1.3

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid:

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Nov 072016

Escape Hybrid

When I would turn occasionally the wheel would lock up but after a few seconds I would regain power. I parked it at school and approximately 7 hours later I returned and started it. As I was backing out the steering only worked for about 2 seconds and locked up except this time it did not correct itself. I tried turning it off and on again but it was not fixing it. I had to have it towed. There is a recall on other '08 Ford Escape hybrids but not mine. All for the same problem too.

- Paragould, AR, USA

Oct 152014

Escape Hybrid

In August 2014 with 99K miles vehicle was taken to dealership for regular scheduled maintenance. The vehicle had not experienced any steering problems however, during maintenance dealership installed software updates to pscm and ic modules per NHTSA recall 14-V284000. Within a few months the vehicle began intermittently losing the power steering during lower speed turning, the exact thing the recall was supposed to fix. In August 2015 at the next regular service appt I informed dealership of the problem and copies of on-line research that showed it as an ongoing problem related to the recall. I was told that they had done the recall "fixes" and could not specifically identify the problem but if I wanted the steering column replaced they would do it, for several thousand dollars, of which I declined. I have had many close calls when without warning the steering becomes almost locked up but have been able to so far muscle it around the turns.

- Anchorage, AK, USA

Jul 102016

Escape Hybrid

The safety recall notices 14S05 / NHTSA recall 14V-286 and 14S09 / NHTSA 14V526000 were performed on my 2008 Ford Escape hybrid. However, the problems did not go away. Since the recalls, the car has had issues with reduced steering range, key/ignition not turning, power surge while driving, locking steering wheel, and the worst: A complete shut down of the powertrain while driving, resulting in a stall-like condition, putting our lives at risk. On June 11, 2016 the car was serviced and steering housing replaced. We asked for service to check the entire car-- everything!!!!-- as the car had been acting strangely with power surges and locking steering wheel while driving. Today, July 10 2016, while driving South on interstate-5 in ca, heading from home (danville, ca) to college (san diego, ca) the car's system completely failed while driving up the grapevine, a section of freeway that is extremely crowded and full of large 18 wheelers. My poor daughter (who now owns the car) called me, screaming hysterically, full of terror and fearing for her life. She had no power, was unable to steer, did her best the Dodge the 18 wheelers and "limp mode" over to the side of the freeway. She's now on the way with tow truck driver to drop the car off at Ford of valencia ca. I told her do not ever drive that car again. It is a seriously dangerous vehicle.

- Danville, CA, USA

Jan 152016

Escape Hybrid

Steering became very difficult to control while driving in March, 2016. Had tires/alignment checked out all good. When it started vibrating while stopped in may, 2016, I took it to dealer and was told it was a recall which was already done in January, 2016, and the recall is closed now, so I have to pay for it.

- Modesto, CA, USA

May 232016

Escape Hybrid

Back in April, 2016 I noticed the car started vibrating more and more as I drove down the freeway. I had to drive slow to be able to control it safely. I had the wheels checked, my alignment was good, and nothing wrong from there. The tire guy couldn't find anything wrong. Then the steering wheel started vibrated intensely while I was at a stop! after taking it to the Ford dealer, it was determined that a steering wheel recall that was done on my vehicle less than six months ago to prevent this ended up happening anyway. Ford recall will not pay for this becvause "the recall is closed."

- Modesto, CA, USA

Apr 042016

Escape Hybrid

I had recall for electric power steering completed in December 2015, and then in January 2016 my steering wheel started vibrating/locking. In April power steering went completely out. I took vehicle in and asked if power steering was related to the recall and he said no it was a separate sensor that was causing the power steering to go out. So, I gave permission for the work to be completed. Then, I started researching and found this has been happening to many people. I had my boyfriend call back as he knows more about cars than I do and he was told again that a sensor not related to recall that was performed was causing P.S to go out that was unrelated to the recall. We go to pick up the car and pay for it and when we are going over our paperwork in the car we find that the work they did was replace the torque sensor which is part of the recall. I called the overall service manager and spoke to him. I asked him if I wouldn't have brought it in December when I was experiencing no issues and would have waited until April when my power steering went out would the code (P2278) be covered under the recall and he said yes, that I would not have to pay for the work. That code would cause them to replace the torque sensor free of charge. So I asked him if he was suggesting that people wait until they are driving down the road and the power steering goes out so that the work will actually be covered" he said no of course not, but what other option is there? you take it in when there are no issues they update software, and then when you start having issues with torque sensor or steering column you are responsible for the bill. What option are people going to take" obviously, they are not going to want to pay a 675 dollar repair bill on something that should have been covered by a recall so they will drive until power steering goes out which is not safe.

