2006 Ford Freestar engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Freestar:

2006 Ford Freestar Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Dec 282006

Freestar 6-cyl

I bought the vehicle in Jan. 06, starter went 11 months later. Van has never started up correctly. It doesn't run smoothly. Runs rough when it rains. Found info online regarding water leaking into the PCM which can create misfires, shift late, engine can run rough. I have taken it back to echelon Ford several times. They still won't admit to it being a problem. Couldn't find a code. However, now that I am out of warranty, they were able to find a code. Ford are not backing up there product! there hundreds of complaints about these vehicles and nothing is being done! I have 1 year left to pay, and can't afford to make repairs that Ford should be fixing since it started when I had the original warranty...why will Ford not do something.." I have a wife who drives it with 4 kids. What are they waiting for, an accident...? what has to happen to get them to fix this problem on there vehicles. Ford is saying it's miss firing in cylinder 3. probably because of all the water that has effected the PCM, and the ignition coil pack & ignition wires needs to be replaced, why would need to be replaced in a 5 year old vehicle... is that getting wet too..." I am extremely tired of dealing with this van. It's not fair to have a company not stand behind there product. I have had it!

- Laurel Springs, NJ, USA

Aug 092010

Freestar 6-cyl

I was driving approximately 45 mph on busy highway, my Ford Freestar would no longer accelerate. Looking in the rear view mirror, there was smoke coming from my vehicle. The engine light came on after I noticed the smoke, then my thermostat went all the way from C to hot in a split second. No warning, car smoking and my brakes and gas was not working. I tried to pull over safely and get out of the vehicle quickly. My van was engulfed with smoke, an ambulance pulled over to assist me. The car fire was put out and towed to a Ford dealer. It was my transmission that blew. It was covered by warranty and fixed. I was told it was a bad transmission. One year and two weeks later, my Ford Freestar was not shifting gears, I was getting stuck, in reverse. When I shift to drive, it does not go forward. My car had to be towed again to the same Ford dealer. I was told my transmission was filled with water and the 1 year warranty I purchased the year before was shorted by two weeks. Ford would not honor my warranty due to it being over by 2 weeks time frame. So, I then purchased another transmission with another warranty. Now in 2012, a year later, my transmission that I purchased last year is doing the same thing, getting stuck in gears, when I accelerate, my Freestar jumps. Every time it rains, this car stalls. When I took to my mechanic, he says this is a horrible car. Poorly made and it should have been recalled. Apparently it stalls in the rain due to the sealing from Ford" why and how is this possible? this vehicle is a horrible safety problem. I am fortunate my children were not with me in the first car fire. When is Ford or the safety council going to investigate this car" so in my vehicle, Ford thinks there is nothing wrong with their customer having to replace a transmission 3 years in a row. No safety warnings or engine light warnings at all.

- Langhorne, PA, USA

Aug 012012

The van has been hard to start just recently past month it takes 4 turns of key to start, van dies while driving, battery has died. Took to Ford dealership and they cant find anything wrong at all. They had me replace, fuel pump / spark plugs and wires / fuel filter/ ignition coil / tps sensor / air intake idle sensor / cleaned and reprogrammed the PCM / made new ignition key / cleaned all ground connections / checked alternator / replaced battery / drained gas tank and added fuel cleaner / after all of this expense I still am having the exact same issues "????? any advice from anyone ?"/ thanks in advance.

- Crestview, FL, USA

Nov 042010

Freestar 6-cyl

1) sudden unexpected loss of power and all gears. Occurred while normally accelerating from a stop. Vehicle towed to Ford dealer. Dealer stated to replace entire transmission at cost of $2900 plus credit card interest. 2) sudden loss of power. Dealer replaced PCM at cost of $900. 3) powering steering fluid leak. 4) coolant leak. 5) persistent loss of air from wheel after replacing tire.

- Flovilla, GA, USA

May 262012

Driving down road city street (25 mph speed limit) on way home. Not raining outside. Temperature was about 85 degrees. Very high humidity. As approached intersection the vehicle suddenly shut itself off. Complete loss of power, power steering, and power breaking. Wife had trouble pulling over, but because were only going 20 mph at that point, we managed to pull over and stop car. We were only 2 blocks from home, so we restarted engine (which turned on without trouble) and drove home slowly (now with the check-engine light on). Dangerous situation, as it is incredibly difficult to control the vehicle without power steering or braking. If we had taken the interstate home instead of the way we went, we could have been driving at 70 mph onto an off ramp when it shut off. Very dangerous indeed.

- Iowa City, IA, USA