2013 Ford Fiesta drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Fiesta:

2013 Ford Fiesta Owner Comments (Page 1 of 12)

Nov 212016

Fiesta

Went to start my vehicle and it did not turn on at all. There is just a clicking noise, so the starter is good, however the battery was dead. I jumped started the car and was able to drive. My information screen said, "transmission malfunction please service now". the vehicle would run at 4,000 rpms before shifting when usually it's supposed and did shift at 3,500 rpms. As I would brake and be under 5mph the vehicle would lurch forward and I would have to slam my brakes in order to make a complete stop and avoid hitting the vehicle in front of me. I took it back home and haven't drove it since. Today I tried to unlock my car with my wireless key fob and the doors wouldn't unlock. My vehicle completely lost all power. On the Ford website for my specific vehicle, it shows I have field service actions. Fsa title: Transmission clutch shudder / transmission input shaft seal warranty extension. 150,000/ 10 year warranty. Fsa title: Transmission control module extended warranty coverage. I have learned the transmission control module can end up having a short and your car can shutter when it shifts and it can lose all power. This is very dangerous and should be addressed by Ford and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, before someone loses their life.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Aug 122013

Fiesta

I bought this car in Aug 2013 car began hesitating and jerking when trying to accelerate. My car has been in the service department more than 4 or 5 times within 3 years and for the same issue. The problem is the transmission clutch and it needs to be replaced, the last time it took almost a week to get the parts and to replaced it. This is really inconvenient especially the first few times they did not provide no loaner. Buying this car was a total loss of money because as soon as this warranty ends, I will end up paying for these repairs. Ford is doing anything about it with the exception of replacing the clutch if there is still warranty.

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 012016

Fiesta

Car began hesitating and jerking, when trying to accelerate it would bog down when trying to drive, going through intersections after a stop car was almost hit a number of times due to car staling. My wife and I took the car to the dealer on October 20th 2015 for the 4th time, they said it was clutch and they replaced it then called and said it was transmission and they would replace that. We didn't car back until Jan 16 2016 I took the car to work the next day, while on the highway the car began to hesitating and jerking. The dealer told me the transmission had to be trained. We took the car back October 1st 2016 due to the car staling in the intersection and almost being hit again the dealer told me that it was the clutch and it needed to be replaced and was on back order, they said they did not know how long it would be and they are waiting on parts, as of today October 26th 2016 my car is still at the dealer. This is a repeat issue, I have taken my car into the dealer a number of times and was told that there was no issue with the car. This time they said it was the clutch and was a "known issue" that Ford is not doing anything about other then waiting until the warranty is up and forcing you to either deal with the issue or buy a new car.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Oct 072016

Fiesta

My sons car began hesitating and jerking, when trying to accellerte it would bog down when trying to go, getting on the highway was scary. We took the car to the dealer on Aug 19th they said it was clutch and they replaced it then called and said it was transmission and they would replace that. We didn't car back until Oct 6 my son took the car to work the next day, while on the highway the car began to whine as well as an odor he pulled off the highway and my husband went and got the car. The dealer picked the car up from my driveway leaving a puddle. They are telling me it is still the transmission and they are waiting on parts, as of today Oct 25th my car is still at the dealer.

- Salem, NH, USA

Jul 072015

Fiesta

Car sputters on take off almost dying in the middle of major intersections. Radio electrical shorted out the first 3 months and smoke from hood. The right rear door flew open going down the highway

- Waskom, TX, USA

Aug 082016

Fiesta

When I take off from a stop the engine chugs, jerks, chatters, and grinds.

- Glenpool, OK, USA

Sep 262016

Fiesta

Casenumber:1024456 I have been taking my car to summerville Ford dealership since purchased in August of 2015 recalls transmission issues door locks it happened when moving they said would call when transmission rep.came in..I was fine to drive. Then door latches recalled. They replaced, and my drivers window stopped at a point before going down all theway. It seemed to finally go down but felt like scraping or getting hung up. These folks also left a hubcap off last October though..and did not know..I ruled out as human graced and gave benefit of doubt. When I called they were closed. So I brought back and they said it was a relay switch...but I knew it wasn't because it was not acting like that until (door latch) replacement. Then it went away seemingly. I brought back again for check engine light.. then had a fan motor issue they told me to pay warranty and they would cover.

