2008 Dodge Ram 2500 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Ram 2500:

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 8)

Jul 102013

Ram 2500

When pulling forward and turning the steering linkage just fell off.

- Manchester, MI, USA

Jul 312015

Ram 2500

I have a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500 and have experienced problems with my steering components, as described by the ongoing death wobble situation. I have replaced the rh tie rod end myself as when I've contacted the dealers previously, they weren't sure if the rh side would be recalled. Later I've received notices for the N62 recall, for the LH side tie rod end. I have called and called the dealer and they have repeatedly said that parts were not available. Now the truck only has 58,5xx miles on it and the LH tie rod end is about to snap in half. The truck has a very bad noise up front and if around 50 mph, you hit a bump, it goes into a death wobble scenario. I have just replaced the front axle U-joints, another common front end problem with these trucks. I am very tired of these issues. With the news of the buyback, I have called Chrysler and they have said that my truck does not qualify. I assume that is the case because my truck is unrepaired, but under 13V-528, and not 13V-529" but looking at document rcmn-13V529-4092, it states that the same parts will be used for recalls N62 and N49. So why is my truck not included"

- Finleyville, PA, USA

Jul 022015

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500. While driving approximately 45 mph, the vehicle began to pull to the right independently. The failure recurred whenever the vehicle was in operation. There was a recall under NHTSA campaign number: 09V005000 (steering); however, the dealer inspected the vehicle and refused to replace the affected part listed on the recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 188,000. MA 10/19/2015

- Columbus , OH, USA

Jul 282015

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 15V313000 (air bags) and 13V528000 (steering); however, the parts needed to repair the vehicle were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Cheney , WA, USA

Jul 272015

Ram 2500

Chrysler said my truck does not fall under their recall because it was inspected. The steering wheel linkage was not repaired but because it was seen, they said it does not meet NHTSA's stipulation for recall. Is this correct? the truck's steering is terrible and I was about to replace the linkage myself next month anyways due to safety issues when driving and turning radius. Also, they told me that I was due for a recall on the airbag, but there is none available in all the dealerships in the state of Ohio. I would greatly appreciate any kind of response, thanks!! james

- Saint Clairsville, OH, USA

Jan 052015

Ram 2500

I was driving from detroit airport East on highway 94 when my truck started to shake like hell and I thought I had two flat tires in the front. I hit the brakes and the truck become un steerable and started to turn sideways with two lanes of traffic coming at me. This was a very scary ride. I pulled over after I downshifted and the shaking stopped but there was nothing flat or loose that I could see several other drivers stopped to see what had happened. I called a local Dodge dealer and was told that I most have bad brake rotors. I have changed the rotors on all 4 wheels the front wheel bearings the shocks the front stabilizer shock and new brake pads on all 4 wheels still shakes just as bad.I have had several close calls and I want a fix or I will buy a new Ford truck. The bad part of this, is that I retired after 44years with Chrysler.

- Newark, DE, USA

Apr 182015

Ram 2500 6-cyl

I was traveling over railroad tracks on the 18 April 2015, Saturday when the rh steering drag link failed at the ball joint. The failure occur to the grease-able ball joint that connects to the lower A-frame of the rh passenger wheel. If I was traveling any faster than 30 miles an hour when this occurred. I would have lost total control and had an accident with the possibility of injuries occurring. I was able to slow the vehicle down with light touches of the brake pedal and turn to the shoulder of the road and safely stop the truck. The rh front tire was pointed to the left and slightly tuck under the wheel well so it was sliding the passenger tire as I maneuvered off the road. The above components where replaced along with the upper and lower ball joints and the LH tie rod assembly with all new components. I did have my vehicle inspected by the dealer for the N62 NHTSA 13V-528 for the LH tie road failures that Chrysler ordered; on the 14 of Jan 2014 and the dealer said that this recall did not pertain to my vehicle.

- Oswego, IL, USA

Feb 102015

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V528000 (steering). The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician refused to do the repairs under the recall because the vehicle was modified with a dual steering stabilizer. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the issue and stated that the dealer should perform the recall repair. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Gallatin, TN, USA

Feb 102015

Ram 2500 4WD 8-cyl

Inspection revealed excessive play in the left front outer tie rod end. Recommendation made to replace the front tie rod assembly.

