8.4

$1,857.00

1. new transmission (9 reports)
  3. transmission overhaul (5 reports)
2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac:

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 042014

Explorer Sport Trac LX 4.0L

I purchased my 2002 Ford Sport trac which I thought I would really love but.... four months into having it, I've had to replace the brakes completely, and the rear seals.. and now my transmission is slipping and not working properly!! What the heck??? I'm so disappointed with this truck. I looked around for a good while deciding on getting one and finally did, not I'm second guessing myself... I would love to have it fixed but my husband was just placed on medical leave and not sure how long. I need my vehicle, a dependable one, so I can continue to work..

Please help with this problem

thanks

Cheryl C

- , Catawba, NC, USA

Jul 172014

Explorer Sport Trac 4.0L V6

Are you kidding me? 160kms or just over 102000 miles and the O/D off light starts blinking. I'm taking the truck over to the mechanic ASAP after reading just how much of a problem this has been. It happened last night on the drive home from a coffee stop. I was still getting up to speed when the light started blinking. I pulled over, and turned the truck off and waited a bit. I turned it back on and the light went off. I noticed in the last day or so that the truck has been rougher, but assumed it was just the road. This is a bad joke: These transmission problems should not be happening at such low mileage and yet no manufacture recall? Please if you have had this CALL FORD and complain right away!

- , Hamilton, Ontario, canada

Feb 182014

Explorer Sport Trac V6

I'm away at college and I'm stuck. No way to get around. I'm stranded-scared to drive. I liked my vehicle before but I have lost confidence in it. Help !!!!

Update from Feb 27, 2014: My truck is great I've been driving it for about 5 years now and I've never had a problem until a couple days ago. One night I was on my way home from work and I noticed my o/d light started to blink. This was the first time it had ever done that so I just turned the car off and restarted it thinking maybe I accidentally press the overdrive button well it stop blinking. The next day I went to pull off from being at a red light and my car started to rev up. Which scared me I barely had my foot on the gas. This is when i realized something isnt right, and from that day forward my car has gotten worse. The o/d light constantly comes on and my car continues to rev up when Im going under 20 mph. At this point im terrified of driving this car anywhere.

Update from Feb 27, 2014: I'm away at college and stuck because I'm afraid to drive. The rpms rev high when at about 20 mph, the thing jumps and jerks, the OD flashes off and on. I took it to mechanic for service and he's not sure what's going on but says will cost 2000 to fix. He doesn't even know for sure. I liked my truck until this happened. Not dependable.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Sep 052012

Explorer Sport Trac 4.0L V6

Complete Transmission failure at 62,000 miles, granted it is a 2002,... but, it came from Hawaii, now its in Wisconsin. Same story,... blinking "O/D Off" light. Unfortunate, because i love the body style and ride of the sport trac, but now I'm ready to get out of it and cut my losses. Its in the shop right now. I'm being told its going to run me $1000 for a used, or $2000 for a rebuild (not yet including labor). So,... I'm going the cheaper route, and privately selling the truck as soon as it has the used tranny installed. I would totally keep it, but i have no reason to believe that this wont happen again. In fact, after reading all the rants and raves on here about the Sport trac tranny's, this problem is almost certain to happen again, Especially going the "used transmission" route.

- , Racine, WI, USA

Dec 042012

Explorer Sport Trac LX 3.2L

Since this is a manufacturing/design defect and is well known to Ford, they should at least offer some relief to consumers, especially in light of the fact they are trying to build customer loyalty and entice consumers to buy their cars again.

- , Acworth, GA, USA

Jul 102011

Explorer Sport Trac Eddie Bauer 3.2L V6

Like many of you who have complained about their transmission problems with the 2002 Ford Explorer, I did as someone suggested and called the complaint department at Ford. I was told that not enough people have complained about this particular problem and year. I find that very hard to believe when there are currently 8,337 complaints against Ford on this website alone. The number #2 compaint is the transmission for the Ford Explorer. I challange everyone of you who have ever had a problem with your Ford Explorer transmission to please call Ford Motor Company and complain. If enough of us do it, then we may affect change and you just might get a new transmission or be reimbursed for your repairs. The number to call is 1-800-392-3673.

- , Doylestown, PA, USA

Dec 122011

Explorer Sport Trac

2002 Sport-trac will not go into reverse. Sometimes placing into L2 and then reverse allows it to work. Last week it slipped in forward after coming to abrupt stop. Transmission should not go at such a low mileage.

