2013 Ford Flex miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Flex:

2013 Ford Flex Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 012016

Twice the door ajar light was stuck on. The first time it was the passenger rear door and was fixed under warranty. The second time it was the passenger front door that I had to pay for at my Ford dealer this past August to the tune of $ $280. Both times the interior light stayed on and also the car alarm would start itself. Now I was told by my mechanic that my battery is shot. I wonder why? I also own a 2013 C-max part of the latch recall.

- Monterey, CA, USA

Oct 122015

Our Ford vehicle has a broken door latch that has not been included in the recall. Our door ajar light is constantly on and we never know if our door is safely closed or not. Thus far, all Ford representatives have not been helpful. The dealership said it's the same problem and to contact customer service. Customer service just told me that if my vehicle isn't recalled then I should fix it and keep my receipt. I find it hard to believe that it's a coincidence that my vehicle has the same problem as over a million+ other Ford vehicles. What steps do I take to get my vehicle added to the recall? this started months ago (probably almost a year ago) we thought maybe a sensor was off but the problem kept getting worse and once a recall was issued the problem made sense. Can you please help me?

- Lino Lakes, MN, USA

Sep 082016

Due to a faulty door sensor on my front door indicates that the door is ajar, I am unable to lock my car doors as a result. My 3 year old daughter opened the door while the vehicle was moving and almost fell out.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Feb 092016

Rear door sensors do not confirm that the rear doors are closed and will not signal doors to lock when vehicle is in gear, creating the potential for a door to be opened inadvertently while in motion. Also related, because the doors are constantly reading ajar, the interior courtesy lights will come on with the doors shut and will run down the battery. Ford has not made a repair available

- Edmond, OK, USA

Jun 292016

2013 Ford Focus titanium which has a broken pawl spring tab, which typically results in a condition where the door will not latch. I was driving down the road as my driver side front door opened and I was unable to shut my door. I have filed a complaint with Ford corporate, peoria Ford, jones Ford, national highway safety administration, contacted a local news reporter who did an article on the same car as mine which Ford ended up paying for after the article was made public, better business bureau, and several other reports made. I have a claim with Ford corporate however they are denying any internal assistance for fixing this repair due to it being a defective part however not included in the recall currently as 2013 Ford Fusion and 2013 Ford fiesta is being listed with the same exact problem. I have been told that to get this fixed I should have had the extended warranty or would have to pay between $500 to $600 to get this defective part fixed or risk injury due to the door not being secured properly. The dealership tried to force me to sign a waiver stating that Ford was not liable if anything should happen while driving my car which I refused to sign. This needs to be fixed and if / when something happens as a result of this issue Ford will be held responsible for more then just the defective part.

- El Mirage, AZ, USA

Jul 042016

Several door latch sensors malfunctioning. They state "door ajar" when doors are closed. Prevents doors from locking while operating vehicle.

- Rockwall, TX, USA

Jun 022016

The sensor on the passage side front door, is saying ( passage side door ajar. I tried closing the door several times, but it still says passage side door ajar!

- Detroit, MI, USA

May 102016

Door ajar alarm is on with door shut. Which will not allow doors to lock, being a major safety problem when you have childern. Also causes the interior light to stay on, which is not good on the battery.

- Chattanooga, TN, USA

Feb 152015

Door ajar sensors. The dash board cluster indicates that car doors are open ( ajar ) when they are not. This causes interior lights to stay until the car is driven, alarm to sound at night, which at times drains my battery. Auto door locks do not work. I reported this once before, here and to Ford customer service, not sure of the date, but in 2015 no response!!

- Clinton, MD, USA

Feb 162016

Door ajar sensor on passenger door will not reset. Even when the door is closed properly.

- Hiram, GA, USA

Feb 022016

Door sensor working intermittently on passenger side. Especially when cold outside, passenger door is closed but car thinks it is open, will not allow automatically locking of doors, which represents a safety hazard. Doors can be locked manually but all doors remain unlocked or spring unlocked when "door lock" switch is pressed.

- Bellmore, NY, USA

Feb 012016

The door ajar light comes on for the driver's door even when the door is shut. All times of day, all weather. Will turn on while car is in motion. Will prevent electric start from working, will prevent doors from locking automatically, will cause interior lights to stay on. We have found hundreds of posts about the same problem. This problem was already noted on other Ford models and a recall was issued. The same problem is on this car. There is a plastic latch in the door which is enabled when the door is shut but because the tolerances are off on the receiving latch the system believes the door is open even when it is properly closed. The dealership is willing to fix the problem... for $500. This is a known problem on other Ford models using the same parts. The recall should include all cars with this system.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Jan 112016

Takata recall, door latch on driver door is failing, door ajar comes on the dash and keeps the dome lights on, issue will occur before and after the vehicle starts moving.

