2007 Ford Freestyle engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Ford Freestyle:

2007 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 12 of 21)

May 152011

2007 Ford Freestyle lunged twice in may, 2011 while pulling into parking spot. Incident happened at 55,000 miles. Slammed on brakes and did not hit neighboring vehicles. Early in June 2011, had our ac replaced which was not working. Immediately after ac was working again, car lunged, wrench light appeared and vehicle stalled during a low speed turn. Car proceeded to lunge and surge regularly when it was put in reverse or drive. With foot firmly on brake and putting the car in park, rpms would go between 3000 and 5000. Then car would die. With experimenting, car would not do it when air conditioning was turned off. We researched internet and learned about surging and throttle body problems. Had fuel induction service performed and have not had recurrence in 90+ days. Did not replace throttle body yet but suspect it will be clogged up again with time and mileage. We can't predict when the surging will happen. We will not let our teenager drive this vehicle. It is very unsafe and needs to be recalled for this reason.

- Auburn, AL, USA

Jun 012011

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that that vehicle would suddenly surge forward when the throttle body indicator symbol would illuminate on the instrument panel. The dealer advised the contact to repair the throttle body. The manufacturer was aware of the failure. The current mileage was 91,300. The vehicle had not been repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 91,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Byromville, GA, USA

Jul 192011

Freestyle 6-cyl

We purchased a 2007 Ford Freestyle on July 18, 2011 from a reputable dealership in little rock, ar. On July 19,2011 we experienced three unexpected "lunges" of the car, all at slow speeds or stopped. It has happened at least one more time within the past 10 days. It was/is quite unnerving.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Jul 302011

Freestyle 6-cyl

My 2007 Ford Freestyle lunged forward yesterday while it was in park at an atm. I noticed that the wrench light came on after this happened. I continued to move forward and noticed that the car was not accelerating properly. At the stop light I turned off the car and restarted it, the wrench light went off and the car seemed to be back to normal. I am scared that it will happen again and result in a wreck, since I had no control over it.

- Merry Hill, NC, USA

Jul 292011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Dangerous vehicle surge while foot on brake. This same event has happened many other times.

- Albertville, AL, USA

Jul 232011

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated while the engine was idle the vehicle unexpectedly accelerated in reverse and drive although his foot was not on the accelerator or brake pedal. The dealer was contacted and they stated the vehicle was functioning properly. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 41,000 and the current mileage was 42,000.

- Wilmingon, DE, USA

Jul 042010

Freestyle 6-cyl

July 4 2010 car suddenly lunged forward and then stopped. Able to restart but could not get any speed. Able to get to Ford dealer who diagnosed trottle body problem, which could cost oer 700$. sprayed carbon cleaner in with gas, ok for a while, but it has happed several times since. Is there a recall.

- Laplata, MD, USA

Jul 272011

I have a 2007 Ford Freestyle. About 4 or 5 months ago when I would put the car in reverse or drive (from park) the engine would speed up and it would surge. It would do it maybe once a week. It has been doing it everyday for the past 2 is very scary. When it surges, you have to push harder on the brake to stop it from crashing into something or speeding off down the road.when you push harder on the brake the engine shuts off.I called the Ford dealership where I bought the vehicle and it was going to cost me over $940 to fix a problem(throttle body) that is not my fault nor was caused by me, and many other Ford Freestyles are having the same problem.there are 5 (including mine) that I know of that are having this problem, just in the small town that I live in. But the dealership will not fix it unless I pay $940, because Ford has not recalled it.

- Dyersburg, TN, USA

Jul 282011

My 2007 Ford Freestyle, on several occasions, has surged, or lunged on it's own, usually at low speeds and without my foot being anywhere near the gas pedal. I am listing one date on which this has happened, but it has happened many times and I am worried this could cause injury. Most of the time it happens in parking lots, where people might be walking near my vehicle when it happens.

- Post Falls, ID, USA

Jul 162011

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while driving at low speeds, the vehicle would surge forward. The vehicle was taken to a local repair shop, who diagnosed that the throttle body was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 44,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Edwardsville , KS, USA

Jan 282011

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the vehicle would jerk when shifted into park and surge forward when shifted into drive. The failures occurred on an intermittent basis. The vehicle was not taken to have the failure diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 50,000 and the current mileage was 53,000.

- Catonsville, MD, USA

Oct 012010

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the vehicle would lunge forward when shifted into drive or reverse, forcing her to apply heavy pressure to the accelerator pedal. The tacometer would display a reading of 2,500 rpms during the failure. Neither the dealer, nor the manufacturer were made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 58,226 and the current mileage was 69,900.

