2006 Ford Freestyle engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Freestyle:

2006 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 8 of 30)

Jan 012010

Freestyle 6-cyl

Vehicle would lunge forward when letting off brake in 2010. Ford replaced the throttle body under warranty at that time. The car started lunging again several times in June 2012 and in July the wrench light came on. Dealership advised us to replace the throttle body once again.

- Burleson, TX, USA

Jul 062011

Freestyle 6-cyl

I purchased my Ford Freestyle about a month ago and began struggling almost immediately with the car lunging forward (or backward) unexpectedly when at a stop. If my foot is on the brake, my engine races as if the car has a mind of its own and is overriding my will to remain stationery, and greatly increases the RPM's. if my foot is not on the brake or is lightly on the brake, the car lunges forward (or backward if in reverse), putting pedestrians or cars in our path at risk of being run over. Please advise as to how to repair this problem. Thank you.

- Helena, MT, USA

Jul 122012

Freestyle 6-cyl

I was parking my vehicle in the local walmart lot and the vehicle lunged forward. I pushed the brakes to stop it from going to far and the engine cut off. This is not the first time it has lunged forward, in fact it has done that several times in the past since 2009. I decided to investigate the cause this time because my engine cut off. That never happened before. I'd like to know if Ford is going to recall or fix this issue or if they will ignore it like the other 248 complaints they've gotten about this same issue.

- Pocatello, ID, USA

Jul 012011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Car lurches randomly. This happens when I pull into my garage or parking space, back out of the garage or a parking space. When I am stopped at a traffic signal I have to make sure that I have my foot planted firmly on the brake pedal for fear that the car might choose that opportunity to lurch ahead, especially if I am the first car stopped at an intersection. I do not feel safe in my car now.

- Willoughby, OH, USA

Jul 022012

Freestyle 6-cyl

While driving at a low rate of speed the vehicle will lunge in forward and reverse.

- Glenpool, OK, USA

Jul 112012

Freestyle 6-cyl

Experiencing engine surging while maneuvering in a parking garage. Most noticeable while in reverse.

- Simi Valley, CA, USA

Jun 272012

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while stopped at a stop light, the vehicle suddenly lunged forward. The contact stated that the failure was most noticeable when the air conditioner was activated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for a diagnostic test. The mechanic stated that the throttle body would have to be reset. The mechanic referred the contact to the dealer because he could not perform the repair. There was an investigation under NHTSA action number: PE11018 (vehicle speed control) that may be related to the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 180,000.

- Hickory, NC, USA

Aug 252011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Beginning about August of 2011 my car started to suddenly "jump" forward even if my foot was not on the accelerator and even when my foot was on the brake. I was able to apply my brakes hard enough to make it stop and I immediately put the car in park. It happened at least 2 more times in the week that followed. I had a friend look at the car, but then it did not start to do it again until this week. Several times the car jolted forward once I even had my foot firmly on the brake. I had to really push on the brake as I put the car in park to keep from hitting the car immediately in front of me. Each time I was able to step on the brakes and put the car in park. Even in park the engine would rev to higher than usual rpms. I turned the car off and started it again to see if that would correct the issue. But a short time later it did the same thing. Then finally, my car died and I had a hard time starting it again. When it did start, I had a hard time trying to get it to drive. It was in gear, but it did not want to go forward, almost as if it was fighting the acceleration. I got it home and parked it. I will be taking my car to a Ford dealer this week to be looked at. But, when I did some research on the problem, I found there have been similar complaints so I wanted to make sure you were aware of mine as well. Do I have any recourse about the issue and the repair that will be required?

- Ft Leonard Wood , MO, USA

May 072012

Freestyle 6-cyl

During idle and foot on brake, the vehicle will attempt to accelerate and engine RPM's will go up. The vehicle will do this while at idle and at random times. I have experienced this in both drive and reverse settings. I have been able to reproduce this phenomenon while at idle and turning the steering wheel. The vehicle will attempt to lunge forward even while stopped in traffic. This has been happening without notice for some time.

- Bangor, ME, USA

Jul 022012

While foot on the brake the car lurched forward like the gas went by itself. Then at a stop light the light turned green and applied the gas. The car would not go. The gas peddle was all the way to the floor. Later I put the car in reverse and the car stalled and died. My wife is scared to death and is afraid it is going to crash into another car. I took the car to my trusted auto repair place. They stated this is a know problem with the Freestyles and surprised it was not recalled yet.

- St. Joseph, MI, USA

Jun 212012

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the vehicle surged forward while braking. The vehicle was difficult to control during the failure. The failure also occurred while in reverse and the vehicle stalled. The contact took the vehicle to a local mechanic for a diagnostic test. The test results indicated a faulty throttle body. The throttle body was not replaced. The failure mileage was 115,000.

