2013 Ford Fiesta drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Fiesta:

2013 Ford Fiesta Owner Comments (Page 8 of 12)

Sep 162013

Fiesta 4-cyl

Dual clutch automatic transmission exhibited erratic, shaky and shuddered shifting through all gear ranges...characteristic with Ford's tsb's 11-12-13, 12-04-06, 13-4-5, and 13-9-4. after having to justify the issue to two dealerships (was an actual problem and not me driving incorrect or understanding the transmission) Ford replaced the clutch packs and seals due to leak on 26 Sep 2013. Additionally, Ford gave me (at no cost) an extended powertraincare (5 year/100,000 mile) warranty. Luckily nobody was injured due to this transmission issue, and the vehicle drove fine after repair! I thought all this was resolved until Ford sent me a letter (Aug 2014) stating that customer satisfaction program 14M01 was extending warranty on the Fiesta powershift transmission to 7 years/100,000 miles? and, now we're at 22 Sep 2014 (21,700 miles) and the transmission is starting to exhibit the exact issues as it did just before the first failure. I've contacted Ford and scheduled a service appointment for this new issue. Further did some research and found that Ford has redesigned the clutch system (since my last fix), and issued tsb 14-01-31. That's five tsb's plus two warranty extensions in 5 years...and still no recall?? in my opinion, Ford rushed this transmission into market (not fully tested), and we (the consumer) became the test subjects!! again, luckily nobody has been injured or killed (that I know of yet)!

- Belleville, IL, USA

Mar 072013

Fiesta 4-cyl

Vehicle when starting from a stopped position will hesitate and shutter the front end and when U keep going past the third gear it will come out of the shuttering. Also wants to stutter when applying gas and acts like its going to stop. Have had the plastic clutch pack replaced in October 2013 but car is worse when accelerating from a stop or lower speed and wanting to accelerate or go faster. The car still shutters hard and acts like wants to die in traffic flow and now car is making grinding and rattle every time accelerating from a speed of 0-30 miles per hr. I want this fixed because this car will not last me until it gets paid off. Ford needs to take note that this 6 pack clutch system is not working for this type of vehicle. I will B getting an attorney if it gets to the point of this cost coming out of my pocket. Shuttering really bad, grinding noise, rattling noise, cutting out like it wants to die, I have seen the first burnt part they replaced in my car and wonder why Ford Motor Company would install a plastic piece inside a metal part. Also my headlights and windows are somehow connected together. Headlights are not positioned properly to see more then 1/2 car length in front of vehicle. Also radiator was loose and ready to fall out of car after driving vehicle 2 weeks.

- Lewistown, IL, USA

Aug 142013

Fiesta 4-cyl

The automatic transmission causes problems, and Ford has worked on it many times but hasn't fixed it.they replace the 'clutch' in the A/T and reprogram the A/T, but the problem remains. The transmission/clutch slips; causing the car to briefly lose power, then the car lurches forward when the A/T grabs 3-4 seconds later. The danger is two-fold. A) when you are stopped - for example - at a 4-way stop sign. You start to go, the car looses power and slows down; someone else thinks you are yielding to them and they go - meanwhile, the Fiesta's A/T grabs and suddenly lurches forward. This has caused a near crash several times. B) when you are at a stop sign or stop light with a car behind you. When safe, you start to move forward, the car loses power and slows, and the car behind you ends up slamming on its brakes to avoid hitting you. This has led to some near misses. The car is unsafe. Thank you.

- Placerville, CA, USA

Aug 052014

Fiesta 4-cyl

Transmission make a grinding sound and car shudders at low speeds. This was repaired in February 2014 for the same issue. Now it is recurring.

- Mansfield, OH, USA

Aug 302013

Fiesta 4-cyl

The 2013 Ford Fiesta dual-clutch transmission is faulty and unsafe. It shifts hard, stalls, slips, skips, jumps and shakes. I have had my car for 14 months and Ford has replaced the clutch 3 times and transmission seals once and it still has all these problems.

- Mountlake Terrace, WA, USA

Sep 092014

Fiesta 4-cyl

Hello - I have had multiple issues with this car dating back to months ago when I had it serviced twice for the problem. This car is becoming a safety issue. I had the "clutch" replaced in this automatic car a few months ago when the car kept lunging forward and not accelerating. When I got it back... I was told to give a "grace" period to break in the clutch and that it might continue to "stutter". the past week I have almost gotten into three accidents. The clutch/trans is lunging so bad at this point it almost hit the car in front of me. The other main safety issue with Ford having these "trans issues" on this model is the acceleration. It will not "catch" then lunge when trying to turn left and I almost got into a collision. Ford sent me a letter in the mail after I complained months ago saying the "stuttering" my be a leak in the trans. A few months ago they said the stuttering was because they had to replace the clutch. I am at wits end with a car I can not afford to get rid of but do not feel safe driving.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jul 312014

