2006 Ford Escape Hybrid engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid:

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Nov 262013

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

Car stalled out while driving. It happened 3 more times before I took it to the Ford dealer who told me it was the throttle body.

- Brighton, CO, USA

Feb 152013

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

After a long freeway drive, was on a side road and car died...engine light I've never seen before, came on. I was able to pull to the side of the road. Put car in park, took a deep breath and tried to start it again. It started and worked fine until the next incident, several months later. It has now happen 4-6 times, always when on a city street, not the freeway.

- San Pedro, CA, USA

Aug 102013

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

While driving on I-195 East going towards bwi the engine just cut off for no reason or warning then a red traingle appeared stop safely I was able to pull over safely was almost rear ended by a tractor trailer the car would not turn back on for about 5 min after it started I had no power what so ever when about 2 miles at 30 miles per hour and it did it again managed to get it home based on what I have been reading why has Ford not recalled this issues or are they waiting for some one to get killed there needs to be a recall before someone gets hurt. I am looking into getting a lawyer if Ford does not want to fix it.

- Elkridge Md , MD, USA

Mar 152013

Escape Hybrid

2006 Ford Escape hybrid. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle completely lost all power while driving. Smd the consumer also stated a red triangle appeared on the instrument panel.

- Washington, DC, USA

Mar 022013

Escape Hybrid

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Escape hybrid. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the vehicle stalled and a light illuminated that said stop safely now. The vehicle was restarted and operated as designed. The manufacturer was notified and advised the contact to take the vehicle to a dealer for diagnosis. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure and current mileage was 74,000.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Feb 032013

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

I was about 4 miles from my home traveling the highway about 45mph after a 16 mile trip. Without warning the engine stopped and the dashboard showed a red triangle and the words stop safely now. I had no choice as all power was gone. I was fortunate to not be on the freeway at top speed! I waited about 5 minutes then restarted the vehicle and proceeded home. About an hour later I ran an errand that usually takes about 25 minutes round-trip. It took almost an hour; the engine stoppage and stop safely now business happened three times. Each time I waited 5-10 minutes and proceeded on my way. The car never showed any check engine warnings, chimes, noises or operational difficulties--it just happened suddenly and without warning. This is very dangerous and I am terrified to take my vehicle on the freeway or Venture far from town!

- Hemet, CA, USA

Dec 072012

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

I was driving at 55mph on a county road. All of a sudden the engine started to make a banging noise and I lost most power. I was able to limp into a oil change place. They looked at the oil and it was nearly empty. I have always changed the oil on time and done all other maintenance on this car. There was no apparent oil leak and no sign of burning oil. I had checked the oil about 300 miles prior. The oil just disappeared and the engine threw a rod necessitating a new engine. Estimated repair cost 5-6K. I have read of at least 21 other people who experienced the exact same problem; the oil just disappeared and the engine throws a rod. There is obviously a defect in this engine. I was lucky that I was driving on a country road and not a freeway and had a place to pull over.

- Taos, NM, USA

Nov 052012

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

I am sitting on I-95 in Connecticut and almost got into an accident. My truck just stopped. The red triangle with the explanation point came on and the car flashed "stop safely". all systems are normal. This has happened 3 times this trip and I'll be lucky to get home alive.

- Greenwood Lake, NY, USA

Jul 142012

Escape Hybrid

My 2006 Ford Escape hybrid cut off the combustion engine while traveling down a country rd. Was able to pull off with declining power in the electric engine. Display read "pull over safely" and nothing else. I brought it in to both a Ford dealership who referred me to a Toyota dealership because they didn't have anyone who knew about hybrid cars. Since the problem did not occur at the time I brought it in and there were no problems showing on a diagnostic test they could not do anything. The SUV has done this numerous times since and sometimes shuts off both engines in the middle of the highway. I thought speed and hard driving were the problem which it tends to happen more so on 45min or greater drives but has been known to do this at 15mph in residential areas. Very scary, especially on crowded high speed roads as you cannot "pull over safely" with neither motor running. If their excuse is its a safety feature it is not very safe. I contacted Ford via E-mail and they were nice enough to refer me back to the original Ford dealership and send the dealership the E-mail I had sent to their customer support in confidence stating I did not trust the dealership and they should investigate their practices (for previous reasons relating to other car issues). Saw many posts in forums that this problem relates to the cooling pump for the electric motor. Ordering a new coolant pump online as I will not go to the Ford (as I saw a post eloquently put) "stealership".

- Kyle, TX, USA

Aug 252012

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

Driving on the interstate and the car shuts down displaying a stop safely now error.... apparently a faulty pump. The same pump that we've already replaced 3 times..... not only is this annoying but it's a huge safety problem. The vehicle loses all power!

