2006 Ford Freestyle engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Freestyle:

2006 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 5 of 30)

Sep 012010

Freestyle

The vehicle lunges when in low gears going frontward and backward. Braking stops this, but brake has to be applied harder than usual. I have complained about this before to no avail. Because this does not happen all the time, my mechanic could not diagnose the problem. Usually this happens at very low speeds like at traffic lights, in parking lots, etc.

- Durango, CO, USA

Oct 172012

Freestyle 6-cyl

Vehicle would not slow as exit off freeway, rpms increased against braking system. Very dangerous and would not slow. Almost lost control of vehicle. Also, continues to worsen, lungin forward and in reverse.

- Mission Viejo, CA, USA

Oct 242011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Lost power from the engine causing lost speed. Unable to accelerate. Engine sputtered. Since the first episode, I have had continued episodes. Typically worse when the engine warms up. Car completely stopped and was unable to restart the engine on a trip of about 75 miles. Had to have the car towed to a local dealership. We have replaced ignition coil, spark plug, intake manifold gaskets, throttle body assembly without improvement of the condition.

- East Sparta, OH, USA

Jun 202012

Freestyle 6-cyl

2006 Ford Freestyle experienced unexpected idle speed acceleration or lunging. These lunge was sudden and unexpected, the foot was on the brake and not on the accelerator and the vehicle was at idle. This issue was intermittent and occurred unexpectedly when the vehicle was both in drive and reverse - and this acceleration when or shortly after the vehicle was placed into gear. Aggressive braking stopped the acceleration. Electronic throttle control was found to be defective and replaced.

- Janeville, WI, USA

Oct 192012

Freestyle 6-cyl

Vehicle lunges forward because throttle revving the engine. Sitting in the car line to pick up children at school is worrisome. Throttle body replaced two times prior to this date. Ford dealer informed me that throttle body needs replaced again. This is unreasonable to have replaced so many times. I have owned many vehicles in my life, currently one with over 200,000 miles 12yrs old, have never replaced a throttle body. This is a safety hazard much like the recent Toyota accelerator issue. Throttle body should be a recall item or should be covered for replacement by Ford for life of vehicles.

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Sep 172012

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while driving approximately 15 mph and approaching a traffic stop, the vehicle surged forward abnormally. The vehicle was not inspected by a dealer or an independent mechanic. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was approximately 124,000. The current mileage was approximately 125,500. The VIN was unavailable.

- Hinton, WV, USA

Mar 182012

Freestyle 6-cyl

My car was parked and idling with the air conditioning on (husband was in the passenger's seat, and kids in the back and it was very hot), I got into the car, put it in to reverse with my foot on the brake and it surged backwards going very fast. It almost hit a lady but I was able to slam down hard on the brakes and stop it. I then drove it limping along because it wouldn't' shift, to the nearest dealer. There they replaced the throttle body and some fluids and charged me $1000. It hasn't happened since but now that I know it is a common problem and can reoccur, I am looking for another vehicle to replace this one.

- Bentonville, AR, USA

Aug 102012

Freestyle 6-cyl

I was pulling in to walmart parking lot pulled up behind a parked vehicle I was almost stopped when my car accelerated it was almost like some one pushed my gas pedal to the floor I had to jump on the brake pedal with both feet then the car stalled and when I restarted the car I had no power I had to shut the car off then restarted it again then it was fine.

- Ticonderoga, NY, USA

Sep 012011

Freestyle 6-cyl

While stopped in a line of traffic to get into a parking lot for a nfl football game, while having my foot on the brake the vehicle revved up and lunged forward bumping into the car in front of me. After pulling over and taking each others information, after getting back into the car and driving to parking space the car surged and lunged forward when turning the wheel to enter parking space.

- Plainfield, IL, USA

Sep 172012

Freestyle

Vehicle lunges while at zero or low speeds sometimes almost causing a collision with other vehicles or stationary items.

- Missoula, MT, USA

Sep 032012

Freestyle

I was backing up in the drive way and the car accelerated on it's own the engine rpgs went to 4000 without me pressing the gas. The call continued to accelerate until I pressed brakes and it stalled.

- Worcester, MA, USA

Jul 012012

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the vehicle would continue to abnormally accelerate when the accelerator pedal was released. The contact also stated that a wrench warning light illuminated after the failure. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was unknown and the current mileage was 102,385.

- Altoona, IA, USA

Oct 302007

Freestyle 6-cyl

The car lunges at low speeds (around 5 mph), when in both drive gear and reverse. It happens every time the car is put in and out of gear. No check engine light is displayed.

- Fitchburg, MA, USA

Sep 042012

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while stopped with the brakes applied, the engine rpms increased to 3,000 as the vehicle lunged forward abnormally. The vehicle then stalled without warning. The vehicle was not taken for inspection or repairs. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 93,800. The current mileage was 94,000.

- Pexarkana, AR, USA

Jul 052012

Freestyle

My car accelerates sometimes while my foot is on the brake pedal. It feels like it is jumping forward or something. Also when I turn on my air condition my car, if in motion, will start to jump forward even though you have your foot on the brake. It even cut off on me several times with the air conditioning on. I now just drive without air at all because I am scared that my car will just stop on me. Also my air only works on the highest level.

- Phenix City, AL, USA

Aug 302012

Freestyle 6-cyl

2006 Ford Freestyle at low speeds all of a sudden lunges both in reverse or in drive.

- Faribault, MN, USA

Sep 082009

Freestyle

I have a 2006 Ford Freestyle with the same problem, the SUV lunging forward when in drive or if your in reverse it does it to. I also have a fail safe issues the little wrench lite comes on and acts like it's going to die, and when you turn the key off and wait a couple of seconds then restart the car it is fine. Also I go through rear brakes like candy. Why isn't there anybody making Ford accountable fore these problems.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Sep 012012

Freestyle

Anytime I go from park to reverse or drive at idle speed my car lunges. On this particular day I was backing out of a parking spot. The car lunged so hard it through codes and the wrench on the dash lite up and car lost all acceleration power. I parked the car and drove it the next day and the power was back and the wrench was not lite anymore. It really scares me to drive this car.

- Saginaw, TX, USA

Sep 012011

Freestyle

My 2006 Ford Freestyle limited has major electrical problems. I have had the car lunge on me, at 0mph it would lunge forward, and in reverse. Fortunately I had my foot on the brake every time. I don't think it is the transmission. I have a feeling that it is all electrical. I have had the lunging problem since last year. (2011) and the car has been deteriorating since. Yesterday I got "check charging system" and now it kills all of the lights and gauges... yet it still kind of ran.(not very good up hill, and no indicator lights, no speedometer nothing.)another recent problem I have is the center engine (shock?)mount is busted.

- Waynesville, OH, USA

Nov 192010

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds the vehicle lunge forward. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 65,000 and the current mileage was 113,000.

- Greensburg, KS, USA