Fiesta 4-cyl

My daughter took her car in for repair end of July 2014, due to very bad shuttering, shaking, acceleration and brake issue. Dealership claims they reset the computer that speaks to the transmission. I had her take car back about 10 days later due to the same issue. They claim there was nothing wrong with vehicle that she needs to drive at least another 1000 miles so that computer can register her driving habits"?" I drove her to work the following Friday and as I was leaving uphill parking structure the car felt as it completely stalled out, I had the pedal floored and nothing and then out of nowhere the car jumped and accelerated forward. Luckily there were no cars in front of me I would of definitely hit them. I drove vehicle straight to dealership and asked salesman to take for a test drive. He stated that there was clearly a problem and he would have gsm call me by the following Monday. Tuesday comes and as my daughter was driving to work she was involved in an accident due to the car not accelerating so she floored it and unfortunate for her hit the vehicle in front of her. I called salesman back and he said he would call me back, 3 weeks later no phone call from salesman or gsm. Accident occured on 8-19-14 then we received a letter postmarked 8-26-14. Customer satisfaction program claiming they have extended her warranty on clutch and transmission input shaft salsas well as the transmission software calibration for a total of 7 years or 100,000 miles whichever occurs first. To date still have not received call back from salesman or general service manager. Vehicle needs to be recalled......

- Las Vegas , NV, USA

Mar 052014

Fiesta 4-cyl

I purchased the vehicle used in February of 2014. A couple of days after having the vehicle it started to make loud grinding noises, when I tried to accelerate it would sputter and almost stall. I took it in on March 05, 2014 and the dealership had it for a week. When I picked it up, I was told that they could not find anything wrong with it and the grinding was "normal". the grinding noises, the sputtering, the slow acceleration, and other issues are still happening with this vehicle. When I call to see if I can take it in, I am told that this is normal for this vehicle. These 'normal' attributes should be disclosed prior to purchasing the vehicle. When I am at a stop and I start to accelerate, the car does not accelerate and it lunges and it has caused me to almost get rear-ended on more than one occasion. There has been a couple of times where I am driving on the highway at a steady speed and when I try to accelerate, it does not accelerate and the rpms just shoot up. The transmission of this vehicle has too many bugs in it and it is causing a safety concern. If I would have known that these things were 'normal' prior to purchasing the vehicle, I never would have bought it. Something needs to be done about this. I have seen numerous complaints that are very similar to mine and it truly is a safety concern that needs to be addressed.

- Lochbuie, CO, USA

Aug 312014

Fiesta 4-cyl

I just bought a used 2013 Ford Fiesta with about 43-44,000 miles on it. I drove the car off the authorized dealer's lot on yesterday 8/31/2014. The first thing that I noticed was, as I entered the highway, the car had trouble getting up to speed with the flow of traffic. Later on the same day pulling out of an establishment to enter the main road I pressed the accelerator and the car jerked and acted like it was going to stall out. Then it lunged forward into the street! had there been oncoming traffic, this could have caused an accident with me and my family in the car! the car hesitates to shift gears correctly. The RPM hand revs up real high on a light push on the gas pedal and doesn't come down efficiently so the car jerks when if finally "catches". I've had this car for one day! this is a danger and something needs to be done!

- East Point, GA, USA

Jul 182014

Fiesta

The transmission makes a terrible grinding noise. It shutters upon accelerating from a stop, especially when lightly accelerating. When accelerating from a stop, the car may hesitate causing no response in throttle for a second or two, or it may by surprise spring you forward unexpectedly. This is a safety concern that I believe Ford needs to address for vehicles with this transmission.

- Catawba, VA, USA

Jul 172013

Fiesta 4-cyl

Hesitate shuttering when shifting! makes the car shake! been to the dealer 4 times with this issue and even had the clutch replaced! been reprogrammed 3 times also! I am told this is all they can do! this is a safety concern for myself and family! I want something done under the lemon law! already made a complaint to Ford! no response as of yet!

- Louisville, KY, USA

Jun 242014

Fiesta 4-cyl

Purchased this vehicle as a certified used directly from Ford dealership. Since the second day of owning it, on acceleration there is a buzzing noise under the hood (sounds like a go-cart) and feels like it is clogged. Will accelerate suddenly or will have trouble accelerating especially when getting onto highway which have put me in a few dangerous situations. When coming to a stop or accelerating from a stop you can hear lots of metal clanking and sounds like its chugging. The vehicle vibrates, skips, like it is trying to get in gear on acceleration. Having trouble finding a Ford house that has time or willingness to repair. Any I have called have said it would be 3-4 days before it can get looked at and won't issue a loaner in the meanwhile. I can't go 3-4 days without a car. Monday morning, I am taking in to a dealership and leaving for them to access. This car was purchased for my teenage child who will be getting her license soon, after driving this car for 2 months I do not feel it is safe for her to drive and will be looking at other options for a vehicle.