- , Sudbury, MA, USA

Oct 072011

Explorer Sport Trac 4.0L V6

OK so this Vehicle is the by far the worst I've ever had, last year the O/D light kept blinking and when I would get on the interstate it would rev at about 3500 RPM when i was going 70MPH so I took it in and the told me that my fifth gear was out and my second was on its way and that I need to get it my transmission rebuilt and I did, it came with a one year warranty, now here I am a year and two months later and the O/D light is blinking again and my gears are slipping and I'm revving 3500RPM in the interstate and have to get the same work done all over. I truly hate this vehicle and would never suggest a ford anything to anyone!

- , Charlotte, NC, USA

Aug 192010

Explorer Sport Trac

When I first got the Sport Trac I loved it! I had some minor, normal car problems with it after it reached over 100,000. Then my transmission started slipping once in awhile. After that then my overdrive started flashing constantly even when I would first turn the vehicle on. After that I got the overdrive checked out when I took the vehicle in to a Ford dealership to get my already recalled cruise control fixed. They checked it and told me it would be $356 dollars to fix and would take half of a day. I thought it wouldn't be a big deal when I got the money for it. After they checked the transmission would slip constantly and my overdrive stopped flashing so I took it to an independent automotive repair and they told me it was my transmission. Now when my transmission slips and when it stalls my overdrive will flash after it shifts. After doing some research online about the other 2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac models I will never by another Ford Explorer Sport Trac and will not recommend to anyone about buying one of those models!

- , Brownstown, IL, USA

Dec 072010

Explorer Sport Trac LX 4.0L

took this vehicle in to have preventive maintance done ,(50K replace transmission fluid & filter) on the way home lost the transmission. Started slipping 200ft from the service station. Was told it would come out of it. It sure did.... the transmission is totally fried.

Research show a ton of issues with the 2002 tranny, why id Ford getting away is shoddy products. I take very good care of my vehilces and I am meticilous about up keep. This truck was working perfectly when I took it in for service. I has never towed a boat, trailer, camper or anything heavy. I was told by the repair shop that the fron seal was not there, the transmission had moulded seals and they had never seen that before? the original fluid that came out of the pan before was fine in color, it had no metal shavings or pieces in the bottom of the pan, the magnet was clean with not particles on it, there was nothing in the pan to indicate a problem... I was asked why I was changing the fluid &filter because it looked fine. I told them suggested maintaince by Ford Motor Co. Ford needs to step up and accept responsibility for shoddy parts and vehicles. Where is the Goverment on these transmission issues???

- , Farmington, ME, USA

Dec 282010

Explorer Sport Trac

I am having problems with the trans and it sounds like the same problem that a lot of people are having along with the many people who wont take the time to write. Ford, what happened to you? What went wrong? I was brought up to believe in you, well the faith is gone. I tried to tell the ford dealership that there was a problem when I had 60000 on the truck and they said they could not find a thing and to be on my way. Now she slips from 2nd to 3rd when she is cold and revs up pretty high and will catch the gear. I mean it has just been little things here and little things there with this piece of junk. looks are cool but does not do you any good if the damn thing will not move. I bought it with 29000 and have never missed oil change/service, a lot of good that did me. should of driven this piece into the ground, ha, prob last me longer. dont buy a ford explorer sport trac from the year 2002. That being said, anybody looking for a 2002 blk sport track? great price!!!!! ha ha I wanted to believe First On Race Day but Found On Road Dead seems about right!

- , Charlotte, NC, USA

Apr 012010

Explorer Sport Trac 4.0lV6

Its has been very stressful for me This is my only transportation to work. And don't have $2500 to get this fix. I will not be buy a Ford again car or truck.....

- , West Memphis, ARK, USA

May 202010

Explorer Sport Trac XLT V6

I recently have noticed problems with my automatic transmission shifting erratically' and even the OD lite came on but went off, so I didn't give it anymore thought. But after reading some of the complaints I can see it's a waste of time complaining to Ford. Rest assured I will be buying a new vehicle soon , but it won't have the Ford nameplate on it. If this is how arrogant Noth American companies are to customer complaints it's no wonder there is nothing being made here anymore. Or is that what they are up too. I understand the Big 3 all have signifigent invesrments offshore, and I'm sure this helps create jobs here.

- , Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada

Feb 032009

Explorer Sport Trac V6

So we brought the vehicle to our local dealer because the transmission was starting to surge upshifts. They did a fluid change and sent us home. On the way home, the OD light started flashing so my wife turned around and went back to the dealer. They called a couple of days later saying we needed a new transmission for $4K. After I got off the floor I asked if they had read the service codes or checked the filter. I wanted to know why a new transmission was needed in a vehicle with fewer than 40K miles. After another couple of days I was told that the error codes were pointing to bad fluid pressure and that the transmission was full of brass shavings. The only remedy a shiny new transmission for $4,000. Damn! I've never towed anything and the vehicle has always been well maintained by me. It seems to me a transmission should outlast my tires!

- , San Rafael, CA, USA

Oct 202008

Explorer Sport Trac Limited 4.0lsohc

o/d light keeps blinking, wont shift between 2nd and 3rd gear only if i do it manually and wont gonto 4dw

- , Kingston 6, FL, Jamaica

Jan 142001

Explorer Sport Trac 4.0L

in difference of ford our sport trac is one of the best vehicles i have ever had for snow and ice,if it hadn't, almost killed me yesterday,i was pulling on to hwy. 40 in Roosevelt Utah a very busy hi speed 2 lane road that has claimed many lives each year,when all of the sudden the trans.just started to slip.i hurried and shifted down manually and the truck started to go but when i got to my wife work to pick her up the o/d light started to flash and i didn,t have 1st or reverse gears.i don't know what to do because i got laid off of my job and we need both of our trucks,hers to get to work and mine to look for work.i got on line to see if i could find a trans. and change it my self [we don't have a warranty any more and we still owe 7000.00 on this truck] but i found that this is a bad problem with this truck and it will be impossible to find one.if there is a class action suit being formed count me in,i almost got killed.

- , Bluebell, UT, USA

Dec 012008

Explorer Sport Trac 4.0L

My transmission started slipping a few days earlier, but once it warmed up it was okay. This morning it didn't stop and the o/d light started flashing and it went out before I could get to work. Fluid was on the side rails and under the truck so I had it towed to a dealership. They said the fluid was burned and too many codes to count. Having it replaced with one that comes with a 3 year warrenty. Hope to win the lottery by then so I can pay for the next one. Has been a good vehicle up to now with only standard maintenance, but will look at another brand for next vehicle. Ford has sold my company off and I'm one of the lucky few to still have a job. Profit at any price seems to be their motto now.

- , Midwest City, OK, USA

Jul 172008

Explorer Sport Trac LX 4.0L V6

i just bought this sh*tty ass ford 2 days ago.ya 2 days ago and now i have to put a trans. in it i also was a ford man .i had a 93 ford explorer 4x4 ,00 ford contour,01 ford windstar,96 ford f-150 and a 01 f-150 never had a problem now i see all this about ford i am so pissed.my 02 explorer is trashed and ford wont help ,this sucks .this truck looks great and drove fine first day and1/2 now this

- , Southaven, MS, USA

Jun 072008

Explorer Sport Trac 4.8L V6

Had my Transmission System Flushed @ 54K miles and had no problems then. Driving down the interstate, the shift from 2nd to 3rd gear didn't happen right away and the engine revved up and it eventually occurred. O/D Light began flashing at that moment.

The warranty expired long ago under years, but as you can see, I've barely put any miles on the car and have been VERY fastidious about getting regular maintenance done. Other problems that have occurred are an emissions sensor needing being replaced as well as the fuel injector requiring a deep cleaning. I attribute that to dirty gas though.

Off topic, this is 3rd Ford vehicle in my immediate family that has had serious transmission problems. The other two vehicles, a windstar and explorer had 100K+ miles so it is slightly more understandable in that sense.

- , Jackson, MS, USA

Dec 272007

Explorer Sport Trac V6

OD light came on, so I took the truck into a nearby dealership. they told me it would need a new or rebuilt transmission. I found this unbelievable for less than 60,000 miles. I was going to take the vehicle to a transmission shop, when the service guy called me back and said Ford agreed to "help me out" with the problem, and I only paid a $700 deductible.

End of story? Not quite. Yesterday, I am driving home in the rain. Felt like the transmission was slipping.Then the OD light starts flashing. So, now at 70,197 miles, it appears the transmission has gone out again. I doubt they will help me out again. Guess I'll have to repair it and try to trade it in for a Nissan or Toyota.

- , Stafford, TX, USA