2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid:

2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Dec 162016

Fusion Hybrid

Power steering is not working. Have taken to mechanic twice who cannot find anything wrong other than to reset computer. Steering works for a few days then fails again. Typically get warning light, then after vehicle is turned off, power steering no longer works. Have researched this issue, seems to be common among Ford Fusion since 2010.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Oct 252016

Fusion Hybrid

Our 18 year old daughter was driving the car when the power steering ceased to function. She was able to stop and call us for help. We took it to a dealer and they said the whole power steering needed to be replaced. The car had just under 100,000 miles on it.

- Old Lyme, CT, USA

Dec 192016

Fusion Hybrid

The power steering randomly gave out while I was driving. At first a light came on the dash board that said service power steering now. Then another light saying service advance track. After I parked my car turned it off and went to turn it back on I was no longer able to easily turn my steering wheel.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Dec 092016

Fusion Hybrid

As we were driving about 35 miles an hour, the power steering repair light and the advancetrac repair light both suddenly came on. We were almost to our destination. After we stopped at our destination, the power steering was completely shut off in the vehicle. We had to have the vehicle towed and the repair charges (from the Ford dealer) are estimated to be $2391. For a car that's barely 6 years old and in otherwise great condition (~80,000 miles) to have a sudden failure that would lead to extremely expensive repairs is ridiculous. I worry, based on what I've read from other users online, that if we hadn't been about 1 minute from our destination that the power steering would have just shut off while we were driving, which would have been very dangerous on such a curvy road.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Nov 122016

Fusion Hybrid

Power steering went out when I was leaving at store almost causing a wreck.

- Reidsville, GA, USA

Oct 152016

Fusion Hybrid

My power steering went out while my wife was driving the car with my kids in it. She totally lost all power steering making a turn, I took to the dealer and they said they had to replace the rack. About 3 months later it happened again while she was getting ready to turning in our driveway. I took back to the dealer they said it was fine just needed reprogrammed. It worked for about 6 months and now it is doing the same thing. I cant afford to take it to the dealer again so it is sitting in my driveway.

- Martinsburg, WV, USA

Oct 132016

Fusion Hybrid 4WD 6-cyl

On 10/13/16 while driving the steering wheel locked, power steering assist fault appeared on the dash and I ran into a telephone pole. My passenger and myself were injured and the car is totaled.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Oct 252016

Fusion Hybrid 4-cyl

Tuesday, October 25th, I was driving my 2010 Ford Fusion approximately 20 mph when the power steering and advancetrac lights came on my dash. I stopped, turned the car off and back on. The lights stayed on and the power steering wasn't working. I had the car towed by aaa to a aaa approved mechanic. The informed me that there is a second NHTSA investigation on the 2010 Fusion for this problem, and a recall on the 2011-2012 Fusion that have the same part and problem. The aaa mechanic wouldn't touch the car! I called the Ford customer service number, but without a recall, they were not willing to do anything for me. I took it to the local Ford dealership where they reset the codes, charged me $94.99 for diagnostic service, and everything works fine now. I am hoping that this gets me by until the much needed safety recall is issued so I can have the steering fixed the right way. My wife drives this car and we have many children that ride in it. There is not way that she could steer the car if the power steering goes out again. It makes it very hard to turn the steering wheel and happens without warning, and impossible to make sharp turns. This problem needs to be resolved with a safety recall asap.

- Belmont, NH, USA

Oct 012016

Fusion Hybrid

On multiple occasions during past 3 years, I experienced a sudden loss of power steering, which could be reinstated by pulling over, shutting off engine and restarting car. A few weeks ago, it could not be reinstated and I have had a permanently loss of steering. The isolated incidents occurred while driving, sometimes in a parking lot where I came close to hitting cars because I could barely muster the physical strength necessary to steer in tight spots, other times while driving in city streets. They appeared to occur randomly about once over few months until it finally happened permanently. So far, I have not had any accidents or injuries, although I cannot let my wife drive the car because she lacks the physical strength to overcome the loss of power steering. The car is now with the dealership where I bought it and they are charging me approximately $1,900 to replace the entire steering assembly. The specific information given below is for the last, permanent occurrence.

- Lexington, MA, USA

Mar 162015

Fusion Hybrid

Power steering went out without warning while driving.

- Pinole, CA, USA

Sep 302016

Fusion Hybrid

While making a left turn I seemed to loose control of the steering and hit the opposite curb so hard that a large chunk was torn in both passenger side tires. I was driving on a Suburban street and had a left turn traffic signal. I did not know how it happened and called aaa to be towed to a station and had to purchase two new tires.

