2006 Ford Freestyle engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Freestyle:

2006 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 1 of 30)

Oct 102016

Freestyle

Upon utilizing the drive through of a fast food restaurant, the breaks were being feathered to creep up to the window; the 2006 Ford Freestyle lunged forward unexpectedly and almost hit a women and her kid crossing in front of the car; I moved the car from the drive through and stopped at the edge of the parking lot before continuing onto the side street; at this time when I moved my foot off the break the car again unexpectedly lunged forward sticking the nose of my car out into traffic, cars swerved into the far lane to avoid colliding with the front of my car. I immediately brought the car to the Ford service dealer. Upon arriving at the Ford dealership it was diagnosed that the throttle body was failing, additional research revealed that Ford issue an extended warranty for a cleaning of the throttle body; however the dealership indicated that the throttle body needed to be replaced as it is faulty, the cleaning wouldn┐T suffice.

- Escondido, CA, USA

Aug 032016

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. While driving 35 mph, the accelerator pedal failed to respond when depressed. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the throttle body failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 151,420.

- Stockton, CA, USA

Jul 312016

Freestyle

Long story short....my vehicle will increase throttle on it's own when sitting at a light in traffic or without traffic. Sometimes when I release the brake to take off it will throttle up just before and then stall out. I am only able to restart the car if I turn of the air conditioning. Today as with many other days, the throttle increased while attempting to slowly back out of a parking space. I slammed on the brakes to get the car to stop as the throttle contiued to increase and then stall out. I have noticed severely increasing incidents of this happening and am scared to drive my car. I have no other options. Please help me with this issue. I don't want to die or kill someone else because the car seems to have a mind of its own and my efforts to control the car are futile at times.

- Greenwood, DE, USA

Jul 012015

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. While driving at low speeds in traffic, the vehicle began to independently surge forward without warning. The contact had to turn the steering wheel towards the median to avoid crashing into another vehicle. The vehicle stalled, but was able to be restarted. The failure recurred. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 170,000.

- Canal Winchester, OH, USA

Jan 012012

Freestyle

This makes the second time I have complained about this problem. It seems that Ford has no plans to rectify the "throttle body" issue although there are many that have voiced the same concern with their vehicles. This issue is a severe safety risk. I have had several incidences, all involving surging, followed by a sudden loss of power. There have also been instances of sudden loss of power upon acceleration after idling at a stop sign or red light. This happens randomly and there is no warning beforehand. Once, I was passing a truck and pulled into the passing lane and the Freestyle completely lost power. I was "hanging" in the passing lane with no power and no way to avert a collision had there been oncoming traffic or traffic behind me. Thank goodness, I had time to brake and force the Freestyle onto the shoulder. This also happenes at stop signs and red lights when I accelerate. Very dangerous.

- Allen, OK, USA

Jan 022012

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the vehicle lunged forward without depressing the brake pedal. In addition, the vehicle experienced a loss of power sporadically while driving approximately 70 mph. The check engine and service warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the throttle body valve was sticking and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The failure mileage was approximately 90,000.

- Ashville, AL, USA

Dec 172015

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle accelerated and decelerated independently as the check engine warning light illuminated. The contact also stated that when the air condition was activated, the vehicle would lunge forward. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but the failure was unable to be determined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 150,081.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Jun 212011

Freestyle

While driving the cars rpms will accelerate the car, in drive or reverse, I must be aware so that I do not hit anyone/anything and brake. At times once I brake the car will turn off, I will get a wrench or engine or both. This can also occur while at a red light.

- Homestead, FL, USA

Sep 142015

Freestyle

The car completely turn off while driving on the freeway. There is also a feel of power lost on take off while.driving. And I have read there's been concerns about the throttle body malfunction.

- Stockbrige, GA, USA

Aug 252014

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. While driving at approximately 60 mph, there was a sudden increase of engine rpms and the vehicle accelerated independently. The vehicle was merged over to the side of the road, where it was turned off and restarted in order to continue driving home. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 137,000.

- Lakewood, WA, USA

Jul 212015

Freestyle

We have a 2006 Ford Freestyle I was driving on the highway at 70 miles per hour and the car lost all power. I pulled over shut the car off and than say awhile and started back up and it started going again fine. A few miles down the road it did the same. Thank god I was near a auto body shop after pulling over 6 times anyway mechanic said that the throttle body is bad. I looked this up and noticed there was a major issues with Ford and this part. As far as I know there has not been a recall when we asked. But I have seen many complaints about this is many cars. This is very dangerous and lots have complained about the safety. As you have no idea that the car will randomly stop. I could have been killed on that highway. Somoene needs to do something about this!

- Griggsville , IL, USA

Jun 222015

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. While driving approximately 30 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and the vehicle suddenly accelerated. The contact stated that the service engine warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the throttle body failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 128,889.

- Sanford, FL, USA

Jun 052009

Freestyle

When put into drive or reverse car accelerates or lungs without using gas peddle, this happens many times. Took to mechanic they down loaded Ford update to computer did not fix problem. We always have brake depressed when put into gear or it will move violently.

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Apr 112015

Freestyle 6-cyl

Driving down the interstate in traffic the engine stalls wrench light came on, leaving me with no power to control my speed. As my car quickly reduces speed on a major interstate I attempt to get over to the shoulder out of harms way. This is happened 4 times, the latest time our check engine light came on and stays on. P2104, P2100, P2112, and P0325 codes are present. I have seen Ford has recalled 1.6 million electronic throttle body in Ford escape, Mercury mariner, and Mercury Milan vehicles with the same 3.0L engine and same electronic throttle body. All Ford has to do is to list the Ford Freestyle as one of these recall vehicles for the etb to be repaired/replaced. This is a very scary situation to be in with children in the car and you have no power to you accelerator to get out of the way of speeding vehicles all around you!! I don't know what to do, very expensive to replace the etb.

- Brownsburg, IN, USA

Apr 122015

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. While driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle suddenly accelerated without warning. The contact stated that the failure previously occurred. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The contact stated that the throttle body was cleaned under an extended warranty in August of 2012. The contact also stated that the rpms revved when the failure occurred and it was very difficult to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 143,000.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Apr 132015

Freestyle 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the vehicle would accelerate without warning. Previously, the failure only occurred while the air conditioner was activated; but began occurring every time the vehicle was started. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 67,000. Updated 11/19/15

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Apr 102015

Freestyle 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. While driving at 50 mph, the vehicle decelerated and stalled. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the electronic throttle body control needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 106,000. Updated 5/19/15 updated 7/1/2015

- Bluffton, SC, USA

Apr 082015

Freestyle

I just buy a 2006 Ford Freestyle and since day one I have savety problem with this car, some time the speed change with out my knowledge, it goes from 40 to 45 or try to spedd wit out me hitting on the gas. Everyday the car stop and turn off no matter speed I`am driving on. I went to many garage and Ford dealer and they told me is a problem they having with most Ford 2006 Freestyle. I think for the safety of all people who using this 2006 Ford Freestyles with their family on borad, with their kids on board and to save a lifes we have to recall this cars. This 2006 fordstyle can`T be fixe or repair.....

- Baton Rouge , LA, USA

Sep 042013

Freestyle 6-cyl

When it had the air condition on I kept jumping. I was scared it was going hit another car. Then I was on the expressway going 60 trying to pass a semi to get over and to get off and the car lost all power (shut off)omg panic. Started it up about 10 times before I got it back home.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Aug 202014

Freestyle 6-cyl

Engine surges at idle speed, and when taking corners. It is also worse when air conditioner is on. Very dangerous condition when not expected. I had it looked at by my local Ford dealer, but it has continued.Ford so called cleaning of throttle body did nothing to alleviate the problem.

- North Kingstown, RI, USA