2004 Dodge Ram 3500 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Dodge Ram 3500:

2004 Dodge Ram 3500 Owner Comments

Mar 012004

Ram 3500

I bought this truck new and I believe code E17 is the transmission does not always go into park. It stays in reverse I have had close calls with this problem. It is a real concern. The dam signal horn to alert you is to slow to respond and fails when pulling into a parking spot. Also I lost my serpentine belt which caused braking and steering dangerously difficult this was on a city street. It caused me to drive on the wrong side of the road for quite a distance. Both of these issues I have complained shortly after buying new. Dealer denied problems until recalls

- Kalama, WA, USA

Jan 092013

Ram 3500

I have had a vibration and "death wobble" on my truck since I purchased it. It has been to two different Chrysler dealers for a total of 5 or 6 times without resolution of the issue. The issue is two fold, one is when I hit a large bump at speeds greater than 45 mph the steering wheel shakes violently, and the other this speeds over 60 mph there is a vibration. I have spoken to Chrysler about the issues about a year or so ago. They tried to offer buy back because the issue could not be resolved, but then told me I was not qualified because I was the second owner. I also had to have the steering gear box replaced under warranty, and they replaced all the tie-rod ends ect. The issues is still the same without resolution. Now my warranty is up, and the truck still has this potential dangers issues and I have no where to go. Anytime I have the truck looked at now it cost me a lot of money. My truck has recall 13V-528 and 09E-001 which relate to these issues. The truck was inspected, but they did not fix anything.

- Kellogg, IA, USA

Jul 242013

Ram 3500 6-cyl Diesel

I was heading South on I-87 in New York state at 65 mph when a loud explosion sounding like a grenade going off occurred under the floorboards. My passenger and I thought the parts under the truck were going to explode through the floorboards under us. There was a lot of noise of exploding parts. I was barely able to cost to the side of the highway. There was a great deal of oil on the pavement, wires were hanging under the truck, fuel lines and brake lines were ripped, driveshaft damaged. I noticed then that the dashboard 4 wheel drive light had come on, the front hazard lights worked but not the rear. I believe that this was the result of one of two things...a factory defect in the transfer case clutch or a computer system glitch that caused the truck to switch into 4 wd at high speed. This was a life threatening situation and I was lucky not to be involved in a serious accident and that the parts did not burst through the bottom of the truck although they dented it.

- Danbury, CT, USA

Mar 302014

Ram 3500 6-cyl Diesel

I put my truck into park and was walking around the rear to check my mailbox and the truck started rolling forward and hit my main gate, which was closed and had a slide bolt closed. I ran around to the door to try to jump into the cab (thinking my gate had stopped the truck) when my gate crashed open (bending the heavy bolt and tearing one of the gates down and bending the other gate) and it kept moving toward a tree. Like an idiot, I ran and grabbed the grab bar and jumped into the cab and hit the brakes. If I had fallen I would have been run over by the dually wheels or if headed out the gate, could have hit a car. This is the second time it happened - originally it happened back in 2005 and I thought I had just neglected to put the truck into park, but the second time it happened I realized there was a problem with the truck and not me.

- Ocala, FL, USA

May 062014

Ram 3500

The contact owns 2004 Dodge Ram 3500. The contact stated that while driving 75 mph, the vehicle started vibrating violently and exhibited an abnormal noise. The contact immediately depressed the brake pedal and it failed to engage. The vehicle was towed to the contact's home. The failure was not diagnosed. Both the dealer and manufacturer were not notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 137,000.

- Granger, IN, USA

Jun 052005

Ram 3500 4WD 6-cyl Diesel

Piece of crap, loss of power, drive train dont hold up to loads that it states that it could pull, clutch slips when accelerating vehicle.

- Granbury, TX, USA

Sep 142004

Ram 3500

Consumer states he pulled up in his back yard after driving his vehicle, put his vehicle in park cut it off. He then got out of the vehicle walked around to the rear of the truck to open the tail gate and noticed the truck was moving backward. He states he tried to catch it, but was unsuccessful, it knocked him down. He then could do no more than just lie on the ground and watch the vehicle run into his gate. He says this has happened before with his son. He says he is just fortunate that he or his son was standing iin the way of the vehicle when it begin to roll. He states that the park pawl do not engage securely, causing it to just out of park and into reverse. He states he has looked on the internet and there are other complaints of the same nature. He says this incident happened 8/27/04.

- Orange, TX, USA