- Dearborn, MI, USA

Jul 012008

We bought a used Ford Freestyle in 2008. Since that time, we have had recurring problems stemming from a defective throttle body. It has been in-and-out of the shop, while various mechanics tried to figure out the problem. Finally, approximately two years ago, I did my own research (discovered the countless reports of problems with the Freestyle) and specifically requested that the mechanic replace the throttle body. This was after having surges in rpms and lurching of the car (while sitting in traffic with no foot on the accelerator), and also dead stalls in the middle of intersections and oncoming traffic when attempting to accelerate. This fixed the problem until several months later. Next, we replaced the entire transmission last spring (the vehicle would shift down to first gear at cruising speed, e.g., on the interstate, then go into "limp" mode). In addition, apparently there is also a systemic issue with the design of the Ford's scroll compressor, which began showing symptoms this past spring. Thankfully my (new) mechanic replaced a $40 valve in the compressor, instead of the entire $1000 compressor (which the Ford folks recommended). Approximately two years later, we are replacing the throttle body for a second time today (it is currently in the shop) because of issues with surges in acceleration and stalling in traffic and loss of power. The mechanic just told me, "as a friend, I'm telling you: As soon as this car is fixed, you need to sell it. You will continue to have recurring problems with it." We bought this vehicle for around $10,000, and I'd estimate we have spent nearly that much in repairs over the past four years. I'm just thankful that my wife and children were not seriously injured in the meantime. How can Ford sell such an unsafe vehicle with no recourse? as soon as I can afford another vehicle, I'm selling this Freestyle.

- Auburn, AL, USA

Jul 042012

Freestyle 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while waiting in traffic, the vehicle accelerated and the check engine light illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact was able to stop the acceleration by applying the brakes. The vehicle was not taken the dealer for inspection or repairs. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure and the current mileage was 109,000. Updated 08/01/12 updated 08/02/12

- Trenton , MI, USA

Feb 052012

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated when the vehicle was in reverse, the rpms increased excessively. He had to depress the brake very hard to stop the vehicle from moving. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who cleaned the injectors and replaced the throttle body in July 2009. The contact stated that the failure recurred. The vehicle was not taken back to the dealer for inspection. The manufacturer was not notified to report the most recent failure. The failure mileage was 52,156 and the current mileage was 90,000.

- San Benito, TX, USA

May 242012

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the vehicle would lunge forward abnormally when coming to a complete stop. The vehicle was taken to a personal mechanic for diagnosis and the contact was told the throttle body needed to be replaced. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 117,000. The VIN was not available.

- Brunswick, OH, USA

Jul 012012

Freestyle 6-cyl

While searching for a parking space in a busy mall parking lot, traveling at low speeds, the car lunged. I did not have my foot on the gas and had to brake hard to keep it from moving forward. This happened three times and the wrench light came on. I found a parking space and when I returned to the car the light was off. A minor version of above did occur again. Now it constantly idles higher and it has produced the same lunge but not as noticeable multiple times. My A/C was on high and the outside temp. Was high during these occurrences.

- Pasadena, MD, USA

Jul 012012

Freestyle 6-cyl

While navigating and entering a car wash vehicle suddenly accelerated while my foot was on the brake and I nearly struck the car in front of me. I applied hard brakes and vehicle stopped. Vehicle then stalled out. Vehicle was placed in neutral and I turned it back on. Upon putting it into drive the vehicle lunged forward and stopped when brakes were applied.

- Woodstock, GA, USA

Jun 012012

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that she stopped the vehicle and the vehicle accelerated independently as the brakes were partially depressed. The contact stated that the vehicle jerked forward with engine rpms at 500. In addition, the contact had to depress the brake pedal abruptly in order to get the vehicle to slow down. The contact notified the manufacturer and they informed her that there was not a recall but there was an investigation of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Alamogordo, NM, USA

Jun 232012

Freestyle 6-cyl

While driving on the interstate I71/I75 my rear brakes locked up. My brake pads were cutting into my rotors. After checking the brakes when I got back home I found that the rear brake calipers were frozen on both sides (rear left rear right). The rotors, calipers and brake pads had to be replaced. Now remember the car has only 21,900 miles on it.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Apr 032012

I was parked outside my apartment, went to put my vehicle in reverse and it lunged backward and then the vehicle shutoff. Once I got my car to start again I went to drive off and it lunged forward. This is an everyday occurrence with my vehicle.

- San Diego , CA, USA