2006 Ford Freestyle engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Freestyle:

2006 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 29 of 30)

Jun 052010

Freestyle

My 2006 Ford Freestyle actually lunges and revs up when I first get into it and put it into reverse or forward. It has been happening regularly now for over 2 years and about 40,000 miles but this weekend was the final straw. I had to pick up a child and left my kids in the car for about 5 mins with the car running and when I went to leave the car lunged backwards and I almost hit a tree then it shut off. I put the car into park and restarted it and it lunged forwards after being put into drive then shut off again. I then restarted it but it would not run correctly.a wrench light also came on. It was clocking 3000 rpms at 40 mph and it seemed like it would not shift. I pulled over and let the car sit for about a minute and restarted it. It seemed to run okay after that but lunged again today.I pulled the codes which were po61B and P2106. This is a huge safety problem. I have almost hit people in parking lots, trees, my garage door, and my own kids...this has to be taken care of and I think Ford should do a recall!!

- West Point, VA, USA

May 302010

Freestyle

My 2006 Ford Freestyle occasionally experiences engine rev and sudden acceleration when operated at low speeds, usually when the ac is in use. Occurs only after idling or operating at low speeds in excess of 3 minutes. Each time I had sufficient clearance to avoid an accident, but it's been close. It has happened a total of 5 times in the past 6-8 weeks, pretty much since it had gotten warm enough to use the ac. Never happened in the past 3+ years of ownership until this year. Most recent occurrence was yesterday, 30 May 2010.

- Cibolo, TX, USA

May 272010

Freestyle

My Ford Freestyle 2006 keeps surging forward in low speed and out of park conditions. 1st time it happened I thought my foot hit the gas pedal accidentally. But it happened the 2nd time a couple of days later as I was leaving a gas pump. As soon as I realized that the car was jumping forward, I slammed my foot on the brakes which caused the car to die. I restarted it and went on my way thinking it was just a weird occurrence. The 3rd time it happened I was driving 5miles per hour in my children's school parking lot. Car surged suddenly and I had to veer for the soccer field to avoid other traffic. As soon as I slammed on the brakes, the car died again. I immediately called the Ford dealership and was told that I couldn't be seen until 5days later B/C they were booked. I was incredulous B/C this seemed to me to be a dangerous matter. I called another dealership where the service person insulted me by intimating that 1) I must have had my cruise control on - I did not or 2) that my mat was tangled in my accelerator or 3) "sometimes ladies have their purse by their feet and maybe my purse was pushing on the accelerator without me knowing." I had to ask him if he thought I was an idiot for calling since he wasn't taking my concerns for a mechanical safety issue seriously. I called a friend who's a mechanic who went onto the Ford website and found out that several customers were having the same issue with sudden acceleration and posted their concerns on the Ford website. I would have thought that a problem which could result in a major accident for the car's occupants or passers-by would have been taken more seriously and Ford would have had letters mailed to all the affected customers of that malfunction. At this point, I made the appointment and await what they plan on doing about it but, was already forewarned that I still have to pay for the diagnostic and repairs B/C my car is out of warranty since its 4yrs old and standard warranties are for 3yrs.

- East Amherst, NY, USA

Apr 122010

Freestyle

Sudden acceleration when putting car into drive or reverse. Seems to happen most often when running the ac. Parking and pulling out of parking spaces is very dangerous as acceleration happens at slow speeds when usually in close proximity to other cars and people. 2006 Ford Freestyle with 60,000 miles.

- Winston Salem, NC, USA

May 082010

Freestyle

2006 Ford Freestyle lunges while in drive or reverse. Car lunges while foot is on the brake, while in drive and foot is off the gas pedal, while in reverse while foot is off the gas pedal. I have had trouble with the car lunging forward and then stalling on 2 occasions. The lunging without stalling continues to occur and seems to be happening more frequently. Lunging has occurred on at least 8 occasions. Current mileage is 61K. Problems began about 1 year ago. I have also had problems with the rear brakes wearing out. Ford replaced them at no charge due to the recall. Just replaced my front break pads on 5/5/2010. Today, the airbag warning light came on and would not go away. Also the seatbelt light and alarm kept ringing even though I was wearing my seatbelt and there were no other passengers in the car.

