2009 Ford Flex drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Ford Flex:

2009 Ford Flex Owner Comments

May 282016

Flex

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Flex. While driving 35 mph, the front of the vehicle began to vibrate. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the front axle had an indentation and the rear brake caliper had bolts that detached. As a result, the axle and caliper needed to be replaced. In addition, the technician stated that the torque converter and transmission seal were leaking oil and the drive line and torque converter needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failures. The failure mileage was 101,946. The VIN was unavailable.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Aug 122016

Flex

The power transfer unit (ptu) fails on a number of Ford models. The seal leaks and in my case the unit needed to be replace because of metal shavings. The cost for repairs $2,600.

- Castro Valley, CA, USA

Sep 082015

Flex

My Flex started having a hard jerk and bang when going from reverse to park. Was not always but frequent. The car started to run hot when sitting in a drive thru or traffic but would go right back down when I started moving. I took it into S mechanic and he replaced the fan. After replacing the fan the car began to have a really bad grinding noise when idling or traveling. Do bad I did not want to drive it. I took it into the Ford dealership and after 2 days they call and say they can't find anything wrong. Within 4 minutes I get another call daying I need a new transmission. The car would eccellerate on its own, shut off intermittently, and car would lag between 3rd and 4th gears. Ford dealership advised me to have a knew transmission put in. Car will shift properly most of the time even on highway. Only get whining noise at low speeds. I was also in an accident causing $13000 worth of damage to front end and airbags did not deploy after hitting a car doing 35 mph.

- National City, CA, USA

Dec 102014

Flex 6-cyl

My Flex started making a little grinding noise when only turning right at first. Now it sounds really bad turning either way. And it shakes when accelerating.

- Clyde , OH, USA

Oct 182014

Flex 6-cyl

Vehicle stop running no power.

- Collegepark, GA, USA

Sep 022013

Flex 6-cyl

Engine stumbled and then lost power. It re-started but idled at 750rpm. Car would not accelerate. Placing the car into neutral and depressing the accelerator did not increase the engine speed. This persisted about 3-4 minutes. Afterwards, the engine speed responded to the accelerator, and when placed in gear, accelerated normally. This has happened three times in the past year.

- Vienna, VA, USA

Mar 242014

Flex 6-cyl

Driving stopped at a stop sign noticed the wrench light on (happens often while this happens will not accelerate like normal until it hits 2-3rd gear). I press the gas to accelerate after making the turn I had to make another turn about 1/4 mile up the street. I released the gas to make the turn but my car kept accelerating it was not going very fast but the engine was accelerating pushing the rpms up to 6000. My foot was not on the gas and nothing was pressing the gas no floor mat or items in the way of the pedals. I pressed on the break (with the engine still accelerating) put the car into neutral and pulled over. Turned the engine off and restarted the car. The car ran fine after restarted it. No check engine light was on at any point just the wrench light. The light did go off after I restarted the car. I drove it about another 40 miles since this has happened and has not recurred since. I did have the car taken in to check the codes at about 90K miles (without the wrench light because it goes off as soon as you restart the car) nothing came up for codes.

- Glen Burnie, MD, USA

Jan 072011

Flex

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Flex. The contact stated that whenever shifting into reverse, the transmission would jerk violently. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer six times for the same failure. The technician detected a trouble code and an unknown repair was performed on the transmission. The malfunction recurred after the repair. The vehicle taken back to the dealer for further repairs. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Jun 212011

Flex

Our Ford Flex came to a stop, (engine did not shut off) from approx. 10 mph, without the driver, my wife, applying the brakes, in a mall parking lot. She shut it off and started it again. It drove fine. Since we have had brake issues with the Flex before, we immediatly took the Flex to the dealer. The dealer said they could find nothing wrong, even driving it "20 miles" around town to replicate any problem. They also said they contacted Ford for any suggestions. We picked the car up two days later and my wife & daughter drove the car 350 miles to visit relatives. While on this trip, the car stalled, engine quit, in traffic at about 15 mph. This happened right after filling the Flex with fuel. The car started again and was taken to the local Ford dealer, where they found nothing wrong. We have had many brake issues as well with this vehicle. The rear brakes smoke from self application (the parking brake was not on), enough smoke that other drivers have waved us down on the road thinking the Flex's brakes were on fire. We have had the rear rotors and calipers replaced at 15,300 miles (under warranty) do to extremely quick wear. The rear brakes have smoked again since this replacement. I'm beginning to think these problems are related in the ABS/traction control/stablity control system. Of course, the dealer, and apparently Ford, say there is nothing wrong. The transmission clunks ("nothing wrong") and is reluctant to downshift (safety factor when in traffic), the front brakes are making that grinding noise other owners have complained about, and trim pieces fall off the car. This is my wife's vehicle to Transport kids in and we are extremely frustrated with our Flex and feel this "family car" is unsafe. We are considering California's "lemon law" if Ford and their dealers don't acknowlede that the Ford Flex has some serious problems.

- Glendale, CA, USA

Jul 152009

Flex

1) driving at steady speed. 2) let up on gas pedal and car did not slow down. Occurred twice in three times that vehicle was borrowed from a friend; one time with a witness. 3) pulled my foot completely off floor and applied brake; problem (in my opinion) is poor pedal orientation which leads one to believe that gas pedal is no longer pushed when one just lets up on pressure on gas pedal, along with too lite of pedal return pressure. Have been told Ford is aware of this but feels it only happens if someone is wearing big and heavy work boots. My incidents happened with running shoes...and I only wear a size 10.

- Plymouth, MI, USA