2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac:

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Owner Comments

Oct 032011

Explorer Sport Trac 6-cyl

Sitting at a stop sign vehicle went into acceleration gas peddle went to floor. Foot was on the brake. Checked no carpet stuck under the gas peddle. Foot was not touching gas peddle. It was almost like the cruise control was pressing the gas peddle. Cruise control was off. Shut vehicle off then back on issue went away. This has happened other times to myself and my wife. Sometimes while pushing the gas the gas peddle leaves your foot and continues to the floor on its own, pressing the brake and turning vehicle off seems to resolve the issue. This issue happens so in frequently that it is hard to reproduce for service shop.

- Goffstown, NH, USA

Mar 222011

Explorer Sport Trac 6-cyl

I have had fuel tank issues for a year now and they are getting worse. My gauge stopped working about 13 months ago which was no big deal. Now I am unable to put more then 4-5 gallons of gas in at a time. The safety sensor stops the pump from filling up my tank and if I try to do it a little at a time it just shoots gas out of my fill area and gets everywhere. I have been doused in gas and I have run out of gas in very bad areas. The sensor replacement was only a temporary fix, now it's impossible to put gas in my tank and it's starting to run poorly. I have to stop everyday for gas. This is a malfunctioning Ford part that should be recalled and replaced. I have run out of gas and when that happens every thing shuts down including the power steering. It was dangerous and difficult to maneuver my truck, I was getting on the freeway and the on ramp was a semi-circle.

- Altadena, CA, USA