4.3

2012 Ford Fiesta engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Fiesta:

2012 Ford Fiesta Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 212016

Fiesta 4-cyl

I bought my 2012 Ford Fiesta in 9/2015 with approx.16,000 miles on it. Since I purchased the car, it has been in the shop 5 times (one of which for 26 days). #1 was due to the door latch. My 10yr old was sitting in the backseat when the right side door swung open while I was making a turn. #2 was due to the transmission. The car was having trouble shifting gears & began shaking, then the lights inside & out started blinking and the car completely shut off while I was driving down the highway. #3 was for the transmission again, which locked up while I was driving down I75 in naples the evening of 12/28/2015. The car completely locked up and had to be towed in the middle of the night. #4 the transmission again. While driving North on I75 the car started making a strange whinny noise then shortly after locked up while I was still driving. That time I barely made it off to the side of the highway. Car was towed again to dealership. #5 transmission...again. While driving at 11:30pm at night 8/2016 car lights started blinking on & off and then the car completely shut off while I was driving. Managed to be able to turn it on again and drive it to the dealership...where it stayed for 26 straight days. Tomorrow will be #6...due to transmission problems...again. Car is making whinny noises again, shaking and having trouble shifting gears, temperature light is coming on and A/C is not cooling anymore. Tomorrow I'll be getting an attorney as well.

- Sarasota, FL, USA

Aug 012016

Fiesta

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fiesta. While coming to a stop, the vehicle began to rev while in neutral at high speeds. The vehicle would decelerate intermittently as if it would stall, but then suddenly began to accelerate. The failure recurred while driving approximately 30 mph. The contact depressed the brake pedal, but the vehicle failed to stop until the anti-lock brakes were activated. The dealer stated that the electronic throttle body failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The part for the repair was on back order. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the repair was no longer under warranty. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 62,143.

- Portland, OR, USA

May 102016

Fiesta

Multiple problems were reported to me by the dealer as potentially being the cause when I took the car in for loss of power while driving, intermittent check engine light and wrench light along with shuddering in the transmission while driving. The dealer replaced (for the second time in 12-months) the clutch assembly, the seals, the clutch release lever and the clutch slave but stated that while the throttle body was bad and in need of replacement, the problem was not caused by the clutch nor did it contribute to the clutch problem and would not be covered by the extended Ford warrantee of the clutch. I had taken the car in with the same issue several months back but, because the check engine light was not on at the time, they dismissed the issue as normal functioning of the clutch. The same issue was the cause for the initial clutch assembly replacement a year ago. I plan to pursue the issue of the throttle body with Ford in light of the fact they are acknowledging and taking ownership of etb issues with 1.6M other Ford models in the same production period.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Apr 022016

Fiesta

I purchased a 2012 Ford Fiesta automatic literally 3 days ago. After only 3 short days of driving it, it says "transmission service now", and also has shuttering in acceleration and delay in acceleration. It frightens me often when I am pulling out, turning or at a stop and go. When trying to accelerate it will shutter then receive a huge burst of speed. Which will then cause me to swerve almost losing control or will cause me to almost rear end the vehicle ahead of me.

- Garrett, IN, USA

Feb 022016

Fiesta

When car is stopped or driving the transmission feels like it is going to slop. Feels like it is going to stall. Went T dealership and they said this is normal. This is not normal. Jerks and feels like chocking when driving or stopped. When accelerating jerks and feels like the transmission slips and isn't shifting. Went to dealership several times and they will not look into this. Looked online and noticed several forums and other people having the same troubles with the car. Needs to be corrected as it is a safety issue. Expressed. Concern with dealership that it was having troubles that it was either the transmission but looked at me. Like I did T know what I was talking about because I'm a chick.

- Worcester, MA, USA

Jan 192016

Fiesta

Today, 1/19/2016 is my 6th visit to Ford dealer service since 2014 August. My car has been towed in to service location with condition of transmission shudders excessively. I was not able to drive the car with a in-operating transmission. It is very sad, I do not feel safe to drive the vehicle no more than 15 miles if I can. Transmission and clutch has been fixed for 3 times. Every time I have talked to Ford customer rep. They are telling me I should be okay because they extend my transmission coverage to 100.000 miles. Should I toss my car after 100.000 " I definitely do not feel I can make it to 100.000 without an injury!!! will company wait until someone get injured for a buyback policy? who is responsible for the time I spent on the issue"

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jan 012013

Fiesta

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fiesta. The contact stated that after coming to a complete stop and attempting to make a left turn, the vehicle accelerated independently. The vehicle then stuttered and hesitated before the turn was made without warning. The failure recurred on several occasions after coming to a complete stop. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but the failure was unable to be determined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 25,000.