- West Linn, OR, USA

Mar 092016

Escape Hybrid

The recall issued in may, 2014 for the power steering assist fault did not fix the problem. The sensor failed again, and the remedy by Ford literature to the dealership was erroneous and overly costly to me. The service department detected a fault code, B2278, and the remedy listed three repairs in sequence to fix. The first was the software update proscribed in the recall bulletin. That procedure had been completed by a dealer previously. The second in the sequence was to replace the sensor. Dealer followed this and the fix failed, causing replacement of the steering column, costing an additional $1200 on top of the $500+ for the first failed fix. Attached receipt for entire repair of a recall that didn't get fixed the first time.

- Crystal Lake, IL, USA

Mar 032016

Escape Hybrid

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape hybrid. After starting the vehicle, a power steering failure message displayed and the steering wheel began to vibrate at speeds less than 35 mph. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering torque angle sensor needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The contact was informed that the vehicle was previously repaired under a recall for the same failure. The VIN and NHTSA campaign number were unknown. The failure mileage was 120,900. Updated 04/14/16

- Green Valley, AZ, USA

Feb 122016

Escape Hybrid

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape hybrid. While driving approximately 25 mph, the steering lost power for a few seconds and then returned to normal. The failure recurred two days later, while the contact's daughter was in reverse. The steering lost power completely without warning. The vehicle was towed to a local mechanic who previously repaired the vehicle according to NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering). The dealer stated that the recall repair was already performed and the contact would be responsible for the repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and referred the contact to the local dealer. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 98,000.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Feb 052016

Escape Hybrid

Before the torque sensor recall, my power steering went out intermittently sometimes accompanied by the stop safely now red triangle. Upon being notified of the recall I took the vehicle to jack safro Ford in oconomowoc, Wisconsin to complete the recall. I was told my vehicle required the easier fix and the dealer didn't replace the torque sensor. Within a few months my power steering started going out intermittently again. It started going out more often and I also noticed that the car would not start first try. Usually I had to turn the ignition 3-4 times to get the vehicle to start. In the past month my power steering is now completely out. It is a very dangerous situation as if a car went over the center line or a deer or animal were to go in front of me I would not be able to react quickly without power steering. Also, it is so hard to pull into parking spaces and turn the wheel that I have to see a doctor because I am having sharp pain in my shoulders. We took the car to jack safro this week and they told us they would talk to Ford. All they did was try to reset computer and the steering is still completely out. They said Ford would not cover it and gave us the 800 number to complain. So now I am stuck with an unsafe car and I have a grandson I need to Transport some days. Why in the world can't the dealer replace the torque sensor if that was the recall and what is needed to repair my car" why does it have to issue certain codes? can't the dealer see for themselves there is no power steering due to the fact that they never did the proper vehicle recall repair" I am baffled! our son just purchased a Ford truck and my husband also owns one so we have 3 Ford in our driveway!

- Oconomowoc, WI, USA

Jan 192016

Escape Hybrid

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape hybrid. The contact stated that the vehicle was serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering) but the remedy failed to repair the vehicle. The contact stated that the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. In addition, the contact mentioned that the vehicle did not experience any failure prior to the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 89,000.

- Elkridge, MD, USA

Jan 252016

Escape Hybrid

Received recall notice for steering issue. No issues with steering prior to recall. Software update performed. 4 months no issues. Then steering wheel began moderate shaking upon start, driving and idling. Several days later 'power steering assist fault' appeared in message center. Shaking continued but no immediate loss of power. Two days following on the heels of major snowstorm, all power steering lost. Contacted Ford directly, they instructed me to schedule service appointment. They claimed that codes can back as torque sensor and nothing to do with power steering issue.

- Elkridge, MD, USA

Dec 302015

Escape Hybrid

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape hybrid. While driving at various speeds, the steering wheel began to shake violently and an abnormal noise was heard. The power steering assist fault light illuminated. The failure occurred randomly. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the torque sensor failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 140,000.

- Santa Monica, CA, USA

Jan 132016

Escape Hybrid

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape hybrid. While driving approximately 25 mph, the power steering seized without warning. The failure recurred numerous times. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering), but the remedy failed to repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN and failure mileage were unknown. Updated 04/08/16

- Union City, CA, USA

Jan 062016

Escape Hybrid

2008 Ford Escape hybrid. Well maintained, always taken in for any and all repairs/maint/recalls. Recall # 14S05 was attended to in 2015, by way of reprogramming. After this "repair", we complained of loss of steering radius, was told that was not possible and that it was fine. Fast forward to January of this year, wrench light comes on, no power steering at all. Our dealership says it is the same item as recall and should be fixed by Ford Corp. Ford Corp said no, since its 7 years old. The law says 10 years from recall or purchase.. because they reprogrammed it, they may not be responsible for any thing else that goes wrong, even if it is the same issue. A known issue. Very unsafe, and not something the consumer can damage on their own. This will cost us between 500 to 2,500 dollars to repair. Seems that a known problem should be covered for more than a year out from the recall. It failed six months after the recall was closed, which was only open for a year. The loss of ability to steer was tremendous. Almost impossible. Not safe to drive, as the effort required steer would prevent the ability to avoid a situation completely. My vehicle is useless at this time. The open investigation DP15001, shows what a true problem this is. Very dangerous. Many people are having this failure while actively driving. It would appear that Ford needs to re address this issue. My vehicle repair light came on while driving. The failure occurred after I had parked and turned it off. Once I restarted the vehicle, I had lost all power steering. I was 60 miles from home, so I was forced to drive it in that condition.

- La Plata, MD, USA

Nov 232015

Escape Hybrid

In 2012, I was driving on freeway at approx 70mph when I heard the warning sound and red light warning me to "stop safely now." I had to cross four lanes of traffic and barely got to the shoulder before the power shut down completely. I waited and it restarted, but it did it two more times before I reached my destination. I called and took my vehicle for repair, which was determined to be the coolant pump (cost $1010.96). The next year a recall for this issue occurred and I was refunded the cost for repair. Today, 2015, the same issue occurred. This time I had just pulled off from a traffic light making a U-turn, so traveling maybe 10 mph when I got the same sound and warning red light as I felt the engine losing power. I got through the busy intersection and safely to the shoulder. I immediately drove the vehicle to the dealership. This time I was told the issue was the throttle body. It was cleaned and reprogrammed (cost $369.15; I was told my vehicle is not in the VIN# group). While the costs have been high financially, we are mostly concerned about the potential costs from having the vehicle suddenly lose power and shut down. Both times I have been very lucky to avoid crashes. Same symptoms, different diagnoses; concerned about what might happen next.

- Orlando, FL, USA

May 152015

Escape Hybrid

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape hybrid. While driving at various speeds, the steering wheel shook without warning. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact stated that the brake pedal was depressed and the ABS warning indicator illuminated intermittently. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where it was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failures. The failure mileage was approximately 134,000.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Sep 102014

Escape Hybrid

Immediately after Ford dealer performed steering recall, the vehicle has no power assist at low speed tight turns( I.e. parking lot, U turns). I've returned it to another Ford dealer with no resolution to the problem.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Sep 012015

Escape Hybrid

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape hybrid. While driving at approximately 55 mph approaching an exit ramp, the steering became tight and began to fail. The power steering returned to normal after the vehicle was turned off and restarted. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Oakland , NJ, USA

Jun 102015

Escape Hybrid

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape hybrid. While driving approximately 10 mph and attempting to make a left turn, the power steering seized without warning. The contact received a notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering). The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000.

- Los Angelos , CA, USA