2006 Ford Freestyle drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Freestyle:

2006 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 2 of 17)

Apr 012015

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. While driving approximately 55 mph, the vehicle decelerated to approximately 30 mph followed by an abnormal noise. There were no warning lights illuminated. The dealer stated that the vehicle needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 200,000.

- Barn Well , SC, USA

Apr 062015

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. While driving at approximately 55 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to restart. The failure recurred on one occasion. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that there was a throw away transmission. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 200,000.

- Barnwell, SC, USA

Jun 172015

Car jerked and hesitated trying to put in reverse. Engine light came one. Had more issues with transmission while driving with hesitation and jerking. 3 mechanics unable to identify codes issued caused by engine light or identify cause of problems. Took car back 2nd time to transmission shop and did an indepth inspection which found little metal shavings in the fluid in the transmission. The mechanic researched and found that was an inherent issue with the cvt transmission which is why they stopped making it. Difficult/expensive to repair due to parts not available. From 2nd mechanic that is a master Ford mechanic, this car is not repairable. 1 of the mechanics said that these cars should not be sold and are, or should be, on a list of unsaleable cars by dealerships. We bought ours from a dealership just 9 months ago and not our money is down the drain. Did not check reliability before bought vehicle and found that this transmission has many complaints. If this was such a bad transmission that it is no longer made, why is it not recalled and the vehicles that have it. This is deceptive practices for dealers to sell these vehicles with such a known issue for a part that will eventually fail in all vehicles at some point. Especially when the transmissions are not able to make it to 100K miles. That is a bad transmission and these should be recalled before more consumers spend their money foolishly or someone is injured when the transmission causes issues while driving. We have been advised by the mechanics not to drive it on the freeway so as to prevent crashes due to the transmission failure.

- Mesquite, TX, USA

May 262015

I was driving my car and the wrench indicator came on, my car would not accelerate. I've taken my car to the repair shop and was infromed there is a known issued with Ford Freestyle 2005-2006 and the cvt transmission. I reviewed and it appears Ford knows this is an issue, but refuses to recall/repair it. I will be seeking legal action if Ford does not pursue a recall on this vehicle and it's known issue with the cvt transmission.

- Brandon, FL, USA

May 152012

The continuously variable transmission(cvt) found in my Ford Freestyle 2006 vehicle contains design and manufacturing defects that lead to powertrain failure.. Ford has known about this safety problem since 2005 and has issued technical service bulletins to dealers regarding the defect, but it has never informed me and other consumer(s). This vehicle(s) and their cvt transmissions fail, suddenly and unexpectedly, at any time and under any driving condition or speed, " "further, sudden loss of forward propulsion and delayed acceleration has had serious effects on handling, stability, acceleration and maintenance of speed. These conditions and risks can thereby contribute to traffic accidents, which can result in personal injury or death." Thank god this has not yet happened to my family. We have come close on multiple different occasions. Ford has chosen to actively conceal the defective cvt transmissions in the Ford Freestyles. This has put my family drivers' in danger and cost us over 3300 dollars in repairs. This was in June of 2012. Now, the kistler dealership has told me repairs would be over 7300 dollars to repair with 156K miles on the vehicle (approx 46K more since the first repair). As a reasonable consumer I would expect and assume that a vehicle's transmission is safe, will function in a manner that will not pose a safety hazard and is free from defects, ". "I do not expect Ford to fail to disclose the cvt transmission defect to me or other consumers. Moreover, I do not expect Ford and the kistler dealership to initially deny this defect, charge me thousands of dollars to repair it, then more than double the amount to repair again only 46K miles later. I am asking for Ford to answer for this problem. Please get back with me for any questions.

- Millbury, OH, USA

Mar 092015

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the transmission slipped and hesitated. The vehicle emitted an abnormal noise and made a jarring movement when changing gears. The vehicle was not inspected by a dealer or mechanic. The failure mileage was 112,000.

