2007 Ford Freestyle engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Ford Freestyle:

2007 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 13 of 21)

Jul 112010

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated while driving with the air conditioner on, the vehicle was shifting gears and the rpms increased excessively. The brakes were depressed and the vehicle lunged forward. The failure increased due to the hot weather while the air conditioner was on. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who performed a diagnostic test but was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 46,200. Updated 09/28/11 updated 3/22/12

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jul 232011

Freestyle 6-cyl

My 2007 Ford Freestyle lurches at idle. It also cuts off when the air conditioning is running and I turn the wheel sharply.

- Tega Cay, SC, USA

Jun 142011

Freestyle 6-cyl

I own a 2007 Ford Freestyle. After the second year of owning this vehicle I had problems with the accelerator. It would accelerate when slowing down to a stop sign/light/or parking and also when I would go in reverse. At times it would shut down completely. I went in for service at Ford and they couldn't figure it out the problem since it didn't occur all the time. Lately the problem got worse I went in for service and they finally figured out it was the throttle. I have an extended warranty which covered the $800 + bill although I believe this should have been a recall. I was very fortunately I didn't get into an accident over this problem.

- Bonita Springs, FL, USA

May 122011

Freestyle 6-cyl

The contact owns 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the vehicle would accelerate in reverse when first started and the contact shifted into either drive or reverse. When depressing the brakes to stop the unintended acceleration, the vehicle would stall without warning. The vehicle was not inspected. The failure and current mileage was unknown. Updated 09/28/2011

- Goose Creek, SC, USA

Freestyle 6-cyl

Started my 2007 Ford Freestyle in a parking lot put it in reverse and all of a sudden it lunged backwards almost hitting a pedestrian. It has been doing this for about 6 months now but this is the first time someone was almost hit. It usually does it when shifting into forward or reverse from neutral took it into dealership it first started and they did some sort of software update ( they claim) but it has never fixed the problem. Information redacted pursuant to the Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA), 5 U.S.C. 552(B)(6)

- Kent, WA, USA

Jul 142011

Freestyle 6-cyl

2007 Ford Freestyle when vehicle is idling it has a tendency to lurch. This occurs when the air conditioning is on, or when both A/C is on and turning the wheel. This issue is not consistent and is unpredictable when it will occur.

- West Jordan, UT, USA

Freestyle 6-cyl

I have a 2007 Ford Freestyle. When the air conditioning is on the car will jump forward. The wrench light will come on and I have to turn the car off and back on to get rid of the light. Yesterday it did the same thing and now the engine light is staying on and will not go off. So far I have kept from hitting anything by reacting quickly and slamming on my brakes or turning the air off or sitting with my foot on the brake but one of these days I may hit a car or a person. Very dangerous situation.

- Jeffersonville, IN, USA

Freestyle

My 2007 Ford Freestyle will lunge in forward and reverse. It stalled last night when it was in reverse and this happened. It is happening more often. This is very frightening and could easily cause an accident.

- Fleming, OH, USA

Jun 102011

Freestyle

I purchased a 2007 Ford Freestyle on May 05 2011 and started having problems within the second month of having the car but I also heard a loud noise when you turn the wheel sharply to the right, and I told the finance person and he said ok we'll take care of that and they never did. Then now we are in the third month of having this vehicle, and now it cuts off right in the middle of me backing up and the ac on and I would have to turn the car off and restart again. Then the car acts as though its revving up and you could be at a stop light and it will rev up and you would have to really place your foot hard on the brake to keep it from hitting another car in front of you. Took the car several times to the dealership and they said the first time they did not know. They did a diagnostic check up and said they could not find anything. The last time they tell me its the throttle body and then the gentleman proceeded to tell me that's been a big problem with these cars since they have came out. So this company knows they are selling lemons to people and they don't even care.

- Concord, NC, USA

Freestyle 6-cyl

When my Ford Freestyle idles (it seems mostly in hot weather) for more than even 2 minutes when I put it in gear forward and reverse the car lunges even if my foot is on the brake. It does this every time the weather is hot or if my car idles for any period of time. I have just began researching what the problem could be and see many people have the same issue. I have not yet replaced any parts. Most of what I read stated transmission trouble or throttle body problems is the cause.

- Smithville, MO, USA

May 012011

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated the vehicle lunged forward while driving in reverse with the brake pedal depressed or in drive at a low speed. The failure was experienced numerous times. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer to be diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 58,000 and the current mileage was 60,000.

