2005 Ford Freestar miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Freestar:

2005 Ford Freestar Owner Comments

Jul 072016

Takata recall - 2005 Ford Freestar van 135,000 miles..... transmission failure 3 (March 2012) (July 2007) times in 11 years. Recall issued for same exact van built at other plant but does not cover my van. I don't understand this as Ford says that they use the same parts at all locations. Was driving vehicle and lost all power (breaks, steering ect.). have almost wrecked multiple times due to this issue. We have contacted Ford and have only been told how sorry they are that we are having problems. Dealership service manager accused us of said vehicle in area with lost of water.

- Clayton, GA, USA

Dec 012015

I am not sure where the problem lies but we suspect it may be electrical. We have had the fuel pump, fuel filter replaced, and the PCM cleaned and dried out but the van is still making a squealing noise and dies without notice, most often in the middle of a turn or at a stop light or sign. The squealing starts when you turn the van on, then will stop and start again randomly. Usually soon after it will just die. So far it has always restarted but it seems to be getting worse. We are afraid to drive it very far for fear it will die in traffic or in the middle of an intersection with oncoming traffic.

- Pryor, OK, USA

Jun 192015

I was driving on an inclined off ramp towards my destination. My car once it got to the top of the incline began to slow down and the rpms were excelerating and all of a sudden my car came to a stop I was then spooked so I turned my car off and then turned it back on and it was making a loud revving sound and wouldnt go into any gears.. so now my car is just stuck and I topped off all of my fluids.. I really dont know what to do.. im a mother of two and also a fulltime employee.. and I really cant be with out a vehicle!! help!!

- Chanute, KS, USA

Nov 072011

Our 2005 Freestar minivan would stall and shut down the engine with no warning. We purchased this van in 2005 from our local Ford dealership. The first time it happened, my wife was driving the vehicle and had pulled into an intersection when it stalled, she was fortunate that she was not involved in an accident. The van would not stay running when you put into gear and had no reverse gear. We took it to a local garage and found out the PCM had gotten wet and that there was a tsb issued for this vehicle as it was a common occurrence in this model. The mechanic dried out the PCM, re-sealed the area per the tsb and we were back on the road. This was in August 2010 so the van was only 5 years old. Four months later it happened again that the van shut down for the same reason. The garage re-did the work and verified the area was sealed off. Five months later, it happened again so water has obviously been able to get back in there. We took it back to our local Ford mechanic and they re-sealed the area after drying out the PCM, and 3 months later we were in the same situation. We have now replaced the PCM with a new one, but I have no faith that the water problem is gone. Each time the PCM fails, the van will shut down leaving you without power steering and brakes. Each time we have gotten lucky that there was no accident and that we were within our hometown so we could have the van towed to the garage. This is a family van that at any time one of our children could be driving when this problem occurs, and with them not having as much driving experience as my wife and myself, the potential for an accident is greatly increased. We have been very fortunate not to have been in any accidents so far, only the expenses, but I don't want to keep saying "I'm glad we weren't pulling out into traffic when that happened." It is very possible that it could happen the next time.

- Elkhart, IN, USA

Apr 202011

I, along with my disabled father and 3 yr old daughter, were traveling on hwy 41 traveling approximately 55 mph when I tried to pass someone and my van lost complete acceleration power. I had to get back into the lane and coast to a safe area to stop and leave my van. We were surrounded by cars traveling in speeds of 60mph + and could of easily been injured! there were absolutely no warnings of any problems. The van just simply lost complete power. Now I am left with getting my van towed and having repairs made which are likely to cost several thousand dollars! why is this not on recall yet??

- Evansville, IN, USA

Jul 192009

Freestar 6-cyl

I was driving my 2005 Ford Freestar SE w/3.9L V6 engine on mi hwy M-29 just North of algonac, Michigan. I was driving about 45 mph, and at one point, I was pressing the accelerator and the van was slowing down. I coasted over to the shoulder and stopped my Freestar safely, without any damage to property. I tried shifting into reverse, but no engagement of the transmission took place. There was also no engagement in forward gears 1 or 3. I was "found off road dead". :-) I had van towed home to saint clair shores (37 miles) at a cost of $50 to allstate road service and $116.25 out-of-my-pocket. I had my van towed again (covered under allstate's $50 limit) to my selling dealer, roy O'brien Ford, also in saint clair shores. I was informed late the next day that to diagnose the problem would cost $850. Then the tech gave more info to my service writer that he thought the torque converter splines were stripped. Revised estimate was $1525 to remove the transmission, pull the torque converter and replace same and reinstall the transmission. The transmission pan was "dropped' for examination, screen and gasket change, and new trans fluid was added to fill the system again. Actual outlay today was $1524.72. I had no warning that I was about to lose power to the wheels. I'm glad I was on a quiet semi-rural road with homes around. One homeowner checked on my wife and I to see if we were ok. He even offered to let me use his lavatory. At least there is some kindness left. The phone call to allstate was exasperating, as the call center staffer was using a paper map of Michigan and had no idea where we were. Being stuck on a Sunday evening after business hours could have been very eerie. Everything turned out ok, but at a substantial cost.

- Saint Clair Shores, MI, USA