- Pitman, NJ, USA

Jun 202010

Freestyle 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that whenever the air conditioner was turned on, the engine would begin to rev and accelerate. The failure would also occur when the vehicle sat idle for any period of time. The vehicle was taken to an independent dealer, who advised the contact to take the vehicle to an authorized dealer. The vehicle was not yet taken to an authorized dealer. The failure mileage was 100,000 and the current mileage was 125,000. Updated 11/23/11 the consumer stated when the A/C was in use, the vehicle would accelerate on its own. Updated 11/30/11

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Jul 172011

Freestyle 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact was driving 25 mph with the air conditioner active when the vehicle lunged forward abnormally. The contact stated that the failure would recur when the air conditioner was activated and the vehicle would lunge either forward or in reverse without warning. The contact took the vehicle to a local mechanic where the throttle body was replaced but the failure persisted. The throttle was replaced a second time in an attempt to correct the failure. The contact stated she did not feel safe operating the vehicle. The failure mileage was 49,900. The consumer stated the vehicle is currently at the dealership updated 08/24/11 updated 08/24/11

- Stuart, FL, USA

Jun 152011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Starting at about 70,000 miles 2007 Ford Freestyle begin having intermittent problems with surging when accelerating in forward or reverse. Almost felt uncontrollable at times. It could be extremely dangerous, especially when backing out of a parking space and someone walks behind and you are having trouble controlling the surge! new throttle body purchased and induction system cleaned/new air filter-all told about $900 plus tax.

- Brentwood, TN, USA

Jul 202011

Several times my vehicle surges forward when moving at slow speeds or braking. This has happened while driving forward and reverse. More noticeable when the A/C is on. Even when my foot is on the brake. I can hear the engine revving when this is happening - even though my foot is on the also loses power on the freeway and becomes very sluggish in acceleration.the vehicle would lose power unexpectedly when driving 10 mph and up. Also I had a minor accident, the vehicle accelerated by itself and I hit a wall in my garage. Also, it would not go forward and when put in reverse it would accelerate--this happened in the middle of traffic during rush hour. We finally took it to the dealer to have it looked at, they told us it was the throttle body and our master tech guarantee did not cover the expense. All they did was clean the throttle up (is expected to have more problems later) because the cost was over $700 and we cannot afford it at the time. So, after we took it out of the shop the car is now only accelerating to no more than 4000

- Gainesville, TX, USA

Apr 272010

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that when reversing or placing the vehicle in drive, the vehicle would surge forward. The vehicle would also stall at any time. Neither the dealer nor the manufacturer were notified of the failure. The vehiclewas not repaired. The failure mileage was 78,000 and the current mileage was 79,950. The VIN was unavailable.

- Stillwater, OK, USA

Jul 252011

Freestyle 6-cyl

My 2007 Ford Freestyle would not accelerate when driving, pushed gas pedal all the way down to achieve 20-30 mph when going from stopped position under traffic light. Also, when putting the car in reverse and accelerating slowly, the car would jerk. When releasing foot from gas pedal, car jerked also instead of slowly decelerating. I had this repaired at a Ford dealership and was charged for repair of throttle body and related items. Final charge was $ $1,041.93.

- Macomb, MI, USA

Jul 212011

Freestyle 6-cyl

On a hot summer day in the Chicago, il Suburban area (7/21/2011, outside air temperature of 100 degrees F), I was completely stopped at a red traffic light. I was the first car in the lane of traffic awaiting the light to transition to green in order to proceed safely through the intersection. Suddenly and while my foot was completely depressing the brake pedal of the automatic transmission 2007 Ford Freestyle (with approximately 44,000 miles), the vehicle jumped forward (I.e., lunged) approximately 10-feet. While there was no other vehicle in front of my Freestyle, no collision was experienced. However, the lunge was significant enough that had another party's vehicle been in front of my Freestyle, I am very confident that a collision would have been experienced. The vehicle dashboard "wrench" symbol then illuminated. I was able to drive the vehicle to the Ford authorized service and sales dealer. The vehicle was slow to respond to acceleration in-route to the repair center. In other words, the vehicle "limped" to the service center. The Ford service representatives reported their diagnostic code readings were indicative of the need for a new throttle body assembly. Once replaced on 7/22/2011, the vehicle is performing as expected in a normal fashion. I have the defective part in my possession, and I am working to provide the unit to a NHTSA representative.

- Naperville, IL, USA

Jul 232011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Thankfully to date there have not been any crashes or injuries to discuss. However, we have a 2007 Ford Freestyle. It is a great and safe car to carry our family. It has been great on long road trips. About 1 or so years ago, we noticed these small 'surges¿ that the car would do when slowing into a parking spot, pulling into the driveway, or parked at a traffic light. Like any good american, we ignored it, thinking it was nothing. We keep the car well maintained, and just ¿chalked¿ it up to chance. Over the past 4 months or so it has gotten much worse. Just two days ago I was driving the car and pulling slowly into a parking spot. There was a cement median in front of me. I wasn¿T talking the phone, texting, listening to loud music, in fact I was going to a yoga class. I had my foot over the brake, as I was pulling in slowly, and the car surged. I had to really press my foot really hard into the brake. This same thing happened to me when I was as I approached a stop light. I was slowing down, going less than 5 mph and had my foot over the brake. All of a sudden the car surges and I find myself slamming on the break pedal. It is ¿unnerving¿ to say the least. My husband spoke with my father in law, and he sent us a link. As it turns out, this has been an issue. The symptoms that are described online are exactly what is happening to us. I called my local fordland dealer in lakewood, Colorado, and he said he never heard of this. I have also called Ford customer service and they have ¿escalated¿ the case. I hope this is helpful. Thank you!

- 80403, CO, USA