- Ravenel, SC, USA

Dec 142015

Fiesta

The transmission shutters. Sometimes it doesn't catch at all for a few seconds or move so when you are trying to pull out into traffic you end up stuck lingering in the middle of the road. This could cause a wreck, endangers mine and my already at least one documented case of this already happening.

- Stockbridge, GA, USA

Aug 302016

Fiesta

Issues with transmission. Ford power shift transmission has been a issue multiple times with transmission failing to properly engage and grinding noise and jerking when accelerating at low speeds causing steering to shake possible safety issue if this ever happened at high speeds. This issue happens mostly when accelerating from a stop and when slowed to near stop apprx 5-10 mph multiple computer and transmission controll unit reprogram a and clutch has been replaced approximately 8000 miles prior to today's date and having same issues as before

- Peterborough, NH, USA

Aug 012016

Fiesta

My car has transmission issues. It shudders and hesitates when trying to go into gear.it has been to service well over 6 times in 2 years. I am told that this is the design of the car and I need to understand that this 6-speed automatic shifts internally different. When on the open road and it is in gear it functions ok. In town going from stop light to stop light is when the issue occurs. It hesitates in acceleration and shudders. It has failed me exiting onto a major freeway by not kicking into the proper gear. I no longer try to merge onto a freeway in this car. There is not a doubt in my mind that this car is a safety issue. There have been numerous complaints just like mine about this car. I have tried and tried to tell Ford corporation and the local dealership about these issues. I have written a letter stating my concern for my safety in this car. I have gone to the local dealership on numerous occasions and made many attempts at getting them to listen to me regarding these transmission issues. I have left there so offended by them acting like there is nothing wrong with this car when I know they know there is a problem. They put in back on me the driver that I don't know how to drive the car. I have been driving for 38 years most have been 5 speeds, I understand completely how a car is suppose to drive and for them to insinuate otherwise is insulting to me. Again this car is a safety hazard and more so than ever now, because the safety latches have malfunctioned on the passenger rear and front doors. I do not feel safe at all driving this car but I have no other options as Ford low-balled me on a trade in because they are aware of these issues.

- Bastrop, TX, USA

Aug 232016

Fiesta

My car has been taken in for 5 times to the Ford dealership for this faulty cv transmission. It's also gone through at least 3 recalls (fortunately Ford has "extended the warranty") on the blasted thing. I've also had them replace the cvt part itself, still nothing. So what's wrong" the damn transmission doesn't work properly. It jars when accelerating, and I mean badly jars. How bad" I'm accelerating between first and second gear, let's say ina turn into an intersection. It will literally stop for a second while doing the adjustment and then continue forward. This is not something that is safe at all. In addition, after the latest "recall", it's made things "worse". the last time I went from first to second gear "flooring it" (just to see how it would handle it), the thing went up to 6200 rpms. The "red zone". it should not do that. At all. These "loons" insist that this is normal, when there are plenty of other cvts out there (let's say, Honda) that have working ones that function fine. Worse, they've been calling the damn system automatic instead of what it really is, a fancy pants computerized mechanical. It's happened multiple times. There are times when I'm just going from a stop light and the damn thing shutters and jerks. When it's into a turn, from stop to start, or up a hill, the thing stutters and sometimes stalls.

- Round Rock, TX, USA

Jun 012016

Fiesta

Manual transmission, when first started (transmission cold) it shutters in reverse then when shifted into 1st it will slightly shutter and from 1st to 2nd, then of different occasions it shifts hard from 2 to 3rd. Once the vehicle has been driven for at least 10 minutes, it operates normal. Called Ford Motor Co. Cust. Care and there is nothing they can do except suggest to take to the local dealer which will cost an arm an a leg. This happens every day when the transmission is cold no matter what temperature or time of day as long as the vehicle has remain parked for at least 2 hours.

