2006 Ford Freestyle electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Freestyle:

2006 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Aug 292016

Freestyle

Safety complaint for Ford Freestyle 2006. The wrench and engine light appear on the dashboard and the engine goes to limp mode and the speed drops to 30 miles per hour from highway speed of 60 to 70 miles per hour with no warning other than the quick drop in speed and wrench light. Driving on a highway with trucks and cars going 70 miles per hour or more is beyond dangerous and asking to get hit. We have had Ford service on this car but they did not have recalls for this problem. Vehicle in motion on highway. Have had car towed, pulled over to breakdown lane and traveled side roads for fear of getting hit by another vehicle. Please do something to Ford Corp to fix this problem before there is tragedy.

- North Andover, MA, USA

Apr 212016

Freestyle

I will be driving and either the ac will be on or the dvd system will be in use and the consol turns black and the lights go off on the dashboard and the engine revs and sometimes it says check charging system. This happens while I am driving on the freeway. The lights will turn back on in the dashboard and then the airbag light is blinking. It is very cornering as I drive my children in this car. I am afraid it is going to happen and I will be unable to stop and either cause an accident or hurt my children and myself because of the electrical system just shutting down. This should be a recall and should be fixed by Ford. It is a safety issue. This has started happening with more regularity since 1/2016

- Castle Rock, CO, USA

Feb 022016

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while driving at 40 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. In addition, the contact stated that there a loud abnormal sound emitted from the vehicle. The vehicle was not able to be restarted. The vehicle was towed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 103,000.

- Culver City, CA, USA

Dec 172015

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle accelerated and decelerated independently as the check engine warning light illuminated. The contact also stated that when the air condition was activated, the vehicle would lunge forward. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but the failure was unable to be determined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 150,081.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Oct 312015

Freestyle

Alternator replaced by Firestone three times in two weeks span, and then Ford dealer changed alternator two times in two weeks span, problem remains same in the vehicle. Problem appears randomly, no dash board display only battery glows when I start car.

- Farmington Hills, MI, USA

Sep 142015

Freestyle

The car completely turn off while driving on the freeway. There is also a feel of power lost on take off while.driving. And I have read there's been concerns about the throttle body malfunction.

- Stockbrige, GA, USA

Mar 152014

Freestyle

On March 15, 2014 while driving my Ford Freestyle my car completely lost power on a 2 lane state road. I lost power steering to be able to completely get my car off the road. My child and I were broke down in the evening 40 miles from home and cars were coming fast behind us barely getting over even though I had my flashers on. I thought maybe my gas gauge stopped working and I was out of gas. By the grace of god someone we knew drove past us and came back. They went and got gas for the car thinking maybe the same issue. Nothing helped to restart the car. I had it towed to a mechanic that we know. He put it on the computer and low and behold it's the throttle body that needs replaced, the same part that I understood a year before was replaced. I was told it was replaced because there was a recall. I find out later it was not replaced that it was actually a customer satisfaction program that I call is a cya for Ford. The only thing required of the dealership is to clean and reprogram, something only a Ford dealership can do. I thought it must be under warranty cause I had the work done less than a year. Only to find out that Ford just authorized a band aid fix and that my throttle body would have to now be replaced and my cost. Prior to this my car almost lunged us into the side of our house as I was pulling into our carport. Not the normal breaking that Ford tells NHTSA in their report. I had to put all my might with both feet on the breaks to stop my car from running into our house. Also not the other bs lie Ford tells nhsta that the car looses power but does not loose control of power steering and breaks. On both occasions that I had a problem all of what Ford tells NHTSA is not an issue is definitely a safety issue. Im appalled that NHTSA has to wait for someone to die to stop believing the bs lies Ford is giving them. Do something.

- Dunn, NC, USA

May 102013

Freestyle

My car lunged forward several times. At at least one point it lunged with such force that I had to put both feet on the break and push with all my might to stop it from hitting my house when pulling in to park. Under Ford's so called research it said normal break pressure stopped the worse case scenario, a lie. My child was in the car with me and she was very scared. I had had problems prior but was thinking maybe bad gas. I call Ford to find out that I had a "recall" "customer satisfaction program" which was a one time fix to clean and reprogram the throttle body. Some Ford service department employees are frustrated with this issue because they know its just a "band aid" fix. It doesnt take care of the problem, which is a safety issue. My band aid fix didn't last a year. Found myself broke down with my child on the road with no control a yr later. You wonder what was the problem. Throttle body this time had to be replaced at full cost to me!!! my car lost power quickly and had no control with power steering etc. Couldn't get my car off the road. Was broke down right in a 2 lane state road with cars going 55mph. And barely getting over to keep from hitting me. Another lie told by Ford where they say it doesn't effect having control of your car. Want to know whats odd. A family member had to take their vehicle to the dealership because their mechanic could not fix it, why? throttle body went bad, full cost to her also. I'm complaining again due to finally getting the paperwork which the dealership said they couldn't give it to me at that time and a friend whom my husband carpools to work with is having the same symptoms, when checking his VIN# his car is under that csp. However his can be replaced at Ford cost but we will see. They were on a highway with speed limit 70mph. Very dangerous. I feel Ford is failing and NHTSA is satisfied with Ford's bs.

- Dunn, NC, USA

Aug 262015

Freestyle

Today (08/26/2015) while emerging into oncoming traffic my car refused to accelerate. It would never rise above 20 mph. Thankfully I was down the street from my mechanic. An otherwise two minute drive took fifteen minutes of my allowing the car to just coast because it would never accelerate when I pushed on the gas. After praying and finally making to the shop, he placed the diagnostic mac of thine on it only to inform me that it is the electronic throttle body was opened. I searched for a recall or something to offset the cost but I have been unsuccessful thus far. This was a very frightening experience and thankfully one where I didn't get injured due to cars almost hitting me, running up on my bumper even with the flashers on, it's not fair that this complaint is closed. What if someone got seriously injured or even died because the car just suddenly refused to accelerate.or even began to surge out into traffic. This matter needs to be re evaluated for the safety of all the customers who own this vehicle.

- Baytown, TX, USA

Jun 282015

Freestyle

Car was parked for about 10 minutes after running without issue for 20 minutes. When starting again from the parked position, car lost all power steering. Within the 2.1 mile/6 minute ride that followed, the power steering never returned. Checking under the hood revealed serpentine belt failed in a clean break. The car was not driven prior to replacing the belt the next day. Once the belt was installed, a quick run through the system functions included running the A/C. all systems seem functional until the A/C is activated. Within 3 seconds of starting A/C, observed audible motor sound followed by all power failed (full shut-down). Turned off engine, removed key, waited 60 seconds, all was good until again turning on the A/C, when symptom of system failure (audible motor sound change) occurred again, A/C was turned off right away, and engine and all other systems operated as expected.

- Enfield, CT, USA

Jun 152013

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. While driving at various speeds, the vehicle accelerated and decelerated independently and the check engine and unknown warning lights illuminated continuously. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the throttle body needed to be cleaned and the computer needed to be updated. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 108,000.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Apr 112015

Freestyle 6-cyl

Driving down the interstate in traffic the engine stalls wrench light came on, leaving me with no power to control my speed. As my car quickly reduces speed on a major interstate I attempt to get over to the shoulder out of harms way. This is happened 4 times, the latest time our check engine light came on and stays on. P2104, P2100, P2112, and P0325 codes are present. I have seen Ford has recalled 1.6 million electronic throttle body in Ford escape, Mercury mariner, and Mercury Milan vehicles with the same 3.0L engine and same electronic throttle body. All Ford has to do is to list the Ford Freestyle as one of these recall vehicles for the etb to be repaired/replaced. This is a very scary situation to be in with children in the car and you have no power to you accelerator to get out of the way of speeding vehicles all around you!! I don't know what to do, very expensive to replace the etb.