- Sealy, TX, USA

Oct 012015

Door latch assembly and sensor. I have replace 2 already within 1 yr and now needing to replace another one. This is ridiculous. I am out of warranty because of my miles not because of the year of the vehicle.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Oct 222015

The car started smoking from the engine compartment which the battery was leaking acid from the terminal. This happened while in motion and stationary. The dealership said it was not covered under extended warranty which I thought I was given bumper to bumper warranty. Passenger door sensor may be the cause. From no clear connection.

- Oceanside, CA, USA

Sep 292015

Recently, when driving car suddenly feels as though it shifts to neutral, while driving down a busy highway. I coasted to a parking lot off of the service road, turned car off and restarted. This has happened at least twice lately. For months I have dealt with doors showing ajar, even when closed. Inside lights stay on... and alarm sounds often. First it was the passenger door, now the driver door and right rear passenger door constantly say ajar. Alarm sounds in the middle of the night. It has become necessary to disconnect battery cable every night in order for this not to happen. Recently had to purchase new battery. Passenger door was repaired at no cost to me... but dealerships want to charge me $1000 to repair door latches on driver door and rear passenger door, which on a 2013 vehicle is ridiculous. This obviously is an ongoing issue that needs to be addressed by Ford... and soon!

- Rainsville, AL, USA

Feb 022015

I have a 2013 Ford Flex sel with 60K+ miles originally purchased with 13K miles in 2013. I have had major problems with my door latch. I have had issues with all doors with the exception of my left back door. I have had this issue looked at multiple times at the Ford dealership with most recently this past weekend. The mechanic attempted to clean my door latches on the passenger side (front and back) doors and the light went off for about 2 hours. This is a major safety issue. I am unable to lock my doors. I have to manually look each door by rolling down my windows and getting out and manually pushing down the lock. However, while driving my door ajar light will come back on as well as my inside lights, my doors will automatically unlock. I can't turn my alarm on and 75% of the time leave my doors unlocked. I assume my door is prompted as if someone is trying to open my door when my car is off which in return causes my alarm to go off. It has been many times when I have went to the parking garage and my lights are flashing, or I get a call that my alarm is going off, or I am awakened/startled in my house when it goes off in the garage. My concern and fear is that someone will open my door while im driving/stopped at a stop sign or red light. I have already replaced my battery and I'm sure it was due to my alarms constatnly going off or dome light/dash board coming on according to my local Ford dealership it is a long wait on the new and improved replacement latch. I have scheduledto take my car back yet again next Monday to see if I can get on the list for a new latch. I am very displeased with how Ford is handling this issue. I called them today to see if they could give me steps on how to override the door locks with no success. Iwas told to get it repaired and if they decide to recall I'll get a refund!

- Chattanooga, TN, USA

May 212014

My front door sensor has gone out for the second time in 1 year. It is very annoying and should be replaced by Ford if this is a none issue.

- Spring Branch, TX, USA

Apr 072014

The driver side door does not lock. The mechanism that recognizes that the driver side door is closed doesn't work. When the car is turned on and subsequently when the vehicle comes to a stop or very slow speed (like a stop sign or light) the alarm sounds again (a pinging sound with a visual alert that the door is open with an message to shift to park). However, no matter how many times the door is opened and shut, the alarm doesn't go off. This means that doors do not automatically lock when the car is put into gear. When the vehicle attempts to automatically lock the doors when the car is put into gear, the lock immediately snaps back up because of the door warning. Even manually locking the door doesn't work because of the alarm. This is a safety concern both when driving but also when stationary. I want to be able to lock my car doors in the event there are safety concerns nearby so that no one can get into the car while we are in a parking lot or at a light. I mentioned this to the Ford dealer while the car was still under warranty but they said they would charge $300 just to look at it.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Feb 022015

The front passenger door ajar warning began showing while I was sitting in my driveway and the door has not been touched in fact there was not even a passenger in my vehicle. I tried opening and shutting the door several times and when this problem began and for about the first month the warning would reset. Since then the warning is present approximately 70% of the time. When the door ajar morning is active the interior lights stay on at low speed and regardless of speed you're unable to lock the doors. These issues are when the door ajar morning is active the interior lights stay on at low speed and regardless of speed you're unable to lock the doors which cause obvious safety and security issues as well as the added danger of not being aware of an actual door ajar. I took my Flex to summerville Ford and they acknowledge being aware of multiple Ford models with the same issue, apologized for not being able to fix the issue without my paying for it.

- Summerville, SC, USA