2006 Ford Freestyle engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Freestyle:

2006 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 9 of 30)

Jun 182012

Freestyle 6-cyl

We were in line at a fast food drive thru and the vehicle suddenly lunged forward, the tach RPM went from about 800 RPM (idle) to about 2600 RPM. Foot was on the brake at the time so it only moved about 6 inches. We parked in the parking lot and were ready to go and it did it again. An engine lite came on that indicated something from the transmission to the throttle was amiss. We shut the car off and waited a few minutes and restarted the car and the engine lite was off. So far we have not had another incidence and its been a week and about 300 miles since the occurrence.

- Kent, OH, USA

May 192012

Freestyle 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph, the vehicle suddenly decelerated and surged forward. The contact continued to depress the accelerator pedal but the vehicle would not accelerate more than 18 mph. The vehicle was towed to a transmission shop. The mechanic stated that the electronic throttle body would have to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. There was an investigation under NHTSA action number: PE11018 (vehicle speed control) that may be related to the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 66,000. Updated 8/6/12 updated 08/15/2012

- North Royalton, OH, USA

Apr 012012

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact the stated that the vehicle lunged forward or backward, whether in drive or reverse. The contact resolved the failure by shifting into park and then back into drive or reverse. The failure had occurred previously. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer or repair shop for a diagnostic test. The manufacturer was not made aware. The failure and current mileages were 64,635.

- Taylor, MI, USA

Mar 142012

This vehicle lunges forward and backward at low speeds, usually at 5-10 mph. This regularly happens when I am parking my car in reverse and right when I am speeding up. Sometimes my foot is not on the accelerator pedal. It mostly happens when I am reverse parking my car and I am slowly moving the steering wheel with my foot off of the accelerator pedal and my foot very slightly pressed on brakes. I have gone to the Ford dealership and they said that it was a transmission problem. We got it checked at a transmission specialist and they said the transmission is fine. I have been reading various articles online about this issue and it is exactly the same problem that I have. Note: I bought this car in Florida and brought it to Canada with me.

- Coconut Creek, FL, USA

Jun 212012

Freestyle 6-cyl

While driving the Ford revs up and down, while it is doing this it lurches forward and I lose all dashboard instruments, I cannot use the air conditioning because it makes the problem worse.the scary part is I have my family in the car when all this happens. On Thursday June 21 I was driving down the highway at 50miles an hour when suddenly the car RPM revved up and down on its own the speedometer went out, the lights all flashed. The car was lurching forward, and it was worse when I was attempting to slow down. My daughter stated"I am scared" I cannot believe that this has not been recalled, when we were at the Ford dealership we bought the car from we told them what was happening, they didn't even offer to look at the car or seem to care. The problem is very unpredictable, one day it runs good then all of the sudden it freaks out.

- Oak Harbor, WA, USA

Jun 212012

Freestyle 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that she shifted into reverse in an attempt to reverse from a parking space when the vehicle abnormally accelerated. The check engine light was illuminated as the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle and proceed without the failure recurring. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure and the current mileage was 90,000.....updated 08-24-12 the consumer stated the brake pedal was depressed when the vehicle abnormally accelerated. The vehicle was taken to dealer and was told the throttle body and top motor mount needed to be replaced. Updated 08/29/2012

- Lawrenceburg , KY, USA

Jul 302011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Vehicle lurches and lunges forward when parking the vehicle or backing out of a parking space. I purchased the vehicle used nearly a year ago and have had the lurching problem at least a dozen times. It is sporadic and unexpected each time it happens. I have come extremely close to hitting other parked cars, parking barriers and even my own garage door. I am very thankful that I have not hit a person. Today it happened as I was backing out of a parking spot at the mall. I had never had the problem in reverse and it caught me off guard. I was extremely close to hitting the car behind me. This problem is extraordinarily frightening and with very little research I was able to see that it is an extremely common problem. I am appalled that a problem this widespread and dangerous has not been addressed by Ford.

- Holland, MI, USA

Jul 022010

Vehicle suddenly lurches forward without pressing the accelerator. Seems to happen when just starting to move or sometimes while coming to a stop.

- Magnolia, TX, USA

May 022011

Freestyle 6-cyl

While idling the car will lunge forward and (reverse in separate incidents) all by its self. This continously happens. I have even had my foot on the brake and it does this. I have not noticed any consistency with the incidents other than when the air conditioner is on it is worse. This is extremely dangerous. It happens no matter where I am, in the drive way or parking lot at preschool where there are pedestrians around and I have no control over my car. Sometimes after the car lunges (and it happens forward and reverse) the car will stall and then when I turn it on the wrench/check engine light comes on and the car will drive but feels like it is bogging down. I have contacted Ford about this and they claim they have never heard of it before. Someone is going to get seriously hurt.