- Colorado Spring , CO, USA

Jul 132011

Freestyle

On several occasions my 2007 Ford Freestyle has lurched forward without me stepping on the gas. Typically it happens as I am idling and I go to step on the brake (forcing me to break hard), or when I am easing up on the break (I.e., instead of slowly moving, the car lunges forward).

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Jul 132011

Freestyle

My 2007 Ford Freestyle lunges in both forward and reverse occasionally. Usually heavily applying the break will stop the car. This typically happens at very low speeds when I am parking the car or getting out of a parking space (at the grocery store, ect...). the instances occur more often in the summer time, in hot weather and when the A/C is on. It is a very dangerous defect, especially since it occurs often in parking lots or at school when I am dropping my kids off, as there are lots of pedestrians. I have submitted a previous complaint on this issue, but have heard nothing. This problem has occurred for the past 3 years.

- Maumelle, AR, USA

May 152011

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. While the vehicle was parked the contact attempted to place the vehicle and it suddenly lunged forward. The failure also occurred while driving in reverse. The failure occurred intermittently; however, over time had become progressively worse and more consistent. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostics. The vehicle was not repaired. There was an investigation under NHTSA action number: PE11018 (vehicle speed control) that may be related to the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 65,000.

- Rochester Hills, MI, USA

Jun 072010

Freestyle 6-cyl

Throttle body replaced 6/7/10 due to lunging while car was being parked and one occurrence in reverse, as well as car dieing when pulling out into oncoming traffic. There were many occurrences of lunging and acceleration pause before taking into dealership. The first time I took it in they could not duplicate issue. Next time we were able to duplicate and they replaced the throttle body. Car seemed to function properly until July 2011. Exact same behavior is now taking place lunging typically when idling then moving to acceleration and then stopping such as at a light or parking. Also, paused acceleration (potentially could die, acts like it will) when pulling out from a stopped position. Again, I took it into the dealership and they could not duplicate. I am waiting for a monitor to be placed on the car to confirm activity and problem parts. Everyone we have spoken with assumes the throttle body is the issue again but being such an expensive part, confirmation would be preferred before replacing again.

- Fayetteville, AR, USA

Jun 302011

Freestyle 6-cyl

About three months ago I bought a 2007 Ford Freestyle. One day when me, my daughter, and my granddaughter went shopping, in warner robins Georgia my car stopped right in the middle of traffic and cut off. We just about had people hit us in all different directions. So I turned the car off and turned it back on and drove into the parking lot and called the people I bought the car from. They told us to bring the car too them. Well a couple days later when I was suppose to take the car to them it turned off two times in one day! I had bought all of the available warranty I could buy when I bought the car, but today the dealership called me back and said that it is the throttle body, and that no matter if you fix it, it can continue to mess up (and it is not on the warranty!!!), and the cost of the part to fix it is $670. I am unsatisfied and scared to drive it and I feel like its a big safety risk!!! I don't want to continue driving it with it turning off in the middle of traffic. It makes me scared and I am nervous for my family!! I have read on the internet that alot of people have had problems with the throttle body for there 2007 Ford Freestyle!!

- Byromville, GA, USA

Jul 152011

Freestyle 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while driving 10 mph with the air conditioner on, the vehicle began to surge forward and the tachometer began to display a very high reading. Excessive pressure was applied to the brake pedal to slow the vehicle down. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the throttle body was replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 58,592. The consumer submitted the invoices for the repairs. Updated 08/30/11

- Sandy, UT, USA

Jul 142011

Freestyle

My car has been lunging for the last few weeks, and I almost hit another car. Last week, when I got in, the wrench light came on. I immediately started driving to the dealer. I lost power for a few seconds and then my car would hardly shift. The lunging was the really scary thing, and now they are saying my transmission needs to be replaced, and it is out of warranty by one month.

- Norman, OK, USA

May 102011

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the vehicle was intermittently surging for the past two months. The failures occurred while in drive or reverse. The failures were most prevalent when the vehicle was being slowed down or when accelerating. The failure mileage was 62,000 and the current mileage was 67,000.

- Yorktown, VA, USA

Jun 172011

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while driving approximately 5 mph, the vehicle lunged forward and the throttle control light illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact also stated that the failure occurred when the vehicle was in reverse. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostics. The vehicle was not repaired. There was an investigation open under NHTSA action number: PE11018 (vehicle speed control) that may be related to the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 68,000.

- Council Bluffs, IA, USA