2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid:

2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jul 022014

Fusion Hybrid

Was on high way doing 65 or so on a 90 degree day with the a.C. blasting at 65 degrees. Noticed a yellow wrench symbol on the dash. Looked it up in owners manual and it said power train/throttle malfunction. I immediately called the dealership and they said to turn the car on and off and that it might be a programming issue. The symbol went away when I turned it off but when I accelerated on a left turn three miles later my car smoked. When I took it in to be checked out I was told about a $119.95 diagnostic fee and later, that I needed a new water pump. If this $850 "repair" doesn't work, I will be looking into this throttle body issue.

- Randolph, MA, USA

Jun 302014

Fusion Hybrid 4-cyl

I was driving at about 65 mph and the wrench light came on and the car would not accelerate at all if I slowed down. When I slowed down to take a turn the car would still not accelerate. I took it to a Ford dealership which I have an extended warranty on and they indicate it is not included since the part is considered an emissions control part.

- Bastrop, TX, USA

Dec 162013

Fusion Hybrid 4-cyl

Driving up to freeway on ramp when orange wrench indicating a powertrain problem appeared on the dashboard. Had just gotten onto the freeway, then about a mile down the freeway, began having a drastic loss of power until I was down to 20-25 mph. Turned on my emergency flashers and made my way to the right lane and managed to get off the freeway without getting struck from behind. Turned the car off and back on again, and the car ran without a problem, full power back onto the freeway. Unfortunately, this incident repeated itself multiple times again, with the powertrain control module essentially shutting down the motor and forcing me to drive at speeds so slow as to be unsafe. Problem is remedied temporarily by shutting off the ignition and turning it back on, with the engine behaving completely normally until the orange wrench reappears which gives me short notice that the powertrain control module will soon shut down the power to the car creating a supremely dangerous situation in traffic. Made it to the dealer today, problem was a faulty throttle body obd 2 code P2112 indicated a stuck closed throttle body. Repaired no charge under the 5 year/60,000 mile powertrain warranty. Extremely dangerous though, hope no else has to experience this.

- Granada Hills, CA, USA

Sep 012013

Fusion Hybrid 4-cyl

On 9/1/13 I was traveling home from vacation on I95 when the wrench light came on the dash. I was driving 80 mph when the light came on and slowed down to 70 mph. The light stayed on until we made a stop and the car was off for about 10 minutes. When we started the vehicle again, the light was off. After traveling for a while the wrench light came back on again. This time I was going about 75 mph. And I slowed down to 70 mph again. The light stayed on for the duration of the trip. On 9/7/13 the light came on again on a long trip on the interstate. I was going about 70 mph. We stopped after about 15 minutes of driving to get something to drink. When the vehicle started up again the light was off. Once again after driving a while the wrench light came back on and stayed on until I got home. The next day when I started the vehicle the light was off. The only thing I can gather is that in hot temperatures, driving on the interstate or faster than 70 mph, this problems exists. On both trips the morning driving did not set off the wrench light but the afternoon driving did.

- Beaufort, SC, USA

Aug 062013

Fusion Hybrid

Vehicle suddenly loses power and decelerates to about 35 mph. Very dangerous in highway driving. Have had to pull over to emergency lane of road to shut off engine for a few minutes and restart. After doing so, sometimes it continues to have low power, other times it is ok. This morning I was on an incline of a bridge and the car suddenly decelerated from about 55 mpg to 20 mph. There was nowhere to pull over and had to turn on my flashers as cars and trucks rapidly came up behind me.

- Sewell, NJ, USA

Aug 122013

Fusion Hybrid 4-cyl

I was going down a slight hill at approximately 20mph without brakes because the vehicle was staying at a steady speed without them. Suddenly the vehicle started accelerating on its own. I briefly applied the brakes and then let up on the brakes. The vehicle again started to accelerate. About that time I noticed a yellow wrench icon (similar to engine light). While I was looking at the warning light the vehicle came dangerously close to the vehicle in front of me. This is the 4th time this has happened with this vehicle over a period of about a year. Basically the vehicle accelerates to 30mph and stays there regardless of what you do with the accelerator. In order to stop it from accelerating you need to constantly ride the brakes. I have attempted to have the vehicle repaired after each incident. The Ford dealership apparently has no idea what the problem is and has no idea how to prevent it from happening again. The last time I was in all they did was change the 12V battery.

- North Bend, WA, USA

Aug 092013

Fusion Hybrid 4-cyl

Powertrain warning light appeared and car would not accelerate above 25mph. Issue cleared and then light came on again a day later, this time car drove fine. Took to dealer and diagnosed sticking throttle body assembly. Dealer reported this happens frequently and $500 cost is not covered under warranty. Quick internet search showed this seems to be a pervasive safety issue that is not being addressed adequately by Ford.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Jul 042013

Fusion Hybrid 4-cyl

Why has nothing been done yet? I'm a fairly poor upstanding member of society, and I was trying to be green. Now I'm stuck with a $16,000 go cart that I cant drive on a highway because it can't go over 35mph. I had 2 yellow wrenches on my dash. I was stuck in a one lane rode with no place to pull over and about 100 people honking at me. I have been a faithful Ford owner for over 13 years; I've been telling my friends and co-workers how great they are. Now I have to beg for them to fix my car, or I can go get ripped off by my local dealer. Please help. I thought you people were better than this.

- Dublin, OH, USA

May 042013

Fusion Hybrid

I was on the left lane going 55mph on a freeway up a slight incline when I noticed I was losing speed. Pressed the gas pedal a little harder thinking I needed to compensate for the incline, but the car would not accelerate. I noticed a yellow wrench appear on the left side of the dash display. I had the gas pedal to the ground and car still would not accelerate but decelerated all the way down to 30mph where it stopped decelerating and maintained this speed. I had to maneuver at 30mph off the freeway to get into the right shoulder lane. Turned the car off, then back on. Yellow wrench no longer visible and car operated normally. This poses a very dangerous situation. Luckily it was not during rush hour traffic and the cars behind me yielded to my hazard lights and let me get to the right shoulder lane.

- Waipahu, HI, USA

Apr 202013

Fusion Hybrid

Tonight we started car, pulled out, but the car would not accelerate properly. We noticed that the wrench light had gone on. The highest speed it could get to was 30 mph, but every time we stopped, it took a long time to accelerate. This is an extremely dangerous problem; we almost got rear-ended several times late at night and had difficulty moving through intersections. Looking online when we got home, we've discovered that there are many websites detailing this problem. It appears to be the throttle body? safety recall is needed!!!

- Santa Clara, CA, USA

Apr 032013

Fusion Hybrid 4-cyl

Just got the car home from the dealer and 1 week after they updated the computer for the same problem again today. Driving the car, wrench light comes on then car idles and goes limp does not go over 40 mph and the hybrid signal would not go over 20 on the screen with the leaves. Took the car home and then engine light comes on towed back to same dealer who stated it needs a 425 dollar throttle valve that I said it needed last week and was told my car does not have one. These cars should last better than 60 000 miles without a major powertrain problem that is not covered under the warrenty. I love the features and style of this car but I see large repairs in the future so trade in here I come.

- Jupiter, FL, USA

Mar 182013

Fusion Hybrid 4-cyl

Driving my daughter to school put the car in park to drop her off car was idling, when I put the car back in gear a wrench appeared on the dashboard screen. I drove the car home and could not get the car to accelerate. It would only go 30 mph. This was dangerous because I had to cross a major road to get back home and had to wait since the car would not accelerate. Called Ford dealer and was told to tow it not drive to dealership.

- Jupiter, FL, USA