2006 Ford Escape Hybrid engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid:

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 172016

Escape Hybrid

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Escape hybrid. While driving at various speeds, the vehicle stalled and several warning indicators illuminated on the instrument panel. Also, when the brakes were applied, the brake pedal would be very stiff, and the vehicle would skid. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the fan was changed in the hybrid system; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 75,000.

- Yuma, AZ, USA

Oct 012014

Escape Hybrid

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Escape hybrid. While driving approximately 35 mph, the high motor temperature and stop vehicle safely warning lights displayed as the vehicle suddenly lost power and stalled. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the motor electronics coolant pump was faulty and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 114,000.

- Beth Page, NY, USA

Jul 092016

Escape Hybrid

Our vehicle seemingly randomly shuts off all power to the engine and the electric motor. This can happen while we are moving or stopped in an intersection. We get a message of stop safely now on the dashboard. When you are in the middle of an intersection waiting to turn left in six lanes of traffic and your car stops for no apparent reason this isn't very safe. This has happened about 30 times. Sometimes it goes a year without a mishap or three times in one day.

- Marshall, NC, USA

Jun 032016

Escape Hybrid

Driving car and brakes failed completely. Had to jump on the brakes to get any traction whatsoever. Was fortunately able to use the emergency brake before I got into an accident. Yellow ABS and red brake lights are on, along with messages of check brake system and regen brakes disabled. Appears to be a common problem with Escape hybrid that it is the hydraulic control unit - a part to repair which is more expensive than the car is worth.

- Gulf Breeze, FL, USA

Feb 032015

Escape Hybrid

I own a 2006 Ford Escape hybrid- I received notice last year of recall for stalling. I asked dealer in Dec to replace. Was told part was limited and as long as no problem they were unable to get part.( also asked in Jan- no change.. in Feb the vehicle started stalling numerous times. After then having the car 3 days. Was told they no longer am able to get the part. Took it back twice more and am now being told they are no longer making the part. And my vehicle continues to stall.- is there a number to call at Ford to see why no part..

- Ramah, NM, USA

Apr 112010

Escape Hybrid

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Escape hybrid. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the engine stalled. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Stillwater, OK, USA

Nov 192014

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

On cold morning, car started drove down the road about 5 miles and the car just died, saying "brake safely now." Seems to happen only on cold days when heater is on. It will not start again for 30 minutes. It will start, but will continuously die. We had called Ford in middlesboro, ky and spoken with frank who said our vehicle did not have any recalls. I then found out it had a recall. I took it in over the weekend and he then claimed on Monday that the recall item had been fixed. However, when I checked the website, it confirmed the problem had not been fixed. This has been going on for about a month now. We have had the oil changed, battery replaced and it checked by Ford of morristown, tn. They claim they can't find out whats wrong with it. We have read other people's similar complaints who said it was either the "electric motor water pump" or coolant pump.

- Jonesville, VA, USA

Apr 202014

Escape Hybrid

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Escape hybrid. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph, the engine stalled. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the hybrid battery was defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V526000 (engine) and believed that the recall was directly related to the failrue. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was unknown.

- Anderson, IN, USA

Oct 052014

Escape Hybrid 4WD 4-cyl

I was driving on an interstate highway and the engine shut down. The dash showed a warning stating something to the effect of 'stop safely now'. I steered the car to the shoulder of the road and tried to restart it and nothing happened. I waited a few minutes and the car started. It has run fine since then. This problem occurred a number of years ago with this same vehicle. I would be driving down the highway and the car would just stop. After a few minutes it would start again. Sometimes it would happen twice within an hour and then there would be no incidences for weeks to months and then it would happen again. A mechanic replaced an electrical component and it appeared that the problem was fixed until the incident above. I am the sole driver of the car and the original owner.