- Highland, IN, USA

Feb 272015

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the transmission failed. The failure occurred on three occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer on three occasions where the transmission was replaced. The vehicle was not repaired for the most recent failure. The failure mileage was 150,000.

- Oldsmar, FL, USA

Feb 172015

Freestyle 6-cyl

I was about to exit the parking lot and when I pressed the gas to exit it didn't respond. The wrench light and check engine light came on. A passerby tried to help me move it since it was blocking traffic but it wouldn't move even in neutral. It did however roll back without having to press the gas. The days before I also noticed that when I was parked the car would jump forward while I held down the brake. A mechanic diagnosed it and said it was the throttle body. He replaced it but it was good for only a day.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Feb 162015

The traction control system kept car lunging- applying the brakes intermittently. Felt like transmission was trying to shift gears but sharp lunging. Almost cause accident and should be of concern during winter or wet driving. The wrench light lights up on the dash and this should be of concern if someone is unaware of this potential. Might cause an accident if not aware of it.

- Independence, KY, USA

Jan 302015

Freestyle 6-cyl

While driving on interstate highway the transmission went into low gear, wrench light came on. This is the 4th time something like this has happened. Have to pull over shut car off and restart.

- Andover, CT, USA

Oct 152014

Vehicle speed decelerated and wrench light came on took to Ford dealership (on vacation trip) had to leave the vehicle as they said needed new throttle body----at approx. 103,767 mi. Approx 107,178 miles speed decelerated on trip and wrench light came on.when turn the vehicle off wrench light goes off and desired speed can be resumed. Took to Ford dealer and said they could put in new "brain" or new transmission. Took vehicle to mechanic for second opinion and they said it was transmission and suggested taking to transmission specialist. Transmission specialist agreed transmission had to be replaced.the vehicle was taken out several times by these mechanics and verified that it was shifting okay and okay to drive. Left the mechanic place of business and was sitting stopped at a traffic signal with foot on brake pedal and vehicle lurched forward and rammed the car in front of the vehicle. Looking for another vehicle and so scared to drive this anywhere.

- Mansfield, IL, USA

Apr 022012

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. While driving approximately 50-60 mph, the check engine light and service vehicle soon warning light illuminated. The vehicle stalled without warning and lost all power. The vehicle was able to be restarted. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 97,000. Updated 01/23/15

- Manahawkin, NJ, USA

Dec 032014

Freestyle 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to restart. The dealer diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 76,000. Updated 01/15/15 updated 01/15/15

- Clarks Summit , PA, USA

Dec 022013

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. While driving approximately 10 to 60 mph, the vehicle shifted into neutral on its own and the transmission failed. The dealer stated that the vehicle needed a new transmission. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 131,000.

- Genedin, FL, USA

Aug 012014

Freestyle 6-cyl

Our 2006 Ford Freestyle (approx 110,000 miles) began making a loud knocking noise from under the hood. Our local mechanic isolated the noise to the transmission but feared the job would be too big for him to tackle. We had the vehicle towed to a highly-rated local shop specializing in transmission repairs. Their diagnosis was that the transmission would need to be replaced* they could find the parts, since this was a common problem with the Ford cvt transmissions and that Ford had stopped using this particular transmission. Their quote was approx. $5000, but since that's about what the book value is, we elected not to proceed with the work and had the car towed home. I've since done much research on-line and have found reports of hundreds of other owners who have the same issue, but nothing about a recall (or even a tsb)! in fact, there is a class action suit underway in California regarding this issue, but since I live in MA, I don't qualify for their class. How can this issue, which impacts hundreds if not thousands of owners, not be addressed by a total recall?

- North Reading, MA, USA

Nov 032014

• 1,386,659 miles
I stopped at a stop light and my car would not function when I went to go, motor was running but vehicle wouldn't go.

