2006 Ford Freestar drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Freestar:

2006 Ford Freestar Owner Comments (Page 3 of 9)

Sep 022014

Freestar 6-cyl

I was driving down a country road and had just dropped my kids off thank goodness. Nothing seemed to be wrong when all of a sudden the engine revved high. I was try'N to look to see what was go'N on when I wrecked into the ditch about 60mph. Out of nowhere the transmission failed and was stuck N a ditch and no one to help.

- Kenova, WV, USA

Sep 012014

Freestar 6-cyl

Engine running and vehicle moving. All of a sudden rpms go up to 3000+ and vehicle is coasting. No power to drive wheels. Coasted to a safe place. Luckily, we weren't on the interstate yet. Vehicle acted as in neutral. No movement in reverse or drive. Had it towed to mechanic and he is 99% sure that the torque converter is the problem. 2004 and 2005 have been recalled for this same problem. Maybe Ford should include the 2006's? bought this vehicle new and have never had a problem. Have had only Ford since 1987, and no problems with any of them. Might be rethinking my next purchase.

- Aiken, SC, USA

Aug 142014

Freestar 6-cyl

Accelerating from stop light, acceleration stopped while engine continued at same RPM. No prior indication of potential problem. Car rolled to a stop in center lane of road. Put on flashers, put car in park (car started to roll) and engaged parking brake. Police and tow truck called. Pushed car out of traffic lane. Very fortunate this occurred during a light traffic time or a rear end collision to my car could have resulted. Car towed to dealer for evaluation and repair. Dealer diagnosed torque converter or transmission failure. Torque converter replaced.

- Marlton, NJ, USA

Aug 022014

Freestar

Stopped at a stop sign pulled off and van acted like it went into neutral gave it gas all it does is the rpms go up the van does not move. It will not move in any gear. It gave us no warning it was working just fine.very disappointed.

- Geneva, AL, USA

Jun 072014

Freestar 6-cyl

Accelerated away from a stop sign within a walmart parking lot and after about fifteen feet the vehicle began to slow down while depressing the accelerator. Attempted to accelerate and the RPM's went up with no propulsion. Allowed vehicle to stop then pushed in a parking space. There was never any indication that the transmission would fail via warning light nor was there a noise/bang/clunk etc associated. Vehicle just stopped accelerating. Had vehicle towed to shop and they said there were no codes indicating the failure and a transmission rebuild would be in order for $2000.

- Pasadena, TX, USA

Jul 142014

Freestar 6-cyl

Water intrusion from the cowl shorted out the PCM and led to premature failure of torque converter. Ford had a tsb on the water issue but never recalled and now that has led me to having big money spent on repairs that I feel Ford should correct and pay for!

- Hamilton, OH, USA

Jun 292014

Freestar 6-cyl

We were driving in the middle of no where with my family (2 children - 9mos and 3 years old) in the back seat and out of no where the van will not go forward and will not go back. It was like it was simply thrown into neutral. We had to wait over an hour on the side of the road with my small children to get a tow truck as well as wait for someone to come get us! the van was driving just fine, no issues, no warning the transmission just failed.

- Weston, MO, USA

Jun 222014

Freestar 6-cyl

On returning home from an errand in our 2006 Freestar, my son attempted to put the gear into drive, but vehicle would not move into forward, nor backwards in reverse gear. This occurred suddenly without any warning. The car was then towed to porter Ford in newark, Delaware and it is my understanding from the service department the transmission simply failed. After some research, I found this to be a very common characteristic of 4F50N transmission failures and there are an abundance of published complaints. Had our transmission failed in a tunnel or on bridge, it could have been catastrophic possibly triggering a major pile up. Clearly such a failure presents a risk to motor vehicle safety. In 2012 Ford Motor Company submitted a defect information report affecting the 2004 and 2005 Freestar (NHTSA action number EA09016). It is regarding a defect in the performance of the 4F50N transmission. This same transmission is also in 2006 and 2007. Why is this action not extended to other vehicles with this defective transmission?

- Newark, DE, USA

Jun 292014

Freestar 6-cyl

I have a 2006 Ford Freestar. I was driving down the interstate with my three children in the back driving about 75 mph, started to go uphill and all of a sudden the van acted like it was in neutral and wouldn't go when I gave it gas. The interstate was extremely packed and I'm sitting in a van with my kids ages 3-12 and my van is almost stopping. It was very hard to get it off the road and it was very scary! I was about 2 hours from home with no money for a tow truck, so I turned it off and waited a few minutes, and started it back up. It was still jerking and not catching gears on the way home. Was about 20 minutes away from home when the wrench light came on and it started doing it again. Made it home, got online and started looking up what might be wrong and found hundreds and hundreds of complaints about this van. It is the torque converter going out. Ford has a recall on the 2004 and 2005, and even thought the transmissions are the same and the issue is the same, they won't do a recall on the 2006. Is it going to take someone getting killed for them tpo issue a recall"??"

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Jun 222014

Freestar 6-cyl

While out of town on an extended business trip, my older kids used our 2006 Freestar to get around town. On June 22, 2014, my son dropped off his sister across town and when he attempted to put the gear into drive, vehicle would not go into forward nor backwards in reverse gear, it was simply stuck on the side of the road.this occurred without any warning. The car was then towed to a Ford dealer and they stated the transmission failed. After some research, I found this problem is a very common occurrence for this transmission and there are an abundance of published complaints. Had our transmission failed in a tunnel or on a bridge, it could have been catastrophic possibly triggering a major pile up. This transmission is a potential death trap. In 2012 Ford Motor Company submitted a defect information report affecting the 2004 and 2005 Freestar and monterey minivans (NHTSA action number EA09016). It is regarding a defect in the performance of the 4F50N transmission. However 2006 and 2007 also has this same transmission. Why is this action not extended to these newer models?