- Murrysville, PA, USA

Sep 202014

Escape Hybrid 4WD 4-cyl

I have owned this car since 2006 when I bought it new. After about four years the battery pack blew and had to be replaced. It would have cost $4000 but thankfully I had purchased the extended warranty and it was covered. On Sept. 20, 2014 the car threw a rod and the engine was completely destroyed. The mechanic said it would cost $5000 to fix it with a rebuilt engine but that it wasn't worth it because the engines for these cars are notoriously unreliable and it would probably just fail again. It was recommended that we scrap the car. The entire lifecycle of this vehicle was only 8 years which is absolutely preposterous. Cars should last longer.

- Livermore, CA, USA

Sep 052011

Escape Hybrid

I was accelerating on the freeway, and the engine stalled. I could still steer to the side, but the engine had absolutely no power. Came very close to getting rear-ended. Brought car in for service. They said nothing was wrong with it. Continued to have multiple similar occurrences. Brought it in again. This time they said the battery fan wasn't working, so I paid a lot to have it fixed (about a year ago), however, I still have continued to have the same problem, more often and on many occasions now. It seems to be getting much worse. I dread driving on freeways now, especially up hills. I am bringing my car in for service again later this week. Wonder what line they are going to give me this time.

- Milpitas, CA, USA

Jun 142014

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

My 06' hybrid escape completely shut down, it just gave me a " please pull over now". I almost caused a major accident on I44 at 75mph because of all power loss. When I was on the side of the highway I let it sit for like a minute and then restarted the engine and it drove a good 5 minutes at about 60 mph but as soon as I accelerated above 60 it gave me the sign again, and I had to repeat the process. I drove it home on the access road staying between 30-40 and thank god, it made it home.

- Lincoln, CA, USA

Jul 212014

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

My car hasn't had any other symptoms and was working fine. On 7/21/14 I was driving at 40 for maybe 5 minutes when the "safety alert" light came on and was prompted to pull over safely. I was in three lanes of traffic, going up a large hill and was doing my best to make it over to the shoulder but the car was not accelerating above 20 at this point and was getting slower and slower. I made it over one lane and the car completely stopped and started rolling back a little. The car never turned off though ac, lights, radio, etc stayed on but nothing would happen when I pressed on the gas. I turned the car off for a few minutes and turned it back on and it worked normally for about a minute and then the same thing happened. I got the car towed to the dealership and was quoted around $800 to replace the throttle. Ford has recalled over half million vehicles for similar issues with the throttle, including many escapes.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Jun 112014

Escape Hybrid 3-cyl

We purchased this Ford Escape hybrid in August, 2012, after procuring a pre-sale evaluation at Ford dealer 1, including a full VIN search for any incomplete recalls.the evaluation found nothing incomplete.returning home 6.11.14, on our residential street, the escape without prior warning flashed ¿'stop vehicle safely¿ and simultaneously turned off all power. Research indicated a failed oem mecs coolant pump (tsb 08-24-5), and we had issues getting the correct part from Ford dealer 1 and sourced a dorman part from the local X auto parts store, supplying it to an ase-certified shop for installation (vehicle inoperable/on a lift). Another ¿'stop vehicle safely¿ event occurred 6.24.14 with my family in the vehicle on an expressway entrance ramp, with the escape taken to Ford dealer 2 for evaluation. Ford dealer 2¿'s VIN check found csp 07B48 and tsb 09-18-6, not available previously. Ford dealer 2 made repairs consistent with the csp/tsb on 7.12.14 at our expense. These serious safety implications well-known to Ford (both csp 07B48/tsb 09-18-6 and tsb 08-24-5) were not identified by Ford dealer 1 in our pre-purchase inspection, or by Ford in a prior investigation and repair of the corrosion issues in this escape. We are concerned that known/identified safety issues generating an errant BCM signal disabling the car made this particular escape a ticking time bomb. We could not have been aware of the issues despite our diligence, but Ford had direct access to that information.we were fortunate when/where our failures occurred. For anyone else in a similar escape with the csp 07B48/tsb 09-18-6 and tsb 08-24-5 repairs not already accomplished, the NHTSA should compel a long-overdue recall for the affected vehicles.

