2006 Ford Freestyle engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Freestyle:

2006 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 27 of 30)

Jul 122010

Freestyle

2006 Ford Freestyle with approx 40,000 miles, hear acceleration/deceleration when not moving, turn off car and resets, once had to reset as many as 5 times to be able to drive out of parking lot - had to stop and turn off car in middle of driving lane in parking lot, difficult to steer when issue is occurring, repaired throttle control body (took over 2 weeks for dealership to obtain part, dealer could not provide rental and I did not drive my car for over a week due to safety issue).

- Earlysville, VA, USA

Feb 162010

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact was backing out of the driveway at approximately 2 mph. When the brake pedal was depressed the vehicle surged in reverse unexpectedly. The contact was able to stop the vehicle. The intermittent failure was continuously occurring. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnosis. The technician performed unknown repairs. The failure continued after the repairs. The failure mileage was 98,000.

- Greeley, CO, USA

Jul 242006

Freestyle

I have a 2006 Ford Freestyle with only 55,560 miles that I am having a problem with the acceleration of the car. The car will not accelerate past 30 mph and surges badly. The car shakes badly during acceleration, has stalled and is unsafe to drive.the wrench light and service light both came on. I took it to a Ford service department and was told that the throttle body needed replacing. They also told me that this has been a nationwide problem with this model car. The throttle body part is on back order and Ford has no idea when the part will be available. I have been without the car for a week now and have no idea when I will have transportation again. Upon researching this problem with the throttle body, I have discovered that other owners that have had the throttle body replaced on their vehicle end up with the some problem as Ford has not corrected the problems with the throttle body. This is an $900 repair and along with the cost of having to pay for additional transportation makes this a costly proposition. I feel that there should be an immediate recall for this problem with Ford paying the bill and before there are deaths due to this defect.

- Snellville, GA, USA

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact drove the vehicle in reverse and it started shaking and hesitating. When she shifted in drive, the vehicle jerked forward. She was able to drive two miles to her residence approximately 25 mph since it continued to hesitate. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who advised her to replace the throttle body. The vehicle was in the dealers possession when the complaint was filed. The failure and current mileages were 37,200.

- Lindenwood, NJ, USA

Jul 282010

Freestyle

It just started lurching when you let off the brake, I have almost hit the car in front of me because of this. I have been told this problem is caused by the throttle body assembly. It happens in my drive way, at fast food drive thrus, the bank. I have yet to fix it because the part is on back order through Ford. I have tried to locate one on the internet. This part is about $500. It happens sporadically so you never know when it'll lurch. It scares me and who ever is with me.

- Andrews, NC, USA

Jul 272010

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. While reversing from a parking space at 2 mph, there was an abnormal increase in engine rpms. The engine rpms returned to normal as the contact depressed the brake. The vehicle would also intermittently stall with an unknown warning wrench light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer yet they were unable to duplicate the failure. The contact had previously experienced the failure and the throttle body was replaced to correct the failure. The contact asked the dealer if they could replace the throttle to correct the most current failure however the part was on a national backorder. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 64,424.

- Pottsville, PA, USA

Jul 232010

Freestyle

When driving my 2006 Ford Freestyle if I am stopping, at a light, through a drive through, or pulling into a parking space my car lunges forward - even with my foot on the brake. This past weekend we were stopped at a light when this happened and the car lunged forward and we had to throw the car in neutral to stop before we ended up in oncoming traffic. We also almost hit a car pulling into a parking space this weekend. The issue is getting worse now and the dealership has stated it is a throttle body issue. The problem seems worse when I am running the ac. The issue is that the car lunges forward even though the brake is pressed. It is a very scary and I am worried I am going to hit another car or an innocent bystander who walks in front of my car. I purchased the extended warranty for my car so the dealership is covering the cost but is saying the part is on national backorder and I may have to drive my car while I wait.

- Canton, GA, USA

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact shifted into reverse and there was an abnormal increase in engine rpms to 2500. The vehicle then abnormally accelerated and the contact abruptly depressed the brakes to stop the unintended acceleration. The vehicle stalled once he depressed the brakes. The contact was able to restart the vehicle but the vehicle would not accelerate. The contact took the vehicle to a local repair facility where he was informed that the throttle body would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and there were no prior warnings of the failure. The current and failure mileage was 50,000.

- Winston'salem, NC, USA

Jul 032010

Freestyle

I have a 2006 Ford Freestyle the throttle body has gone bad and it cause the car the lunge out of control. This could be a problem as it lunges about a foot or two and you could easily hit a person or car or someother object.

- Imperial, MO, USA

Freestyle

2006 Ford Freestyle. Unexpected acceleration at low (idle) speeds. Occurs sporadically, usually when air conditioner is on and car is in reverse. Also happens when at a stop in drive. I thought it might be a transmission problem. Dealer could not find anything wrong. The other day it happened in a drive through lane and I almost hit the car in front of me. I braked and turned to the right and the car stalled. It did not run good for the next 10 miles. I drove directly to the dealer and explained the problems in detail. Next day I was told T hat it was a dirty air filter and nothing was found. I told them that I had researched online and found thousands with the same problem. That it was T he throttle body. They told me that they had not been able to reproduce the problem and they could not replace the part until it did. They have had my car for several days.

