2005 Dodge Ram 3500 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Ram 3500:

2005 Dodge Ram 3500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Apr 302016

Ram 3500

The contact owned a 2005 Dodge Ram 3500. While driving 45 mph, the driver side tie rod detached and caused the contact to lose control of the vehicle. As a result, the contact crashed into another vehicle. There were no injuries and a police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed and towed to the contact's residence. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 09E001000 and 13V528000 (steering). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 240,000.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Mar 012016

Ram 3500

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Ram 3500. While driving approximately 40 mph, the front tie rod separated. The failure caused the front passenger side wheel to turn left and caused the vehicle to turn left into the opposite lane. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The contact's vehicle brushed the rear driver side bumper of the oncoming vehicle. The police were at the scene, but did not file a report. There were no injuries. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who stated that the failure was a known issue and did not pinpoint the source of the failure. The contact was unaware of NHTSA campaign numbers: 05V462000 (power train), 09E001000 (steering), 13V528000 (steering), and 15V313000 (air bags). The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 221,000. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Dawsonville, GA, USA

Jan 122016

Ram 3500

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Ram 3500. While driving at approximately 35 mph, the contact pulled the vehicle into the parking lot. The vehicle was placed in reverse and the contact heard a very loud crashing noise. The contact observed that the passenger side tie assembly snapped in half. As a result, the steering linkage detached and landed on the ground. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed and repaired. The vehicle experienced the failure intermittently. The manufacturer was notified. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 155,000.

- Missoula, MT, USA

Jan 242016

Ram 3500

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Ram 3500. The contact stated that the steering wheel failed to turn to the left while pulling out of a parking space at approximately 10 mph. The contact discovered that the tie rod was fractured and disengaged from the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign: 13V528000 (steering); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 130,000.

- Manchester, KY, USA

May 192015

Ram 3500

There is some kind of front-end vibration or wobble that starts at about 40 mph through 44 mph. I can't detect it above that speed. It can be felt through the steering wheel. I have had the tires balanced and rebalanced. The vibration is not affected, and remains the same. I have read of a recall that addresses front-end steering problems regarding the left-front tie rod ball joint. I can't find if this applies to the condition on my truck, but it may be possible. I just want to go on record that this truck has a vibration condition in the front end that at this time is not diagnosed.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Oct 012014

Ram 3500

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Ram 3500. While driving over 50 mph over a bump in the road, the steering wheel suddenly began to shake and vibrate excessively. The front end of the vehicle would wobble severely, making the vehicle extremely difficult to control. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the steering linkage was faulty. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 35,000.

- Oakview, CA, USA

Jun 092015

Ram 3500

While driving at about 60 mph, I hit a minor bump in the roadway the steering wheel started shaking side to side and the truck started shaking violently. The only way it stopped was to reduce my speed, while I was in a merging express lane and I was in front of a semi truck with a full load. I had to put on flashers and drop speed to 30 mph to regain control of steering. I think this problem should be investigated as some one is going to get killed by this happening to them. I had my wife with me. It was a very scary and dangerous situation. - 2005 Dodge 3500 Ram laramie owner / Eagle creek,

- Eagle Creek, OR, USA

Jun 012015

Ram 3500

Hit a bump in the road and truck went into a death wobble...had to come to a complete stop to gain control again. It has happened three more times since then. I found a kit on the internet to strengthen the steering gear box and the tie rods but am about ready to be done with Dodge. I only drive the truck now at 55 or below and won't let anyone ride with me. This is a real and persistent danger to myself and the people on the road with me. I am a fairly strong man (farmer and cattleman) and I could not control the truck. I paid a lot of money for this truck to haul my cattle and the dealer does not acknowledge any problem. Sorry for the anger but if this, and it does, endanger me my family or the other folks on the road I get really mad. Especially when the dealer says there is no problem...I'm going back in tomorrow and ask the owner of the dealership to drive it and then tell me that there is no problem. Again, I apologize for the rant but I am a totally disabled vietnam vet and this really pisses me off...

- Arcadia, FL, USA

Jun 012015

Ram 3500 4WD 6-cyl Diesel

2005 Dodge Ram. Consumer writes in regards to steering linkage recall notice replacement issues. The consumer was informed the part was on back order.

- Gallatin Gateway, MT, USA

Jun 052014

Ram 3500

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Ram 3500. Upon attempting to exit the driveway, the driver side tie rod fractured without warning. The vehicle was towed to the authorized dealer who replaced the tie rod. Also, the contact stated that the steering gear fractured without warning. While traveling, the contact was not able to turn the steering wheel to the left without applying extreme force. The vehicle was taken back to the authorized dealer who diagnosed that the steering box needed to be replaced. The contact stated that the failures occurred while waiting on the recall repairs for NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V81700 (air bags), 13V528000 (steering), 09E001000 (steering), and 05V462000 (power train). The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 86,000.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Feb 032015

Ram 3500 4WD 6-cyl

I was driving and hit a bump and my truck shook violently!!!!! I called dick poe Dodge, they called it the 'death wobble.' They told me I had to pay $95 for a diagnostic test!!! I found a recall on your site and they inspected the steering and said nothing was wrong.......nothing's wrong!!!!!!!!!!! I still have the death wobble!!! very afraid to drive the truck!!!