- Akron, OH, USA

Jun 052014

Escape Hybrid

While going about 73mph in passing lane-heard "beep" dashboard had red triangle lite up and a message to stop safely now--then car just stopped!! I was in the far left lane--pulled off into median--read manual--started car up and went--on return trip same thing--although now I was always looking for my "exit"--although was panicking going thru tunnel in boston. Ford had recall on this system that ended in 2009--I bought this in 2012. Brought to Ford dealer--they said there was no recall and for a starting fee of $120/hr they could take a look. I called Ford in mi-told too late--too now I have printed out recall and will bring to a different dealer on Monday. Saw that this is an ongoing safety issue that Ford will not take ownership of.

- Duxbury, MA, USA

Jun 172014

Escape Hybrid

We were driving East on I-26 in South Carolina at 65 mph in 3 lanes of traffic when the triangle hazard warning light on the dash sounded and lit up saying "pull over safely now". at the same time, with the gas peddle floored, the speed of the car was slowing by the second! the gas peddle did not work. We were able to pull over and turn the car off without getting hit by oncoming traffic. Per the manual, we waited awhile and restarted the car, and were able to get it home. I called the Ford customer care line to ask if it was safe to drive the car and would this happen again. They were not helpful at all. They basically told me to take it to a dealership. Our local dealership said they knew nothing about the issue I described, but diagnosed the problem as being an mecs pump failure for $135. The replacement cost would be $800. Due to the high cost quote and knowing that it only takes 45 minutes or less to change this pump, we took it elsewhere. The part is $277. Our concern is that how could Ford dealers not know about this dangerous defect, when in 3 seconds you can pull up hundreds of websites covering this failure, and the dangerous and potentially fatal accident it could cause. Now I have found this us dot website which has hundreds of complaints on this issue also, I am hoping more people will come forward to get these cars off the road.

- Johns Island, SC, USA

May 142014

Escape Hybrid 4WD 4-cyl

2006 Ford Escape hybrid. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle "can shut off without warning" incident. The consumer stated a warning light in the shape of a wrench appeared on the dashboard. The vehicle was flat-bedded to the dealer. It was determined, the throttle body needed to be replaced.

- Haledon, NJ, USA

May 142014

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

Error code is "stop safely now". I was driving, and all in the sudden - an error message came up on dash display "stop safely now". immediately, the car was totally shut down right after, lost the ability to stop, and I have no controls of any thing. I was lucky that I'm in a middle of a parking lot. I almost got hit with the car drove right behind me. What if this incident occurs on a freeway at a high speed. My car is fully well maintenance with such low miles for 2006.

- Los Altos, CA, USA

May 092014

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

Car went from a high speed 60km to no acceleration in the middle of traffic. The engine was still running but the car would not accelerate. The error code indicate a throttle body issue.

- Ajax, NY, USA

May 082014

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

Time of day: 1800, temperature about 80F. "stop safely now" message appeared on console. Vehicle slowed down while traveling at 65mph on an interstate highway during a heavy rush hour traffic. Fortunately, I was traveling on the left lane and safely moved to the left curb and within seconds the engine died. I kept trying to start but no success. While on the phone with the insurance company for a tow truck, I tried again, and the engine restarted. I was able to continue driving home for about 25 minutes, approximately 15 miles. While approaching a traffic light, the "stop safely now" message appeared and this time the car died in the middle of the street. This time, it died within 3 seconds after the message appeared. It was a major safety hazard when other cars were approaching and with very little room to stop and react. This was in a 35 mph residential zone. I had to call a local police department to assist managing the traffic. After about 15 minutes, I was able to start the car again and continued the last 2 blocks to my resident. This is a serious safety issue that could have resulted in multi cars accident had I not had the opportunity to drive to the curb before it stopped.

- Westlake, OH, USA