7.4

2013 Ford Focus Electric electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Focus Electric:

2013 Ford Focus Electric Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

May 062016

Focus Electric

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus electric. While driving various speeds, the vehicle stalled and the "stop safely now" warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle stalled. The failure occurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer twice for diagnostic testing; however, the cause of the failure could not be determined. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 18,000.

- San Mateo, CA, USA

Sep 102013

Focus Electric

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus electric. While driving approximately 55 mph, the warning lights on the instrument panel illuminated and the screen displayed "pull over". the contact pulled the vehicle over to the side of the road to recharge the battery. A mechanic replaced the 12 volt battery; however, the failure recurred multiple times. The failure was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 900.

- Rochester, MN, USA

Aug 182015

Focus Electric

While driving the vehicle, a loud chime sounded, with a red triangle saying, "stop safely now" as well as a yellow "see manual" indication. This was very dangerous because it was sudden and while driving. The car lost all power and I had to attempt to pull of the street so I wouldn't cause an accident. I shifted to park and turned the car off and back on and it resolved the issue. However, 2 days later the same problem occurred but this time I was unable to restart the vehicle and needed to tow the car to the dealership.

- Lincoln Park , MI, USA

Jan 212015

Focus Electric

While traveling down the freeway, decelerating to change lanes the stop safely now message appeared and the car lost power. This is a re-occurrence and the dealer is working to resolve it.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Oct 072014

Focus Electric

The 2013 Ford Focus electric stops suddenly with a "stop safely now" warning, the car is disabled by this warning. The message is given while driving and the car is disabled. The car can be restarted and driven. It is extremely unsafe the car to be disabled while driving. Ford has attempted to repair the car, but the issue has continued.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Dec 032013

Focus Electric

Around August, began taking Focus to dealership because we went from 85 miles to a charge, to 48 miles. Then, we started getting "stop safely" messages. The Focus has been to the dealership now 4 times, for a total of over 60 days, over 80 hours of labor. We reprogrammed PCM and other modules, have cleaned every wire possible, recall 13S09, loose pin fits at connectors C175B, and C1822B, one time, we picked it up after 2 days, drove it downtown (23 miles) and on the return trip, it did it again. I managed to have it happen twice in 6 miles. Car just dies. Been at dealership over a month, and now that they can't duplicate it, Ford wants me to take it back. I think this is a problem that could lead to serious injury.

- Eden, NY, USA

Feb 282013

Focus Electric

Car has problems with the uncoupling the engine from the power train rolled down hill not engaged scary at Ford couldn't fix so they called specialist who took it apart and put it back together test drive 20 miles would not turn off! still at shop expert to return and try again taking apart car and then doing test drive again. Children and lil people to Transport!

- Highland Park, NJ, USA

Nov 122012

Focus Electric

The car wouldn't start (electric car). A instrument panel message said see owners manual along with red exclamation mark showed. Had to be towed to dealer. Was diagnosed at first with a bad high voltage battery. They ordered one ($25,000 battery). One week into waiting, Ford (factory) said its not the battery and ordered a ground cable from the high voltage to the electric drive motor. It took 27 business days to get the vehicle repaired. Another visit, in Sept. 2012 the cars interior heater failed. They took 7 business day to order and replace the electric coolant heater pump.

- Wayzata, MN, USA

Feb 152014

Focus Electric

While driving I lost the ability to accelerate the vehicle as I approached an incline in the road and a "stop safely now" and "see manual" warning light appeared on the dash. I activated the hazard lights and pulled over into the bike lane. I shut off the car, opened the door and was able to restart the car after several failed attempts. Approximately 5 minutes later, I successfully restarted the car and drove back home, only the car lost the ability to accelerate again as I came through a major intersection. This time the warning signs were not activated until I had coasted to a stop. Then the same "stop safely now" and "see manual" warning light appeared on the dash. I placed the car in park and walked a mile home. The powertrain control module reprogram was completed by Ford in September of 2013. This is the 7th occurrence since the PCM has been reprogrammed by Ford. My safety has been repeatedly compromised and I no longer have confidence in this car nor Ford as they are unable to fix the problem and are unwilling to take responsibility. Please refer to my previous complaint filed prior to the PCM reprogramming and official recall notice.