- Moran, MI, USA

Nov 232015

Fiesta

Have had many instances of jerking and grinding while the vehicle shifted gears. However now vehicle struggles to accelerate when under load, engine revs but vehicle does not accelerate. This occurs notably when going from 10-20mph and trying to accelerate, as when trying to merge onto a highway from a ramp. Owned manual cars that required clutch replacement, sensation is similar. Vehicle has 26K miles, has had two clutches and three computer updates. Told by dealership that vehicle is safe to drive while they wait for parts, I disagree.

- Beverly, MA, USA

Jan 012015

Fiesta

When I am at a stop sign or stop light my vehicle if I don't have the brake on securely I will roll a bit backwards until I put my foot on the break. As well as when I start to go at a light or stop sign the engine will sputter out while I put my foot on the gas peddle for the fist time since stopping. Then the engine will catch itself as I let off the gas peddle and then re-attach my foot to the gas peddle. There is a sputter grumble noise that happens at this time and a jerking movement you feel as the engine catches itself. Like the tranny is too low or something.

- Garland, TX, USA

Apr 232013

Fiesta

I purchased the car in March of 2013 from the first week I owned the car I have complained that the car: Shudders and gurgles at take off with no power what so ever, going up a steep hill has no power at all the car gurgles and then once it catches the car lunges forward very fast, when breaking there is a loud noise and the car shudder, the RPM's rev high at take off. 1st appointment I was told it was a new transmission system and it had to learn the way I depress the gas. 2nd, 3rd, 4th appointment same thing....5th appointment…clutch reset to re-learn the shifting patterns.....6th appointment - clutch replaced. Called to ask what to do because it's not fixed. I was advised to call Ford customer care that maybe they would give me a loaner car so the dealer could keep the car longer....6/22/15 - I called Ford customer relations I was advised to bring it back to the dealership and call Ford customer care back to let them know what the diagnosis was...6/30/15 - the clutch was reset to re-learn the shifting patterns, and was advised there is nothing wrong with my breaks...6/30/15 - called Ford customer care with the diagnosis, was advised that the dealership is doing the steps to repair this issue per Ford. Asked to speak with a supervisor...7/2/15 - supervisor called, informed me that I did not qualify for the buy back program, that the dealership is doing exactly what Ford is telling them to do and that I can buy a new car and mention the customer loyalty Ford Fiesta program to receive money towards my new purchase. I asked to speak with someone higher up; she advised me that she would have someone call me but that they are going to tell me the exact same thing...7/6/15 - waiting on a call

- Seymour, CT, USA

Dec 182014

Fiesta

I have had multiple incidents with the transmission of my 2012 Fiesta, beginning roughly in November of 2014. The first specific incident I can recall occurred on December 18, 2014. I was driving from toledo, Ohio to the detroit, mi airport and back. I had two other passengers in my car who noticed the violent shaking/shuddering problems that my vehicle was having when trying to accelerate. The shuddering occurs at both low speeds and high speeds. The shuddering does not occur daily but roughly 4-5 days a week, causing difficulties with acceleration, breaking, and controlling the vehicle. About two months ago I was stopped at a red light at a busy intersection. When I began to accelerate my car started shaking so violently that it could not move forward any more. At that time a semi-truck was coming up behind me and had to swerve to avoid hitting me. The speed limit at this busy intersection is 40mph. At this point my car is unsafe to drive, even though I have taken it in to the dealer multiple times to fix the transmission. So far, the repairs have been unsuccessful and I am told the potential parts to fix the issue (the clutch) is on back order for a minute of 6-8 weeks. I was told to continue driving my car in the mean time, and that no one can assist me at this time, even though I have been trying to rectify this issue since January 2015. Also, the clutch is not guaranteed to fix the problem, as it is the same make as the one currently in my car.

- Toledo, OH, USA

May 082012

Fiesta

Purchased my Fiesta in March 2012. Shortly after purchase started having problems with the shuttering and hesitating issue due to this new clutch design. The vehicle has been in to the service department where I purchased it the first time the clutch issue was repaired the second time they installed a part of the clutch system. The third time it was in to the service department there was no repair done. The warranty guidelines required the failure to rate at a 270 my failure was a 250. I have contacted a lawyer to get me released from this "death trap". on March 6, 2015, I went to turn left across two lanes of on coming traffic and it shuttered at acceleration and nearly stalled. Keep in mind this is automatic. I was nearly broad sided. I made arrangements for a vehicle because I was told that they did not have a loaner for me to drive while they repaired mine. So on, March 10, 2015, I took the Fiesta to another local Ford service center and upon their inspection was told that the clutch had to be replaced again. The wonderful news to this story is the part is back ordered from the factory and it will take eight weeks for them to receive in the part needed to repair my vehicle. I refuse to drive this vehicle. The Ford Fiesta is not a vehicle that should have the safety recommendations that it has. It isn't safe for consumer use.

- Snellville, GA, USA

Feb 122013

Fiesta 4-cyl

Major issues with the transmission system, including rolling backwards after coming to a stop, hesitating when shifting, clunking and chattering when shifting, responding slowly when accelerating, feeling like the transmission is searching for the correct gear but cannot find it, and the RPM spikes and drop when shifting. Two software updates for the transmission and two replacements of the clutch have been made within the last 1 and a half.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jan 012014

Fiesta

The transmission on the car will start giving out and when your trying to drive in road it will start to slow down. I have taken my car for service to Ford for the same reason and other repairs have been done to the car since I bought it brand new from Ford. I believe my car should be bought back I have to keep taking it to get work done on it.

- Adelanto, CA, USA

Jan 222014

Fiesta

I have been experiencing a shudder when I go from a dead stop. When I had experienced this I took it to my Ford dealership. After they"looked it over" they said they didn't find anything and it is a year later and it is still doing it and now my check engine light is on. I'm not happy about this at all because I did take to the dealership to get it taken care of and it wasn't. please help me.

- East Moline, IL, USA

Jul 252014

Fiesta

Vehicle has been taken in several times for noise in front of the car and transmission jerking when trying to shift gears, changing lanes on a highways taking turns and going up and down hills. The clutch system is causing shifting problems and every time I slow down or brake the rattling noise upfront gets louder, I was in the middle of changing lanes when the car jerked gears did not shift and I almost got hit by another car. It is very dangerous and have been getting a run around about getting it fix.the car's electrical system could cause the transmission's electronic controls to shut down or not allow the car to start at all, as I was told by the servicer I looked it up and other cars have the same problem I need assistance as I did my research found there are hundreds of Ford Fiesta that are having the same problems.

- Staten Island , NY, USA

Aug 202013

Fiesta

Car started grinding, crunching, and shaking, and had difficulty turning, accelerating, and going up hills. Car was brought to a Ford dealership and mechanics were told by owner that there was a transmission problem. Mechanics reset transmission, but did no further work. Car continued to make noises, shutter, and jolt. Was brought to another Ford dealership on December 2014 when car was sputtering at stops. Mechanics replaced entire transmission when 23000 miles only.

- Bloomington, IN, USA

Dec 012014

Fiesta 4-cyl

My throttle body stuck open. The Fusion and the escape has an extended warranty required by you but you did not include the Fiesta. Same issue. Sitting at a stoplight and my car revs between 2,000 and 3,000 rpms. It went above 3,000 rpms a couple of times. I luckily had my own extended warranty so it only cost me $100 to fix it but the Fiesta (and probably any Ford made in those years) should be covered. It was super scary. Luckily my engine is a manual transmission so I was able to put it into neutral and not get into any car accident. (an automatic transmission would have a big problem).

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Oct 222014

Fiesta

I purchased a Ford Fiesta 2012 a month ago, and have had transmission slippage since. At regular in town speeds, the Fiesta slips gears sometimes causing the car to roll backwards. Recently I was in bumper to bumper traffic and almost hit a car in front of me because the car jerked so much not knowing what gear it should be in. My car jolted back and forth. I then took the car back to the dealership where it was then taken to Ford and the computer for the transmission was reset, they told me to drive the car 1000 miles and to bring it back if not fixed. The car was still doing the same thing on day 1 of return, this car is not safe to me or other people on the road, especially if you are stuck in a lot of traffic. The car also makes grinding noises along with a lot of vibration. Nobody should be required to drive this car 1000 miles more just to have to bring it back. It's not safe, and I don't feel comfortable driving it.

- Niceville, FL, USA