- Columbus, IN, USA

Dec 212012

Fiesta

Vehicle shutters and losses power through 1st and 2nd gear seems to happen more on warmer days. Problem started around 1000 miles, dealer " replaced clutch " at 1123 miles took it back to dealer for same problem, was told there are no new updates. This vehicle has been to the dealer 12 time for the same problem, they have told be there is nothing they can do...

- Auburn, NY, USA

Jul 182016

Fiesta

This vehicle is unsafe and should be recalled. Dual transmission cluch is a serious problem disengaging while driving slow or fast and shutters at all speeds. Its electronic throttle body (ecb) is defective just like 1.6 million 2009-2014 Ford escape and Fusion and Mercury mariner and Milan vehicles that Ford started a "customer satisfaction program" in lieu of a recall. Of course the ecb is not under warranty (3,000 over) and Ford did not identify the Fiesta as one of the customer satisfaction program cars. $545 plus labor for a car that is 3 years old. No more Ford products for home or work for this cfo.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Feb 102015

Fiesta 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Fiesta. The contact stated that vehicle has been in the shop five times for transmission related issues. The clutch was replaced three times. The dealer was unable to determine a solution. The contact was unable to determine if the vehicle would be repaired. The vehicle was at the dealer for further inspection and diagnosis. The manufacturer was notified of the failure several times and was unable to provide a remedy to the dealer. The failure mileage was not available. Updated 08/04/16.

- Appleton, WI, USA

Jun 162016

Fiesta

The transmission on my 2013 Ford Fiesta shudders, jerks and pauses/stalls on acceleration while in low gears. When entering traffic from a stopped condition extra time has to be allotted because the car transmission will jerk and pause on acceleration. The driver has no control over the speed of the car, in other words accelerating will not allow the driver to get out of the way because the transmission pauses. This is a very dangerous situation. This car has been to the dealer 4 times. The clutch has been change multiple times. The garage finally gave up on trying to fix the transmission and replaced it. The car has the same issues with the new transmission. Additionally the transmission shifts erratically at low speeds, it's not consistent and smooth. These issues happen all the time, this just isn't a one time occurrence. This is daily driving!

- West Bend, WI, USA

Jan 052016

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Feb 172016

Fiesta

Taken vehicle to dealer 5 times for transmission. Shutters, intermittent transmission staying in 2nd gear which could cause a crash.I am at a loss with this vehicle.I wish Ford would replace transmission instead of having technicians replace clutches and seals or clean clutch to remove transmission oil off clutch. I have decided not to purchase a Ford product while I am on this earth. No customer should have to suffer with inadequate engineering designs!!!!

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Jan 172016

Fiesta

On a cold morning car failed to start and transmission failure came on display. Ford replaced trans module and said my battery was starting to get low. Two weeks later the same thing happened. Car was again towed to dealer who said I needed a new trans module. I informed him this was second module in two weeks and that there must be something else causing the problem. He said there was nothing else. I then found online where Ford has painted the surface where the ground cable from the battery is attached. A youtube video stated the cleaning the surface of paint, applying di-electric grease and re-attaching cable would cure the issue. Have completed this and haven't had an issue since. Ford needs to recall all units to fix this issue.

- Rockford, IL, USA

May 102016

Fiesta

Reference complaints #'s 10639225, 10744924 & 10820141 for background concerning this vehicle. Also, documents associated with on-going problem are submitted with complaint #10744924. Current issue is clutch #4 being replaced in this vehicle in less than four years! if that isn't grounds for action against Ford for their defective designed transmission then I sure don't know what would be" sure, Ford gave a seven year warranty for the flaw, but it's just replacing the part with the same faulty part that fails every year! three more years then it's out of my pocket!! it's the transmission clutch for heavens sake...it shouldn't be replaced every year!!! I own an eight year old Ford F150 that not once has had a transmission issue...matter of fact...I've never owned a vehicle until the Fiesta with such a problem"

- Belleville, IL, USA