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Aug 272012

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

While traveling on an interstate hwy at 70 mph and passing a semi, the engine shut off and the stop safely now warning came on. There was no warning, I lost speed and barely moved out of the way of the truck. This failure almost cost me and my passenger our lives. The car started again about half an hour later but only ran long enough to limp to a gas station. We called aaa, had the car towed to a dealership where they diagnosed it as either the ignition switch or the PCM...I have two sons who are top mechanics. This is not the problem. They believe a wiring harness for the hybrid battery is defective, and that there was a letter sent to all hybrid owners. I took this letter to the local dealership when I received it. They said it didn't pertain to my vehicle and did not perform the required maint. Really" this is a serious safety hazard. How many accidents, deaths, or near misses must happen before Ford reacts and actually owns up" fyi blogging is out there for us all!

- Bentonville, AR, USA

Aug 212012

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

While driving on highway at high speed (55mph), entire powertrain (gas engine and hybrid motor) completely shutdown with no warning leading to an abrupt loss of power and control of the vehicle, and was unable to completely pull off the road safely. The dashboard information center just displayed "stop safely now." There was no warning of this at all. Vehicle would not restart. After sitting for one hour, vehicle restarted and drove perfectly for another 3 days, then the same thing happened again on local streets, leaving the car in a very dangerous position in the middle of the street. Brought into shop and they could not find anything wrong with it. I am almost afraid to drive this vehicle anymore.

- Seaford, NY, USA

Jul 282012

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

At 65 mph on hwy 5 in los angeles the vehicle died and the " stop safely now" message came on. Fortunately, I was able to safely get from the 3rd lane to the shoulder. After putting the car in park and turning off the key I was able to restart and continue. About 15 miles later it did the same thing again with the same message. Again able to safely pull off the freeway and after putting it in park turned the key off and back on and was again on my way. Both times the cruise control was on so after that I did not use the cruise and have not had another occurrence.

- Fillmore, CA, USA

Jul 152012

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

I was driving down the highway in my 2006 Ford Escape hybrid going about 65 mph and started to accelerate to pass another vehicle and my car suddenly shut down. It was as if I slammed on the brakes. And I could not pick up speed after that. There was no warning on my dashboard only the display saying to "stop safely now". I pulled over and let the car idle for a minute. There was still not other warning and the car was not making any noises and no steam coming from hood. I shut it down, waited a minute, then restarted it. It started back up fine. Nothing on the display now and still not making any noise. I pulled ahead a little to see if it would move and it did. I let it idle for another minute then proceeded back onto highway to try to get home. I got up to about 40 mph and the same exact thing happened. I pulled back to side of highway and called aaa for a tow truck. When the tow truck came about 1 1/2 hours later, my car would not start at all at that point. Towed it to a shop who then said the car's oil was not reading on the dipstick. I had my oil changed in March by a reputable company and have always had my oil changed consistently. They told me my engine was gone and I needed a whole new one. I then had my car towed to a Ford dealership, where I bought, it for a second opinion and he said the same thing that I needed to have my engine replaced due to internal engine noise. They also told me I needed the throttle body and coolant pump replaced. They also said no visible external oil leaks and no indication of internal engine use such as "blow-by". their overall estimate to fix my car, including a new engine, is $8000. I never had at any point any indication that something was wrong with my car. No noises, no warning lights. I bought it brand new. I can't afford repairs of that magnitude. I called Ford and they said there is nothing they can do.

- Tewksbury, MA, USA

Aug 202011

Escape Hybrid

August 2011 - had driven approximately 200 miles tn into va when stop safely now message appears. Pulled over, waited a few minutes and started the engine. No help available locally as it was small town late Saturday. Decided to continue trip home - drove slowly in right lane for last 200 miles. No recurrance the rest of the way. My mechanic could find nothing wrong upon return home. Did not occur again until June 9, 2012 - about 150 miles from home. Same scenario - stopped for a minute then went on. Happened again on June 20, 2012. After stop and go traffic then running at 70 mph when message appears, this time the engine shut down immediatly and I barely got onto the shoulder with traffic speeding by about 2 feet off my right. Tried to start again but message that the engine was dangerously heated appeared. After sitting for about 10 minutes, it started, I turned on the heat (despite 90+ outside temp) and got off at next exit and parked for about an hour. Started up and drove home. No other occurance since. My mechanic tells me now that I need a coolant pump based on the stored service code. Will cost over $700 part and labor. Just hope it fixes it. It is extremely dangerous when the engine shuts down with only seconds of warning. In the area I live, I wouldn't always be able to even get onto a shoulder safely.

- Stafford, VA, USA