- Roselle, IL, USA

Mar 132012

Vehicle suddenly accelerates at low speed both when moving forward and when backing up. This sometimes results in a stall. Vehicle also lost low end power.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Jun 142012

The car idled high while in a drive through line with a foot on the brake, it did this twice. After it idled back down and my wife removed her foot from the brake, the car lunged forward. Luckily, there was enough distance between the cars to avoid an accident. She slammed her foot back on the brake, the car idled a little longer then died.

- Oak Ridge, TN, USA

Apr 012012

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the vehicle abnormally accelerated while the gear was in drive or reverse. The failure was experienced numerous times. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer to have a diagnostic performed. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000 and the current mileage was 160,000.

- Desoto , TX, USA

May 232012

Freestyle 6-cyl

When attempting to pull out of driveway or parking space while the air conditioner is on vehicle lunges without foot on accelerator, sometimes looses power. Has caused vehicle to shut down in oncoming traffic.

- Rio Linda, CA, USA

Freestyle 6-cyl

Car was sitting, parked in a lot, idling for about 10 minutes with the air conditioner running. When I put it in drive and let my foot off the brake, the car lunged forward as the RPM's first revved and then dropped. The car did this a few times, but once I got turned around toward the exit of the lot, it stopped doing it. About 20 minutes later, in a grocery store parking space, it did the same thing as I was backing out to leave. The car had sat running for another 10 minutes or so with the air on. This time however, the car idled up and then down, lunged in reverse, and then idled so low it died. Once I restarted it and finished backing out of the space, I turned the air down to low fan speed and the car was fine the rest of the trip back home.

- Holland , MI, USA

Dec 092009

I purchased my 2006 Ford Freestyle in June of 2007. Initially I fell in love with the comfort, size, and gas mileage of my new car. Around 2 1/2 yrs later I started noticing when moving from park to reverse my car would sometimes stall or lunge backwards. It was only occasionally and at the time I was told I probably didn't have it in gear all the way before reversing. I had to switch from park to reverse very slowly and always be ready to hit the brake in case it decided to lunge on its own. This problem has almost completely gone away except now I have problems accelerating. Almost always on the highway now my car will loose power and the wrench light will come on. Once I pull over and restart it, it seems to temporarily solve the problem. This is however beyond dangerous. Several times this has happened in places on busy highways where there is no shoulder. I have to travel in the slow lane now 100% of the time and I try to avoid major interstate at all costs. I have invested a great deal of money into several different things that have turned out to not be the problem. I feel like this car should have been recalled by now, before it ends up killing someone. I bought this car because it seemed like a great family car but now I am scared to death to even let children ride with me. I am also very upset that after paying down over a 20K loan to 5K that I will have to buy another car. I planned on having this car for years and years. I attempted in 2009 and in 2011 to trade the car in for a new car and the $ value of trade in is very low. The dealerships are well aware of the problems and offer a very small amount for a 7 passenger 2006 with only 85K miles on and it gets great gas mileage compared to most SUVS or vans that seat 7.

- Columbus , GA, USA

Mar 012008

My Freestyle lunges forward often and backward sometimes. We've taken it in for a number of expensive repairs, yet it persists. A few times the mechanic hasn't been able to get a code for what the problem is. It is worse when the A/C is on but happens other times as well. The scariest was exiting a freeway on an uphill exit ramp with cars behind me. It died, I restarted, and then at the stop sign it lurched forward about 6 ft. Despite my braking. Just a few days ago, I was pulling into my driveway (minimal incline) and it lurched then died. I have to park close to the wall in my garage, and I'm scared it will someday run into it or hit another vehicle or person.

- Visalia, CA, USA

Jun 072012

Freestyle 6-cyl

Car surges when idling. Seems more in hot weather but am told it is the throttle body that has to be replaced and is a known problem with all of them for 6-7 years now.

- Fairburn, GA, USA

Jun 102012

While at a stop light waiting to make a left turn with the air conditioner on, the RPM shot up and the the car started to lunge forward. I almost hit someone in the cross walk before the car killed in the middle of the intersection. This has happen many times according to my wife this is her car and I never drive it. After reading all the complaints about the throttle body I decided to post my story. Please help before someone gets hurt or worse killed. Also it was hard to restart and very slugish till we shut off the air. My wife has told me that this has been going on for almost a year but that I really didn't know how bad it was till it happened to me. There really needs to be a recall on this before it is to late.

- Plymouth, MN, USA

Jun 192010

In the summer when the A/C is running when I'm backing up or pulling forward it many times will unexpectedly lunge. I've almost hit people and kids, cars, curbs, buildings, etc. Many of the times that it lunges it will stall or begin to run very rough. We have to put the car in park and cut off the car and restart. Many of those times it will begin to run normal but have a indicator light that it needs mechanical attention. Once the car is parked and sits for a while when it is started the mechanical attention light will discontinue. Yet every time the A/C is running especially on high it will lunge almost every time. It is very dangerous in that if my foot would not be on the brake hard enough when it lunges and a kid or person would be in the line of the lunging car. Dangerous!

- Lynn Haven, FL, USA

Jun 102012

Sitting at a light with my foot on the brake and my car starts lunging forward.

- Noblesville, IN, USA