2.0

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid:

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jul 122016

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

One morning, no prior warning, or issues with brakes or mechanical systems what so ever, I start to drive to work and after turning out of my neighborhood onto a major street my brake lights light up and at the next stop sign my brakes don't work! I pressed all the way down and ended up using the emergency brake not to go through the stop sign. Someone could have died for sure, and it was a heart stopping scare! I pulled over and walked back home. Looked up online and found many complaints about this vehicles brakes suddenly going out and that it is a $5K fix!! I had the escape towed back to my house. The next morning I wanted to try a few things to eliminate certain problems I found online. Now, the keyless entry doesn't work, I manually open the door, stick the key in, no lights, no sound, nothing. I turn the key and again absolutely nothing. We hook up cables and it starts right away and everything works. No brake warning lights so I try a slow drive in the neighborhood, brake lights go on after about 1/2 a mile and the brakes are very soft, have to depress to the floor just to slow down from 15 mph. I called Ford and they said just bring it in for diagnosis, for $200/hr minimum 2 hours just to tell me what's wrong with it!! no thank you, $400 to tell me it's a $5K problem when the car's worth maybe $6K private party! so I now have a worthless hybrid sitting in my driveway. Do not buy a 2008 Ford Escape hybrid!!! read all the complaints major safety issue - Ford has not recalled!!

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Jan 012016

Escape Hybrid

The vehicle failed to start after the key was inserted into the ignition switch. The key has to be forced in and cranked over with considerable torque.

- Hasbrouck Heights, NJ, USA

May 152016

Escape Hybrid

Car wont start, the (stop slowly now) appears on dash screen. It attempts to start then it is killed, then the stop slowly now warning comes up..it has done that while we are driving to. We have replaces hybrid cooling pump we were told that is the problem. Fixed it now it is worst

- Lahaina, HI, USA

Jan 132016

Escape Hybrid

Issue started intermittently and has increased in frequency of failure. The problem we are having is with starting the car. The key is inserted and turned, the dash indicators turn on but the engine does not start. Multiple attempts are needed to start engine. We brought the vehicle in to the dealership and they could not duplicate issue. The issue is occurring at a rate of 9 out of 10 attempts and is currently an issue with the car.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Feb 252016

Escape Hybrid

After approx. 10 minutes of stop and go driving at <5mph a tone sounded, a red triangle lit, and the led indicated "stop safely now." The engine did not stall, shut down, or give any other indication of a fault, therefore I continued driving at <15mph to the nearest parking lot and turned off the engine. After I returned several hours later the engine started normally with no fault indication, and I was able to drive home without any further fault indication. I read on the web that this had occurred with other 2008 Escape hybrids and was due to a faulty hybrid system electronics cooling pump. One complainant indicated that the 2008 Escape hybrids had been recalled for this issue, but the recall does not show on your, or on Ford's, database for this vehicle. Has this been reported previously, and was there a recall?

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Jul 042015

Escape Hybrid

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape hybrid. When the key was placed in the ignition, the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was taken to the dealer to be diagnosed. The contact was informed that the ignition switch needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired by an independent mechanic; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 154,000.

- Felton, DE, USA

Nov 232015

Escape Hybrid

In 2012, I was driving on freeway at approx 70mph when I heard the warning sound and red light warning me to "stop safely now." I had to cross four lanes of traffic and barely got to the shoulder before the power shut down completely. I waited and it restarted, but it did it two more times before I reached my destination. I called and took my vehicle for repair, which was determined to be the coolant pump (cost $1010.96). The next year a recall for this issue occurred and I was refunded the cost for repair. Today, 2015, the same issue occurred. This time I had just pulled off from a traffic light making a U-turn, so traveling maybe 10 mph when I got the same sound and warning red light as I felt the engine losing power. I got through the busy intersection and safely to the shoulder. I immediately drove the vehicle to the dealership. This time I was told the issue was the throttle body. It was cleaned and reprogrammed (cost $369.15; I was told my vehicle is not in the VIN# group). While the costs have been high financially, we are mostly concerned about the potential costs from having the vehicle suddenly lose power and shut down. Both times I have been very lucky to avoid crashes. Same symptoms, different diagnoses; concerned about what might happen next.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Aug 012014

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

Over time my vehicle has gotten harder and harder to start. Now I have to press the keys in turn to have the vehicle start. After some research I found several users have the same exact problem. (https://youtu.be/bv8tdcf83vc) it appears to be an issue with plastic clips used to hold the ignition switch in place. The mechanic in the video states that it's the rod that engages the switch, it becomes loose and requires you to push the key in to start the vehicle. This is poor design by Ford and places the onus on the customer to fix it.

- Apopka, FL, USA

Mar 122013

Escape Hybrid

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape hybrid. The contact stated that while operating the vehicle in very hot weather, the battery would overheat and a message to proceed with caution would display before the vehicle would completely shut off. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that they battery pump was faulty and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired because the code identifying the failure was not available from the computer. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Cottonwood , AZ, USA

Mar 082013

Escape Hybrid 4WD 4-cyl

I was driving down the highway and the vehicle abruptly lost power, a triangle with an exclamation point came on in the dashboard and the data system said "stop safely now". this happened multiple times during the same drive. The dealership replaced the mec pump. About one year later the same issue began occurring multiples times per day until I was able to get it to a dealership. They replaced the throttle body, the issue occurred again. They replaced the transmission, the issue occurred again. It is now at the Ford dealership getting diagnosed yet again. This is a very serious safety issue and must be resolved.

- Avondale, PA, USA

Sep 302014

Escape Hybrid

Engine died multiple times in a parking lot. Car had been idling and had recently been driven over thirty miles on the highway and the ambient temperature was over 90 deg F. had the car towed home because the dealer service dept was closed. The next day the dealer was unable to reproduce the problem and no dtc found in ECM. Paid the dealer for diagnostic time and picked up up the car. One week later, the car died again while driving at about 10-20 mph. Dashboard display said to pull over and park safely. After waiting for 30 minutes for the engine to cool, we were able to drive the three miles home. The next day at the dealer, no dtc found in the ECM, but the dealer said that the symptoms pointed to a throttle body problem. They were unable to recalibrate the throttle body, so they asked us to approve paying for a throttle body cleaning, which we did. This seems to indicate that the hybrid system directs the engine to shut off whenever it detects a sensor problem that it can not resolve. Most cars would produce a cel illuminated on the dash and set a limp home mode. The Escape hybrid seems to just shut off and let you hope for the best. This may seem like an irrational response to a modest problem, but these were the same things that happened before when the problem was diagnosed as a pump problem for the electronics, which is now a safety recall for 2005-2008 Escape hybrids. To compound the problem, the dealer did not offer to refund our previous payment for the pump replacement. I had to ask for it and am now waiting for them to give me a refund, even though the Ford website clearly states that they should expedite refunds for prior work done once a recall is started. Unhappy on multiple levels.

- Soquel, CA, USA

Aug 012012

Escape Hybrid

The electronic coolant pump is known problem and Ford is finally supposed to be fixing this through a recall October 2014. (www.greencarreports.com/news/1094407_2005-2008-Ford-escape-hybrid-recalled-also-Mercury-mariner-hybrids). driving in New Mexico on a family vacation, the car suddenly says to stop safely now warning comes up. Mind you that we are in the middle of no where and it's over one hundred degrees with two small children in the car. Somehow, we barely make it into las cruces, nm about an hour later. So, after waiting a few hours they tell us that their hybrid tech isn't there and is on vacation. Really" it took a few hours to figure out that he wasn't there" anyway, they suggested to try and continue on to phoenix, AZ where they would know what to do. So, we try heading out, but the car goes out again as soon as we get on the freeway. So, we do the pull over and restart thing about twenty times until we make it back to the las cruces dealership. We had to stay in las cruces for a week, costing us thousands of dollars in what we now call the adventure of a lifetime. This has recently happened again with our escape, and they want to charge us again to fix this. Ford needs to get it's act together, or I will not be purchasing from them again.

- Pasadena, CA, USA

Sep 052014

Escape Hybrid 4WD 4-cyl

Currently Ford has a recall (14S19). The coolant pump may malfunction, which can cause the hybrid electronics systems to overheat and possibly lead to more serious problems. "when the hybrid electronics system gets too hot it will shut down the powertrain, resulting in a stall-like condition, increasing the risk of a crash, " according to Ford's filing with NHTSA. My vehicle has this problem. It has happened several times, and I have already notified this Agency. Once again, on September 5, 2014, I was driving in Maryland, near DC, in rush hour traffic, and I lost all power. It is really horrible losing all power when you are in the left most lane (no left shoulder), and lose all power. Several cars almost hit us...again. I don't care if my hybrid system is overheating. I would rather destroy the batteries than all of a sudden losing all power in DC rush hour.

