4.5

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac clutch problems

clutch problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac:

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Owner Comments

Dec 252004

Explorer Sport Trac 6-cyl

Clutch pressure plate blew out the entire clutch, transmission and deployed the airbags. The truck has less then 25,000 miles and at the time was less then 2 years old. I was informed that this normally happens in race cars and that I was lucky it did not blow up thru the floor board causing injury. I was informed by the Ford service center in anchorage that due to the bluing of the metal (which indicates overheating) that is normal wear and tear. I am still in the process of trying to get them to honor the warranty. I have been given a rough estimate of $4000 to $5000 for parts and labor. I was informed by Ford that I needed to contact my insurance carrier after they originally said that since it was the clutch pressure plate that it would be covered by my esp warranty plan.

- Kotzbue, AK, USA