- Brownsburg, IN, USA

Apr 082015

Freestyle

I just buy a 2006 Ford Freestyle and since day one I have savety problem with this car, some time the speed change with out my knowledge, it goes from 40 to 45 or try to spedd wit out me hitting on the gas. Everyday the car stop and turn off no matter speed I`am driving on. I went to many garage and Ford dealer and they told me is a problem they having with most Ford 2006 Freestyle. I think for the safety of all people who using this 2006 Ford Freestyles with their family on borad, with their kids on board and to save a lifes we have to recall this cars. This 2006 fordstyle can`T be fixe or repair.....

- Baton Rouge , LA, USA

Feb 052011

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the vehicle hesitated to accelerate and stalled without warning. After several attempts, the vehicle was able to restart. The vehicle was taken to the dealer more than five times, but the failure was unable to be replicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 137,000.

- Chattanooga, TN, USA

May 192009

Freestyle 6-cyl

This happened 3 times before they were able to do anything at the Ford dealership because the lights would be off by the time I was able to reach the dealership, and their response was always technician was unable to duplicate symptom. While driving at 50mph on the interstate there was an intermittent idle surge while driving and then a loud "clunking" noise and then the transmission lost power and the vehicle crawled to a halt. There was no acceleration even though the engine revved up. The steering wheel became difficult to maneuver so I was unable to even get it into the emergency lane. I was stuck in the middle lane of the interstate with my child in the car. The check engine light, the wrench light for the cvt transmission, and the passenger air bag light also came on. I had to turn the car off, put it in park, and then restart the car, when I reached the dealership they were finally able to retrieve several fault codes. They performed an R&R transmission and overhaul. This happened 2 other times at (77004 miles, after shifting into park at 0 mph. They replaced a faulty throttle body for this repair- and then at 77238 miles-they replaced the alternator for this repair). It's beginning to happen again. This was and still is a dangerous situation. I now have 3 kids. I thank god we weren't struck from behind while driving on the interstate. I am terrified to drive the vehicle to long distance locations or drive on any parkway, highway, or interstate because it took a while for the vehicle to start up long enough to get it to the dealership that was only 4 miles away.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Aug 042014

Freestyle

After driving home, approximately 10 miles and speeds up to 50mph, I noticed smoke coming from the passenger side mirror. The smoke lasted a few minutes and then stopped on its own. Not sure if this information is pertinent or not, but it had been raining and the dvd player was playing during the trip.

- Ocoee, FL, USA

Jun 222014

Freestyle 6-cyl

Driving up to 55, engine gets to 4000 rpms, and wont shift. Codes suggest bad mechatronic.

- Jenison, MI, USA

May 122013

Freestyle

We were at a stand still in traffic leading to the off ramp, a vehicle came speeding down the on ramp and by his own admission was not paying attention. He then rammed into the back of our vehicle and hit us so hard that it triggered a multi car crash, 6 vehicles in all. During repairs of the vehicle we were told that the engine was experiencing idle surge. It was also noted that this was not due to the vehicle accident. We paid out of pocket some $1,700 and we continue to have the same issues. The Ford dealership has not and will not correct the problem. Ford is responsible for this repair and I would like to see some action taken on their part. I called Ford corporate office and was told despite my vehicle being included in the 2005-2007 recall my particular VIN number is not included in that lot. Not good customer service.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Apr 072012

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the vehicle suddendly accelerated without any warnings. The contact mentioned that the vehicle would fail to start if the A/C was on. The contact had to power the vehicle off and restarted it multiple times but the failure recurred. The vehicle was to be inspected, diagnosed and repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Buena Vista, VA, USA

May 152013

Freestyle 6-cyl

Our steering is locking up and the battery light stays on and sometimes the doors wont latch the steering is very dangerous it locks up and you cant keep it on the road.

- Mckee, KY, USA