- Newark, DE, USA

Aug 052013

Freestar 6-cyl

After stopping at a stop sign, I accelerated to proceed, and as my vehicle started to go it just as quickly died. With traffic behind me and coming at me from the left and right, I was lucky enough that those cars were able to stop in time and not broadside me or rear end me, and I was able to coast to the side of the road. Long story short, it was the torque converter! I see that there was a recall on the 04 and 05 models but not the 2006. Having researched thoroughly online for this problem, clearly, mine is not an isolated incident, as there are numerous other 2006 Ford Freestar owners who have experienced the same torque converter failure between 120K and 150K miles, complaints stated in many Ford forums and other internet venues. Of the 75+ I read, about 50% had registered a complaint about the torque converter failure in the 06 Freestars with NHTSA. Clearly, Ford needs to address this problem in the 2006 as well. Thank you for taking the time to read my info and complaint?? and for your prompt response.

- Britton, MI, USA

Apr 302014

Freestar 6-cyl

While traveling on the highway on a curve we lost all power to the wheels. The engine would rev but the vehicle would not. We ended up coasting to a stop in the middle of traffic. This caused several cars behind us to lock U their brakes and two of them collided. We were lucky in that a nice person had a tow strap and pulled us out of the road and to the off ramp. My wife and I and our 4 year old son was in the vehicle at the time and we all could have been killed. The vehicle was towed to the dealer who informed us that the 2004 and 2005 Freestars had been recalled for the torque converter splines which will strip and cause loss of power. Our vehicle however has not been recalled and in addition to almost dying we paid $1918.32 to have the vehicle repaired! and we were without a car for almost a month. This defect is going to kill someone it is only a matter of time! I don't understand why it gets fixed in the earlier models but the owners of the 2006 are stuck with the possible death trap.

- Wilder, VT, USA

Jun 012014

Freestar 6-cyl

I was driving with my wife and 4 small children. We had just crossed a 4 lane highway, and just crested a hill, when I immediately lost power. The engine revved and the tachometer shot up. We were on a small 2 lane highway with a very small shoulder. It was extremely dangerous, as vehicles were coming over the hill, and we were still slightly on the road. I had it towed to a shop, and they explained it was the torque converter. I did some research and discovered that Ford recalled the torque converter in the 2004 & 2005 Ford Freestars due to safety. I also discovered that the 2006 Freestars used the same torque converter. I don't understand how the same torque converter used in the 2004, 2005 & 2006, but the 2006 is not a safety issue. I called Ford and the "customer service reps" were extremely unhelpful and rude. They couldn't explain to me the why this was not included in the recall, and when she couldn't answer me, she hung up on me. Unbelievable.

- Bellevue, IA, USA

Apr 112014

Freestar

I was travelling on interstate when there was a sudden loss of motive power with out any warning. Sudden loss of power to the drivetrain increased the risk of an accdent.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

Apr 142014

Freestar 6-cyl

As I was pulling out into traffic then accelerating the vehicle all of a sudden just wouldn't move almost hit by several cars N having 5kids plus now a premie due in a few weeks due to high risk it is a huge issue! due to the torque converter failure & being a Ford owner since 16 yrs old as well as working for them this is an even bigger issue for me!!

- Yorkville , IL, USA

Mar 142014

Freestar 6-cyl

My family had stopped to let pedestrians cross and when my husband pushed the gas pedal down to accelerate but it did not in gauge the drive. The van acted as if it was in neutral. The only gear that worked was reverse. I looked on-line to find that the Freestar '04 and '05 where both recalled for the same problem. Ford should take responsibility and issue a recall. My family( 4 children all under 5 years old) was lucky that it happened in a safe area. We where on our way home which requires us to use the freeway. I thank god we where not on the freeway, it could have been a different out come.

- Kalama, WA, USA

Dec 112013

Freestar

Driving on the interstate and the van started to jerk and lose power. If the previous 3 years of the van are recalled for the transmission. And mine went out does the recall need to be expanded? based on some google searches alot of people have lost there transmission do to the torque converter.

- Nashport, OH, USA

Aug 012013

Freestar

I was accelerating down the street at approximately 35 miles an hour in a 55mph zone. When all of a sudden it was like the transmission was thrown in neutral. When the vehicle slowed down so fast with no power, I was almost rearended by a vehicle from behind traveling at approx 55 mph. When I coasted to a stop the vechile would not go forward or backward. I havine been driving Ford for 46 years and never had a transmission to go out on me. I could have been hurt if rearended. It cost me over $3000 to have the transmission rebuilt. Ford should have a recall and pay me for the problem as the same failure is going on everywhere in the us. The 2005's had the same problem. Ford should be ashamed of there selfs for making the junk.

- Fremont, NC, USA

Dec 072013

Freestar 6-cyl

We stopped at stop sign, took off and went about 30 feet and it quit pulling. Luckily the car coming down the highway slowed down before he rearended us. We pushed it off the side of the road and had to call the wrecker to bring it home.

- Crooksville, OH, USA

Feb 032014

Freestar 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestar. The contact stated while driving approximately 25 mph the transmission failed. There were no warning indicator lights illuminated. The vehicle was towed to amoco. The mechanic diagnosed that the gear shift inside the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 84,000. Updated 05/28/14 updated 05/29/2014

- Williamsport, PA, USA