- San Marcos, CA, USA

Nov 072013

Focus Electric

Driving our electric Ford Focus to work when left-most display screen flashes, "stop safely now!" message at the same moment that all drive power is completely cut off. Coasted to a stop, turned the car off, waited a minute or so, and turned car back on. Fortunately this occurred at 5:30 am on a two lane road, shortly after leaving my home, and before entering the interstate.

- Glen Burnie, MD, USA

Oct 252013

Focus Electric

I previously reported to the NHTSA two previous occasions that this car suddenly lost power and came to an abrupt stop. The same fault occurred on 10/25/13. I have contacted albany Ford of California and the car will be flat bedded back to them tomorrow for further attention. After the previous occasion they had this car to correct this fault, no parts were replaced or repaired but codes were downloaded and a diagnostic test was performed. Obviously this did not cure the problem. I filled out a form on the Ford owner web site yesterday and have had an acknowledgement by E-mail. This is an obvious safety problem which was not adequately addressed previously.

- Fairfax, CA, USA

Sep 222013

Focus Electric

The engine shut down with a 'stop safely now' warning. Since it was the first time it happened, it was not clear what happened, so I came to stop in middle of the road. This has happened a total of 5 times now..with two events within a mile of each other yesterday 10/26. Yesterday the first event was at 40 mph again in the middle of the road (luckily not very busy at the time) and I was able to pull over to side of the road. The other two times, it happened while backing out of the driveway onto the road.

- Tabernacle, NJ, USA

Oct 252013

Focus Electric

While braking for a stop sign, there was a thud, the stop safely now light came on, and the car stopped immediately. It would not re-start. I pushed it to the side and called for a tow. It is now at the Ford dealer. This is the third incident of this kind and the second time I have taken it to the dealer and reported the incident to NHTSA.

- Palm Springs, CA, USA

Oct 182013

Focus Electric

My vehicle displayed a "stop safely now" warning during my normal morning commute. The warning was preceded by a failure of the radio portion of the sync system. I briefly turned off the vehicle at a usual stop on my route and upon turning it on, the radio volume, power and tuning were all unresponsive. I attempted to reset the vehicle at the next traffic light by powering down and opening the door, but the radio remained on even after the vehicle was off and the door was opened. I attempted this several more times at each successive traffic light and the radio would not shut off. After one such reset, the stop safely now warning was displayed on the dash. I was stopped at a traffic light at the time and was able to reset the vehicle and safely enter a parking lot and wait for a tow - with the radio still on. My local Ford dealer waited three days to diagnose the issue and unsurprisingly determined it was caused by a defective/dead 12 V battery and replaced the battery. Software was also updated. Upon returning home and attempting to charge, my vehicle displayed a high voltage system fault and had to be towed to the dealer again. The dealer said this fault was caused by a loose connection on a terminal block on the electric motor that was used to signal battery capacity to the on-board computer.

- Hillsborough, NJ, USA

Oct 072013

Focus Electric

I have received a "stop safely now" warning twice in the past week while drive my Ford Focus electric. When this has happened I've lost all acceleration, and one of the times I lost the ability to steer and break. Both times that this has happened the car battery was near fully charged. --------------------------------- 1st occurrence was on Oct 7th 2013 while slowing down to approach a stop sign, I heard beeping and received the "stop safely now" warning on the screen and immediately the car lost power (the dashboard still had power). I lost the ability to steer, break and accelerate. Thankfully I was already coming to a stop (for the stop sign) and was under 5mph. The car rolled to a stop, I was unable to turn the car back on until I opened the driver's door (this caused the dashboard to power off), after this I was able to power the car back on and continue driving. ------------------------------------- 2nd occurrence was on Oct 16th 2013 while driving 65mph on the freeway, I heard beeping and received the "stop safely now" warning on the screen and immediately the car lost power (the dashboard still had power), this time I was still able to steer and break but had no acceleration. Thankfully there was a freeway exit close by, and the car had enough momentum that I was able to roll down the exit ramp and to the shoulder of the feeder road. The car would not restart, I had to open the driver side door for the car to power down all the way. I was than able to power the car back on and keep driving. ------------------------------------- I have taken the car to the Ford service dept (on Oct 17th); at this time they are telling me that they have not found an issue.

