2006 Ford Freestyle engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Freestyle:

2006 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Jun 152008

Vehicle lunges at idle, especially on hot days when A/C is running. Almost ran over attendant at oil change location. This has occurred about 30 times since we have owned the car. The dealer has no knowledge of other Freestyles with this problem, but many other Freestyle owners do, as does the Ford corporation.

- Ransom Canyon, TX, USA

Nov 112008

Freestyle 6-cyl

On several occasions my 06 Ford Freestyle has had and unexplained jerk/lunge in motion. We purchased the car in Oct 08 and the problems started Nov 08. I have gotten to the point where I have had enough, and my faith in Ford is slowly wilting away. The jerk/lunge normally occurs while coming to a stop at red light or stop sign, or going idle speed in the following places drive-thru, parking lot, while reversing or parking the car. Today when I got back from the grocery store I was reversing into my garage and the car started to lunge I applied the break and it continued to jerk about a foot till it stopped. I was not sure the car would stop, this scared me half to death, I kept on thinking what if someone was behind me. I tried again and it happened 2 more times before I shut the car off. I then turned everything off in the car started the car again and put it into reverse and everything was fine. I was very grateful that this happened in my own drive way. If I was in a parking lot I could have hit a car with it moving a foot and I could have hit someone. The jerking/lunging in the car is very sporadic and has happened while my husband drove the car as well, so it is not operator error. It is so sporadic that this action is hard to recreate at a given notice you can not predict the time but you can anticipate that it will happen at least 3 times a week. Some may think that if it is hard to recreate then it is not a problem, but if it happens at least 3 times a week that is something to look at especially when you are thinking about human life. A vehicle is not a luxury item especially to a military family like we are. It is a necessity that should be dependable and the manufacturer should stand behind there products. I have two small children and wonder what to do next. Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope there will be a resolution to this soon.

- Elmore, AL, USA

Jun 142011

We purchased a brand new 2006 Ford Freestyle in March, 2007. On June 14, 2011, and to a lesser extent, periodically since vehicle purchase, the vehicle's engine surged while my foot was on the brake pedal; the vehicle failed to accelerate to normal speed; and, it acted like it didn't want to shift into next gear. The June 14, 2011 occurrence was the worst one, plus, the wrench light came on. Our local Ford dealership diagnosis is that the throttle body needs to be only 37,200 miles. Repair estimate from the dealership to replace the part is $836.48. Dealership also determined that an engine mount bracket/gasket needs to be replaced for cost of $424; rear brakes will be needed within 5,00 miles for $374, if new rotors are needed; and, new battery is needed now for a cost of $138...all this at only 37,200 miles. We foolishly purchased an extended warranty when we bought the vehicle. Ford tells us that the warranty only covers the power train, and since the throttle body is considered to be electronic, the warranty will not apply. We were led to believe that it was a bumper-to-bumper extended warranty when we agreed to purchase the warranty. We are very unhappy campers! no more extended warranties for us. We believe that Ford should be responsible at least for the throttle body replacement, in full. We are afraid to drive the vehicle now, and even when it is "repaired" we will still be afraid because of the history of the Freestyle problems that we have read about online. Please help! thanks.

- Kingman, AZ, USA

Jun 102011

Vehicle will accelerate while foot is on the brake pedal. Happens mostly when backing but will happen also when in drive. Seems to happen as wheel is turned slightly in either direction, but not for sure. Also seems to happen more in very hot weather or after vehicle has been driven for a while. Acceleration is minor to moderate and happens unexpectedly. Ford reprogrammed computer last summer but still occurs. Vehicle is also wearing out right rear brake faster that other brakes.

- Louisville, KY, USA

May 212011

Freestyle 6-cyl

While idling with my foot on the brake, the car started "surging". RPM's revved up and had to stand on brake to keep car from moving. Happened a few times, sporadically, then started happening more often. Now doing the same thing in reverse. Several times, when I remove my foot from the brake to back up the car "lurches" 6 or 8 feet before I can stop it again. Yesterday, . some reports cite transmission, some cite throttle body".

- Worthington, OH, USA

Jun 062011

Hot humid weather with the air conditioner on. Vehicle surges forward approximately one foot when stopped in traffic with right foot on the brake pedal. The tachometer shows an increase in RPM from approximately 700 RPM to approximately 1300 RPM. The surge lasts for approximately one or two seconds and stops. The brake stops the forward surge. The surge also occurs when the vehicle is in reverse. Shutting off the air conditioner prevents a reoccurrence of the surge.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Aug 152010

Freestyle 6-cyl

Have 2006 Ford Freestyle with 50,000+ miles. When started or stopped, engine will sudenly accelerate or rev up, car will surge forward. Have to hold car with brake. Dealer says not a warranty defect, but will have to get a new throttle body at cost of $800 plus labor. Talked to two dealers and they could not even get one because were backordered. Dealer said other cars having same problem. Car now has 65,00 miles and still doing the same thing. This should be under warranty and have Ford fix the problem under a recall. Also have a 2005 Freestyle with 87,000 miles and the engine is starting to have the same surge and high RPM problem. Ford needs to fix this as soom as possible.

- Florence, SC, USA

May 262011

I was waiting in line to pick my daughter up from school today. When she got in the car I took my foot off of the brake and my car lunged forward and almost hit the car in front of me. I had to push down on the brake to stop my car from crashing into the car in front of me. When I attempted to take my foot off of the brake for a second time and to drive around the other car, my car lunged again and almost stalled.

- Davidson, NC, USA

May 162011

Lunges and accelerates without pressing on the gas pedal - usually I have the brake applied at the time so it is easy to control but it does it mostly when first starting out before shifting to drive. Also lunges when at slow speeds, like when in a parking lot. I notice it does it more when the air conditioner is on. I have noticed it more the last two years and just thought it was probably the compressor turning on but I'm not sure. There has been no injury or accident yet but it is a worrisome incident that occurs too often.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Jul 242010

Freestyle 6-cyl

Engine revved-up fiercely in 2006 Ford Freestyle when attempting to parallel park the vehicle in July 2010.

- Wilmington, DE, USA

May 142011

2006 Ford Freestyle surge when shifting from reverse to forward or vice versa.

- Muskegon, MI, USA

May 162011

Freestyle 6-cyl

We have a 2006 Ford Freestyle that frequently surges forward at low speeds. Usually this occurs when the engine is cold. Once it warms up it's less likely to happen.

- Lake Mary, FL, USA

Jun 012010

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. When the vehicle stopped the RPM's began to increase and decrease excessively. She also stated the vehicle would intermittently stall while driving forward or in reverse. When the vehicle stalled and was restarted, it would function normally. The failure was not diagnosed and the vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 75,000. The current mileage was 83,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Antioch, TN, USA

Oct 162010

Freestyle 6-cyl

A/C condenser leaking. Estimate $1330.30 engine mount front right worn. Estimate $519.43 10 hours labor to change six spark plug. $324.56 65K miles 2006 Freestyle.

- Deltona, FL, USA

Oct 042010

My Ford Freestyle suddenly accelerates without pressing on the gas. It happens most often when we are stopped and I lift my foot off of the brake, it will suddenly lunge forward. It will also happen at low speeds, such as pulling into or out of a parking spot. It also happens at stop signs, drive thrus and in traffic. It happens during every drive now, sometimes numerous times. I have almost hit other cars and twice have almost run over a pedestrian. The part that is supposed to fix this problem seems to be unavailable. I have three children, the oldest is only 5 and I have very real safety concerns for my family and others around my car.

- Hamilton, NJ, USA

Jun 232010

Our 2006 Ford Freestyle has been giving us problems for the last two summers. It seems that when we run the A/C the car will sometimes surge forward when pulling into a parking space or coming to rest at a stoplight/drive-thru. There have been a couple close calls with hitting other vehicles in front of us. It has also stalled and the transmission light has come on numerous times. It seems that we must turn the car off to rest and then start it back up for the issue to be fixed. We are now very careful when we run the A/C because this seems to affect it somewhat. We recently took our car to the dealership and they told us we needed to replace the throttle body which would be $500 for the part without labor. We simply cannot afford to fix the problem now and are praying for safety. We will no longer buy a Ford and when contacting Ford we were told there was nothing they could do about the problem.

- Waynesboro, VA, USA

Aug 102010

Random surges of engine RPM, especially in parking lots. Causes the vehicle to lunge forward or backward. Difficult and dangerous to control.

- Saint Peters, MO, USA

Jul 142010

I have a Ford Freestyle 2006. The car has acted funny in the summer with the airconditioning on for a couple of years, but I never dealt with it. Now the car has 98000 miles on it, the engine light and wrench light has come on. The care constantly surgers forward and backward especially with the airconditioning on. This is a safety issue for my family in the car as well as the other people around me when driving. I have made an appointment with the dealership to have this looked at, but after reading the complaints on line, it sounds as though I may be out of luck. This is our only family car and what are we to do if the parts are not available for over a month? Ford it is your responsibility to have safe cars and good quality people can rely on. This problem needs to be recalled and fixed for all the people out there who own Freestyles.

- Sherwood, OR, USA

Jul 172010

When car is in drive and or reverse it accelerates on its own. It lunges forward then stalls out. The wrench light appears and now the engine light is on. This was happening a year ago and I took it in and the dealer couldn't find the problem. It is doing it again. It is very dangerous because it happens at stoplights stop signs and when I am pulling out of driveways.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jun 012010

Engine will rev up without any pressure being applied to the gas pedal. Happens more frequently when vehicle has been in park and is put in gear. Happens often enough that I am concerned about the safety of my family, as it is a family car. My local Mercury dealer service department says that I need a new throttle body.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA