$2,800.00

2. machined a new input shaft (1 reports)
2005 Ford Freestyle transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Freestyle:

2005 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments

Jul 102013

Freestyle Limited 3.0L V6

• CVT transmission

I have a 2005 Ford Freestyle and i have 136,000 miles on this car, this car going on 2 years..I bought this car used and still making payments on this car for another year...I have problems with a loud humming noise coming from the CVT transmission and my AWD malfunction light stays on all the time now...And my car surges when going down hills...I am on permanent disability and i dont have the money to put into this problem that is fords fault..I did take the car to a transmission shop and they said that they cannot fix the problem cause they dont have the tools to fix it...I contacted ford and they said it was the sensor on the transmission that is going bad, and for the rest it would cost more money to check everything out..I dont get this cause Ford knows whats wrong but not fixing the problem...But all i know is there is 100's to 1000's of people that they said the same thing too..I was quoted close to $400 to do this...And up to $6000 for a new transmission..Now the humming noise is getting louder and all coming from the transmission...AWD malfunction light stays on and car surges down hills...Sounds and problems like that are never good..Im sure the tranny is gonna fail soon...Im not sure what i will do since i cannot afford this fix and a car payment on a broken car..FORD NEEDS TO FIX THIS THEY PUT OUT A FAULTY TRANNY ITS NOT FAIR THAT ALL OF US HAVE TO SUFFER

- , Puyallup, WA, USA

Jul 242012

Freestyle SEL V6

• CVT transmission

The noise at first was like a helicopter sound and was very noticeable when in park or coming to a stop, the Check transmission and Check Trac control lights where flashing. so as i was driving to transmission shop the AWD malfunction light came on. waiting for diagnosis from trans guy.

Update from Sep 7, 2012: The repair was to the input shaft and bearings, which has been reported that this is a common problem with this model year. regarding the Check Trac control light, the code was P1889 and the oil pressure/temperature sensor was replaced and the adjacent solenoid valve. and the throttle body was cleaned and computer needed to be reflashed. and three weeks in the shop. Ford should be ashamed for putting out such a lame product.

Update from Sep 12, 2012: the input shaft and bearings were replaced which fixed the problem, but had to clean the throttle body since the rpm's were fluctuating and then needed the computer reflashed, after that was fixed, the code P1889 appeared which is for the pressure sensor switch on the rear differential, but that didn't fix the AWD malfunction message. Need to get DEM (4x4 module) scanned. Good Job Ford

Update from Jan 3, 2013: it was the input shaft that failed, which is common problem with 2005, Ford will not have repalcement parts so they will stick you with a new transmission, THANKS FORD - this is the second time at transmission shop for the same problem, after doing some research they found someone who machines a new input shaft.

- , Pompoton Lakes, NJ, USA

Nov 152010

Freestyle SEL 3.2L

• CVT transmission

2005 Ford Freestyle. The noise started at a low volume and grew louder and louder till other people were asking what was wrong with it. Two mechanics told me it was a trans problem and to take it to the dealer to see what they can do for me first. The Freestyle is a second car I own and has only 24k miles on it. I have mostly bought used cars in the past and never had a trans problem.

I am very disappointed with this vehicle and the lack of support by Ford. There should be a recall or at least and extension of the warranty coverage on trans.

- , Fort Myers, FL, USA