- El Paso, TX, USA

Feb 222015

Ram 3500

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Ram 3500. While driving approximately 60 mph, the vehicle accelerated independently. The contact also stated that the ability to steer and brake seized. The contact crashed into the center divider before coming to a stop. The frontal air bags did not deploy. The contact sustained a dislocated right arm, which required medical attention. The contact did not specify if a police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The technician was unable to duplicate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 119,000.

- Huntington Beach , CA, USA

Dec 202014

Ram 3500

After having the entire front end and steering to include axles and bearings replaced, once. Tie rods under recall, twice, replaced tie rods on own, twice, all 4 ball joints replaced 3 times, I experienced a violent front end shake on 20 Dec 2014 doing 50-55 mph on the high way. The latest recall was for the left outer tie rod, replaced in Feb 2014. Towed my truck and found the left outer tie rod to be defective yet again! all the numerous front end repairs have taken place between March 2009 - present date as the truck is in the shop yet again for a several hundred dollar repair!

- Clinton, IN, USA

Jul 152014

Ram 3500 6-cyl Diesel

I received recall notice from Chrysler in January 2014 N62 / NHTSA 13V-528. The replacement left tie rods were recalled due to the fact that the replacements were defective. It has been over six months since the tie rods replacements were recalled. Dealer will not schedule a inspection until the replacements for the replacements are received. What is the hold up"?" Chrysler is making record profits.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Feb 272014

Ram 3500

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Ram 3500. The contact received a notification of NHTSA campaign id number: 13V528000 (steering) and stated that the remedy part needed was unavailable to perform the repair. The dealer was unable to provide an expected date for the part to become available. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Winterville Plantation, ME, USA

Jan 062014

Ram 3500 6-cyl Diesel

To whom it may concern, I received a recall notice to fix a tie rod on my 2005 Dodge Ram 3500 pickup in January 2014. Recall #N62/NHTSA 13V-528. Took it promptly to marshall motors in salina Kansas. Where they inspected it and confirmed there was an issue. They took my recall notice and personal information. Told me that they would call is now 7/01/2014 no call. I have contacted them 2 times and there answer is part is on backorder.

- Salina, KS, USA

Jun 052013

Ram 3500 6-cyl Diesel

Entering freeway from a stop light and hit a small bump send the truck into violent and uncontrollable shaking and loss of steering. Because it has happened before, this time I tried accelerating out of it but did not work. Finally I stopped at the solder of the highway without causing an accident. Since then I have received two recall notices from Dodge, took the truck every time to the local dealer, reno Dodge, and both times they said my truck is not effected by those recalls including today. Almost on a daily basis I hit bumps that almost put the truck in that "dance of death". finally I did an internet search and found numerous accounts of the identical cases under comparable conditions. I wish I could sell my truck and get a new one but financially is completely out of the question. Sooner or later the same thing will happen an I will hurt someone or myself of both. I hope you can help.

- Reno, NV, USA

Jun 012011

Ram 3500 6-cyl Diesel

After hitting a non perpendicular expansion joint connecting the highway to a bridge, the front end of the truck started shaking uncontrollably. It could not be steered. Fortunately I slowed down and moved to the solder without causing an accident. Went to the local reno Dodge dealer, don weir Dodge, and they pretended whey have never of anything like that.

- Reno, NV, USA

Jun 262014

Ram 3500 6-cyl Diesel

Recieved notification of part recall N62/nhtsa13V-528 in December 2013. Had vehicle inspected 01-06-2014 vehicle identified needed part changed. Was told parts were not available at that time, only 2 parts per week being delivered. I was number 100 on list. At that rate it would have taken 2 yrs - keep receiving warning notices about safety and if this part fails it's fatal and how concerned Chrysler was for my safety.. yet no parts. Contacted local dealership 4 times, they said I was on the list to be called and notified when part came in- never got a call. I called dealership 6-27-14 and was told the parts are here -nobody knew why I hadn't been called. (kendall Dodge Chrysler Jeep at 1824 main in lewiston Idaho 83501 - 208-743-9493. Very unhappy, frustrated with Dodge, won't buy another.

- Clarkston, WA, USA

May 192014

Ram 3500

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Ram 3500. The contact attempted to have the vehicle repaired under NHTSA campaign number 13V528000 (steering), but was informed that the parts were unavailable and the dealers were receiving one part per week. The contact felt that since the failure was reported in November of 2013, there should have been a remedy available before may of 2014. The contact felt that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable time for repair. The vehicle had not experienced a failure.

- Fountain, FL, USA