- Katy, TX, USA

Oct 172013

Focus Electric

I was driving and the car started beeping, and flashed up an warning 'safely stop now'. I immediately pulled the car over to the shoulder, and hit the off button. The engine shut off, but the error did not go away, I could navigate around the computer a bit, and it showed a 'warning' but would not let me see what the warning was. When I opened the car door, none of the accessory power shut off like it should. I got out of the car (removing the key) and locked the car. Still all of the accessory power stayed on. I got back in, and tried to start the car, and it would not start, and flashed the message 'safely stop now' repeatedly. I called roadside assistance, and they sent a tow truck. The accessory power said on for the entire hour I waited, by the time they got there, I got back into the car and it let me start it. It ran all the way to the dealership without any issue (3 miles). So far, the dealership is clueless on what to do.

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA

May 142013

Focus Electric

Stop safely now- car asked me to stop safely now while driving and I pulled over. At that point, it did not restart. Has happened 4 other times with my wife and 4 kids in the car while traveling at speed. Very unsafe and have reported to Ford. Has been in shop for over 30 days and they are executing a buy-back, but with all these other cars on the road, it can be extremely dangerous as you lose all control with an electric car. Needs to be investigated and Ford needs to fix the problem by finding a root cause.

- Newbury Park, CA, USA

Oct 092013

Focus Electric

I was in a parking lot half way through my turn to pull into a parking spot when the car stopped and read "stop safely now". I could not restart the car. Then (after a few minutes) some nice man asked if I needed a push. He pushed my car into the parking space and then I was able to reboot the car and after that everything was fine. That was the second time this has happened. The first time it happened I was going about 35 to 45 mph and got the "stop safely now" warning and after about 10 or 15 seconds of coasting it rebooted with no problems.

- Chester Springs, PA, USA

Apr 082013

Focus Electric

On at least 8 separate occasions, while driving my car all of sudden and out of the blue it displays a "stop safely now" warning on the dashboard and then completely loses all power to the drivetrain as soon as it slows to down to approx. 5mph. Fortunately, I've not been killed yet as a result of this. The car has been to the Ford dealer 2 times since the first occurrence in April to "fix" the problem and is currently there again after it most recently happened on Sept 24, 2013. It's now been at the dealer for nearly two weeks and they are still trying to figure it out.

- Lafayette, CA, USA

Sep 062013

Focus Electric

Driving the vehicle home when warning lights began to flash on the dash saying to check owners manual and to pull over. The gas pedal became unresponsive and I coasted up to a red light at a left turn signal and stopped, put on my hazard lights. Eventually turned vehicle off then on again and was able to drive it home. Second incident was on 9/29/13, and had 2863 miles on it. While driving to dinner the same warning lights appeared on dash, and we lost power. Thankfully not a lot of high speed traffic and I was able to pull over somewhere safe to turn off the car and turn it back on again to get it restarted. When we returned home from the second incident I plugged in the car to charge it so we could take it back to Ford for service, however the car didn't register the plug. Tried plugging it in and unplugging it from the wall then putting everything back in to try and get it to charge. It wasn't until I opened the driver side door then shut it that it finally registered that it was plugged in. During both incidents the vehicle became completely unresponsive, essentially dead in the water, and unless you can put it in park you can't restart it. Have taken the vehicle to Ford on three separate occasions to have them fix this issue, as well as for an issue with the on-board charging system faulting, causing the vehicle to not charge fully.

- San Marcos, CA, USA