- Algonquin, IL, USA

May 122010

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated when shifting gears, the vehicle would independently accelerate intermittently. In addition, the vehicle would not accelerate past 35 mph. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the dealer advised that the failure could possibly be caused by a defect in the torque converter. The contact was awaiting a definitive diagnosis of the failure. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was approximately 50,000 and the current mileage was approximately 52,000.

- Wexford, PA, USA

Jul 262009

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated while attempting to brake from 5 mph, the vehicle abnormally accelerated without warning. The contact had to abruptly depress the brakes and shift into park in order to stop the vehicle. The dealer advised that the throttle body would need to be replaced. There were no prior warnings of the failure and the vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 30,000 and the current mileage was 38,000.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jul 212010

Freestyle

Our 2006 Ford Freestyle has started to accelerate at higher speeds when putting in reverse even when brake is being applied, this also happens when putting into drive, but not as often as reverse. We have 50,000 miles on our car and have had no other problems thus far. Our check engine light came on today and I am planning on contacting a Ford dealer tomorrow to get it diagnosed? I think Ford needs to recall the throttle body's in these vehicles, I had no idea so many owners of the 2006 Ford Freestyle are having the same problem as we are.

- Huntingburg , IN, USA

Mar 022010

Freestyle

Surging/lunging of car even while pressing brakes as hard as possible. Occurs quite frequently. Have not repaired yet, will not let wife or daughter drive until I get it fixed.

- Locust Grove, GA, USA

Jul 222010

Freestyle

We have a 2006 Ford Freestyle which has driven well for years without significant problems. In July 2010, we became concerned with the car's sudden acceleration in both reverse and drive. Each time you place the car into gear (without touching the accelerator), the car lunges forward or backward and it is terrifying to drive. After the car lunges it will sometimes stall. You cannot ease slowly out of parking spaces or more slowly through traffic because you could easily hit another car or person. The sudden acceleration started out as hardly noticeable but now the car is completely unsafe. On July 22, 2010, we took the car to our Ford dealership and they told us the problem was will the "throttle body". they told us we couldn't drive the car at all until this part was replaced. Nationwide this part is on back order for at least 2 weeks. Apparently, this is a problem for many 2006 Freestyles.

- Elmhurst, IL, USA

Jun 082010

Freestyle

The throttle body in the 2006 Ford Freestyle. Unexpected acceleration, revving of the motor.

- New Windsor, NY, USA

Jul 202010

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. While driving in reverse at an unknown low speed, the vehicle surged backward until the brakes were applied and the vehicle stalled. After the vehicle shut off a transmission service light illuminated on the dashboard. Upon restart the service light was no longer illuminated on the dashboard. The contact also stated that the failure occurred previously while driving forward. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where they were unable to determine the cause of failure. The failure and current mileages were 100,800.

- Lansing, KS, USA

Jul 162010

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the vehicle continued to accelerate. The contact tried to the stop the vehicle by applying the brakes and the vehicle continue to accelerate through a stop sign. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer who stated that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The dealer stated that the part was on back order and would be available in the middle of August. The contact stated that the failure could potentially cause a crash to occur. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Hutchinson, KS, USA

Jul 122010

Freestyle

I am very concerned that my vehicle accelerates on its own and Ford will not do anything about this problem.this has happened several times while in drive and reverse causing me to almost strike another vehicle. I own a 2006 Ford Freestyle and have contacted the manufacturer several times and had it to a Ford dealership. It was diagnosed as the throttle body and Ford is aware of the safety issue but is doing nothing. I was told that the part would not be available until at least the end of September. Ford knows that this part is defective causing acceleration in the vehicle and still will only tell me there is a national backorder and they are doing everything they can. The safety of my family and others on the road is of no concern to them. They refuse to provide me with a safe vehicle to drive. I believe this issue needs to be addressed. They are knowingly risking the lives of my family and others on the road by knowingly not issuing a recall. Not only is this dangerous when this part does eventually get redesigned and produced by Ford even though it is a safety issue and defect in Ford Freestyles I had to pay $75 to have the problem diagnosed on July 6, 2010 and my cost to repair the issue when the part is available will be approximately $700. I cannot believe that Ford is being allowed to operate business in this way. My first contact regarding this problem was July 6, 2010 and still nothing. Ford has not provided me with the part required to fix my car and cannot tell me when it will be available. They also will not provide me with a safe vehicle to drive and is suggesting that I continue to drive a car that accelerates on its own. They should not be allowed to stay in business. I am contacting all necessary authorities regarding this safety issue that Ford will not address or resolve.

- Ravenswood, WV, USA

Jul 192010

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. While applying his foot on the brake pedal and driving in reverse the vehicle surged backwards and the service warning light illuminated. The contact applied the brakes with extreme force when the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who stated that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The dealer also stated that the parts were on back order. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 80,625 and the current mileage was 80,805.

- Bismarck, AR, USA