- Montague, TX, USA

Jun 012013

Fiesta

Transmission jerks aggressively from 1-3 gear. Sometimes acceleration is delayed and sluggish. Has almost caused a wreck on several occasions. Also, the delayed reaction causes the car to lurch forward and the engine revs up high causing the breaks to fail. So you must drive with more distance than normal to avoid collision. I had one car completely replaced. Transmission was completely shot after 400 miles. Grinding, slipping, jerking, clunking, hesitation, etc. This transmission is a piece of junk. Both cars had the same problems.

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 012014

Fiesta

Extreme transmission shudder. Jolting, jerking, shuddering, shaking, stalling. Had "dual clutch" replaced 3 times thus far. Requested a buyback, buyback denied. Had a couple more repair attempts and now the can't isn't running fully - sent it certified letter from a lawyer and trying to go through the buy back process again before going to court. Had 3 near accidents. This car is a lemon and extremely unsafe.

- Roanoke, VA, USA

Aug 192013

Fiesta 4-cyl

I bought the 2013 Fiesta in August of 2013. With 500 miles on it the transmission was lurching, clanking, and grinding. I took it to the dealer and they told me it was normal and they wouldn't even look at it. I also complained that the car was only getting 25mpg highway when it claimed 40. They said it was in the window for epa, and it would get better after 1500 miles. I complained to the main Ford customer service and they told me there was nothing they could do. I now have $14K miles on it and it still averages 20-25mpg highway. I had to take the car to them at $12K miles to fix the engine malfunction. When I called the mechanic he already knew what it was, which means it happens a lot. The engine still lurches, clanks, grinds, etc. I'm $8K upside down on trade in already because the value of this car has dropped so much in the last year due to all these issues.

- Huntsville, TX, USA

Jul 012013

Fiesta 4-cyl

Within a few weeks of purchase, the shuddering from a stopped start increased in magnitude (I understand the transmission is supposed to act like a manual but this was too severe) and on occasion after shifting from reverse to drive there was no engagement in the transmission, stepping on accelerator only revved the engine, no movement. Took the car back in, they state that is normal operation, the computer has to get used to your driving. Here we are one year later, it is no better and now has a transmission leak. Took back in for that and the service guy says, oh yeah we are booked way out to Aug 17 (it was July 24th) on fixes for that and he mentioned it is a known issue. Seems it has been known since 2011 yet the sales guys never mentioned it. Evidently mine is severe enough that they got me scheduled for Aug 7. they said that the transmission fluid may have gotten into the dry clutch and all would likely have to be replaced. It is great that they can continue to sell these knowing full well there are problems.

- Dupont, WA, USA

Nov 052012

Fiesta 4-cyl

Auto transmission shutter..from a complete stop through the shifting the transmission shutters. My local Ford garage says the car needs transmission packs, ,however due to Ford S computer reading the vehicle is operating at a normal range, so the garage cannot repair. We have almost been involved 3 rear end collisions because of this. Ford has not yet issued a recall on this matter even though there are many Fiestas with this problem, .

- Seneca Falls, NY, USA

Jul 212014

Fiesta

I brought my Fiesta in for service about three months after driving it off the lot. I experience knocking, chugging, jolting and jerking everytime I accelerate from a stop light or stop sign. Getting on the highway last week as I accelerated, my speedometer got stuck at 55mph and there was an extreme vibration coming from the bottom, along with the normal snapping noise. I'm taking it back for more service next week for the same reason it was in three months ago. I've only owned the car 9 months. I feel like this car is dangerous and I don't like to drive it. I travel 40 miles each way to work daily and I was happy about the gas mileage that I was getting but I didn't sign up for a lemon.

- Athol, MA, USA

Jul 112013

Fiesta

The vehicles engine makes noise as if something is caught in the engine or is having trouble shifting the entire time while driving. The car jerks aggressively when you begin to accelerate as if it is having trouble changing into gears. When trying to accelerate at times it will seem as if it looses power causing to almost come to an abrupt stop and shaking as if it is going to shut off! not the kind of trouble you should be having with a new car! I have to step off the gas pedal so that it can stop jerking. Several times I have been in the middle of traffic almost having people slam into me because of the abrupt stops the car has, or me almost hitting a car because it jerks to a sudden take off when pressing the accelerator.

- Oak Lawn, IL, USA

Feb 072014

Fiesta

In February of 2014 I took my Fiesta in complaining of grinding and rattling noises when taking off from a stop. Both inner and outer input shaft seals were replaced due to a leak as well as the clutch assembly. In July of 2014 at approx. 13,104 miles, my average miles per gallon was dropping as well as the car shuttering on acceleration and turning the vehicle. Again, within five months the clutch assembly was replaced, in may of 2014 a different issue, the check engine light came on. This time diagnosis was the catalyst element failing and the exhaust manifold assembly was replaced. Another issue was I had the green phone icon light flashing on the center display, in which the front display was replaced. I really like the my Fiesta, but I do not feel very comfortable driving it, too much has gone bad in a short period of time. Ford needs to do more in addressing and fixing these issues. Too many Fiesta owners have these issues and this is not a safe vehicle.

- Kettering, OH, USA