- Delray Beach, FL, USA

Apr 102010

Freestyle

I have a 2006 Ford Freestyle that lunges when you put it in gear. It does it all the time. Its worse when the air cond. Is on. I had an accident in a parking lot. I have quit driving the car till I can afford to take in to a dealer. From what I've read this is a common problem with Freestyles.

- Somerset Center, MI, USA

May 012010

Freestyle

Throttle body again. Second time in having 06 Ford Freestyle that the throttle body needs to be replaced. Car will lunge forward with no warning and stall out. Almost rear-ended another car and on 5/1/10 when pulled out in intersection, it lunged forward and stalled, cars were coming from both directions. Near miss.

- Huffman, TX, USA

Apr 022010

Freestyle 6-cyl

I have a 2006 Freestyle that lunges when you put it in gear.hit a car backing up in parking lot. Can't afford to have it repaired I'm unemployed.

- Somerset Center, MI, USA

Jan 312010

Freestyle

Engine will rev up without any pressure being applied to the gas pedal. Happens more frequently when vehicle has been in park and is put in gear. Happens in both reverse and forward and can cause you to jump out in traffic if not prepared to depress the brakes. Has been to the dealer a few times with no positive outcome. Ongoing intermittent problem. Last noticed yesterday.

- Loranger, LA, USA

Jan 152010

Freestyle

Unexpected acceleration while brakes are applied. This happens both while in forward and reverse, and is a fairly rare occurrence, but there have been a few instances when this "surging" occurs while I've been stopped at busy streets. Definitely a major safety concern, as this is a family vehicle. Looking at Ford discussion boards, it appears to be fairly common in the Freestyle. We've also had loss of power while driving - the engine rpms go way up, power goes way down & the wrench light comes on (car goes into "limp" mode); turning the car off & then back on helped initially, but the issue has become more common & prevalent; car is currently in the shop to replace the throttle body; one of the surges caused my wife to side-swipe a concrete pole in a parking ramp as she was backing out of the parking space. Failure occurred at approximately 60K miles, but sudden accelerations have occurred over the past 5K miles (approximately).

- St. Paul, MN, USA

Jul 142008

Freestyle 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. While idling at a stop light, the vehicle would intermittently lurch forward without warning. She would have to shift into neutral and apply pressure on the brake pedal to discontinue vehicle acceleration. She had the vehicle towed to a dealership, and a technician stated that the throttle body was the cause of the failure. She had the component replaced at another dealer, because the part was on backorder. A year later the failure resurfaced. The dealership told her that the idle air control motor was the cause and needed to be replaced. The part was on backorder, so they cleaned the component. She called the manufacturer and was advised that they would try to expedite the part to the dealer. The current mileage was 76,321. The failure mileage was approximately 47,000. Update 12/14/09 the consumer stated back in 2008 when she placed the vehicle in reverse, it accelerated backwards rapidly. In Oct 2009 the same incident happened. The dealer replaced the throttle body. Updated 12/16/09

- Kingwood, TX, USA

Aug 052009

Freestyle 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. At low speeds he experiences unintended vehicle acceleration. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The current and failure mileages were 69,500 the dealer identified the problem as the throttle body, but it has not been replaced. The new throttle body won't be available until late November.

- Germantown, TN, USA

Jul 282009

Freestyle

My 2006 Ford Freestyle will accelerate at times when my foot is not on the gas pedal, even if my foot is on the brake pedal. It will also stall when the car is in motion, the engine will rev up and shut off. It also will not accelerate after stalling out when I push on the gas pedal. I had taken my car into the dealership on July 28, 2009 to have this looked at and repaired. I have been told that the throttle body needs to be replaced to fix my car, but that the part is on back order until December 2009. I have called each month to get an update and each time have been told something different, in August 2009 I was told that the part was being manufactured and should be in soon. At the beginning of September 2009 I was told that my car was at the top of the list and that it should be in by the end of September. When I called the dealership at the end of September, I was told the part would not be manufactured until the end of October with a delivery of late November, so the projected repair time for my car would be late November early December. I have been unable to safely drive my car for more than 2 months, it is my only means of transportation for my 3 children. So earlier this week we decided to contact Ford directly to get to the bottom of the repair issue. We are now being told possibly the middle of October the part will be at the dealer for repairs. And they have sent a mutual release for me to sign in order to have a loaner car to use until the repairs have been made. In this release it removes any and all liability for the repair from Ford, its dealerships and subsidiaries. In researching the repair issue with my car, I have found that there are several others waiting on the this same part and repair and was told at one time by the dealer that there were over 900 cars of the same model with the same issue and yet there has been no recall from Ford.

