1.7

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid:

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jul 282012

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

At 65 mph on hwy 5 in los angeles the vehicle died and the " stop safely now" message came on. Fortunately, I was able to safely get from the 3rd lane to the shoulder. After putting the car in park and turning off the key I was able to restart and continue. About 15 miles later it did the same thing again with the same message. Again able to safely pull off the freeway and after putting it in park turned the key off and back on and was again on my way. Both times the cruise control was on so after that I did not use the cruise and have not had another occurrence.

- Fillmore, CA, USA

Jul 072012

Escape Hybrid

This is the second time in two months car warnings to "stop vehicle safety" in a middle of highways. We just had a few seconds to pulled vehicle off the road and is very dangerous maneuver it. Once we pulled it off we turned off engine and waited for a few minutes to restarted again to complete our destination. This is a very delicate situation due the short time to react when engine suddenly turns off. We have two kids and our life had been in tremendously danger to be hit by another car.

- Weston, FL, USA

Aug 202011

Escape Hybrid

August 2011 - had driven approximately 200 miles tn into va when stop safely now message appears. Pulled over, waited a few minutes and started the engine. No help available locally as it was small town late Saturday. Decided to continue trip home - drove slowly in right lane for last 200 miles. No recurrance the rest of the way. My mechanic could find nothing wrong upon return home. Did not occur again until June 9, 2012 - about 150 miles from home. Same scenario - stopped for a minute then went on. Happened again on June 20, 2012. After stop and go traffic then running at 70 mph when message appears, this time the engine shut down immediatly and I barely got onto the shoulder with traffic speeding by about 2 feet off my right. Tried to start again but message that the engine was dangerously heated appeared. After sitting for about 10 minutes, it started, I turned on the heat (despite 90+ outside temp) and got off at next exit and parked for about an hour. Started up and drove home. No other occurance since. My mechanic tells me now that I need a coolant pump based on the stored service code. Will cost over $700 part and labor. Just hope it fixes it. It is extremely dangerous when the engine shuts down with only seconds of warning. In the area I live, I wouldn't always be able to even get onto a shoulder safely.

- Stafford, VA, USA

Jun 282011

Escape Hybrid

While traveling home on an interstate at 70 mph the red brake light came on after a light breaking situation. I did the system check available on the vehicle and the brake fluid was shown as ok. The brake pads were replaced not long ago so I was confused. A short time later the yellow ABS light came on. When I went to brake my foot went to the floorboard and the vehicle was not stopping. I swerved onto the shoulder of the interstate to avoid an accident. It took a great distance ( I would say more than 100 yards ) for the vehicle to stop. I was never so scared in my life. I drove home on side streets at 25 mph with my warning lights flashing and virtually no brakes. After taking the vehicle to a Ford dealership I researched the break failure issue and to my amazement found numerous other such incidents. After five days in the repair shop and three failed attempts by the technician to bleed the break lines I was told that I needed a $4200 computer control unit. I believe this is a serious design flaw in the electrically controlled break system of the hybrid vehicle and no person should have to go through the terror of attempting to stop from 70 mph with the breaking system shut down. This is a timebomb waiting to go off in the form of a fatal accident.

- Wayne, MI, USA

Jun 292009

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Escape hybrid. While driving approximately 55 mph, the stop safely light was illuminated. The vehicle stalled after approximately five seconds and was towed to the dealer. The technicians stated that the cooling fan unit for the hybrid battery and the wiring safety harness would need replacing. The vehicle was repaired. The failure recurred a second time while the vehicle was parked. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where the technicians informed the contact that the cooling fan unit for the hybrid battery and the wiring safety harness needed to be replaced a second time. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 65,000. Updated 08/01/11 the vehicle was repaired again for the second time for the same problem on June 29, 2011. Updated 08/02/11

- Portsmouth, VA, USA

Nov 062010

Escape Hybrid

I was traveling on the highway @ 65 mph when I experienced a 'catastrophic engine failure' with four occupants. I don't know if it was skilled driving, divine intervention or just plain luck that permitted me to safely stop the vehicle without a crash or injury. Had vehicle towed by aaa to dealership. Service department said the "hybrid battery cooling system" had failed and caused the engine to stop with no warning. I was almost rear-ended by a semi truck.

- Woodland, CA, USA

Sep 242010

Escape Hybrid

2006 Ford Escape hybrid - intermittent power brake boost failure. When beginning to press on brakes for an instant they feel normal and power assisted, then the pedal falls and all power assist is gone. The vehicle stops with great pressure in the last few inches of pedal travel. 3 occurrences: As of October 4, 2010 1. May 2010 at the end of a freeway off ramp at approximately 160,000 miles on the vehicle 2. 24 September, 2010 ( approximately 180,000 miles on the vehicle) same brake problem occurred after a stop of over 30 minutes, and when the vehicle was backed up, first brake pressing resulted in an instant of pedal, then pedal snapping to the floor and car stopping after application of manual pressure. Dash indicator lights came on a few seconds later. 3. one week to the day later, 1 October, 2010 at approximately 188,500 miles. First brake application after a start of the vehicle and backing up. Pressing brakes resulted in the failure described. Approximately 30 or 40 seconds after the loss of brake boost the dashboard lit up with "brakes" red light and otherslike the 'service soon' wrench. I am the purchaser of the car new in the los angeles, California area, and the primary ( over 90% of the time) driver, covering over 110 miles 4 days a week.

- Chino Hills, CA, USA

Aug 182010

Escape Hybrid

Driving my Ford Escape hybrid on I 5 wa state. Warning lite came on that said stop safely now and my engine had stopped. I was in the left lane on the highway and had to unsafely maneuver 4 lanes to the right without the engine on.. I read my manual and it said to try and start, which it did. 3 miles later it did it again. This went on for 4 or 5 more times. I got off the highway and limped to a Ford dealer. They repaired it, it as a hybrid component cooling pump. It cost me $726. They wouldn't cover it. I view this as a severe safety problem.

- Boise, ID, USA

Mar 312008

Escape Hybrid

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Escape hybrid. The contact has experienced multiple failures with the vehicle shutting off without warning. While driving 30 mph, the vehicle shut off and all of the instrument panel lights illuminated. In addition, a light illuminated that read, "stop safely now". the vehicle was taken to the dealer, but they could not duplicate or determine the cause of the failure. The dealer advised the contact to call the manufacturer. The manufacturer stated that the dealer would call him to take the vehicle back to the dealer. When the vehicle was taken back to the dealer, they still could not duplicate the failure. Neither the dealer nor the manufacturer could provide a remedy for the failure. The vehicle continues to shut off while driving at any speed. The failure mileage was 37,692 and current mileage was 52,000. Updated 08/19/09.

- Poterville, CA, USA