2008 Ford Escape Hybrid steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid:

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

Feb 022012

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

Vehicle gave "stop safely now" readout on display and red triangle light on dash. Power dropped off and I had to pull of the road. I was traveling from la to santa cruz in the evening. Happened four more times on the same drive. Just happened again coming back from palm springs also in the evening. Took me seven hours to drive 140 miles. Car stopped over twenty times.

- Venice, CA, USA

Jan 302012

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

I started the vehicle to leave my office at the end of the day and noticed a tugging sensation at the steering wheel. On the freeway, it seemed fine, but when I slowed to a stop I could feel it again. The next day, the power steering completely failed. It was like driving a tank. There were no warning lights on the dash display. My Ford dealer replaced the electronic steering column at a cost of $1,374.40. The vehicle was no longer under warranty due to the mileage, but is only 4 years old.

- Pacoima, CA, USA

Jan 112012

Escape Hybrid 4WD 4-cyl

While driving normally at 40 mph on a straight good road the steering wheel began kicking right to left abruptly. Almost like a big right left vibration. This lasted for several minutes before the power steering completely failed and made the steering difficult to control. I pulled to the side of road. Turned off the car and restart and took it immediately to the Ford dealer. Dealer said the electric power steering units were back order 5 - 8 weeks because many failures. This is a safety issue and people could die with the power steering failures. Please recall them before somebody's dies.

- Ivins, UT, USA

Dec 012011

Escape Hybrid

I was driving and gave a friend a ride. I waited in the car with the car still on while she got her things. When she hopped on I accelerated and when I tried to make a turn the steering wheel was so hard. I couldn't turn it. I pulled over and turned it off. When I started the car, it was back to normal another day I went to the drive through. Same thing happened. I tried to turn after and couldn't. I had to turn he car off and then back on. I went to the dealer. They said that on their bulletin there is a msg that the steering wheel column must be replaced. They said it would be about $1300 for me to replace. I do not understand why I would have to pay. There are other blogs with the same problem.

- Daly City, CA, USA

Oct 292011

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

Problems with power steering motor suddenly shutting down on the hybrid vehicle. The problem occurs at vehicle turned on up to moderate vehicle speeds. When the problem first occurred, it confused the driver, as the power steering would experience sudden loss during when the vehicle is in electric mode (0-30mph). The sudden loss of power steering puts the driver is at risk of losing control of the vehicle, and accident. Complaints to the mechanic about the steering problem are difficult. With the motor off in electric mode, and sudden loss of power steering, the driver is led to believe that motor is at fault, and will complain to the mechanic in such way. Picture the vehicle completely shut down with no power steering. Your led to believe that vehicle motor is malfunctioning. This is not the case with the hybrid, as the vehicle is not actually shut down, it's in electric mode. No indicators are present within vehicle computer system to indicate that the problem is with power steering. Service department indicates that there is an electronic power steering motor problem, causing a binding issue with the column. Two service departments report that this is a unique issue. Several forums online are indicating that this issue is not unique, and rather common. Service department andy gates (Ford, victorville, ca) reports that the vehicle is not safe to drive in it's current state. The report from service department victorville, ca indicates that the steering column was designed with safety flaws, and Ford is having difficulty diagnosing the problem early on.

- Las Cruces, NM, USA

May 022011

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

The ABS light and the brake light came on when I turned on the car. The brakes felt different.

- San Ramon, CA, USA

Aug 012009

Escape Hybrid

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape hybrid. The contact was driving approximately 70 mph when the steering locked abnormally and he was unable to control the vehicle due to a disability. The contact would allow the vehicle to coast off road before attempting to restart. The vehicle was inspected by the dealer three times and they repaired the entire electric steering assembly each time. The failure would recur within three years. The manufacturer was contacted and they advised the contact to trade the vehicle. No further assistance was provided. The failure mileage was approximately 26,000.

- Fort Mohabe, AZ, USA

Dec 232010

Escape Hybrid

While driving at about 50 miles per hour on a two lane undivided highway, I tried to turn the steering wheel to the right to follow a curve but the steering wheel would not turn. The steering wheel felt locked, as I was drifting over the center line into the oncoming traffic lane, I quickly hit the brake to slow the car, and proper steering resumed. Even the short term loss of steering can and will result in an accident, injury, or death. A safety recall needs to be considered on these vehicles with electric power steering.

- Ranchita, CA, USA

Nov 182010

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

I have a 2008 Ford Escape hybrid. While driving downhill and while braking, power steering seemed to fail completely for 3-5 seconds. Steering did not lock completely, it seemed, but it took real strength to move it as I was going around a gentle curve. I'm not sure my wife could have done same. Potentially very dangerous. Car is with dealership now.

- Santa Monica, CA, USA

Jan 082010

Escape Hybrid

Steering wheel locked at 12,000 miles and a third time at 35,000 (once in between) for a total of three times. Tire wear very odd, touchy braking.

- Healdsburg, CA, USA

May 222010

Escape Hybrid

I have a 2008 Ford Escape hybrid. While turning I have lost steering, the steering wheel becomes difficult to turn and the vehicle did not turn, it lasts approx 5 seconds and then works again, this has happened two times in 4 days and once almost causing me to crash into another vehicle. I took escape to Ford dealership where I was told they could not do anything because they can not find the problem. They said they tried to recreate it and were unable to do so (they only drove my escape 2 miles the entire 2 days they had it). I have noticed, always while driving straight, that sometimes when the engine switches from gas to electric there is sometimes a sudden difference in steering wheel tension, almost like the power steering turns off for a few seconds.

- Columbia, TN, USA

Mar 102010

Escape Hybrid

While slowing down to make a turn onto another street, the steering wheel 'locked' and would not turn. I jammed on the brakes to stop before hitting the vehicle that was waiting to pull out. I pulled hard on the steering wheel and it finally moved. After that, it went back to normal operation. This is a very dangerous situation. It has not done it since, but makes me nervous when driving it. I have not contacted the Ford dealer yet.

- Leitchfield, KY, USA

Jan 152010

Escape Hybrid

Lost complete steering control twice while driving.

- Cabot, AR, USA

Feb 182010

Escape Hybrid

While return home on I70 freeway going downhill at approx. 70mph the electrical assisted power steering quit working. The vehicle was very hard, but not impossible, to steer going around a curve. This only lasted a few seconds then it started working again...

- Aurora , CO, USA