- Van Buren, AR, USA

Dec 012013

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. While driving approximately 65 mph, the vehicle's power shut off and the wrench warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle decelerated independently. The contact merged to the side of the road and shut off the vehicle. The vehicle was able to restart and resumed normal operation. The failure occurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who stated that the transmission needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- West Harrison, IN, USA

May 192009

Freestyle 6-cyl

This happened 3 times before they were able to do anything at the Ford dealership because the lights would be off by the time I was able to reach the dealership, and their response was always technician was unable to duplicate symptom. While driving at 50mph on the interstate there was an intermittent idle surge while driving and then a loud "clunking" noise and then the transmission lost power and the vehicle crawled to a halt. There was no acceleration even though the engine revved up. The steering wheel became difficult to maneuver so I was unable to even get it into the emergency lane. I was stuck in the middle lane of the interstate with my child in the car. The check engine light, the wrench light for the cvt transmission, and the passenger air bag light also came on. I had to turn the car off, put it in park, and then restart the car, when I reached the dealership they were finally able to retrieve several fault codes. They performed an R&R transmission and overhaul. This happened 2 other times at (77004 miles, after shifting into park at 0 mph. They replaced a faulty throttle body for this repair- and then at 77238 miles-they replaced the alternator for this repair). It's beginning to happen again. This was and still is a dangerous situation. I now have 3 kids. I thank god we weren't struck from behind while driving on the interstate. I am terrified to drive the vehicle to long distance locations or drive on any parkway, highway, or interstate because it took a while for the vehicle to start up long enough to get it to the dealership that was only 4 miles away.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Sep 142013

Freestyle 6-cyl

Was going home after visiting with a friend and on way back was driving normal speed limit on I75 North (65mph) when all of a sudden the car would not accelerate and ac started blowing warm, the wrench light came on. The car was still running but very poorly. I had to carefully get over into the right lane and drove on the side of the interstate to get off at the visible off ramp just a few yards away. I was able to get the car up to a mcdonalds at the top of the ramp. I shut it off and decided to go inside and eat. About 25~30 minutes later, I decided to try and start the car and see what would happen, the car started right up, everything worked as normal, no warning lights at all. We drove it the last 2 hours home without any concerns. We ran a code tester on the car the next day and nothing came up. That was in September 2013. Almost a year later, this September 2014, I had the same thing happen again, but I do not remember the light coming on this time and it happened after only driving the car 6 miles to my local home depot. Again once I got back into the car after about 45 minutes, everything seemed to be operating normal again. This is normally my wife's grandson mobile, she now says that there is opportunities with surging while stopping and taking off and the ac is blowing warm when she is at stops or not driving with engine running. I read a couple forums about why the ac may be acting up but this doesn't explain the limp mode thing and the new surging going on. We have no engine or warning lights at all. I will tell you I test drove it after her concerns and they are real, the surging thing is a concern and I don't like her driving it. At a local garage guys said it sounds like its that "Ford's" problem, but don't see recall for this this a Ford problem that is known? I can't spend a lot of money trying to find the root cause.

- Rudolph, OH, USA

Sep 022014

Freestyle 6-cyl

I bought this car 2 years ago and had a sudden loss of forward propulsion and delayed acceleration once shortly later. It did not reoccur until recently it experienced cvt transmissions malfunctions three times while on a family vacation. This resulted in a "sudden loss of forward propulsion and delayed acceleration" after slowing down for traffic from cruzing speed and then attempting to reaccelaerate back to highway speed. The check engine light, the wrench light and the traction control dash lights came on and the engine experienced high RPM's with little forward movement. I took the problem to an authorized Ford dealer who told me the codes were P0701, P0715, P2765 which indicated a cvt transmission problem. It would cost about $400 to pull and diagnose the transmission and about another $5000 to repair it but then the dealer told me the parts are obsolete or not available. What is the point of attempting a repair if the parts are obsolte " why would parts be obsolete after 7 years of discontinuing production ? is Ford making excuses so as not to have to work on defective transmissions " the service writer admitted that it was not a good transmission for Ford. Ford knew about these issues and needs to be held accountable for them. The car is not safe to drive.

- Redondo Beach, CA, USA