- La Jolla, CA, USA

Sep 112016

Fusion Hybrid

While on travel, I went to start my car and got a warning message that the power steering needed to be serviced. There was no earlier indication (noise, periodic failure, etc.) that power steering was on the way out. Thankfully I was not driving at the time. Online research revealed a recall for nearly all later models 2011-2015, but not mine for the exact same issue.

- Candler, NC, USA

Sep 012016

Fusion Hybrid

My daughter was driving the vehicle in los angeles on a one-way street in the hills and heard a loud noise right before the steering wheel locked on her. The 'service power steering now" red light came on but the steering wheel would not move. The car was towed into galpin Ford. Galpin quoted $2200 to repair and suggested that I call Ford customer service. A couple of calls into Ford yielded two apologies and said that the car is not part of the major recall and therefore not under warranty. This year and model has the worst number of complaints for steering wheel

- Moorpark, CA, USA

Jul 082016

Fusion Hybrid

Occasional stiff steering feel when correcting for straight tracking

- Havertown, PA, USA

May 112016

Fusion Hybrid

While driving on a busy street (with 2 small children) we lost all power steering, on a busy street causing unsafe driving conditions. The service advancetrac (avs) and service power steering errors came on as this happened.

- Benicia, CA, USA

Mar 062016

Fusion Hybrid

I went to drive my vehicle and it showed 2 alarms on the dash. A traction control warning and a power steering needs service. I drove the car 5 miles to church. Upon coming out of church and getting back in the vehicle, the same 2 alarms were on the dash, but the power steering changed to service now. The power steering in the car was gone. I struggled to get the car out of a parking spot and back to my home. It is now sitting in the yard. I am very concerned that if this would have occurred while driving, that I could have experienced an accident.

- Rowland, NC, USA

Dec 062015

Fusion Hybrid

Steering gear malfunctioned. When taken to the service department, the service manager said there were 2648 of these parts on back order. It has been two months since this car has been sitting at the service department with no action being taken. Still waiting on the part from Ford. The part malfunctioned while driving on a city street, going straight. Warning alerts appeared on the dashboard with no initial indication of anything going wrong with the part. Drove the vehicle home 30 miles, no change in original condition of steering. When taking the car out the next day, that was the first indication that there was no power steering.

- Iron Mountain, MI, USA

Sep 262015

Fusion Hybrid

While my daughter was driving my car the power steering failed unexpectedly and she was lucky she was near our home. I brought the car to the dealership and they said the part will cost $1500 and it is on backorder for over two weeks! I bought this car used and found out the same part was replaced at 65,000 miles. I was told by the dealership that it's common to have to replace that part every 65,000 miles! I have had many cars and I have never once had to replace a steering gear, never mind twice. I think Ford has faulty parts and should take accountability for it!! right now I am out of a car for over two weeks and the dealership they can not give me a loaner even though it's Ford who doesn't have the part. I will never buy a Ford again after this. The cars are unsafe amd no one is doing a thing about it! melanie haskins

- Franklin, NH, USA

Aug 252015

Fusion Hybrid

Driving home about 55mph when steering got stiff and "power steering failure" followed by "advancetrac failure", then "service advancetrac system" warning messages and chimes appeared. Managed to get home without the power-assist but upon stopping on driveway and restarting car, steering was gone altogether and I could not turn the wheel. Impossible to drive. Spoke to Ford cust. Serv. Next morning who said there were no issues reported on this car and no safety recalls (although he admitted there were safety recalls on all subsequent model years of this car for steering issues) and he suggested taking it to the dealer. I told him it was impossible to drive so he arranged (and covered the cost of) a towtruck to take it to the nearest dealer. They tested the car and found only a blown power steering system fuse. After replacing fuse and testing the car they said it was now fixed. They could not identify the problem that caused the fuse to blow. I explained that I was now scared to drive the car in case it happened again and what if.... it happened at higher speed and the car won't steer? the dealer service manager is contacting Ford to see what she can do. Total cost to fix the fuse and diagnostic test was $111.

- Butler, OH, USA

Aug 152015

Fusion Hybrid

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion hybrid. While driving approximately 60 mph, the warning message for service power steering and service auto trac illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The dealer ran a diagnostic and the system reset itself. The mechanic diagnosed that the electric power assist system needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 68,000.

- Avon Park, FL, USA