- Oak Harbor, OH, USA

Jan 052015

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500. While the vehicle was undergoing a routine inspection at the dealer, the technician diagnosed that the front tie rod and steering shocks needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V528000 (steering). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 66,721.

- Benton, AR, USA

Sep 092013

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign number: 13V529000 (steering). However, the part needed was unavailable. The contact stated the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Rocksprings, TX, USA

Dec 022013

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl

About 11 months ago I received a recall notice from Chrysler for my 2008 Dodge Ram 2500 pick up truck, it was for a suspension problem with the tie rods, recall #N49/NHTSA 13V-529 I called my local Dodge dealer where I bought the truck and they said they could not get the parts, I called several months later and they told me the replacement parts had been "recalled". I have contacted them numerous times still no parts. I have called Chrysler several times and get the same run around, no parts available. This is a real safety issue as the failure of the parts could cause me to crash. I would think Chrysler would be nervous as the liability issue could be very expensive. What if they fail and someone is killed, is this my fault would I be liable? this has been going on for almost a year and still not resolved.

- Hereford, AZ, USA

Oct 012014

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl

While traveling on an interstate highway the vehicle hit a bump and began to shake violently. I slowed the vehicle and the shaking subsided however steering control was minimally maintained. Subsequent bumps or increase in speed resulted in the shaking. The vehicle was stopped and inspected. At that time it was observed the right tie rod end had become completely detached from the steering knuckle. The vehicle was towed to a Dodge dealer. The dealer indicated this vehicle was not part of the recall and replaced the right tie rod assembly at my expense. Further inspection showed the left tie rod end also showed excessive wear and was also subsequently replaced.

- Golden, CO, USA

Nov 152013

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 13V529000 (steering); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The manufacturer was notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Howe, TX, USA

Mar 142013

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl Diesel

2008 Dodge Ram 3500. Consumer writes in regards to left tie rod recall notice. The consumer stated the tie rod broke causing his truck to cross traffic, which resulted in him landing in a ditch. Chrysler sent the consumer a letter stating the repair order he submitted, did not show replacement of parts or services involved in the recall. According to the invoice, the right outer tie rod end broke and damaged the right sway bar end link.

- Stroud, OK, USA

Aug 232014

Ram 2500

I have received an recall notice in January 2014. I was told to wait until April to set up an appointment for servicing my vehicle. It is now the end of August. I have made repeated phone calls and I was told that I am on the list. Call back in a month. I have and now it is just a nuisance. I have called other dealerships and they have told me that customers have called in December and their vehicles are still on the list to get repaired. Why would a manufacture have a recall when they can not honor it. The letter stated, "important safety recall N49/NHTSA 13V-529", is a joke. This notice should not be sent out unless they can honor it!

- Llewellyn, PA, USA

Mar 052014

Ram 2500 8-cyl

At higher speeds the front end starts to shake violently (death wobble) to the point of loosing control, you have to come to a complete stop to get it to stop which can be a problem when driving on the freeway I've took it to the dealer and they said it was the ball joints so I had them replaced it didn't help I also replaced the shocks and steering dampener all this at my own expense. I've had the truck in twice for recalls on the tie rod ends also. From the research I have done online it seems that alot of owners are having the same trouble with no help from Dodge to correct the problem.

- Garland, UT, USA

Apr 162014

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 13V528000 (steering); however, the part needed for the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer had exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the delay. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Ithaca, NY, USA

Jul 252014

Ram 2500 6-cyl Diesel

Received notice approximately 6 months ago, same story as the other complaints I've seen for this same issue. Dealer states that they don't have parts... not enjoying driving my family around thinking about the possibility of having an accident for the entire duration that we've known about this. Hard to fathom why they even bothered to send out notice with no ability to follow through and remedy the defect.

- Chico , CA, USA

Mar 012013

Ram 2500 6-cyl Diesel

While driving this truck at approximately 60 miles an hour I hit a expansion joint as I was on a slight left turn cause the vehicle to shake violently almost losing control until I slowed down to below 30 miles an hour then the suspension stabilized. This has occurred on many occasions since the first incident and I have learned to anticipate when this may occur and expect it. I have taken vehicle to have suspension check and they have found no problems. It was recommended that I put a dual shock absorbing steering stabilizer on this vehicle. This was done and did not correct the problems.

- Forks, WA, USA