- Fairfax Station, VA, USA

Jul 072009

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. While driving the engine warning light intermittently illuminated on the instrument control panel, and the engine stalled. He also had difficulty accelerating when applying pressure to the accelerator pedal. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, and a technician concluded that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The part was on back order and no repairs were made. The failure and current mileages were 130,000.

- Cincinatti, OH, USA

Aug 112009

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that when he shifted the vehicle out of reverse he experience unintended vehicle acceleration. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and a technician concluded that the throttle body failed. However because the parts are on back order, no repairs have been made. The manufacturer was notified, but no assistance was provided. The failure mileage was 42,000. The current mileage was 42,100.

- Stonewall, LA, USA

Jul 222009

Freestyle

My 2006 Ford Freestyle surges forward when stepping on the brake. This started in the beginning of July 2009. It does this every time I step on the brake. Almost causing me to hit cars in front of me.Ford claims the throttle body assembly for the 2006 Ford Freestyle is not being produced any longer. My car was replaced with a used part telling me it could only be guaranteed for 6 months. My car is only 3 years old and I feel Ford Motor Company should be responsible for this problem.

- Clearwater, FL, USA

Apr 222009

Freestyle

Car accelerate even though foot is on the brake. Then car stalls in traffic at light or when foot is on brake. Throttle body not working properly, repair cost approx $1,200 on 2006 Ford Freestyle. Ford claims item past warranty even though manual says 8yr 80,000.

- Miami, FL, USA

May 122009

Freestyle 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. While backing out of the driveway, the vehicle accelerated when the brake pedal was depressed. There were no warning indicators illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for inspection and they stated that the failure was contributed to the egr valves and throttle body. The repair part was unavailable due to a massive back order. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 52,000 and current mileage was 60,000. Updated 10/06/09. Power steering pump replaced for noise. Throttle body replaced for surging condition, also reprogramed PCM updated 10/08/09.

- Alpharetta, Ga 30005, GA, USA

Aug 212007

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. While driving 5 mph, the vehicle continued to accelerate when the brake pedal was depressed. He had to apply excessive pressure to the braking system in order to stop the vehicle. The vehicle stalled. The contact did not notice any prior failures and there were no warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but they could not determine the cause of the failure. One year later, the vehicle was taken to the dealer and they stated that the throttle bottle was failing. The contact was informed that the repairs could not be made because the necessary part was on back order. The dealer stated that they could repair the throttle body at the cost of $454. The vehicle was repaired the old throttle body, but the failure recurred three days later. The contact called the dealer and was informed that the throttle body would have to be replaced, but the part was still on back order. The manufacturer stated that the failure would be investigated and he would receive a call from the dealer in reference to a rental vehicle. The dealer was unable to provide a rental vehicle. The contact feels that this is a safety issue because someone could be seriously injured if the vehicle continues to accelerate without warning. The vehicle has not been repaired and the contact continues to drive. The failure mileage was 25,950 and current mileage was 50,280.

- Flushing , NY, USA

Aug 012009

Freestyle

2006 Ford Freestyle loss of the ability to accelerate on highway during traffic. Have to pull over and restart to reset. Happens randomly every time I drive the car. Ford says it is a throttle body unit failure, but can do nothing since the part is back ordered for 6 months and has been for over a year. Two tsb's over the course of two years, but no recall on a part they cannot even keep in stock for over two years due to the constant failure. Now my wife and family are in danger every time they drive the car until the part is available which is always changing and never a firm date.

- Alpharetta, GA, USA