slow the truck down and hope people get out of the way. The third time it was the final one. I took the truck to the dealership, and they replace the steering damper, that was accomplished with no help. The problem actually got worse and occurred again at much lower speed. I will be replacing the inner and outer right tie rods, and will try again once they arrived. Until then I would be confined to city driving. Dodge needed to wake up and see that this was an extreme safety problem that must be looked into before someone gets killed.

- Littleton, CO, USA

Apr 242007

Ram 2500 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500. While driving approximately 75 mph under normal driving conditions the vehicle began to vibrate violently. The contact was able to reach his destination, but had to drive approximately 55 mph to prevent the vibration. The vehicle was currently being inspected by the dealer. The current and failure mileages were 60,000. The consumer stated the vehicle is company property and assigned to him. The dealer to the consumer the steering stabilizer had worn out. Updated 07/06/07.

- Spearfish , SD, USA

Mar 042006

Ram 2500 4WD 8-cyl

I will be driving along in my truck when it completely shuts off. The steering wheel locks up and I am unable to brake. The truck has already landed in a ditch and posted a major traffic hazard when these episodes occur. In addition, many times my five year old son is with me.

- Sunny Valley, OR, USA

Jul 222005

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl Diesel

Vehicle is in for a third time for same violent shaking at 65mph as reported to this site before. This vehicle is bound for a fatal head-on! I have found numerous complaints of the same problem nationwide on the internet. Dodge bought back 32 vehicles from the state of Maine for the same reason. Is anyone at the NHTSA looking into this? I have video of the problem showing a violent high speed wobble and bounce of the front-end. The video was taken from a second vehicle as I traveled at about 70 mph.

- Mtn.Home, ID, USA

Oct 012004

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl Diesel

At less than 4000 miles on my '04 Dodge Ram 2500 I experienced violent shaking in the front-end at about 70-75 mph. I had to slow to about 35 to recover. This occured on a poor stretch of interstate therefor I avoided this stretch for sometime. At about 13000 miles I experienced the same problem and had to come to a complete stop to recover. This occured three more times on that trip and each time the onset occured at a slower speed. The shake is so violent that there is no steering control and slowing to abruptly enhanced the problem. I have seen several similar complaints on the internet yet only five reported to the NHTSA. There are currently three other pickups with the same problems being serviced at the same dealership I took mine to. I was told by the mechanic that they haven't tracked the problem and Dodge has been of no help. I currently have 600 miles on it since the repair and the problem is back. This problem without a doubt will cause a fatal crash. I am currently restricted to town driving until this problem is solved. Note: The date noted below for the date and mileage of occurence is only an estimate.

- Mountain Home, ID, USA