- Richmondville, NY, USA

Jun 172014

Escape Hybrid 4WD 4-cyl

At approximately 8:00 am on the above date, I was traveling North on interstate 75 from cincinnati toward toledo at around 70 mph. Without any warning whatsoever, the vehicle completely shut down and the computer advised I should pull off immediately to safety. When the escape came to a stop, I turned the key off and then was able to restart the engine. After traveling less than two miles, the same thing happened. This time I was able to limp off an exit ramp to a side street where the vehicle seemed to be able to run a bit longer before cutting off however, the engine dying happened at least another half dozen times before I was able to make it to an enterprise rental car location North of dayton. From there, I stopped by the nearest Ford dealership (beau townsend Ford) and they were able to retrieve the vehicle from the enterprise parking lot. The dealership was not able to look at the vehicle until several days later on 6/19/14 however, at that time they diagnosed the problem as a defective / shorted-out motor electric cooling system pump. The part was ordered and replaced the following day however, including towing and the necessity of renting a vehicles (I was on a business trip), the incident ended up costing me close to $1,000. From what I understand, Ford was aware of this defective part at the time of manufacturing and did nothing to prevent it from being installed on tens of thousands of vehicles. There are hundreds of complaints on file regarding this part as well as a class action law suit which was filed in the state of California. Let's hope that Ford finally steps up to the plate and admits their grave error in judgment before somebody gets killed because of this faulty part. Those of us who have had to incur expenses due to the malfunction should be full reimbursed by Ford.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jun 082014

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

As we were driving, a "hazard" light come on the dash, the engine shut completely off, and a message, "stop car safely, " also appeared on the dash. We did so, and turned off the car and turned it back on. Car drove fine for about 5 minutes and the same thing happened. We did this for about an hour or so to get home. Had we been on a busy interstate. A sudden engine shut off could have been very dangerous. We took the car to the dealership and were informed that the electric battery had overheated because the water pump was not working. I have come across similar complaints while looking into my situation. Some examples: repairpal.com/coolant-pump-on-hybrid-may-fail-and-cause-celengine-shutdown-562.

- Marietta, OH, USA

May 302014

Escape Hybrid

The electric cooling pump fails causing the motor to shut down. This is a known problem by Ford and there is a service bulletin on this problem. Ford need to recall this item.

- Livermore, CA, USA

Nov 272013

Escape Hybrid

Electrical system in my Ford Escape hybrid 2008 shut down while driving at high speed (indicator with a triangle shape and an admiration sign inside). The "stop safely now" sign was displayed at the same time. I could not accelerate anymore, thus losing full control of the car. I pulled over to the shoulder, turned the engine off and turned engine back on. Once I turn the car off, it will drive and then repeat. Initially it only happened on the freeway but now it happens while driving at regular speeds (25mph). The first dealer I took it to told me to replace the engine coolant pump, I did still the same problem; I took it to another Ford dealer who said I needed to replace the filter to the coolant pump, I did still the same problem. Today I was told that the throttle body was bad so I replaced this, still the same problem!!!! this is a very dangerous situation with nosolution. Ford, please recall the models impacted and fix this issue as soon as possible before people get killed.

- Cleveland Heights, OH, USA

May 092014

Escape Hybrid

For the last month or so, my car has randomly stalled, in the middle of driving. The "pull over safely" light would light up, and the entire car would shut down. I took it to the dealer, and they said that I need to replace my electronic throttle because it is shutting down. After researching, I have discovered this is a common problem and I would like to urge Ford to recall the part and accept responsibility for selling defective cars.

- Houston, TX, USA

Feb 022014

Escape Hybrid

Several times since buying my car in Nov 2013 my steering wheel has locked up on me so that it is extremely difficult to turn the wheel, typically when turning a corner, almost causing accidents. I have been very lucky that there were no other vehicles around since I was unable to pull completely over in one case and I was unable to complete the turn in my own lane in another. I am very worried that this will happen in traffic and myself and others could be injured or even killed. And neither Ford or warranty company is willing to repair/replace.

- Escalon, CA, USA

Mar 082014

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

Multiple incidents of the vehicle shutting down occurred on 3/8/2014 beginning while travelling along a 2-lane highway (ca-74 around idyllwild area) at approximately 10:30 P.M. vehicle displayed red triangle icon with exclamation point inside the triangle and words in red "stop safely now", at which point power to the engine was disabled although power steering appeared to still be active. I then pulled over at a turn-out (luckily one was nearby since I was going uphill and losing speed quickly). I proceeded to turn the ignition to the off position and within minutes re-started without further incident until approximately midnight at which point I was travelling along a major freeway in san diego I-15 southbound at a speed of 65-70 mph. At this point the vehicle became disabled after displaying the red icon and words described above. This happened again 4 separate times. These 4 incidents occurred within a 6 mile stretch of each other and within a 20 minute window. There was no other indication that anything was wrong with the vehicle - no system notice of overheating, faulty electrical, etc.

- La Mesa, CA, USA