2006 Ford Freestyle drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Freestyle:

2006 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 17 of 17)

Jul 032006

I have a 2006 Ford Freestyle. Every time I place the transmission in reverse. The car surges backward.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jul 252008

Had a flat tire on my 2006 Ford Freestyle, AWD, ltd and installed the space saver tire. While driving, the speedometer failed to operate, all fault indicators on the dashboard illuminated, and the transmission proceeded to erratically up and down shift. Went directly to my local Ford dealers service department wherein told by service advisor that this was not normal. Told service advisor that I thought it had to do with the space saver tire. There was no information in the owner's manual to the vehicles eradicate behavior. Later, service advisor reported that this was normal behavior with the space saver tire and the vehicles ABS sensors. I disagreed on the normal behavior since I consider my speedometer a safety device - and since the space saver tire is speed limited, this made the vehicle behavior questionable.

- Lake Park, NC, USA

Jul 282008

While curbside at the airport my 2006 Ford Freestyle started to accelerate by itself. And nearly plowed into the car and pedestrians in front of me. When the acceleration subsided I repositioned my feet (left foot brake, right foot on floor) because I thought my foot was on both the brake and the accelerator. A minute or so later the car did it again, I put the car in neutral and turned it off. When my passengers were re loaded I started the car and while leaving the airport noticed the car was very sluggish. I took it to the dealer that day. After more than two days, lots of phone calls (about what might be the problem "but we're not sure") and a lot of negotiation between the dealer and the extended warranty "provider" it was determined that the electronic throttle body was the culprit but "the part was on nationwide back-order" in fact "we have another Freestyle out in the back that has been waiting for a month". the tune changed considerably when the dealer found out that I was not only considering a legal path for resolution, but my wife was a "consumer cop" for the state where we live. The parts (2)were "found" in California and air-freighted to our dealer who promptly fixed both cars that day. I was charged $550+ for the repair(neither Ford or the 100K mile extended warranty "provider" covered the work). It seems that others have had this exact problem too, how many does it take? does someone have to get killed or injured for some one to figure out that this type of incident can't possibly be a normal wear and tear or consumer caused problem.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA