2006 Ford Freestyle engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Freestyle:

2006 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 22 of 30)

Mar 012011

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that her vehicle accelerated when pressure was not applied to the brakes. The manufacturer and dealership were not notified of the failure. The failure was not repaired. The failure mileage was 61,500 and the current mileage was 62,000.

- Lawrenchburg, TN, USA

Sep 302010

Freestyle 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated when shifting the vehicle into either drive or reverse the vehicle would lunge forward or backwards forcing the contact to apply pressure to the brakes and avoid a crash. The wrench light would illuminate on the instrument panel intermittently. The dealer nor the manufacturer were notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 71,000 and the current mileage was 88,200. Updated 07/08/11

- Saluda, NC, USA

Jun 032011

Freestyle 6-cyl

We own a 2006 Ford Freestyle and have had problems with sudden acceleration at low speeds and idling in general. The car was viewed by jeremy at classic Ford in columbia, SC, and quoted a bit too quickly for me too feel comfortable. When I mentioned an 06 Freestyle, it took no time to diagnose over the phone as a throttle body problem. The repair was quoted in the $850 range. I purchased a throttle body from another 2006 Freestyle from a junkyard and made the repair. Less than 7000 miles later we are seeing the beginning of the problem again. The initial surges/revving occurred few and far between, usually in hot temperatures with the air running. The idle RPM usually sits at about 500 RPM, and when we stop, still in drive, it surges, which causes the car to lunge forward. When it progressed, it was impossible to sit at a stop sign without idling from 500 to 750 RPM every second, back and forth. After I made the repair, the car ran great. But as I said, we are less than 7000 miles out of the repair, and the initial stages are happening again. I can purchase a part from the Ford dealer for $600+, or an aftermarket part for $500+. my hesitation in yet another repair is a faulty part from the manufacturer, or a part that is not oem, but made per their specs by an aftermarket manufacturer that will fail in a similar manner. I believe the best case in this situation will be to take the $4000 hit I will incur due to kelly blue book differences from what the car is actually worth, now that other dealers know what's up.

- Elgin , SC, USA

Jan 252009

The car lunges at complete stop and in reverse. We have had several wrecks in drive thrus and stoplights because of this issue. After it lunges the wrench comes on and the car will not go over 40mph. Ford dealer says its the throttle body and are backordered from Ford for months and the cost is over $800. I am very disatisfied with the actions on this from Ford. Evryone knows about it but they seem to not care until someone gets hurt.

- Macon, GA, USA

Mar 012011

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated the vehicle would momentarily surge forward while driving at various speeds and with the brakes engaged. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the contact was advised to replace the torque converter. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 139,000 and the current mileage was 141,000.

- High Point, NC, USA

May 012010

Freestyle 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while at a stop light with his foot on the brake pedal the vehicle started surging. He had to provide an incredible amount of pressure to the brake pedal in order to keep the vehicle from going into traffic. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but the contact decided not to have the failure diagnosed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and referred him to NHTSA. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 30,000 and the current mileage was 70,000. Updated 07/08/11 the consumer stated the surging increased over a period of time. Updated 07/22/11

- Winston Salem , NC, USA

Jun 012011

Vehicle surges--when idling in park the rpms will jump intermittently from 500 to 1500 rpms. When put into drive or reverse and my foot is taken off of the brake the vehicle will lunge without my foot on the gas pedal. Just bought this vehicle used 3 months ago and this is the first occurrence. 60K on the mileage. Running A/C full force today when it happened as it has gotten hot outside. It happened several times today and stalled during one occurrence when backing up and the wrench light was illuminated. I restarted it without problems but came straight home as it was making me nervous. Nothing has been done yet to try to resolve this issue but I've read online that it had something to do with the throttle body and occurs more when the A/C is in use.

- Falkner, MS, USA

May 292011

Engine surged and eventually quit. Car restarted, but would not get up to speed until 40 mph. Wrench light came on dash, took car to dealership, where the throttle body was deemed responsible.

- Freehold, NJ, USA

Apr 032011

We are starting to experience problems with the car "surging" while starting out from a dead stop. The problem happens both in forward or reverse and the car will lurch 3-4 feet without warning.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

May 282011

Freestyle 6-cyl

My 2006 Ford Freestyle has been lurching forward unexpectedly while my foot is on the brake. Sometimes is will then stall. It happens when pulling on or out of a parking spot. This has occurred several times in the past 6 weeks. Took care to shop, no codes to show issue and unable to replicate the problem.

- Hamilton, OH, USA

May 282010

Hello, I have a complaint on my 2006 Ford Freestyle. I have a safety concern about my vehicle during reverse and acceleration. My vehicle tends to lunge 4-5 ft. When I reverse slowly or move forward. It happens to do this mostly during the summertime. To temporarily correct this issue I have to firmly hold on the brakes to control it from lunging. I brought this issue to my local dealership and they say there is nothing wrong with the vehicle. No what I expected to hear. No repair is currently done to resolve this issue.

- Austin, TX, USA

May 262011

I was waiting in line to pick my daughter up from school today. When she got in the car I took my foot off of the brake and my car lunged forward and almost hit the car in front of me. I had to push down on the brake to stop my car from crashing into the car in front of me. When I attempted to take my foot off of the brake for a second time and to drive around the other car, my car lunged again and almost stalled.

- Davidson, NC, USA

Aug 312005

Freestyle 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that when the air conditioner was activated and the vehicle was sitting idle, the vehicle would suddenly lunge or surge forward without warning. The vehicle was inspected by a dealer and they advised her that they were unable to diagnose or duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 10. Updated 07/08/11 updated 07/22/11

- Laughlin, NV, USA

May 252010

Freestyle 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that when the brake pedal was released, the vehicle lunged forward. The failure would occur intermittently in hotter temperatures. The manufacturer was contacted who offered no assistance. The vehicle was never taken to the dealer. The failure mileage was 53,000. Updated 06/17/11 updated 06/21/11

- Harwich Port, MA, USA

May 232011

Freestyle 6-cyl

I own a 2006 Ford Freestyle and often experience unintended acceleration or lunging. I haven't gotten in an accident yet, but am very anxious about driving with this problem. It occurs more frequently as the weather gets warmer. As the weather warms this occurs 90% of the time I drive it.

- Fuquay-Varina, NC, USA

Dec 102009

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated while shifting into reverse gear the vehicle began to surge forward unexpectedly. The vehicle came to a stop when the brakes were applied excessively. The failure progressed and occurred when the vehicle was in motion, idle or shifting into any gear. On a separate occasion the engine stalled but the vehicle restarted. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who was unable to duplicate the problem. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Bradenton, FL, USA

Feb 202011

Freestyle 6-cyl

I own a 2006 Ford Freestyle crossover. During the past year, the vehicle engine has been unexpectedly running much higher RPM (revving) and "lunging" forward or backwards (depending upon if the vehicle was in drive or reverse). After repeated trips to the dealership, I was told that the mechanics could find nothing wrong with the car. Eventually, around mid September 2010, I replaced the throttle body per the dealer's recommendation. My car is once again beginning to "lunge" forward. I just noticed this on May 19, 2011. Ford did not pay for the throttle body replacement and I am running in to a dead end again. I have spoken to many other Freestyle owners and this appears to be a widespread problem.

- Havelock , NC, USA

May 152007

Freestyle 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the vehicle was in reverse with the brakes depressed. As pressure was released from the brake pedal, the vehicle abnormally lunged backward. When the gear shifter was in drive, the vehicle would sporadically lunge forward. The contact stated that the failure recurred intermittently and usually when the air conditioner was activated. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for diagnostics nor was the vehicle repaired. There was an open investigation under NHTSA action number: PE11018 (vehicle speed control) which the contact believed may have been related to the failure.the approximate failure mileage was 28,000. Updated 07/20/11

- North Tonawanda, NY, USA

Freestyle 6-cyl

Foot was on the brake while idling -- car lunged forward and I had to press the brake even harder to make it stop moving. This has occurred on numerous occasions in the past few months, especially while moving slowly in the pickup line at my child's school. It is a very dangerous situation when children are walking in between cars and my foot is on the brake expecting the car to stay still, and all of a sudden it will lunge forward unexpectedly. We have owned our vehicle since we purchased it new in November, 2005. This is not something that is unique to our car -- it is happening to hundreds of people. Please Ford, issue a recall immediately so this dangerous problem can be corrected.

- Jupiter, FL, USA

Jul 172010

Freestyle 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that when he started the vehicle and it was idle, the vehicle would suddenly surge or lunge forward. He had to quickly apply the brakes in order to avoid a crash. The failure occurred at least once a month. The vehicle was inspected by an authorized dealer who stated the throttle body was the cause of failure but could not duplicate the failure. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The current mileage was approximately 72,000. The failure mileage was approximately 60,000. Updated 06/24/11 *bfupdated 11/23/11

- Britton, MI, USA