3.4

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac:

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Owner Comments

Jul 152016

Explorer Sport Trac

Takata recall, the inside lightsor dome lights, they shorted out one to another in the double over head lights and grounded out the battery could cause several problems one it killed the battery and I found out when I went to change one of the lights and to stop I took both lights out and seperated the copper that conects with switch

- Galatia, IL, USA

Jul 012015

Explorer Sport Trac

I have had 3 tire blow outs in the short time I have had this truck due to the tires rubbing on a part of the steering when making turns. Its rubs off the material of the tire.....also the rear passanger door can not be opened from the inside and bearly opens from the outside. I have a young child making this extremely dangerous. Your site wants me to enter a date... I can't recall all three dates

- Surprise, AZ, USA

Mar 112011

Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 6-cyl

Back doors of my 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac FX4 4X4 do not open from inside or outside. The child safely locks are not on. We just bought this truck used, we noticed the door did not open at the dealers, they said it would be fixed. Upon picking up the truck we were told it was because the child safely lock was on. This is not true because the child safety locks do not keep you from opening the door from the outside. They did something that aloud the door to open for about 30 mins, we got home and the same thing happen. This is not safe, we could not get my 4 year old daughter out of the truck. God for bid if the truck ever was on fire we could not get to her.

- West Warwick, RI, USA

Nov 012001

Explorer Sport Trac 6-cyl

Beginning roughly one year after purchase (10/2000) I have detected at times a strong oily vapor odor within the passenger compartment of the vehicle. The odor impregnates my clothing and exposed skin and has caused minor (at this time, at least) respiratory problems. I am forced on these occasions, weather permitting, to ride with my windows down to lessen the effect. The occurrence is intermittent and I haven't been able to pinpoint causing factors. The dealership has failed to solve the problem (4 visits), suggesting that it's just the air being brought into the ventilation system.

- Dallas, TX, USA